HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Isles Fans Gain Control Of Team?

Old
03-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Ziggy16

vCash: 500
the fans on the ************* board are trying to start their own protest as well.. also trying to get newspaper ad space for an attack letter, getting media involved, etc .. have fans chip in toward the ad space, creating flyers , protesting at the final home games, etc... eveyrone needs to find a common meeting place online to keep it together and not have a bunch of mini protests going on..

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Darth Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Wang View Post
Why, what did I do?

On a more poignant note (and regarding apathy)... For the first time in my life as an Isles fan, I actually forgot there was a game on. Usually, if something else is going on I may choose to miss the game and watch it later on DVR or catch highlights. But this past Sunday, I completely forgot the Isles and Rangers were even playing. I didn't even have anything else to do. It wasn't until the next day after a co-worker's comment that I realized.
oooh sorry, hahaha

I meant the short little ****er criminal that owns our team, not you!

Re: the bolded. Unfortunately, this is like the 17th cycle of rage I am in about this team over the last 25 years and I am at just about complete apathy at this point. I've only paid attention off and on this year :cry I kind of just watch the NHL in general now, or even only my fantasy teams. At least they are doing well!!!!!!!!

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

I'd suggest the ad in Newsday, and try to make it look like an article.

I'd make the headline, "At least we aren't getting killed out there. Isles owner rationalizes losing."

And then go from there with items such as:
Obvious real estate grab
Increasing season ticket prices for 12-13
Darth Milbury is a girlie man
Inept management
The Chris Botta situation (blogger and ex-employee criticized team, had credentials pulled.)

...etc...etc...

Also, I don't know if the guy/gal who started this page is on here (I think he is), but, here's some people who might want to help:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Wan...37499276282124

Mr Wentworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Darth Bangkok

There must be some kind of SEC investigation that Wang could be threatened with to motivate him to sell and GTFO.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:37 PM
ichabod13

you can plan all the anti-wang protests you want.....
you can take out all the anti-wang full page ads you want....
you can hold all the anti-wang rallies you want.....

and guess what......it aint going to get rid of wang, and it aint going to get rid of snow. it might and i mean MIGHT get rid of capuano. but thats about it. and if you get rid of capuano, who do you replace him with?

if you get snow fired, who replaces him?

if you get rid of wang.........well ive never seen a team owner sell because the fans didnt like him, so thats probably not going to happen. baltimore has hated peter angelos for decades and he sure as **** aint selling the orioles any time soon.

so plan all the anti-wang crap you want to plan, have fun with it, but go into it knowing that youre wasting your time, energy, and money.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:43 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post
have a group of people to assume the role of GM
wasnt the "gm by committee" wangs idea? he tried that years ago and everyone *****ed about it.......and now you want to bring it back?

Old
03-14-2012, 09:45 PM
DocAzura

In my opinion, as a fan, i think everyone should buy tickets to the last home game, but don't enter the Cileseum. Stay outside and protest.

And the message has to be aimed towards Bettman and the league, asking them to buy the team from Wang, and find a new owner that keeps the team on the Island.

I think if the message is aimed at Wang, and the proposal of him selling the team, everything will remain status quo.

DocAzura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post
Let's say all isles fans together, and possibly another small time millionaire or two who would be able to shell out a majority of the cost
what smalltime millionaire ( or bigtime millionaire ) is going to invest millions on buying the team and no have any say in how its run?

Old
03-14-2012, 09:57 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAzura View Post
In my opinion, as a fan, i think everyone should buy tickets to the last home game, but don't enter the Cileseum. Stay outside and protest.

And the message has to be aimed towards Bettman and the league, asking them to buy the team from Wang, and find a new owner that keeps the team on the Island.

I think if the message is aimed at Wang, and the proposal of him selling the team, everything will remain status quo.
and if wang says he doesnt want to, and isnt going to sell?

if everything remains status quo, whats the point in doing it?

Old
03-14-2012, 10:36 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
If you can get 180,000 fans to chip in $1,000 each, we got ourselves a team. BUT, who's going to pay the team their salaries, including new free agents we want so badly ?
I'll give $5000, but what I say goes.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:10 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I'll give $5000, but what I say goes.
and thats where the problem starts..........and why such an idea will never work.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Ziggy16

all 180 million goes into a pool and gets paid from that

for argument sake, thats 65 mill a year for all players, minors and nhl, coaches, etc

and that pile is gone in 2.5 years.. but doesnt account for all other expenses required.. so in essence its worth 1.5-2 years of payment

then you need to pray that fans come to the team, sell the place out and win games so you break even so the money comes from the fans and not your own pockets..

but the nhl will never allow this to happen unless there is 1 front man that collects all the money and is in full control of that money... the nhl wont allow 180,000 mini owners who own a 5% stake in their club... there has to be a majority frontman than controls more than 51% of the team..

Old
03-15-2012, 12:49 AM
OlTimeHockey

OK.....I had the stand facing away from the ice or stand outside and protest idea. Didn't happen, never would.

Want to make your voice heard?

7,000 Islander or Ranger or non-hockey fans, SHOW UP. Call all your friends and use NVMC as a picnic area for a few hours.

Buy all the parking at 5pm and park in the lot. Tailgate. Just occupy the parking lot so no one can go in. Period.

There is no law that says you can't park in a paid parking lot and tailgate without having a ticket, is there? I think not.

So the arena will be empty, people will be out $10 but be able to hang out and barbeque and protest if they like but the arena would be EMPTY. A BIG BIG FU TO WANG!

