HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the coyotes trade for a center in the offseason?

Old
03-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Sciamachy
Formerly Sceva Sct

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I'd try and sign Penner and Gaustad or Stoll, re-sign Whitney to give us lines like:

Penner is the last person we should think about bringing on. His laziness would never fly here.

Sciamachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:16 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceva Sct View Post
Penner is the last person we should think about bringing on. His laziness would never fly here.
Exactly. And with his recent lack of performance, he will be cheap. A great Maloney reclamation project if I ever saw one.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:36 PM
hbk

I think we should watch what happens with Philli. I think Briere could be on the move. Of course he's paid on the basis of his lone 90 point season and not the 50-60 point player he truly is. Salary is a huge concern; however, until Doan and Whitney are re-signed we are severely under the cap minimum.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:43 PM
ducky

The Coyotes should trade for a top line forward, preferably a centre, but probably wont.

The only way we can land a top forward is at the cost of one of our "fab four" defense (Yandle, OEL, Rundblad, Gormley). Is it worth the risk?

IDK?

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:13 PM
PhoPhan

Depending on how these rule changes go, I'd be open to trading Rundblad first. If they make it impossible for him to make that stretch pass from deep in his zone, he's a less useful player.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

I'm up to bringing Lombardi back. He showed chemistry with multiple players and he could be Vrby 2.0, coming back and getting his mojo back. We also need to trade DeMo and get a backup goalie to replace Labarbera.

Doan/Lombardi/Korpi
Whitney/Hanzal/Vrbata
Boedker/Vermette/Brule
Torres/Gordon/Chipchura
Biz

Lombardi would cost us a 3rd rounder or less and he'll put up more pts than Vermette. I expected more from Vermette, hoping to find that 60pt player, but now I'd settle for a 40pt player.

We need to sign Aucoin for 1 more year to be paired with Yandle. At that time Gormley will be ready to take his place.

2012-2013
Yandle/Aucoin
OEL/Rundblad-Schlemko
Klesla/Stone
Summers

2013-2014
Yandle/Gormley
OEL/Rundblad
Klesla/Stone
Summers/Schlemko

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:26 PM
_Del_

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Exactly. And with his recent lack of performance, he will be cheap. A great Maloney reclamation project if I ever saw one.
Honestly, between this and his past experience playing very well on a line with Brule, I was surprised this didn't happen at the deadline. I don't know that I'm advocating it, but it wouldn't surprise me if I saw it happen and it might work.

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Penner=Pyatt.

You'd be getting pretty much Pyatt production, for a higher salary that what Pyatt is paid.

In fact... that may be generous.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:36 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Penner=Pyatt.

You'd be getting pretty much Pyatt production, for a higher salary that what Pyatt is paid.

In fact... that may be generous.
Have to disagree. Penner has certainly been a flop with the Kings, but he's still a guy who is only 29 and, until this year, never had a season when he scored less than 37 points, while Pyatt has never scored more than 37 over his career.

If the contract is right he's worth a shot. But I suspect another team is going to do something stupid (not us) and give him a short-term deal (1-2 years) at ~$3M. If Penner can be signed for 1 year at ~$2M or less, I can't see why Maloney and Tippett wouldn't give it a lot of consideration.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Louiss

It might be a bit fast to pencil Stone as a full time NHL'er next season.

He has played well so far but I'm not sure he is ready to play top6 for a full NHL season.

Louiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I'm with hbk and Pho on this. I dont like what it would cost. Vermette is as good as we can hope for - or a Lombardi type can be added. That's the type of player Maloney is great at finding at a low price.

The Ballard-Jokinen trade was great on paper, terrible in reality. That's ultimately the reason for me why we shouldnt trade Yandle who bleeds Coyotes. As RT says, the evolution of our defense is looking solid as it is.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
prob22

Bruins offer Krejci for OEL. You take that trade?

Last edited by PhoPhan: 03-16-2012 at 10:26 AM.
prob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob22 View Post
Bruins trade Krejci for OEL. You take that trade?
I wouldnt trade Oel or Gormley.

I would only trade yandle in a package to get someone like tavares or eric staal which is highly unlikely.

I like the lombardi idea or if we really need to reach the salary floor maybe offer one of summers, stone or goncharov in part of a package for stastny

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
I wouldnt trade Oel or Gormley.

I would only trade yandle in a package to get someone like tavares or eric staal which is highly unlikely.

I like the lombardi idea or if we really need to reach the salary floor maybe offer one of summers, stone or goncharov in part of a package for stastny
Yandle is going to be the face and heart of the Coyotes after Doan retires. He's great in the clubhouse and good with the media. I don't expect him to go anywhere despite having an off season.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:40 AM
prob22

OEL looks pretty great. Don't you think when all is said and done hes better than Yandle?

prob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Yandle is going to be the face and heart of the Coyotes after Doan retires. He's great in the clubhouse and good with the media. I don't expect him to go anywhere despite having an off season.
I dont expect him to be traded either, just like I wouldnt expect the islanders or hurricanes to trade tavares or staal. If an agreement could be reached though I would not pass on the chance.

oel will be a first pairing defensemen and it doesnt seem like a stretch that gormley could eventually end up on the top pairing too. There is a good chance one of summers, stone or murphy could end up good enough for second pairing and the others could be solid third pairing defensemen or schlemko. that just leaves us holding on to someonelike klesla and we are set for a long time.

imagine a trade like yandle, boedker, a 1st and a 3rd for eric staal.

next year

Korpi-staal-doan
whitney-hanzal-vrbata
lw-vermette-brule
torres-gordon-chip

oel-klesla
schlemko-morris
summers-gormley
stone and if you want resign aucoin

and then the next year

Oel-klesla
summers-gormley
Schlemko-stone
morris and murphy as a call up

All while having staal, hanzal and vermette as your top three centers. that would be crazy. The only hole to fill is on that third line. maybe someone surprises in camp or you sign a decent ufa but for someone like staal its well worth it

Old
03-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob22 View Post
OEL looks pretty great. Don't you think when all is said and done hes better than Yandle?
Yes, I definitely do.

Yandle has been great and hes looked even better because besides hanzal hes one of the only prospects that has panned out and chosen to stick with the team. People want that kind of guy on their team and are reluctant to let him go which I understand

Old
03-16-2012, 11:12 AM
PhoPhan

Yandle had a great year last year. He regressed a bit this year, but he's still tied for 8th in scoring among defenseman. No one other than Erik Karlsson has more than 6 more points than he does. Not bad for an off year.

The larger point, though, is that OEL is also having a good year, and I think it's shortsighted to just assume Yandle was overachieving last year and also assume OEL will continue on an upward trajectory.

OEL is on pace for all of 33 points this year. Nothing to scoff at for a 20-year old, for sure, but let's keep things in perspective before we anoint him the #1 defenseman for the next decade. For the record, I do think OEL has outplayed Yandle on balance this year. But I don't think that's a large enough sample size to value him so much more highly. Especially when Yandle has demonstrated a great deal of leadership and loyalty to this franchise.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:37 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Most times when it is said of a player that he's inconsistent, its his offensive production that's the question.

Yandle's offensive ability is always solid. It's his play in the other two zones that is very inconsistent. Sometimes he's rock solid in his own zone. Sometimes a train wreck. Seems to happen in streaks of games, too.

03-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Most times when it is said of a player that he's inconsistent, its his offensive production that's the question.

Yandle's offensive ability is always solid. It's his play in the other two zones that is very inconsistent. Sometimes he's rock solid in his own zone. Sometimes a train wreck. Seems to happen in streaks of games, too.

This. I doubt anyone has a problem with his offense. Its his defensive lapses that are giving people flashbacks of jovo.

He is a great player and I believe he will continue to be great. Thats the reason Id even suggest him in a deal for an elite center.

we can only realistically play six defensemen. we could dress a seventh i guess but we have....

1. Yandle
2. Oel
3. Gormley
4. Summers
5. Stone
6. Rundblad
7. Murphy
8. Schlemko
9. Goncharov
10. Ross (jk)

We also have klesla and morris for a few more years while the younger guys mature

even without yandle thats klesla, morris and 7 legit young defensemen and goncharov if he can ever put it together

Old
03-16-2012, 01:56 PM
DesertDawg

IMO
The only player that the Coyotes might be able to acquire in a trade without overpaying is Tim Connolly. Stoll might be a UFA consideration. Brule and Chipchura should only do spot duty @ center when needed.

DesertDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
This. I doubt anyone has a problem with his offense. Its his defensive lapses that are giving people flashbacks of jovo.

He is a great player and I believe he will continue to be great. Thats the reason Id even suggest him in a deal for an elite center.

we can only realistically play six defensemen. we could dress a seventh i guess but we have....

1. Yandle
2. Oel
3. Gormley
4. Summers
5. Stone
6. Rundblad
7. Murphy
8. Schlemko
9. Goncharov
10. Ross (jk)

We also have klesla and morris for a few more years while the younger guys mature

even without yandle thats klesla, morris and 7 legit young defensemen and goncharov if he can ever put it together
Remember when we all thought Nick Ross and Max Goncharov would be NHL players one day? How about Dan Focht, Matt Spiller, Matt Jones, Igor Knyazev, Logan Stephenson, and Johnas Ahnelov?

Several of those D prospects on your top eight list will bust. It's the nature of prospects.

Stop counting unhatched chickens.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Remember when we all thought Nick Ross and Max Goncharov would be NHL players one day? How about Dan Focht, Matt Spiller, Matt Jones, Igor Knyazev, Logan Stephenson, and Johnas Ahnelov?

Several of those D prospects on your top eight list will bust. It's the nature of prospects.

Stop counting unhatched chickens.
ok you are right. not only do we have zero forward prospects but we will be lucky to see any of those defensemen contribute on the team.

Old
03-16-2012, 03:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
ok you are right. not only do we have zero forward prospects but we will be lucky to see any of those defensemen contribute on the team.
A few will. A few won't. Thats why depth is important.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
A few will. A few won't. Thats why depth is important.
And how many centers will make the team? Miele? Id give gormley, summers and stone all much better chances. what was the last team to win the stanley cup without a true #1 center?

Even without yandle we have four defensemen next year we know are able: oel, klesla, morris and schlemko. at least one of gormley, summers, stone and rundblad can fill a spot if not two. at worst you sign a veteran ufa.