HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lame Day Thread: 13 Mar 2012 - Stars @ Wild: State of Denial Edition - 7PM - FSN

Old
03-14-2012, 01:14 AM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

vCash: 500
Oh great the injury bug is so bad for the Wild it's hitting the fans.

Whenever I get lack of sleep, I still get headaches from PCS once in a while, it blows big time. Usually always right around in the area where I got hit. ****ing concussions.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:58 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Ouch. What did you do? I've had a collapsed lung issue since last Saturday...
I dunno, it was just like when you move a joint and it pops by itself. Usually those dont hurt but for some reason this one stung for a few minutes. Feels fine now tho.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

On the plus side, I resumed workouts yesterday, so I'm getting healthier

I actually watched most of the game for some reason. My thoughts:

- This team cannot send or receive passes AT ALL. The vast majority missed the target, hit the skates, or the player just couldn't handle it. NHL'ers without exception should be able to catch pretty much any pass within a few feet of their body, and these guys can't. My favorite was a tape-to-tape right on Veilleux's stick and he still managed to turn it over.

- Maybe I'm only noticing because it's in the news, but that proposed rule to put the red line back in would completely kill the Wild's game plan. Probably 95% of the time, and I'm not exaggerating at all, the "breakout" is a slap pass from deep in the zone to a forward who tips the puck just at the center red line. Granted Dallas did this after they had the lead late in the third, but that was the Wild's play every single time. I wish I could go back to see how they looked early in the season but I remember a lot more solid first passes and skating through the neutral zone early in the year.

- Yep, still no skill up front in the offensive zone. No surprise. Maybe a couple good chances but mostly Dallas, like every other team, realizes this team has no skill, therefore pressures the hell out of the puck carrier, and forces turnovers. Teams have been doing this all year, being very aggressive attacking the puck carrier, even on the PK, and it's been working like a charm. Koivu and Bouchard were pretty much the only two guys who could handle that pressure and force them to respect the space. Desperately need more skill up front.

- Another annoying system thing, every time the Wild enters the zone it just fires the puck on net from the top of the circles, which is basically a turnover. They have absolutely no confidence in their ability to generate offense or plays, so they just take terrible shots. No wonder they keep getting shut out over and over.

- On the plus side, I liked Gilbert's game tonight. Hackett made some nice stops too. I liked that one shift in the third period when the Wild got mad and started trying to hit and play hockey.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:02 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
- Maybe I'm only noticing because it's in the news, but that proposed rule to put the red line back in would completely kill the Wild's game plan. Probably 95% of the time, and I'm not exaggerating at all, the "breakout" is a slap pass from deep in the zone to a forward who tips the puck just at the center red line. Granted Dallas did this after they had the lead late in the third, but that was the Wild's play every single time. I wish I could go back to see how they looked early in the season but I remember a lot more solid first passes and skating through the neutral zone early in the year.
That proposed rule is the worst suggestion I've heard since the trapezoid. No, it's even worse than that. "Let's add yet another line on the ice and effectively increase the size of the neutral zone to encourage a new style of trap." Seriously, who comes up with this crap?

Possibly just as bad is the (shot down) suggestion to not only make defensive hand passes illegal, but to make them a minor penalty. There's fantastically solid reasons for allowing the hand passes (keeps sticks lower improving safety, and keeps the game moving because the defense can't draw a faceoff with an intentional hand pass). Removing them really serves no purpose, and would be a case of change for change's sake.

If they want a to reverse the imagined decrease in scoring (5v5 scoring per 60 minutes is unchanged since the lockout) just reeducate refs to the point they understand that Detroit style "subtle interference" is still interference. Call those penalties as penalties and overall scoring will increase again.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:23 AM
651*

Ugh. ANother goose egg. I tried to watch last night (and did, mostly) but this team is really hard to watch.

I suppose much of this team leading the league in lowest scoring per game has something to do with us also leading the league in injuries, but I believe somehow I was duped into believing they were legitimate contenders after leading the league in points just before the halfway mark.

I am just disappointed overall, really. Mostly in Setoguchi and Heatley, but I will not get into their contributions (or lack thereof).

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:27 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
That's a pretty good deal, I love Domino's.

SCSU does a deal where every time the Huskies score 6 goals, everyone in attendance gets a free order of wings from Buffalo Wild Wings. Happens a couple times every year. Too bad I'm not a huge fan of the restaurant.
The last time I was at an SCSU game they were still serving Dominos at the NHC.

Old
03-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
The last time I was at an SCSU game they were still serving Dominos at the NHC.
They don't have the pizza stand anymore?? Unacceptable!

I haven't been to a game in almost two years. Went a lot during my Freshman year, then the team lost a couple key players due to alcohol related incidents and my classes started getting harder.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
That proposed rule is the worst suggestion I've heard since the trapezoid. No, it's even worse than that. "Let's add yet another line on the ice and effectively increase the size of the neutral zone to encourage a new style of trap." Seriously, who comes up with this crap?

Possibly just as bad is the (shot down) suggestion to not only make defensive hand passes illegal, but to make them a minor penalty. There's fantastically solid reasons for allowing the hand passes (keeps sticks lower improving safety, and keeps the game moving because the defense can't draw a faceoff with an intentional hand pass). Removing them really serves no purpose, and would be a case of change for change's sake.

If they want a to reverse the imagined decrease in scoring (5v5 scoring per 60 minutes is unchanged since the lockout) just reeducate refs to the point they understand that Detroit style "subtle interference" is still interference. Call those penalties as penalties and overall scoring will increase again.
This. A million times this. Mike Babcock really has ****ed up the game with his subtle interference ********. I cant stand watching detroit because of it, and I cant stand the refs who constantly fail to call it.

Seriously. The league wants to increase scoring again? Just make the refs crack down on this, like they are supposed to.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:18 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
They don't have the pizza stand anymore?? Unacceptable!

I haven't been to a game in almost two years. Went a lot during my Freshman year, then the team lost a couple key players due to alcohol related incidents and my classes started getting harder.
I was there a little before that. I have family member that played for the Huskies. I was probably there about 3 years ago or so. Yes, they were selling Dominos that I recall.