HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke insists ‘tanking’ a non-starter

Old
03-13-2012, 10:59 PM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke insists ‘tanking’ a non-starter

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-a-non-starter

Quote:
BOCA RATON, FLA.—No way, nohow.

“Ain’t happening,” was the way Brian Burke put it.

Now with the way the Maple Leafs are playing these days, someone might easily assume they have already decided to wave the white flag on the season and begin the “tanking” process of acquiring a high pick in the June draft.

You know — fans in Edmonton are familiar with the process.

But Burke denies he would ever consider it — the Martin Gerber pickup several years ago was our first hint — and says there’s no chance the Leafs will be bringing up minor-leaguers, signing college kids and sticking them in the lineup or locating Vincent Tremblay and giving him a start in goal.

(To get the Tremblay reference, look up Lemieux, Mario.)

“We’re gonna try and win as many games as we can,” Burke maintained on Monday after his suddenly punchless club was shut out in back-to-back games on the weekend against Philadelphia and Washington.

To those who would advocate a Fail for Nail (Yakupov) strategy, Burke has a straightforward message.

“They’re not sitting in my seat,” he said during the NHL general managers’ meetings. “It’s not honourable. It’s not fair to our fans or our customers or our sponsors. In every rink in Canada there’s a scoreboard, and there’s a reason for that.

“It matters.”

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
Whether Burke intends or wants the team to "tank", the end result is looking the same right about now.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:07 PM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

I dont think theres any GM in the league who would admit that he plans to tank.

lebdafor norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
It’s not fair to our fans
The garbage that you constructed?

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Eamonn*

That's just stupid though. You aren't making the playoffs.. why not lose to get a better player in the draft?

Eamonn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:12 PM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
That's just stupid though. You aren't making the playoffs.. why not lose to get a better player in the draft?
It's called integrity and the NHL, as an organization, advocates such standards.

The reason the draft lottery was set in place was because a certain team willingly threw in the towel to draft a highly touted prospect.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Ari91

Every time I see a Leafs fan go on about how Burke needs to blow up the team or start a traditional rebuild, I think to myself if they ever heard said such a thing said in front of me I'd be waving my middle fingers in their face. Many people don't even have the patience to give a new coach more than 7 games before wanting him out of town yet I'm suppose to believe that the fans will have the patience to endure 4-7 years of manufactured and intentional failure in hopes that high draft picks turn out to be elite talent?

Unless the answer is a Cup, Leafs fans will never run out of things to complain about because everyone thinks they're an expert.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Dangles McGavin
Embrace the Petri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
This.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

No team should intentionally lose, but whether its intentional or not the Leafs are losing and at this point winning doesn't help the team, a top draft pick does. I never cheer against the Leafs and will be pissed everytime they lose for the rest of the season, I only hope that what is happening now gives Burke a kick in the ass to re-make this team. If Florida can go from constant crap to playoff bound in a year (even though their division sucks they still have enough points to make it) then "the great" Brian Burke should be able to do it.

Then again though i miss playoffs the goal isn't to play in April, the goal is the be still playing in June.

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

What else is he suppose to say? I want this team to tank and mail it in for rest of the season?

He is not going to say he wants to tank but I'd imagine he does want the team to finish low in the standings as much as possible and get the highest pick you can.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Median

Too bad even if we lost every game left in the season we probably won't pick higher than 3rd.

Median is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:26 PM
empresa

Quote:
Now it’s worth pointing out that Burke is experienced enough to know that even hinting at such a strategy would get him in a heap of trouble. He remembers Ottawa owner Bruce Firestone getting fined $100,000 for making tanking noises regarding a bid to land the first pick in the ’93 draft and the opportunity to select Alexandre Daigle.
That explains it.

empresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:27 PM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Unless the answer is a Cup, Leafs fans will never run out of things to complain about because everyone thinks they're an expert.
The Leafs are located where in the continuum of winning a cup and finishing last?

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Neas Olc
Registered Abuser

OK, great Burke. Thanks for telling us. Fact is the team you built is garbage and will tank whether or purpose or not.

Neas Olc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:31 PM
NewFang

There is like a 20 page thread on this article already.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:31 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Every time I see a Leafs fan go on about how Burke needs to blow up the team or start a traditional rebuild, I think to myself if they ever heard said such a thing said in front of me I'd be waving my middle fingers in their face. Many people don't even have the patience to give a new coach more than 7 games before wanting him out of town yet I'm suppose to believe that the fans will have the patience to endure 4-7 years of manufactured and intentional failure in hopes that high draft picks turn out to be elite talent?

Do you understand that we've done nothing but tank . Do you ignore the standings every year and pretend the Leafs have never missed the playoffs ?

What fans are impatient about is the fact our GM is trying to win and is doing nothing but tanking ( a couple of times without the picks ) .

I don't understand what people like you are defending anymore , i have no idea what the **** you think Burke has acomplished in his 3 plus years here . Are you saying it's okay to be a brutal team as long as you're trying to win ?

What would have been the difference it the teams performance had Burke sold off asstes for picks in the beginning and built through the draft . Do you actually think fans would be upset if we had Kane , Seguin and Hamilton as well as multiple other prospects from the assets he sold off . Do you actually believe our fan base wouldn't be overjoyed by the fact we had a solid group of young studs to build around ?

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:32 PM
InTermsOf*

Quote:
It’s not honourable. It’s not fair to our fans or our customers or our sponsors.
Yeah, this quote is ridiculous. What does "honour" have to do with anything? It's professional sports not feudal Japan ffs.

What isn't fair to the fans is yet another season outside of the playoffs and the (apparently very real) possibility that we don't even end up with a high draft pick at the end of this season.

InTermsOf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTermsOf View Post
Yeah, this quote is ridiculous. What does "honour" have to do with anything? It's professional sports not feudal Japan ffs.

What isn't fair to the fans is yet another season outside of the playoffs and the (apparently very real) possibility that we don't even end up with a high draft pick at the end of this season.
Bingo.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:57 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Obviously Burke will not say publicy that he doesn't want them to tank.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Shimso

Maple Leafs Sports & Entertankment's specialty is tanking (with minimal upside to show for it...); the only one of their four teams that doesn't qualify is the minor league Marlies.

Shimso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:03 AM
TrueBlue86

the beauty of the situation is that burke is so bad as a gm and so bad at talent evaluation that we're tanking despite his best efforts

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Stephen

What he says is right, but at the same time, it's not dishonorable for a team to reap the rewards of a plainly unsuccessful season. So while our futility has previously landed Boston a couple of gems, it will be wise to enjoy what June has to offer this time around, given our honorable, competitive play (but poor results).

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:12 AM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What he says is right, but at the same time, it's not dishonorable for a team to reap the rewards of a plainly unsuccessful season. So while our futility has previously landed Boston a couple of gems, it will be wise to enjoy what June has to offer this time around, given our honorable, competitive play (but poor results).
That worked for the Devils last season. Everyone assumed they would end up with a top 3 pick, then went on that huge run and almost got into the Playoffs. So even though they finished outside the bottom 5 they still won the Draft Lottery and moved up to the 4th overall pick.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Leafan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
I wonder if Burke realizes that 90% of the fans WANT to see this trainwreck of a team sink as far down into the abyss as humanly possibly. As the paying customers Burkey it's not FAIR that your pathetic team deprived us of the playoffs once again AND would also deprive us of seeing a potential star be drafted in the top 5 picks to help end the run awful hockey if you had it your way.

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:15 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Burke would be dumb if he wants to win. Getting a top 5 pick and drafting a blue chip Center (galchenyuck, grig, forsberg) would benefit this team more than drafting an average player in the 8-12 range

pooleboy is online now   Reply With Quote