HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Can Isles Fans Gain Control Of Team?

Old
03-14-2012, 11:56 AM
xECK29x

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
lack of Snow Must Go, Cap Must Go, Wang Must Go etc. chants bothers me.

NYI fans are just so apathetic to the whole situation. We can only get stomped on so many times.
Shocked me as well, especially with last night, it was just silent, no boos either.

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

If we're serious about making some noise, why don't we start a collection or something to buy ad space and get some media attention??? If we truly want to save our Islanders its going to be the fans that have to get involved and do it. Anyone got any contacts?

03-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Shocked me as well, especially with last night, it was just silent, no boos either.
I was in the stands...laughing. I boo'ed a few times but mostly laughed at the teams self destruction.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:55 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
If we're serious about making some noise, why don't we start a collection or something to buy ad space and get some media attention??? If we truly want to save our Islanders its going to be the fans that have to get involved and do it. Anyone got any contacts?
I'm all for this and would definitely contribute.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:59 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
If you can get 180,000 fans to chip in $1,000 each, we got ourselves a team. BUT, who's going to pay the team their salaries, including new free agents we want so badly ?
if this was a publicly owned team, theoretically we could issue debt, however, the team would have to be profitable in order to sustain itself....which brings us back to....you know.....

the areenerrrr

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:03 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
i would be more than happy to throw in some bucks for this....dont have time to organize this w work and all but if someone steps up id be more than happy to use pay pal or send a check and give you some dough.....

if we are able to organize some sort of rally, id obviously attend that (though it looks like that never happens)

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:15 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
Wanna make a statement? Get a few thousand fans to stage a walkout in the middle of a game. Walk outside, raise a stink and voice the fans' collective displeasure. It'll get coverage. It'll be effective.

Will it happen? Of course not. The owner sees hundreds of people walking around in his hideous black jerseys (just make that check out to Charles Wang) and knows he's got much of the fanbase either by the balls or beaten down into indifference.
I tried. It won't happen.

You have fans of the team and then the 3/4 who go to watch their kids eat pretzels and soda and don't even know the team on ice.

No one wants to do anything. It's work. Work's hard. Detroit fans, as I've said ad nauseum, STOPPED GOING. 3,000 fans at the Joe made Ilitch wake up.

Long Island consumer vehicles for economic distribution just blanketly plop down money and ask no questions. Like sheep. Cattle.

I thought the idea was a great one, and many here and elsewhere online did, but it would never work. No one is gonna step outside when they already drove to the arena and spent good money to see a 3 goal lead evaporate because our cheap owner is afraid of quality leadership and coaching.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:17 PM
stevedepot

The answer is no. I honestly think it's impossible.
We need a new owner.

I want to also touch on something I've barked at about this team for each of the 5 years of this cap floor maintenance project Wang/Snow wants fans to believe is a "rebuild". This certainly relates to where we are today.

If you care, go back and read the first few pages of this thread...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=978689

read my reactions and the responses from a few people.
I can post so many other threads over the last few years on here and 2 other boards where all of us are at each others throats at times debating ownership and management decisions. Some of us come across as debby downer fans while others are seen as enablers.

Those of you that really know me. You know how I bleed for this franchise.
Been a fan since day one and will be till they are no more.
It's amazing to go back and reread these threads and how so many tell you you're crazy for thinking a certain way until they open their eyes and then start acting as if they just invented fire. Just a few short years ago, the majority of the fan base actually believed Wang was losing as much as he falsely claimed.

Now we are wishing that we can gain control of the team? I think the best thing is for Wang to be coerced into putting the team up for sale SOONER rather than later. And don't think that NO new owner would emerge either.
No GM, NO coach and no hockey ops will ever be able to work autonomously while Wang is the owner. In a thread like this, at least it's nice to see how much fans care.

stevedepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:34 PM
OlTimeHockey

You put the Isles up for sale with a go ahead for limited development and a County STARVING for some sort of usage (taxes!) for the arena land and there will be a new owner. Period.

The problem is no one says they want the team unless it's publicly up for sale.

There is no SMG issue.
There is a fanbase and following.
There is a strong brand identity.
There is also, and VERY IMPORTANT, a huge chunk of goodwill any owner carries when he purchases this sinking ship from the guy chiseling holes in the hull each and every year.