(even though he makes all the parking money, so what!)

If you go, a friend goes, a neighbor and everyone brings a bunch or cars, it's like a $10 party. Sure, it screws the paying fans, but hey, it'd make the news and there is no legal repercussions for buying up LIMITED PARKING.

$10 a car....bring beer and brats.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Ziggy16

as ive mentioned fans on ************* have already started their early stages of protesting and already got some information about running an ad:

Half page ad:
Monday, Tuesday, Saturday- $7416
Wed, Thurs, Friday- $10506
Sunday $11742

full page ad:
Mon, Tues, Sat- $12360
Wed, Thurs, Fri- $17510
Sunday- 19570

Newsday says "it cannot be anything negative though.. we may not even be able to use the Islanders name, we have to be very careful..

and if said ad does get approval and they get a date of print, they would then go to contact the other sports media about it to go viral online about it

there are your prices and unfortunate side details .. anyone interested in helping the cause should go to the ************* site and hook up with their protest team so everything can be worked on together ... it would be much easier to raise the money in 1 group than have multiple fractured groups attemp the same ideas with different messages...

Last edited by Ziggy16: 03-15-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old
03-15-2012, 06:20 PM
islandersfan1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
all 180 million goes into a pool and gets paid from that

for argument sake, thats 65 mill a year for all players, minors and nhl, coaches, etc

and that pile is gone in 2.5 years.. but doesnt account for all other expenses required.. so in essence its worth 1.5-2 years of payment

then you need to pray that fans come to the team, sell the place out and win games so you break even so the money comes from the fans and not your own pockets..

but the nhl will never allow this to happen unless there is 1 front man that collects all the money and is in full control of that money... the nhl wont allow 180,000 mini owners who own a 5% stake in their club... there has to be a majority frontman than controls more than 51% of the team..
fans could maybe get intouch with Pat LaFontaine and his partner that were looking to buy the team. Make Pat the majority owner and just have the fans be the minority owner. Every week we could have a different rotation of fans be in the daily meetings. It's really crazy cause where you gonna find 180,000 fans to care enough to shell out money. Most you could probably get is 50,000 fans for this idea.

islandersfan1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Pnut

Ok, the fans of this team have good arguments against a few of these, if not all of them:
[x]The owner Wang
[x]The GM Snow
[x]The Coach Fred, I mean Cappy
[x]The Pols (Republicans and Democrats in Nassau)

People can say that "this won't work". Last year Twine said his friend got 40 sigs.
I gotta believe that there has been a change in this country and kinda like this country, Islander fans know that we are in dire straights. 2015 is coming sooner rather than later. Heck some people started OWS and have a couple of thousand people voice their displeasure. Suddenly the discussion went from something like "the debt ceiling" to the "99% to 1%". A couple of thousand is much < than the 305 million plus total population of the US, and they changed the discussion.
Look no one is talking about this. Zero! We are at the bottom. I hear nothing. Talking about it here more does nothing. Even if it is just a few of us that do this, hey 15-20 fans (here on HF) is just a fraction of the fanbase and the population of LI, but a few people can make the difference. Tea Party or OWS or Anonymous proves this, people in general (in the greater population of the US)are apathetic, but even small groups can have a large impact.

Heck just like there are differences of opinions in those groups, there are fans here that have beefs against Wang and others that are upset at pols and yet others that are onto Cappy's ****** coaching style. Some fans onto multiples of those and others. We all can unite together and forget our differences for once and realize we are much more similar. We are all islanders. Time to act now.
Heck I will try to think of things that we can do more than just take an ad out in Newsday or talk to someone on News12 or FiOS 1. But an ad or News12 is better than nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandersfan1677 View Post
It's really crazy cause where you gonna find 180,000 fans to care enough to shell out money. Most you could probably get is 50,000 fans for this idea.
hey we got 40 K to vote yes in Nassau. Maybe there is 40K in Suffolk too, how many thousands in Bklyn and Queens? 180K is crazy but 50K is not as crazy (still is high but not as bad).

I will put $100 in like macleod50, maybe more. Lets either do it or not.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
as ive mentioned fans on ************* have already started their early stages of protesting and already got some information about running an ad:

Half page ad:
Monday, Tuesday, Saturday- $7416
Wed, Thurs, Friday- $10506
Sunday $11742

full page ad:
Mon, Tues, Sat- $12360
Wed, Thurs, Fri- $17510
Sunday- 19570

Newsday says "it cannot be anything negative though.. we may not even be able to use the Islanders name, we have to be very careful..

and if said ad does get approval and they get a date of print, they would then go to contact the other sports media about it to go viral online about it

there are your prices and unfortunate side details .. anyone interested in helping the cause should go to the ************* site and hook up with their protest team so everything can be worked on together ... it would be much easier to raise the money in 1 group than have multiple fractured groups attemp the same ideas with different messages...
Those are just gross totals. I guess the protesting route is the best way to go. Also if we're going to be censored, then their is no point going the Newsday route.

03-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Ziggy16

the censoring thing isnt quite something they have set in stone at newsday.. you cant slander the team obviously, but if you have a clean cut gripe list that doesnt involve slander, you are ok..

like if you make an ad saying this is whats wrong, and we demand it fixed, without direct naming, it should be fine..

you cant put for say, " Charles Wang is a hockey idiot and is destroying the team" but can say ' The Owner has been cutting payroll under the guise of "rebuilding", and we find this unacceptable from a pro sports team owner who refuses to put any money into the team.. "