HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Players Prepared to Fold Hand (rumor)

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Reilly311

vCash: 500
Players Prepared to Fold Hand (rumor)

Tuesday, November 09, 2004
Players Prepared to Fold Hand
There will be hockey this year.

The players are now officially prepared to accept a salary cap...they realize that the owners are going to cancel the season and start over next year. A private survey on their own password protected website revealed that 82% would be willing to accept a salary cap, and that 74% would scab it next year. They have lost this battle, and are getting angrier as they miss paychecks.

The NHL office is well aware of this whole scenario as I was told this by one of the few people that still works up there. I was also told this by a reputable sportswriter, who heard it from a player. This is how it will likely go down. At the end of the month, following their next meeting, the players will make a last proposal...Without a salary cap. The two sides will sit down and negotiate. A hard salary cap will be traded for slightly younger FA. The players will say they bent for the "good of the game."

And the season will begin mid January. The players over in Europe have already been informed of this.

"There is ZERO chance that the season will be cancelled," one player rep told to me.

posted by Eklund at 9:14 AM

http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/200....html#comments

not sure how reliable it is. Perhaps someone can comment?

Old
11-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Digger12

If it looks too good to be true, chances are it is.

I can't see the players giving in to a hard cap that easily, not yet at any rate.

I guess we'll find out in the next month or so how prophetic/BS-filled this blogger is. Right now I'm leaning on the BS side of things.

Last edited by Digger12: 11-09-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old
11-09-2004, 08:13 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

You slay me

Old
11-09-2004, 08:17 PM
vanlady

There has been a rumor on Canucks.com awhile ago that said basically the same thing. Only difference is Goodenow is going to propose a stiff luxury tax in return for obliterating UFA, this is supposed to happen Nov 15. Not the first time I have heard this.

Old
11-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlady
There has been a rumor on Canucks.com awhile ago that said basically the same thing. Only difference is Goodenow is going to propose a stiff luxury tax in return for obliterating UFA, this is supposed to happen Nov 15. Not the first time I have heard this.
6 days to go...whee!

'Obliterating' UFA? How do you mean?

Old
11-09-2004, 08:27 PM
vanlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
6 days to go...whee!

'Obliterating' UFA? How do you mean?
Players will become a UFA at the end of their rookie contract.

Old
11-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Players will become a UFA at the end of their rookie contract.
OK, thanks for the clarification.

In that case, that luxury tax had better be dollar for dollar stiff over 35 million if the NHLPA wants UFA dealt like that...which they would refuse because it would "amount to" a hard salary cap.

I still think we're in this for the long haul...wish I could be proven wrong here.

Old
11-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

This is bunk.

It's a blog site with one sole entry. I give it zero credibility.

Old
11-09-2004, 08:35 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

I'm very skeptical but a decent salary cap would be great!

Old
11-09-2004, 08:39 PM
incawg

This story has negative credibility. And seeing the same thing on the Canucks.com forums makes it less likely to be true.

Old
11-09-2004, 08:48 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly311
The players over in Europe have already been informed of this.

If they have indeed been informed, then why are they still leaving to go play in Europe. Plz don't argue that ONLY the players in Europe have been informed... makes no sense.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3149192

May as well close the thread.

Old
11-09-2004, 08:52 PM
degroat*

Please don't close the thread. It doesn't hurt anyone to discuss this.

Old
11-09-2004, 08:55 PM
vanlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
This story has negative credibility. And seeing the same thing on the Canucks.com forums makes it less likely to be true.
I know, that is why I give it 0 credebility. It's like something reported by Team 1040, beleive only 1/32 of what you hear.

Old
11-09-2004, 09:04 PM
struckmatch

I highly doubt this, of course I'd love to eat my words

Old
11-09-2004, 09:27 PM
PecaFan

Well, this has as much credibility as most of the pro-NHLPA stuff posted here. :lol

I don't see it happening it all. The players are strong, and are going to blow the whole year away before they realise the owner's are telling the truth.

Old
11-09-2004, 09:53 PM
vanlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Well, this has as much credibility as most of the pro-NHLPA stuff posted here. :lol

I don't see it happening it all. The players are strong, and are going to blow the whole year away before they realise the owner's are telling the truth.
Oh like they have in the past. You are way to funny, here let me post something for you

Since I brought up the concept of scruples, it might be worth reminding people that the worst thing any player has done is get into a car accident, get into a tussle off the ice, get too involved with drugs or alcohol, or hold out for a new contract before his current contract is up. NHL ownership on the other hand includes Jim Norris, who went to jail for antitrust violations, and the Wirtz family, which acted as his Chicago beard for so many years; Bruce McNall, a Kings' owner who went to jail for fraud, and Philip Anschutz, another Kings' owner who has so far escaped the criminal charges that four of his executives have been unable to avoid for the well-publicized accounting fraud at his company Qwest, but has not been able to escape civil charges; the Rigas family, who will go to jail for fraud when all is said and done for looting their company, Adelphia Communications, Harold Ballard, who among many notorious attributes that included racism and sexism, went to jail on 48 counts of fraud, one of them misappropriating funds from his Toronto franchise to renovate his home, and John Spano, who went to jail for defrauding the NHL itself; Alan Cohen, who made his fortune infringing patents but survived patent infringement suits brought upon him by rival drug companies like Eugene Melnyk's Biovail, which itself is being sued for accounting irregularities; Peter Pocklington, who criminally sold off one of the best teams ever assembled for the benefit of his personal finances; George Gillett, who went bankrupt after making a billion in junk bonds; Cablevision and Time Warner, a pair of cable operators who have both been involved in multiple, high-profile legal battles, often with each other, in which they held customers' programming hostage, sometimes even for years, and who are both currently troubled by allegations of accounting irregularities; and Ted Leonsis, who got into a tussle off the ice. And I won't even get into the ethics of people who made hundreds of millions or billions in leveraged buy-outs, venture capital, liquor distributorship, parking garages, airport restaurants, commercial real estate, billboard advertising, and other such savory industries."

Old
11-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Billboard company owners? Oh, the humanity! :lol

Old
11-09-2004, 10:06 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
Oh like they have in the past. You are way to funny, here let me post something for you

Since I brought up the concept of scruples, "
That sounds like that ordinary least squares site. He did a great exposť on just who are these owners

Jacobs apparently made his money gouging audiences at captive events. We can thank him for the concept of the $11 beer.

Old
11-09-2004, 10:38 PM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
My dead Dog came to me in a dream and told me the same thing. That means it is definitely going to happen!!

Old
11-09-2004, 10:42 PM
bling

Send a message via MSN to bling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
Billboard company owners? Oh, the humanity! :lol
And....of all the filthy despicable professions....Parking Garage Ownership!

Old
11-09-2004, 10:55 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Since I brought up the concept of scruples, it might be worth reminding people that the worst thing any player has done is get into a car accident, get into a tussle off the ice, get too involved with drugs or alcohol, or hold out for a new contract before his current contract is up.
Generalise much?

First of all, note how the vast majority of those charges against the owners are unrelated to hockey.

Oh, and by the way, how quickly you forget "manslaughter" and "hiring a hit man to kill your agent".

Old
11-09-2004, 11:04 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

With the players, its an exception, with the owners, its the rule.

Old
11-09-2004, 11:07 PM
vanlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Generalise much?

First of all, note how the vast majority of those charges against the owners are unrelated to hockey.

Oh, and by the way, how quickly you forget "manslaughter" and "hiring a hit man to kill your agent".
Unrelated to hockey??? Bruce McNall got caught for bank fraud in direct relation to his team in the last lockout

Spano was convicted for his last attempt to regain ownership of the Islanders, and let us not forget Rigas who illegally "borrowed" to by the Buffalo franchise. Oh no nothing to do with hockey.

Old
11-09-2004, 11:08 PM
fcbarcelona

B.s.

Old
11-09-2004, 11:17 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Unrelated to hockey??? Bruce McNall got caught for bank fraud in direct relation to his team in the last lockout

Spano was convicted for his last attempt to regain ownership of the Islanders, and let us not forget Rigas who illegally "borrowed" to by the Buffalo franchise. Oh no nothing to do with hockey.
See that word "majority"? It's important in my sentence, that's why I included it.

Maybe you should try reading my post again, this time stopping to actually comprehend the meaning of *all* the words.

Closed Thread