HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Can Isles Fans Gain Control Of Team?

Old
03-13-2012, 10:08 PM
NYI365
Let's Go Islanders!

vCash: 500
Can Isles Fans Gain Control Of Team?

A radical idea, but what if? Hypothetically speaking, why can't us Isles fans somehow collectively gain full ownership/management of the team? If Wang sees that there is no possible light at the end of the tunnel by 2015, would a deal between him and the fans be able to work? The isles currently are worth around $150 million according to Forbes. Let's say all isles fans together, and possibly another small time millionaire or two who would be able to shell out a majority of the cost, come up with around $80-100 million to buy the team off of Wang. We could all agree to let Wang still have profit shares from parking,concessions etc for x amount of years as well to make up for lost profits. Once the fans buy the team, why can't there be an organization of a few elected isles fans to become the leading owners and have a group of people to assume the role of GM, as elected and monitored by the fans. Then, all decisions would be made on at least the majority of the fan bases decisions and not by imbeciles who didn't know about the sport of hockey when he first bought the team. A long idea here, but it is an interesting concept imo.

NYI365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

It definitely is getting time for a revolt. Time to protest outside in LARGE numbers or take out some ad space in the newspaper. Also get the media to call out Wang and the destruction of this team.

03-13-2012, 10:45 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

see Green Bay Packers.

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:46 PM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
It definitely is getting time for a revolt. Time to protest outside in LARGE numbers or take out some ad space in the newspaper. Also get the media to call out Wang and the destruction of this team.
I wanna do this. I'm so tired of Emperor Wang wrapping us around his finger. Time for a damn protest.

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:50 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

Quote:

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Gleb2006

Ad Space in a newspaper seems like the most logical way to start

Gleb2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:57 PM
periferal

Quote:

I could not agree more except I think Wang has made the core of the fanbase to apathetic that you wouldn't get more than 500 at any rally. You're need 10K to make a dent on any important radar screen.

I'd start with a website and continue to get followers and followers until you have a foundation. If you can get more supporters than they get at games, then you're on to something.

I don't know. Someone more motivated and visionary than me I hope ill come rescue us. I will follow...

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:58 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 129
Ohhh BOY! If we went on strike and didn't go to games and demanded a new arena and/or a new owner, BOY! would things get done...

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:08 PM
aIsle21

There are much more important matters to be protesting about that don't involve a bunch of strangers sliding rubber discs across ice, IMO.

aIsle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:26 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Ohhh BOY! If we went on strike and didn't go to games and demanded a new arena and/or a new owner, BOY! would things get done...
You have to start somewhere.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Sports and politics are separated by a microscopic hair. Except, sports has no term limits.

The Islander fans have been force-fed the Charles Wang heroics for 12 years, and it's all propaganda. It was a property grab, and a failed one, at that! So step number one is for fans to stop believing the bull crap. We owe Charles Wang nothing! All he did was shell out some cash for a team, get the media on his side to a degree, then sulk when he couldn't get his way. He could have gotten a suitable, state of the art, new building, but he was stuck on his vision. That's not being concerned about the team or its fan base, that's being concerned about Charles Wang. Are you really surprised? He went from building a privately funded mini-city, to wanting to build a publicly funded new arena? What kind of sense does that make to you? Charles Wang isn't a hero, he's a scam artist!

No one cares about the Islanders more than the fans do, and that's a fact. I care about the team so much that I've been kicked off of ************* permanently, and have gotten suspended from other boards because I'm a straight shooter. Yeah, I rip the likes of Rick DiPietro, Nino Niederreiter, Josh Bailey, Kyle Okposo, Michael Grabner, and others, because they deserve it due to their play! It's not personal. I don't actually dislike the people, but I expect something from NHL players, and they don't always offer it.

Let me offer you this: There was a man who I knew when I was a kid, and my parents told me that this guy would only marry a woman who he could control. So he sought out the quiet woman with a small opinion about anything so that he could fully control the relationship. He got her, married her, he eventually died, and when he died, she actually thrived! Why do you think Charles Wang is hiring the likes of Garth Snow and Jack Capuano, and firing the likes of Peter Laviolette, Neil Smith, Ted Nolan, and ousting some of the teams tougher players? Charles Wang doesn't like to be confronted! He is a weak man who would never admit to a mistake! Yeah, he regrets buying this team, but not because of the hockey, but because his land grab idea failed!