I'm not one bit worried. I will instead worry this inept shmuck with the gigantic ego will never sell and admit defeat. He's more likely to blame fans and politicians than take one bit of blame for Milbury, DP, Yash, the Business Club, Smith, Nolan, Snow, etc.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Islanders1932

Its true the fans don't care about the games anymore, you think they will care about staging a protest. I know die hard fans that aren't watching games anymore because they cannot take it

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:54 PM
imetbossy

Buying the team is a bit of a stretch to say the least, but having fans chip in a few bucks and buy a full page ad. in Newsday ( rather than spend it on a ticket) would seem like more of a practical way to vent.

However even with that, to me Isles fans seem too loyal or too passive. Then again maybe it can all be attributed to them just being apathetic. I remember in the late 90's when I was at a game against the Canadiens who were killing us ( 8-0 or so ) and the fans all chanting "we suck" .... Nothing like this ever happens anymore.. If this were to happen with the Rags. , their fans would start a riot !!! and ask for Dolen's head....

imetbossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:59 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils1982 View Post
see Green Bay Packers.
Not that it really matters - since the idea is a ludicrous pipe dream - but the NHL By-Laws prohibit a Green Bay Packers style public ownership - they limit the share of public shares in a franchise to a non-controlling 49%.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Darth Bangkok

Can we at least get some Chairman Wang GTFO avatars or something going?

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:48 PM
stevedepot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post

not avatars...but here's some goofs on Wang I've done over the last few years of venting.

stevedepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Mustang2750

If fans ran the team we would still have Jason Blake Trent Hunter and Bruno Gervais....no thanks.

Mustang2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:12 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
Hear me out...but how about getting Rag fans to support a protest cause, or any cause to keep us here? When it comes down to it, I'm sure that there isn't one true Rangers fan that would want the Isles to leave Long Island/New York. While they may hate the Isles - that's exactly it - the rivalry. If we were to move away, there'd be no more rivalry. Sure, they'd have the Devils, but the history and spirit behind that rivalry is nowhere close to the Isles/Rags one. If you could get Isles and Rangers fans to fight for the same cause, you could at least get some more support from other areas (NYC, etc) as well as bigger numbers. It's a crazy idea, but it's not like crazy stuff hasn't happened in the history of this franchise before...

That's just my wild idea.

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:22 PM
MTK

People need to get by the glass with signs during the games. Tickets are probably $30 or less

"Fire Snow" " Sell Wang Sell" "Need an NHL coach"

"Buck Boston" (mass connection has been horrible for this team from management to players)

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:00 PM
NYI365
Let's Go Islanders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepot View Post
The answer is no. I honestly think it's impossible.
We need a new owner.

I want to also touch on something I've barked at about this team for each of the 5 years of this cap floor maintenance project Wang/Snow wants fans to believe is a "rebuild". This certainly relates to where we are today.

If you care, go back and read the first few pages of this thread...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=978689

read my reactions and the responses from a few people.
I can post so many other threads over the last few years on here and 2 other boards where all of us are at each others throats at times debating ownership and management decisions. Some of us come across as debby downer fans while others are seen as enablers.

Those of you that really know me. You know how I bleed for this franchise.
Been a fan since day one and will be till they are no more.
It's amazing to go back and reread these threads and how so many tell you you're crazy for thinking a certain way until they open their eyes and then start acting as if they just invented fire. Just a few short years ago, the majority of the fan base actually believed Wang was losing as much as he falsely claimed.

Now we are wishing that we can gain control of the team? I think the best thing is for Wang to be coerced into putting the team up for sale SOONER rather than later. And don't think that NO new owner would emerge either.
No GM, NO coach and no hockey ops will ever be able to work autonomously while Wang is the owner. In a thread like this, at least it's nice to see how much fans care.

And you know what else is horrible? I'm only 17 years old and have started to realize the demise of this team nearly 4 years ago. What is going to happen with all of the fans in my generation and in future ones? They certaintly won't want to stay fans of the circus. Imagine just how many young kids are being made fun of for being a fan of the islanders? Believe me, i've been put through hell by kids in my school throughout my life. What's gonna make a little elementary school kid want to continue following a joke of a franchise and continue to face ridicule? There's bleak times ahead of us fellow isles fans...

NYI365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:08 PM
JKP

At this point I don't fault the guy for not spending anymore.

During the MM era he spent freely. Sure, it was because of the goal of doing the real estate, but he still sank millions into it and made squat. MM couldn't turn that into a winner. It didn't help that Garth tried to innovate a few things, so that is clearly on the owner as well.

During the GS era he's lost his line-of-sight to the building (and thus the return on his $$), so why should he keep sinking more $$s into it? The guy's running a business, not a charity NHL team. operating as a break-even makes sense. Especially if he needs to sell it, keep the OpEx low.

It sucks, but it's logical and to be expected. And perfectly reasonable at this point in his ownership given all the history (Lighthouse & referendum).

As for fan ownership, it's simply not feasible, as many have said for a variety of reasons.

As for a protest, that makes a lot more sense.

One of the SportsNet guys up here basically said Burke was going to finish out the year with Wilson but with each game the fans were chanting more and more for Wilson's head so he did it to placate them. Don't know if it would affect Garth (he doesn't crave the press / approval like Burke), but chanting for Cappy's removal would be a start.

I don't think Garth's done a bad job given the circumstances, so I wouldn't demand his ouster yet. I'm not sure what any other GM would do under the same circumstances.

Chanting for Wang to sell in the hope that some magical spiffy new uber-owner will ride in on a white charger, finance a new stadium out of pocket and sink tons of their own cash into the product is delusional.

There is simply no ROI there, imo, to justify dropping $180-200M on this team. You'd never earn it back and there are a lot better returns to be had for that kind of dough.

The bottom line is Wang needs to figure out what is going to happen after 2015. Until he knows that, I simply don't see things changing regardless of fan outcry.

But you never know, maybe wearing paper bags over your heads for an entire game might help send a message.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:35 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Hell I'd throw in a $100.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Love all these ideas but unfortunately most just won't work. The fan base has been dwindled down and what's left is extremely apathetic or is simply sipping the Kool-Aid. For example, I'm always shocked by how positive the feedback is on the Isles Facebook page although that has changed somewhat in recent weeks. The only realistic thing to do imo is to buy a bunch of seats together for one game and start chanting something like "Sell the Team" or "Wang Must Go." I remember fans doing something like that when the cause of all our problems was thought to be SMG and it actually got some media attention. Do I think anything will actually come of that? Probably not, but it would be good to let off some steam.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

I'm gonna try and make some calls and see where I get.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:09 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I tried. It won't happen.

You have fans of the team and then the 3/4 who go to watch their kids eat pretzels and soda and don't even know the team on ice.

No one wants to do anything. It's work. Work's hard. Detroit fans, as I've said ad nauseum, STOPPED GOING. 3,000 fans at the Joe made Ilitch wake up.

Long Island consumer vehicles for economic distribution just blanketly plop down money and ask no questions. Like sheep. Cattle.

I thought the idea was a great one, and many here and elsewhere online did, but it would never work. No one is gonna step outside when they already drove to the arena and spent good money to see a 3 goal lead evaporate because our cheap owner is afraid of quality leadership and coaching.
I want to believe that STH's have to be fed up by now. Even if one were to swallow the "rebuild" story, the past two years screamed "This is not a rebuild, it is a cheap-out." I'd think even the most thick headed Wangite would have gotten it by now. I want to believe they will see a dramatic drop in renewals. If so, that should send some form of message.

What kills me about all of this is if you model the number of seats they sell (and hot dogs, and beer, etc.) above and beyond the norm, if they upgrade the club meaningfully, it would replace the cash he'd have to fork out for better players.

Sometimes I wonder if the old coot is trying to drive fans away, purposefully, for some reason I can't wrap my brain around yet. In theory he can sell the club at any time, so it isn't like he needs to alienate the fans to do so, nor do I think it would help his PR. I still think his hubris is making him blind to the abject hatred this affair is generating. He really is dumb if that's the case, because with 5 solid veterans he has a playoff team, and yes just like that. You would think that would be a solid card in his hand when bargaining for a new facility. Instead, he is destroying his club.

Crazy & mad as Nero? I find this more believable than it should be.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:52 PM
BillD

The OP can not be serious, right? This is a joke, right?

Islander fans have two choices. Go to games and buy merchandise.
Do not go to game and do not buy merchandise.

Choice number 1 sustains the tyranny.
Choice 2 mortally wounds the beast and either kills him or forces him to get out.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Chairman Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
Why, what did I do?

On a more poignant note (and regarding apathy)... For the first time in my life as an Isles fan, I actually forgot there was a game on. Usually, if something else is going on I may choose to miss the game and watch it later on DVR or catch highlights. But this past Sunday, I completely forgot the Isles and Rangers were even playing. I didn't even have anything else to do. It wasn't until the next day after a co-worker's comment that I realized.

Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote