HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2012 - Draft Thread VIII

Old
03-14-2012, 05:00 AM
arrbez
bad chi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
I was seriously considering Demitra. In fact, he's a better spare than Nilsson, IMO, but I would've just felt wrong or disrespectful picking him. I don't know why, I should probably rather look at it as honoring him. Guess I'm just weird like that, and having intense flight phobia doesn't help.
Yeah, it's still strange to think he's not around anymore. I actually had Demitra and Nilsson listed 1 and 2 on the list I left with some guys last night, so we were both on the same track!

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Rob Scuderi

The Keystones will select Billy Reay, coach

and Ken Randall, D/RW

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:13 AM
JFA87-66-99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
The Keystones will select Billy Reay, coach

and Ken Randall, D/RW
Awesome 2 picks. For some reason I thought Ken Randall was picked already.

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:19 AM
seventieslord

My god, Ken Randall is ugly. (Markov too, for that matter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I believe MA's clock has expired, I'll take C Neal Broten.
Great spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I think someone should probably step in to at least take a 6th defenseman for him. That way at least his starting lineup is filled out.
I agree. I would rather just catch his lineup up for him though. Just say the word guys, and I'll do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
With pick 703 Inglewood selects a high quality offensive forward whose elite versatility makes him an excellent "just in case" spare for a scoring role. Points finishes: 6, 7, 10, 14. Without looking, he's probably one of the few modern players to receive notable allstar votes at all 3 forward positions in his career, peaking as high as 3rd at LW, 4th at RW, and 6th at C. He also had a quality Selke finish in 2000, where 8 writers had him in the top-3 (2-2-4-1-0). Solid playoff performer, and a fantastic international player as well.

A classy guy who will be missed. The late:

Pavol Demitra

even better spare.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:45 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
IIRC, Rafalski was the #1 in his two post-lockout NJ years, and he and the team did very well.

Though Boyle obviously has much longer record as #1.
Rafalski was a terrible #1 in NJ. In the playoffs, they ended up having to hide him from the top competition - Lecavalier and then Heatley just manhandled him in front of the net. It's probably why Lou lowballed him when his contract was up for renewal

The Devils were never able to replace him on the PP though - the PP has sucked ever since he left and led to one bad signing after another

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Rafalski was a terrible #1 in NJ. In the playoffs, they ended up having to hide him from the top competition - Lecavalier and then Heatley just manhandled him in front of the net. It's probably why Lou lowballed him when his contract was up for renewal

The Devils were never able to replace him on the PP though - the PP has sucked ever since he left and led to one bad signing after another
Boyle/Rafalski is a perfect example of why we must be careful in how we think about modern defensemen. Boyle and Rafalski look similar at times on the ice, but that can be misleading. Boyle is and has been a considerably better player at even-strength; he's been a successful #1 on good teams for more than eight consecutive seasons now, and is a playoff stud. Big difference there, and he did it without ever having a strong partner (like a Bill White or a Derian Hatcher) who could make him look good defensively. Boyle's most common regular partners have been Matvichuk in Tampa and Douglas Murray in San Jose, neither of whom is in any danger of being drafted in the ATD.

The Devils got obviously worse when Rafalski took over as the #1 while the Sharks got obviously better when Boyle came to town. We all know what offensive defensemen who are ****** in their own zone and can't really handle being a #1 look like. Boyle replaced one of those guys (who might yet get drafted) in San Jose, and the difference at even strength was night and day. It is in my opinion a good argument in favor of modern AST voting that there is such a clear gap between Boyle and Rafalski.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:39 AM
seventieslord

Sturm, I don't think you meant to say Matvichuk.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:53 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I PMed papershoes to let him know he has 3, soon to be 4, picks to make.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
I PMed papershoes to let him know he has 3, soon to be 4, picks to make.
papershoes is a long time vet (going back to at least #9). Is he okay?

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Sturm, I don't think you meant to say Matvichuk.
I meant Lukowich (get those old depth Stars defensemen mixed up), though even Lukowich was only Boyle's partner for his last season in Tampa. I'm not quite sure who Boyle's regular partner in Tampa was before that. I think it was Sarich, but I couldn't say for sure. At any rate, he's never really had a strong partner. Occasionally he's seen time with Vlasic (who is a very underrated two-way player) in San Jose, and they have been a very good pairing, but mostly he's skated with guys who really don't belong on an NHL 1st pairing.

Old
03-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

With pick #706, arrbez selects defenseman Robyn Regehr.

Old
03-14-2012, 02:34 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
With pick #706, arrbez selects defenseman Robyn Regehr.
Thanks for making my pick for me, I know I just kinda dump lists on you guys sometimes.

Vecens and I had him as a #6 in the 40 team draft, and I think he makes a very solid #7 in a 32 teamer.

He gives me a big physical presence with legit one-on-one shutdown ability, and he was good enough at that role to be selected to two best-on-best Team Canada squads. Strong like bull, just nasty to work against, and his skating and passing are surprisingly good for a guy of his skillset. And considering his role, he did a very good job of staying out of the penalty box throughout his career.

No comment on his work in Buffalo this year .

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Nalyd Psycho

I think that applies to everyone in Buffalo this year.

03-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I think that applies to everyone in Buffalo this year.
One guy I've been consistently impressed with all-season long, but yeah that's about it. I know Luke Adam pretty well and he's had a pretty disappointing year, he's back in Rochester now.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Nalyd Psycho

I was thinking a while before the trade how Luke Adam would likely be a great linemate for Hodgson. Was more hoping they'd get that chance in Vancouver...

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:00 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Thanks for making my pick for me, I know I just kinda dump lists on you guys sometimes.

Vecens and I had him as a #6 in the 40 team draft, and I think he makes a very solid #7 in a 32 teamer.

He gives me a big physical presence with legit one-on-one shutdown ability, and he was good enough at that role to be selected to two best-on-best Team Canada squads. Strong like bull, just nasty to work against, and his skating and passing are surprisingly good for a guy of his skillset. And considering his role, he did a very good job of staying out of the penalty box throughout his career.

No comment on his work in Buffalo this year .
Did anyone else read the bolded part to themselves in a "Natasha from Rocky & Bullwinkle" voice?

Old
03-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
I was thinking a while before the trade how Luke Adam would likely be a great linemate for Hodgson. Was more hoping they'd get that chance in Vancouver...
Luke is a great hockey player, he was solid in the first quarter of the season. I think long-term Kassian is the better power forward, Luke is a two-way version of Michael Ryder in my opinion.

Old
03-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Did anyone else read the bolded part to themselves in a "Natasha from Rocky & Bullwinkle" voice?
Every time I see that phrase it reads in my head with an Eastern European accent, no matter the context.

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Luke is a great hockey player, he was solid in the first quarter of the season. I think long-term Kassian is the better power forward, Luke is a two-way version of Michael Ryder in my opinion.
Oh of course, I just think Adams' skill will pair nicely with Hodgson's. Adams-Hodgson-Kassian would be pwnage...

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Oh of course, I just think Adams' skill will pair nicely with Hodgson's. Adams-Hodgson-Kassian would be pwnage...
Oh man, would he ever. Hodgson would set him up for days, one can dream that the Sabres will trade Adam and Hodgson for Luongo when he's 42 Every single day I like the Kassian trade more, I'm still healing from losing my favorite player, but Kassian is going to be one hell of a hockey player.

Old
03-14-2012, 05:15 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
With my skipped pick (school has been crazy lately) I will select:

RW - Duane Sutter

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:20 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
MadArcand OTC (2 hours, 55 min remaining)
Going OTC without a PM and while having a few too many beers is sure fun!

The Whalers select Ryan Walter, C/LW

MadArcand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
D Doug Barkley

4x Top 10 Norris Voting(5, 7, 9, 10*)
4x Top 13 All Star Voting(7, 12, 13, 13)
9th Hart Voting
3x Top 5 Goals Among Defensemen(1, 5, 5)
3x Top 7 Assists Among Defensemen(2, 5, 7)
4x Top 9 Points Among Defensemen(3, 4, 8, 9)
Of 4 full NHL seasons, the Red Wings reached the SC Finals in 3 of them

During 4 year peak(only 4 full years in NHL):

3rd in goals
3rd in assists
4th in points(90% of 2nd place Howell)

Quote:
Lethbridge, Alberta's Doug Barkley was a big and physical defenseman who started his NHL career at a late age and had it end far too early.

He could have become one of the most dominant defensemen of his time if it was not for a career ending eye injury.

In fact, he was so good that legendary hockey scribe Stan Fischler once compared Barkley to a latter day Larry Robinson.

"Tall, tough and tenacious, Barkley was a Larry Robinson before the latter arrived on the scene to redefine defensemen's play for the Montreal Canadiens," Fischler wrote.

After his All Star season in the WHL, Barkley was a hot commodity again in the NHL marketplace. The Hawks ended up trading the 26 year old to the Detroit Red Wings for 2 players - Len Lunde and John McKenzie - on June 5 1962.

Finally getting a chance to play in the NHL, Barkley responded positively by scoring 3 goals and 24 assists in 70 games in the '62-63 season. His performance finished second only to Toronto defenseman Kent Douglas in Calder Trophy balloting. Both Barkley and Douglas spent a long time in the minors before playing regularly in the NHL.

Barkley followed his rookie season with a promising second NHL campaign. Known for his size (6'2" 185lbs) and aggressiveness (he had 382 PIM in only 253 games), Doug added a bit of an offensive element to his game that he had previously shown in the WHL. Doug scored 11 times and assisted on 21 others.
http://redwingslegends.blogspot.com/...g-barkley.html

Quote:
Some critics might suggest it is illogical to place a player among the elite in franchise history if he only played 4 seasons for the Detroit Red Wings, but Doug Barkley deserves to be an exception.

Tall, tough and tenacious, Barkley was a Larry Robinson before the latter arrived on the scene to refine defensemen's play for the Montreal Canadiens a decade after Doug was forced to retire because of an eye injury.

A gifted defenseman during the NHL's six team era...

Handling offense as well as defense with consummate ease, Barkley was quickly touted as the find of the year
. During an era when defensemen played defense, Barkley led all backliners in scoring...As Doug's play improved, so did the Red Wings'. In 1964-65, Detroit finished on top of the NHL for the first time in 8 years and loomed as a playoff contender as long as Barkley patrolled the defense.

Until he suffered a career-ending eye injury, Doug Barkley was a towering force on the Detroit defense.

From his very first game as a big leaguer, Barkley proved that the Red Wings were wise in signing him. "My football training was a big help to me," he explained. "I had good timing and I could hit. I had a knack of bolstering our forwards. The other teams knew that I could hit, and if anyone on our club got into trouble, the opposition knew that I would back up our guys.

But, he is fondly remembered for his stint as one of the best defensemen ever to wear the Red Wings' uniform.
http://books.google.com/books?id=68q...arkley&f=false

Quote:
Barkley, a star defenseman for the Red Wings before losing an eye in a 1966 accident...
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+barkley&hl=en

Quote:
Team physician Dr. John Finley said Monday it will take another 5 or 6 days to determine the full extent of the eye injury to All-Star Detroit Red Wings defenseman Doug Barkley.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+barkley&hl=en

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 03-21-2012 at 07:29 PM.
BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:06 PM
vecens24

I'm taking a big hulking strong defensive defenseman who has a pretty decent 5th and 12th in Norris voting, and I think has another year of token consideration. He'll work as a spare in case Van Impe gets hurt so he can play with Ruotsalainen.

Jack "Tex" Evans, D.

At work on phone, can someone PM both papershoes and Hedberg?

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:14 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I'm taking a big hulking strong defensive defenseman who has a pretty decent 5th and 12th in Norris voting, and I think has another year of token consideration. He'll work as a spare in case Van Impe gets hurt so he can play with Ruotsalainen.

Jack "Tex" Evans, D.

At work on phone, can someone PM both papershoes and Hedberg?
Good pick.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but does Abel have anything on him?

chaosrevolver wasn't kidding when he said he didn't read last year's draft. ... no worries, he's just a spare, I think.