HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kessel steamed about losing

Old
03-13-2012, 10:19 AM
number72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKLeafFan View Post
Yawning is not just caused by being tired/bored.

Whenever I start doing cardio I yawn until until my breathing gets in a rhythm. The yawn is triggered because my body needs more oxygen.

If I really focus on breathing I can avoid yawning....if I don't focus on breathing it just corrects itself after 5 minutes or so.

Do a google search for more info. Phil and I aren't alone
I never yawn when I workout hard. I do when I'm sitting at my desk or bored in front of the TV. I can imagine the passive defensive game is a bit boring to play for kessel and just as much a snooze as I find it watching the new leafs defensive system.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
BUNGLADEISH

vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafan519 View Post
Actions speak louder than words.
Are you for real?

The guys is top 5 in goals and points and has been one of the best players all season long.

Sorry if he isn't jesus.

People just need a reason to bash this team.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
Hoo boy.

Somehow defending the Laich play means that he thinks Kessel has never been weak on the man. I know you're trying to talk about how overrated Kessel is because he's not an all-around player, but try to put a little less vitriol in your hatred.

If he's an apologist, I guess that makes you a mere derider.

Though I disagree with your assessment on the Laich play, I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Chara play... but let's not pretend that Phil Kessel is the only guy in the NHL to back off of Chara. :p
This is the only thing I want to further address that I was going to let slide is, constructive criticism on a player is considered hatred or vitriol only on a Leafs forum, yet you agree partially with me on Kessel backing off of Chara, then you add what player wouldn't? Datsyuk? Toews maybe? Thus your opinion means far less when you start adding excuses. Well done for the apology club that like to ignore accountabilty for on ice actions or lack of in this case.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:32 AM
UCLeafs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz* View Post
I remember I yawned at work yesterday, which pretty much meant I didn't want the company to succeed.
winner

UCLeafs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:35 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Looks like Kessel gets back and keeps Laich to the outside, he just needs to do a better job jamming up Laich. I'm doubtful that's effort related, since he's in a position to do it and is making an attempt.

I agree on the Chara play, that was a soft play and he knew it, but I don't buy in to the "Kessel is poor defensively, so everything he does in his own end is wrong concept"
If Kessel took a direct line towards Laich and skated through him, I doubt he scores. This play takes very little effort to execute.

Listen Kessel has played well for most of the year, but when we needed him most he seems to be checking out now. Again body language of slamming sticks, fustration, head down at the bench, yawns are not positive indicators. He should be sucking it up and proving he can play as well if not better without Lupul. A character player would think this way, let me lead, climb on my back.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Yawning or not, I don't give a damn.

But the guy needs to rely more on his will and heart than skills alone. That will work wonders.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:41 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
If Kessel took a direct line towards Laich and skated through him, I doubt he scores. This play takes very little effort to execute.

Listen Kessel has played well for most of the year, but when we needed him most he seems to be checking out now. Again body language of slamming sticks, fustration, head down at the bench, yawns are not positive indicators. He should be sucking it up and proving he can play as well if not better without Lupul. A character player would think this way, let me lead, climb on my back.
Kessel was positioning himself so that Laich couldn't cut out in front of the goal for the deke forcing Laich to take the angle shot which unfortunately went in.

Too bad I didn't get here earlier to put an end to this nonsense.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:

I rather have him show that he cares than not show any emotions. If he doesn't do any of those things, then we would think he doesn't care about this team.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:42 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
You are an apologist, you did this for Wilson and now you are making excuses for Kessel. As if Kessel has never been weak on the man, did you notice also how he let Chara walk in and blast a deflected shot in last week also or was Kessel too tired after a long shift again?
I'm not making excuses for Kessel. You pointed to an exact instance whereby I had a real reason. I've never said Kessel has never been soft on a player and I've even mentioned I would like him to be better all around but all you see is "omg Kessle > all playerz"

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:44 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Kessel was positioning himself so that Laich couldn't cut out in front of the goal for the deke forcing Laich to take the angle shot which unfortunately went in.

It wouldn't have worked. I already stated this exact point. He drove the middle to keep the shot wide.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:44 AM
EazyB97

Quote:

So it's decision making, not effort? Kessel's there, he keeps him to the outside given the situation and prevents Laich from cutting, but he doesn't jam him up or make the hit. This seems a little different than the effort complaint you had earlier.

I'd say they needed him at the start of this whole downfall, but he was there for the team then.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:45 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:

First of all, Jake made a mistake of that terrible overused breakout play that Laich read to his credit. Kessel saw everything in front of him but didn't communicate to Jake that Laich was there. Ok that's a 50-50 split second decision. Both are at fault.

Kessel gets back but sticks his stick out haphazardly. That's not commitment. That's not as bad as the Chara nonsense but you have to show more courage in those situations. It wasn't a good effort no matter how you guys couch it.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:52 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
First of all, Jake made a mistake of that terrible overused breakout play that Laich read to his credit. Kessel saw everything in front of him but didn't communicate to Jake that Laich was there. Ok that's a 50-50 split second decision. Both are at fault.

Kessel gets back but sticks his stick out haphazardly. That's not commitment. That's not as bad as the Chara nonsense but you have to show more courage in that situation. It wasn't a good effort no matter how you guys couch it.
Kessel slows down a bit to cut off the front of the net and when Laich doesn't make that move Kessel's forward momentum had already been reduced. Either way Laich sees him coming and can shoot before Kessel's stick gets in the way.

I think that we are getting a good idea of who has played hockey and who hasn't.

Old
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
So it's decision making, not effort? Kessel's there, he keeps him to the outside given the situation and prevents Laich from cutting, but he doesn't jam him up or make the hit. This seems a little different than the effort complaint you had earlier.

I'd say they needed him at the start of this whole downfall, but he was there for the team then.
He stuck his stick out haphazardly, you decide if this is a team or player desperate to make the sacrifice on winning in a must win game. Add that to Chara's play, what is it?

Old
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
It wouldn't have worked. I already stated this exact point. He drove the middle to keep the shot wide.
So are you both stating that Kessel can not read and react to what he could see happening on the ice .

He had the whole play in front of him and he did not react. He then made a wide circle and as per usual and did not have much effect on the play at all.

Kessel is a highly skilled player who has failed to develop any defensive conscience to his game. Boston traded him for a reason and it was for this reason that they did.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Kessel slows down a bit to cut off the front of the net and when Laich doesn't make that move Kessel's forward momentum had already been reduced. Either way Laich sees him coming and can shoot before Kessel's stick gets in the way.

I think that we are getting a good idea of who has played hockey and who hasn't.
What's your assessment of the Chara play? I am assuming you played hockey.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
So are you both stating that Kessel can not read and react to what he could see happening on the ice .

He had the whole play in front of him and he did not react. He then made a wide circle and as per usual and did not have much effect on the play at all.

Kessel is a highly skilled player who has failed to develop any defensive conscience to his game. Boston traded him for a reason and it was for this reason that they did.
Boston didn't want to trade Kessel. They aren't stupid.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:57 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
He stuck his stick out haphazardly, you decide if this is a team or player desperate to make the sacrifice on winning in a must win game. Add that to Chara's play, what is it?
Seems like you've changed your point from him not skating hard back or distracting Laich. Now it's you want him to get back, which he did, distract Laich (he took away options) and make a body play.

Doesn't seem like any of these are must-win games, the seasons over IMO and it looks like everyone knows it. They're playing for jobs next season now.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
What's your assessment of the Chara play? I am assuming you played hockey.
Chara saw Kessel coming and made a good move to stickhandle the puck to the other side to avoid the poke check.

Isn't that obvious?

Old
03-13-2012, 10:59 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Oh so I guess Burke held a gun to their heads......

Old
03-13-2012, 10:59 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
PC was quoted as surmising the Leafs finishing lower than Burke erroneously thought, he thought it was worth losing Kessel with the 3 picks. Chiarelli was right when the Leafs finished 29th, it is public knowledge now.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:01 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
PC was quoted as surmising the Leafs finishing lower than Burke erroneously thought, he thought it was worth losing Kessel with the 3 picks. Chiarelli was right when the Leafs finished 29th, it is public knowledge now.
Chiarelli was losing Kessel regardless, learn the facts.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:02 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Chara saw Kessel coming and made a good move to stickhandle the puck to the other side to avoid the poke check.

Isn't that obvious?
You mean he sheltered the puck with his body to avoid the stick check. As he as well as everyone else in the building knew sure as **** he was not going to hit him.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:03 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Chiarelli was losing Kessel regardless, learn the facts.
Oh wise man, please tell me the facts.....I will await you most intelligent reply.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:07 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Seems like you've changed your point from him not skating hard back or distracting Laich. Now it's you want him to get back, which he did, distract Laich (he took away options) and make a body play.

Doesn't seem like any of these are must-win games, the seasons over IMO and it looks like everyone knows it. They're playing for jobs next season now.
1. I want him to communicate to Jake better, obviously Jake didn't know Laich was back there.
2. I want him to show more urgency getting back
3. I want him to show more courage and or commitment to breaking up the play

What he did was the bare minimum of stopping Laich. Fine for the 1st wk in Sept not when in a must win game in a playoff race.

Any of the 3 I mentioned probably would have prevented a goal by Laich.

Hope this clarifies it for you.