HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

What would you give up to get Columbus' top-2 pick?

Old
03-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
What would you give up to get Columbus' top-2 pick?

Suppose that the rumor that Columbus would be willing to trade out of their draft slot--stupid, but unsurprising given both their incompetence and history with Russian players they've drafted early--what would you offer to get that #1 or #2 overall pick?

So as to avoid what would be the inevitable "Roy + Stafford + 2nd" offers, assume Columbus has stated that they're only interested in the following assets:

-Picks
-Prospects
-NHL roster players 25 or younger and with a cap hit under $3m

Also assume our picks are what they were entering today: 10, 22, 40, and 43.

Make an offer that gets it done. Or would you not try to acquire the pick?

Last edited by Zip15: 03-11-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:57 PM
kirby11

vCash: 500
NSH 1st+Adam+Sekera?

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:06 PM
gallagt01

I'd only try and move up to that spot if none of the five or so teams that pick after Columbus are willing to trade their pick.

Assuming that were the case, the most I would offer would be:

BUF 1st, NSH 1st, Luke Adam.

And I don't think Columbus does it.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Buffalo 1st, Nashville 1st, Luke Adam, Mark Pysyk for what is essentially Grigorenko.

To be honest, I'd rather just trade to get into the top 7-ish and get Galenychuk (Or however you spell it).

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:28 PM
joshjull

No interest in trading for the pick. I don't see the players available worth the potential payment.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
No interest in trading for the pick. I don't see the players available worth the potential payment.
I disagree.

If you're trading 10+22+a prospect for 1 or 2, you're going to get the best player.
There are three players that have legitimate franchise potential and all three should go in the top five, if not top three.
Outside of those players, there aren't even many project type forwards that end up being steals at the end of the 1st (Getzlaf, Giroux, etc.).
There just isn't a lot of offensive potential in this draft.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

both of our first rounders and a top 5 prospect.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:43 PM
rsg87

I think it all depends on where we pick and if we believe I Galenychuk will still be available

rsg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:29 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Suppose that the rumor that Columbus would be willing to trade out of their draft slot--stupid, but unsurprising given both their incompetence and history with Russian players they've drafted early--what would you offer to get that #1 or #2 overall pick?
So as to avoid what would be the inevitable "Roy + Stafford + 2nd" offers, assume Columbus has stated that they're only interested in the following assets:

-Picks
-Prospects
-NHL roster players 25 or younger and with a cap hit under $3m

Also assume our picks are what they were entering today: 10, 22, 40, and 43.

Make an offer that gets it done. Or would you not try to acquire the pick?
Ennis Brennan rights to scheistal sp? 22 43 for 2 and 4th

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:36 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Given the trade value established by other picks into the top-5 (like PIT in '02), I'd say it would take:

Brennan

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:38 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

And if Columbus gets a better offer, oh well, more than that is too much given the market value for the #2 pick. Let someone else gut their farm and see what happens.

Frankly, if it does get traded I'd be pretty surprised if it goes for more than that.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:47 PM
DJN21

cant even comment on draft day stuff yet. I wouldnt wanna sacrifice what itd take to get the 1 or 2...i want galyenchuck badly though. Gotta see who falls where in the draft and see if the surplus of good young Dmen could possibly slide him down a few spots..

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:08 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

These are quite the restrictions given out by Howson......

.....??

What if the offer they want includes Roy & Stafford?

Sweet!

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
I don't see Columbus even trading their pick at this point. They're shopping Nash who wants out and trading away other players for picks. They're in full rebuild mode. They'll use their pick to draft a Stud star prospect.

Hell, I don't even think they'd trade the pick for Tyler Myers AND Brayden Mcnabb.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:51 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I disagree.

If you're trading 10+22+a prospect for 1 or 2 , you're going to get the best player.
There are three players that have legitimate franchise potential and all three should go in the top five, if not top three.
Outside of those players, there aren't even many project type forwards that end up being steals at the end of the 1st (Getzlaf, Giroux, etc.).
There just isn't a lot of offensive potential in this draft.
I don't think that gets you the pick once the bidding war starts. Plus if those players are the types you describe them to be, then why on earth would Columbus trade the pick? Aside from stupidity.

Last edited by joshjull: 03-12-2012 at 12:04 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:06 AM
jfb392

Quote:
I don't think that gets you the pick once the bidding war starts.
Add more then, we'd still be getting the best player.

Quote:
Plus if those players are the types you describe them to be then why on earth would Columbus trade the pick? Aside from stupidity.
You answered your own question there.
Columbus loves doing stupid things and being made fun of for it; it seems to be their sole purpose for existence.

Prime example:

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:13 AM
DJN21

if i cant tarde up i take gaunce and best available then work from their, even if we get gaunce and can trade 1,2,2 or some combo for a nhl proven talent id listen....draft gaunce trade for brown etc...

Old
03-12-2012, 01:17 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
if i cant tarde up i take gaunce and best available then work from their, even if we get gaunce and can trade 1,2,2 or some combo for a nhl proven talent id listen....draft gaunce trade for brown etc...
I can't really tell who you want the Sabres to draft........who?

Old
03-12-2012, 01:20 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I can't really tell who you want the Sabres to draft........who?
ideally galyenchuck...if we miss gaunce. If we somehow miss both...id look for a deal for nhl talent if not then to the stand by and go best player available...to me its simple its galyenchuck or fail....gaunce would be good but hes not a team changing guy...

Old
03-12-2012, 01:28 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
ideally galyenchuck...if we miss gaunce. If we somehow miss both...id look for a deal for nhl talent if not then to the stand by and go best player available...to me its simple its galyenchuck or fail....gaunce would be good but hes not a team changing guy...
Team-changer, no, but game-changer? Certainly has the potential. I don't love Gaunce's offensive upside, but I do see him as a game changer being the type of guy who leads by example.

Very few are "team changers".... only the most elite of the elite are. Duchene is a game changer. Ovechkin is a team changer.

Old
03-12-2012, 01:34 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Team-changer, no, but game-changer? Certainly has the potential. I don't love Gaunce's offensive upside, but I do see him as a game changer being the type of guy who leads by example.

Very few are "team changers".... only the most elite of the elite are. Duchene is a game changer. Ovechkin is a team changer.
Id argue ovechkin is a team changer in a negative sense lol.

But I feel Gaunce might top out at a center who hits, pk's and averages 60 points...not a team or game changer..alex galyenchuck is a potential 80-90 point center whos basement is tanking without Yakupov. Which is why im willing to gamble on either

Old
03-12-2012, 02:39 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Id argue ovechkin is a team changer in a negative sense lol.

But I feel Gaunce might top out at a center who hits, pk's and averages 60 points...not a team or game changer..alex galyenchuck is a potential 80-90 point center whos basement is tanking without Yakupov. Which is why im willing to gamble on either
At this very moment in time, I can't vehemently argue against it. But they did a complete 180 as a franchise after they drafted him. That's a "team changer" in my mind, and I think the two names are the only guys capable of possibly doing that. And I don't think anybody in this draft class will become a "team changer".

But that's a loosely defined term, if defined at all...so... salt grain

Old
03-12-2012, 05:22 AM
Digable5

Back to the trade with Columbus idea. I actually think the team you should be targeting in a trade up is Edmonton. Granted they aren't guarantees a top two slot but they are motivated to male a deal. If they have the #2 pick they have enough center depth to be willing to move out of the position. They need Dmen that are in abundance in this draft and in our farm system. They may also be willing to take roster players/ready prospects because it's about time they get out of the basement.

Seems like a good fit for us to get Grigorenko. I'm for moving up, but Im also hoping we move NSH1st and CAL2nd for Parise's rights and that may hurt our chances. Maybe our 1st and 2nd this year and a D prospect or 1st next year?

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg87 View Post
I think it all depends on where we pick and if we believe I Galenychuk will still be available
I can't see Galchenyuk making it out of the top-4 or 5, and we likely won't be picking around then. Most agree that he's one of the three most talented players in the draft, but there are still injury concerns. If he returns to Sarnia this season and performs well in the playoffs, that'll likely put much of the doubt to bed. With the premium on centers, I don't think he'll slip much at all.

Quote:
These are quite the restrictions given out by Howson......

.....??

What if the offer they want includes Roy & Stafford?

Sweet!
In the context of a rebuild, such restrictions make complete sense. What good does Derek Roy do them? They're not making the playoffs next season with him, his salary is $5.5m--a lot for a team hemorrhaging money--and they'd likely have to overpay to keep once he becomes UFA. All he'd potentially do for them is perform just well enough to keep them out of the MacKinnon Sweepstakes. And why take on a somewhat inconsistent winger with a bloated salary?

Picks, prospects, and young, cheap roster players make the most sense for them. I was hoping the thread could have a realistic discussion of what it would take to get the pick, otherwise we were just going to get "Roy + Nashville 1st" or "Roy + Stafford + 2nd" offers that CBJ would never accept given their current competitive and financial predicament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post
I don't see Columbus even trading their pick at this point. They're shopping Nash who wants out and trading away other players for picks. They're in full rebuild mode. They'll use their pick to draft a Stud star prospect.

Hell, I don't even think they'd trade the pick for Tyler Myers AND Brayden Mcnabb.
Quote:
I don't think that gets you the pick once the bidding war starts. Plus if those players are the types you describe them to be, then why on earth would Columbus trade the pick? Aside from stupidity.
If the latest rumor is true, it'd be a continuation of what many on the CBJ board have been saying for awhile: they don't want to draft another talented Russian after being burned by early busts like Filatov and Zherdev. Personally, I think it's silly. They should draft Yakupov/Grigorenko, trade Nash for the best package of futures they can get, and put themselves in the running for MacKinnon next year. But anyone who's paid attention to that organization knows they often do the exact opposite of what they should do.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they traded out of their slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Back to the trade with Columbus idea. I actually think the team you should be targeting in a trade up is Edmonton. Granted they aren't guarantees a top two slot but they are motivated to male a deal. If they have the #2 pick they have enough center depth to be willing to move out of the position. They need Dmen that are in abundance in this draft and in our farm system. They may also be willing to take roster players/ready prospects because it's about time they get out of the basement.

Seems like a good fit for us to get Grigorenko. I'm for moving up, but Im also hoping we move NSH1st and CAL2nd for Parise's rights and that may hurt our chances. Maybe our 1st and 2nd this year and a D prospect or 1st next year?
But would they trade out of #2 or #3 to go all the way to #10? I don't think so. I think they want Murray or Dumba. If they can trade back to #4 or #5, I think they may, but not all the way to #10.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:21 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

And with the second overall pick of the NHL Entry Draft, the Buffalo Sabres are proud to select Matt Dumba.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote