HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Suffern HS wins boys state hockey title (& other downstate/Section 1 HS Hockey talk)

Old
03-12-2012, 01:55 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Suffern HS wins boys state hockey title (& other downstate/Section 1 HS Hockey talk)

Suffern HS, Rockland County, beat Pittsford today in the State Championship game in Utica, marking the first time a team from Section 1 (Westchester/Rockland/Putnam) has won a D1 state title in 20 years.

NYC suburb slays the upstate NY dragon. Finally.

I'm sure a ton of the fanbase on here consists of Westchester hockey players (c'mon pelicans, tigers, garnet, raiders, foxes etc fans/alum, give your props!)...so this was a win for all of us in terms of the dominance Upstate NY and Western NY have had on HS hockey the last couple decades. Aside from Monroe Woodbury in Orange County (which many consider upstate anyways [but Monroe/Woodbury isn't, it's about 15 miles from Suffern ]Section 9, D2), the entire "southern" part of the state has had a pretty big drought in public school HS hockey over this time span since 1992.

Congrats to the Mounties and the rest of Section 1 for a historic, enjoyable season.

Last edited by jBuds: 03-12-2012 at 02:31 AM.
jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:02 AM
Fanned On It

Yeah Suffern is always the team to beat around here where I live (Putnam/Northern Westchester). I always hear the high school kids at my rink (Brewster Ice Arena) talking about how sick Suffern is EVERY year and how they're always stacked hahaha.

Last edited by Fanned On It: 03-12-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:13 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Yeah Suffern is always the team to beat around here where I live (Putnam/Northern Westchester). I always here the high school kids at my rink (Brewster Ice Arena) talking about how sick Suffern is EVERY year and how they're always stacked hahaha.
Aren't you CHL bound, Steve? But yeah, to the chagrin of your fellow poster Crease, Suffern usually has a good record every year, and the last several years they have reached the final four in Utica but unable to win the championship.

Old
03-12-2012, 02:15 AM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Aren't you CHL bound, Steve?
Is that Santini from Applecore?

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Fanned On It

LOL it's Stevey's cousin... But idk what his next move is. Right now he's on the U17 Developmental team over in Ann-Arbor and I think for college it'll probably be B.C.

Old
03-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Fanned On It

Nah this is Dave Santini, his cousin. We own the BIA (I guess you guys know that lol) and I work there with my dad so that's what I meant when I heard all the kids talking about Suffern every year.

Old
03-12-2012, 02:23 AM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Good stuff. I still regret stopping hockey for baseball, seems like all my dad's hockey buddies' kids are going pro or D1 these days.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:23 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
Is that Santini from Applecore?
That's what I was guessing
Quote:
LOL it's Stevey's cousin... But idk what his next move is. Right now he's on the U17 Developmental team over in Ann-Arbor and I think for college it'll probably be B.C.
Good for Steve.... always root for anyone that comes out of Section 1 to make a good D1 College program.

I'm thinking right now, top of the head, who's currently out there, and I can only think of these three:

- Matt Willows, who played at Clarkstown in Section 1, is playing at UNH right now
- The Daniels twins, drafted in the third and seventh round by San Jose, finished up at Northeastern this year and played for Suffern before going to Kent for prep

There are a lot of talented players that come out of NJ, too, obviously (JVR with Delbarton and now the Flyers, Kyle Palmieri now with Anaheim...)

Any other NY Section 1 athletes playing D1 college hockey that I'm missing? Matt Dyer plays for St. Lawrence and grew up in Suffern, but never went to HS there, stopping briefly at Bosco I think before NE Prep a la Daniels twins...

Old
03-12-2012, 02:24 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Nah this is Dave Santini, his cousin. We own the BIA (I guess you guys know that lol) and I work there with my dad so that's what I meant when I heard all the kids talking about Suffern every year.
I didn't know the Santini family owned BIA. Awesome! I guess I'm a bit out of touch in that regard! One of the better facilities in the Section without a doubt. World's most soothing heat comes from the heater right above the entrance to the rinks

Old
03-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
That's what I was guessing

Good for Steve.... always root for anyone that comes out of Section 1 to make a good D1 College program.

I'm thinking right now, top of the head, who's currently out there, and I can only think of these three:

- Matt Willows, who played at Clarkstown in Section 1, is playing at UNH right now
- The Daniels twins, drafted in the third and seventh round by San Jose, finished up at Northeastern this year and played for Suffern before going to Kent for prep

There are a lot of talented players that come out of NJ, too, obviously (JVR with Delbarton and now the Flyers, Kyle Palmieri now with Anaheim...)

Any other NY Section 1 athletes playing D1 college hockey that I'm missing? Matt Dyer plays for St. Lawrence and grew up in Suffern, but never went to HS there, stopping briefly at Bosco I think before NE Prep a la Daniels twins...
I don't know what high school he played for but you're forgetting Kevin Shattenkirk out of New Rochelle, who's doing pretty well for himself as far as I know on the Blues. Don't really know his stats but I always see him on NHL Tonight during the highligh-reels and whatnot. His older brother actually played with my brother on the Brewster Bulldogs and I used to play with Kevin during the games haha. I think we're both the same age (23).

The Daniels twins also came out of our rink, we have their names hanging up in our lobby with Shattenkirk's.

And yeah, that heat blast is great if you're freezing coming out of the rink

Old
03-12-2012, 02:41 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
I don't know what high school he played for but you're forgetting Kevin Shattenkirk out of New Rochelle, who's doing pretty well for himself as far as I know on the Blues. Don't really know his stats but I always see him on NHL Tonight during the highligh-reels and whatnot. His older brother actually played with my brother on the Brewster Bulldogs and I used to play with Kevin during the games haha. I think we're both the same age (23).

The Daniels twins also came out of our rink, we have their names hanging up in our lobby with Shattenkirk's.

And yeah, that heat blast is great if you're freezing coming out of the rink
Yes, Shattenkirk is another one. Played at Boston after NTDP, and is a solid pro now. There are others, too, I know we're missing guys here

Gilroy from Nassau and also played at BU...but that's not Section 1

EDIT: Shattenkirk didn't play for a local HS as far as I know, unless he played on New Rochelle as an 8th grader or Freshman. He went to the Brunswick school before NTDP...

Last edited by jBuds: 03-12-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old
03-12-2012, 06:31 AM
Crease

Quote:
Aren't you CHL bound, Steve? But yeah, to the chagrin of your fellow poster Crease, Suffern usually has a good record every year, and the last several years they have reached the final four in Utica but unable to win the championship.
Suffern HS hockey has benefited from a youth hockey feeder program based out of the same town. Gets kids into the game at an early age. That really seems to be paramount for all successful teams in the area.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:36 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Heard this from Facebook. I used to hang out with their goalie a lot before he changed schools.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:57 AM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Brad Peltz (son of billionaire Nelson Peltz) was drafted by Ottawa.

Paul Ferraro also played for Sacred Heart I believe, and last thing I heard is playing for a minor league team in Dayton.

I remember playing HS games at Brewster, it was our home rink. I will never forget the two guys who would come and watch every game, always wearing the same Nascar Outfit.

Do they still come to games?

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:46 PM
MDL8981

Congrats to Suffern....Section 1 is traditionally a soccer and baseball power (I went to Ketcham and played both sports in Sec 1 competition). Nice to see a S1 school win a hockey title.

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Crease

Quote:
We had your number back in HS. But you repaid the favor in college.

Say hi to the family for me.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:20 PM
ReverbAndDelay
Old Time Hockey

I grew up playing in summer developmental leagues near suffern and let me tell you, even 20 years ago, kids from suffern could play.

ReverbAndDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowdive View Post
I grew up playing in summer developmental leagues near suffern and let me tell you, even 20 years ago, kids from suffern could play.
Yeah, like Crease said above, Suffern has a very good program starting at the earliest of ages. Many coaches and former players from Suffern, along with plenty of others, help teach these kids how to skate and the fundamentals of hockey at such an early age.

The ones that stick with it, grow up playing with their age group year after year until they have amazing chemistry come time to play in HS.

I was at the game yesterday, and it was a great game. Pittsford was a very good, fast team and was able to jump on Suffern early. But once Suffern netted their first goal in the last minute of the first, the whole momentum of the game changed. The fan base for Suffern clearly helped as well. Even tho Pittsford was closer to Utica then Suffern, not much closer tho, the Suffern fans easily outnumbered them 3-1. It just shows how much of a hockey town Suffern is, with that many people making the 3 hour trip up north to root on their town.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Muh
Beadle

And don't know if I am allowed to post HS kids names. But Suffern's goalie won the states best goalie award, as one of their forwards was named co-mvp of the state with a kid from West Genny.

2 other Suffern players were named to the all-state team as well.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Congrats to Suffern.

I remember playing against Suffern at Sport-O-Rama in the 90's.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
I find it funny how the hockey community is such a small word. I've heard people at my school talking about Steve, and my friend said he skated free at BIA a few times because their dads are friends.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post

Paul Ferraro also played for Sacred Heart I believe, and last thing I heard is playing for a minor league team in Dayton.

I remember playing HS games at Brewster, it was our home rink. I will never forget the two guys who would come and watch every game, always wearing the same Nascar Outfit.

HAHA yeah their names are "Nut and Bolt". They were twins, a little slow mentally but awesome, awesome dudes. Actually I'm pretty sure Bolt passed away a few years ago but "Nut" is still going strong and still goes to all of the high school games. Insane. It's awesome.

Old
03-13-2012, 05:21 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post

North Rockland's J Kramer?

Old
03-13-2012, 05:23 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
We had your number back in HS. But you repaid the favor in college.

Say hi to the family for me.
We had you freshmen and sophomore year. You had me junior and senior year, but we both lost in semis senior year right? We lost to mamk and you to Scarsdale ?

And yes, returned the favor on the ice In college - but you graduated with an ivy league degree. I got mine from NY's Cornell feeder LOL. And your D sucked hard in both games senior year of college. You had 25+ saves in both those games IIRC

Hi to your mom and dad and family as well. Come by the rink sometime and hop on the ice with my boys.