Do I blame Jack Capuano for this? No! He's inexperienced, it's not his fault. I would admire the hell out of him if he stepped down, but then what would he do for work? Do I blame Garth Snow? Kind of a tricky question, because I kind of do, but I also understand that he's an inexperienced GM. With that said, he should not have been interviewing for a GM's job 8 weeks after taking off the pads for the last time.

Why are teams advancing faster than us? How did the St. Louis Blues land Ken Hitchock and turn into a first place team? Simple, a respected hockey man in John Davidson runs the show! How did the Tampa Bay Lightning leap frog us in the last few weeks? How did they make trades that resulted in high draft picks? Again, it's simple, Steve Yzerman is a respected hockey man from a respected hockey program, has good relations with the most respected hockey programs in hockey, and he can swing deals. How do we wind up with crap all the time? Word has gotten out that Charles Wang is an autocratic d-bag, and I'm sure Neil Smith exacerbated that notion, in turn making free agents not want to sing here and other GMs not want to work with Snow on a trade. Think about our trades, other than Ryan Smyth, what player has Garth actually traded for? You have to see this franchise for the crap that it is!

When fans realize this, they can earn a modicum of control. It's time for all fans to stop apologizing for what they see on the ice. When I'm ripping players, a common rebuttal is, "He's only (age here)" or "His defensive play..." - I've been watching hockey for a long time, and I can pick up on the small things. In fact, and I say this in all modesty, I can pick up on more intricate things than most, but if I have to actually look for those intricate things, that's when the player isn't doing his job. What happens on the ice goes beyond what a THN article says, goes beyond what Garth Snow says, goes beyond what Jack Capuano or a player on the team says. Haven't you listened to interviews? They always say the same thing. There are token answers for every question. The days of Brett Hull, Chris Chelios, Jeremy Roenick cutting, controversial, honest answers are over. Everyone is so guarded with the media these days. So you can't take what people say seriously. You have to watch the game with your own eyes. You have to see these players without the things that are recognizable, like their numbers, height, and which way they shoot. You can't have the mindset, where if a player's on a breakaway, and he's going the wrong way, then you see it's John Tavares and it's okay. You have to see everything for what it is, not for what you want it to be. That's why we fail. We believe the crap, and we make exceptions for what players do wrong. Just don't pay for this crap anymore. Don't wear the paraphernalia, don't go to the games, and don't go out of your way to see a game on TV. Just stop believing everything that is being force-fed to you, and see what's happening with the most honest eyes that there are, your own. Once you can filter out all the static, you'll realize that you've been defending the most monumental turd for the last 15 years. This team has been horrible since 1995, and never truly improved. It's been smoke and mirrors, folks. And for the most part, you've bought it hook, line, and sinker by way of blind loyalty. I have a certain amount of admiration for that, but it's still foolish. Do yourselves a favor, and wake up!

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:29 AM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Sports and politics are separated by a microscopic hair. Except, sports has no term limits.

The Islander fans have been force-fed the Charles Wang heroics for 12 years, and it's all propaganda. It was a property grab, and a failed one, at that! So step number one is for fans to stop believing the bull crap. We owe Charles Wang nothing! All he did was shell out some cash for a team, get the media on his side to a degree, then sulk when he couldn't get his way. He could have gotten a suitable, state of the art, new building, but he was stuck on his vision. That's not being concerned about the team or its fan base, that's being concerned about Charles Wang. Are you really surprised? He went from building a privately funded mini-city, to wanting to build a publicly funded new arena? What kind of sense does that make to you? Charles Wang isn't a hero, he's a scam artist!

No one cares about the Islanders more than the fans do, and that's a fact. I care about the team so much that I've been kicked off of ************* permanently, and have gotten suspended from other boards because I'm a straight shooter. Yeah, I rip the likes of Rick DiPietro, Nino Niederreiter, Josh Bailey, Kyle Okposo, Michael Grabner, and others, because they deserve it due to their play! It's not personal. I don't actually dislike the people, but I expect something from NHL players, and they don't always offer it.

Let me offer you this: There was a man who I knew when I was a kid, and my parents told me that this guy would only marry a woman who he could control. So he sought out the quiet woman with a small opinion about anything so that he could fully control the relationship. He got her, married her, he eventually died, and when he died, she actually thrived! Why do you think Charles Wang is hiring the likes of Garth Snow and Jack Capuano, and firing the likes of Peter Laviolette, Neil Smith, Ted Nolan, and ousting some of the teams tougher players? Charles Wang doesn't like to be confronted! He is a weak man who would never admit to a mistake! Yeah, he regrets buying this team, but not because of the hockey, but because his land grab idea failed!

Do I blame Jack Capuano for this? No! He's inexperienced, it's not his fault. I would admire the hell out of him if he stepped down, but then what would he do for work? Do I blame Garth Snow? Kind of a tricky question, because I kind of do, but I also understand that he's an inexperienced GM. With that said, he should not have been interviewing for a GM's job 8 weeks after taking off the pads for the last time.

Why are teams advancing faster than us? How did the St. Louis Blues land Ken Hitchock and turn into a first place team? Simple, a respected hockey man in John Davidson runs the show! How did the Tampa Bay Lightning leap frog us in the last few weeks? How did they make trades that resulted in high draft picks? Again, it's simple, Steve Yzerman is a respected hockey man from a respected hockey program, has good relations with the most respected hockey programs in hockey, and he can swing deals. How do we wind up with crap all the time? Word has gotten out that Charles Wang is an autocratic d-bag, and I'm sure Neil Smith exacerbated that notion, in turn making free agents not want to sing here and other GMs not want to work with Snow on a trade. Think about our trades, other than Ryan Smyth, what player has Garth actually traded for? You have to see this franchise for the crap that it is!

When fans realize this, they can earn a modicum of control. It's time for all fans to stop apologizing for what they see on the ice. When I'm ripping players, a common rebuttal is, "He's only (age here)" or "His defensive play..." - I've been watching hockey for a long time, and I can pick up on the small things. In fact, and I say this in all modesty, I can pick up on more intricate things than most, but if I have to actually look for those intricate things, that's when the player isn't doing his job. What happens on the ice goes beyond what a THN article says, goes beyond what Garth Snow says, goes beyond what Jack Capuano or a player on the team says. Haven't you listened to interviews? They always say the same thing. There are token answers for every question. The days of Brett Hull, Chris Chelios, Jeremy Roenick cutting, controversial, honest answers are over. Everyone is so guarded with the media these days. So you can't take what people say seriously. You have to watch the game with your own eyes. You have to see these players without the things that are recognizable, like their numbers, height, and which way they shoot. You can't have the mindset, where if a player's on a breakaway, and he's going the wrong way, then you see it's John Tavares and it's okay. You have to see everything for what it is, not for what you want it to be. That's why we fail. We believe the crap, and we make exceptions for what players do wrong. Just don't pay for this crap anymore. Don't wear the paraphernalia, don't go to the games, and don't go out of your way to see a game on TV. Just stop believing everything that is being force-fed to you, and see what's happening with the most honest eyes that there are, your own. Once you can filter out all the static, you'll realize that you've been defending the most monumental turd for the last 15 years. This team has been horrible since 1995, and never truly improved. It's been smoke and mirrors, folks. And for the most part, you've bought it hook, line, and sinker by way of blind loyalty. I have a certain amount of admiration for that, but it's still foolish. Do yourselves a favor, and wake up!
Dude... Bravo.

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Oh God! This **** again?

Where do I start?

You want the fans to spend their own money to take control of the team? Really? You honestly think people would do it? I can't believe this is even being discussed. In fact, this is so asinine I have to stop talking about it.

As for the whole protest thing... REALLY? This has been brought up a million times in the past. NOTHING has ever happened. People talk, talk and talk. Nothing ever gets done. A petition was going around sometime last year. I actually knew the guy doing it. Sent it around for 2 weeks at isles games, etc. Got about 40 signatures. 40.

Moral of the story? No one cares. Or at least... not enough people care. This franchise has been **** for so long and has treated it's few fans even worse that the worst possible thing has happened. 90% of the fan base has become apathetic.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post
A radical idea, but what if? Hypothetically speaking, why can't us Isles fans somehow collectively gain full ownership/management of the team? If Wang sees that there is no possible light at the end of the tunnel by 2015, would a deal between him and the fans be able to work? The isles currently are worth around $150 million according to Forbes. Let's say all isles fans together, and possibly another small time millionaire or two who would be able to shell out a majority of the cost, come up with around $80-100 million to buy the team off of Wang. We could all agree to let Wang still have profit shares from parking,concessions etc for x amount of years as well to make up for lost profits. Once the fans buy the team, why can't there be an organization of a few elected isles fans to become the leading owners and have a group of people to assume the role of GM, as elected and monitored by the fans. Then, all decisions would be made on at least the majority of the fan bases decisions and not by imbeciles who didn't know about the sport of hockey when he first bought the team. A long idea here, but it is an interesting concept imo.
Did you even think before you posted this ?
Really Fans run the team. Everyone would want to have a say in the team.you can have that at all.
then your asking a few richer folks to add a larger chunk yet lets the smaller gro of fan have control. There are so many reasons why this cant work

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:18 AM
PJGooch

Wanna make a statement? Get a few thousand fans to stage a walkout in the middle of a game. Walk outside, raise a stink and voice the fans' collective displeasure. It'll get coverage. It'll be effective.

Will it happen? Of course not. The owner sees hundreds of people walking around in his hideous black jerseys (just make that check out to Charles Wang) and knows he's got much of the fanbase either by the balls or beaten down into indifference.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
Wanna make a statement? Get a few thousand fans to stage a walkout in the middle of a game. Walk outside, raise a stink and voice the fans' collective displeasure. It'll get coverage. It'll be effective.

Will it happen? Of course not. The owner sees hundreds of people walking around in his hideous black jerseys (just make that check out to Charles Wang) and knows he's got much of the fanbase either by the balls or beaten down into indifference.
Just because you do not like the black jersey does not mean other fans hate it. I am not a huge fan of it but it has grown on me a little bit. A walkout would def get some attention. I just wonder how the league or anyone would respond to it.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Darth Bangkok

I'd have to walk in before I could walk out.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:49 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
This....Time is running out....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:44 AM
scott99

If you can get 180,000 fans to chip in $1,000 each, we got ourselves a team. BUT, who's going to pay the team their salaries, including new free agents we want so badly ?

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law

Love the undying passion for this team, but I don't know if this even rises to the level of 'fantasy'.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:58 AM
xECK29x

It's just not feasible. The best thing to do is get on the commissioners NHL Hour show on SiriusXM and plead with him directly in a professional manner about how Charles appears to be using the Islanders only as a pawn to acquire real estate and that he is purposely not icing a good product to keep his losses at a minimum until 2015.

This is a black eye on the sport and Mr. Bettman should at least listen to the pleads of us fans or make a statement.

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:12 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
hire kony to help organize?

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Isles Junkie

lack of Snow Must Go, Cap Must Go, Wang Must Go etc. chants bothers me.

NYI fans are just so apathetic to the whole situation. We can only get stomped on so many times.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
If you can get 180,000 fans to chip in $1,000 each, we got ourselves a team. BUT, who's going to pay the team their salaries, including new free agents we want so badly ?
Anything that's publicly owned is not good. But you can play a part in having this team no longer owned by Wang. A sports team really isn't worth anyone's hard earned money. And don't forget, sports franchises are money losers. If the public owned it, it would dissolve in less than six months. If 180,000 people chipped in $1,000.00; yeah, theoretically those 180,000 people would on the team, but you're talking about $60M in payroll to ice the team that you want. Where's that money coming from?

I hate Wang, but the public is no answer.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Isles72

the sad part of all this is we dont even have a bone thrown to us this year .

no progress on arena and technically a month of 8 seed flirtation , spurned by another free agent (ehrhoff) etc....

somehow , the sum of all the bright spots dont come close to outweighing the negative this year .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote