HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke insists ‘tanking’ a non-starter

Old
03-14-2012, 01:34 AM
mozz

vCash: 500
Why do reporters keep asking Burke this? Would ANY GM give any hint towards a pro tanking stance? No. Obviously they'll deny it, and Burke would be stupid to do it. Don't care though since it seems to be going on track regardless.

mozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Now i know where some of our posters got their arguments from .
Not trying to put anyone down or single people out, I just want to provide some clarity and give a perspective I think most people haven't seen. I've been on both sides of the fence, and at that point, I was among those who thought a rebuild wasn't necessary - that the team was only a few pieces short of being a contender. Time can make fools of us all, and it sure as hell did. There's an old adage about history repeating itself, and it seems to have some relevance here.

I just hope people actually read what's been written and don't dismiss it as just another homer fanbase.

Or it could just all be deleted because a mod didn't like what it said. I guess that works too. Thanks

Last edited by Joseppi: 03-14-2012 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Thanks mod
Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Superstar

So you people think Burke should hint to the Leafs' team and players to throw games now, then in the future to turn it on and be champions?! Is that it?!

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:50 AM
momo

Reimer = backup = non starter = tanking?

momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:59 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
Not trying to put anyone down or single people out, I just want to provide some clarity and give a perspective I think most people haven't seen. I've been on both sides of the fence, and at that point, I was among those who thought a rebuild wasn't necessary - that the team was only a few pieces short of being a contender. Time can make fools of us all, and it sure as hell did. There's an old adage about history repeating itself, and it seems to have some relevance here.

I just hope people actually read what's been written and don't dismiss it as just another homer fanbase.

Or it could just all be deleted because a mod didn't like what it said. I guess that works too. Thanks
I come to these boards to kill some time and talk some hockey . I voice my honest opinion and i hope others do as well . It's not about trying to be right all the time or to put others down .

I have no problem with anyone who actually believes in what they post ( whether i agree with it or not ) . The only problem i have is with posters who don't have thier own opinion and simply regurgitate what Burke says and feel the need to defend his every move .

hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:05 AM
Tak7

Let's put the breaks on this thread for just a quick minute and consider two quick things:

1 - Would Brian Burke, or any GM in the National Hockey League, admit to "tanking"?

The most surefire example of any such strategy is being employed in Edmonton right now, and has been going on for a number of years now. Has anyone in Edmonton ever uttered the word "tank" that has officially been linked to the organization? Absolutely not.

You just don't advocate that. You just don't admit that in public. There's not a single thing in there that I would not expect Brian Burke to say - it's as simple as that.

2 - So you want to tank, huh? HOW???

Seriously - how?? How do you get a professional sports team, full of professional athletes who have prides and egos and who are built from a very young age to WIN and NOT LOSE, to deliberately lose games?

Again, seriously? How do you do that?

Do you scratch Kessel every night from now until the end of the season? That's just not going to happen.

Do you call up the Marlies? Well, that's not going to happen either - the Leafs are down to one single recall from the farm, having used three of the four maximum recalls post-deadline, on Gardiner, Frattin, and Rosehill (Ashton doesn't count).

That leaves the team with one single recall left. Will that really make that much of a difference?

I'm curious - for those that advocate this team "tanking", how does the team go about it? How do you get a team to lose games?

So many people throw out the suggestion that the Leafs should "tank", without actually ever considering HOW. Example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
Burke would be dumb if he wants to win. Getting a top 5 pick and drafting a blue chip Center (galchenyuck, grig, forsberg) would benefit this team more than drafting an average player in the 8-12 range
I don't disagree at all.

A top pick, like a Galchenyuk, would benefit this team.

If you were in Burke's shoes though, and claim that he'd be "dumb" if he wants to win now, how would you go about making sure that you get a top 5 pick?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:05 AM
RonEllisFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Median View Post
Too bad even if we lost every game left in the season we probably won't pick higher than 3rd.
Yeah who wants a 3rd when you could have a first

RonEllisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:11 AM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Do you call up the Marlies? Well, that's not going to happen either - the Leafs are down to one single recall from the farm, having used three of the four maximum recalls post-deadline, on Gardiner, Frattin, and Rosehill (Ashton doesn't count).
Just wondering how come Ashton doesn't count? I know he still played for the Marlies after the trade or does him being traded void this rule since he wasn't Maple Leafs property from the start of the season.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:14 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Just wondering how come Ashton doesn't count? I know he still played for the Marlies after the trade or does him being traded void this rule since he wasn't Maple Leafs property from the start of the season.
It was a combination of occuring before the trade deadline + being called on emergency call up because Lupul was injured; if I recall correctly, when Lupul went down injured the Leafs were at the roster minimum and as a result were afforded an emergency call up which don't count against the restrictions.

At least that's how it was explained to me. Hope that helps

Old
03-14-2012, 02:17 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
It was a combination of occuring before the trade deadline + being called on emergency call up because Lupul was injured; if I recall correctly, when Lupul went down injured the Leafs were at the roster minimum and as a result were afforded an emergency call up which don't count against the restrictions.

At least that's how it was explained to me. Hope that helps
Nope they've actually used up their last recall right. What happened was when Lupul went down, it had us below the minimum roster requirement. This was also because Brown was not expected to play but because he was cleared to play after (on game day) Carter Ashton had been recalled, the recall counted towards our last one as we were no longer in an 'emergency situation'.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:19 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
Nope they've actually used up their last recall right. What happened was when Lupul went down, it had us below the minimum roster requirement. This was also because Brown was not expected to play but because he was cleared to play after (on game day) Carter Ashton had been recalled, the recall counted towards our last one.
Are you sure - lots of talk on twitter that the Leafs still have one more call-up remaining?

I never properly understand the call-up rules, so any explanation is welcome.

Old
03-14-2012, 02:21 AM
Dirty Dan
Saturday Night Lupul

If they don't tank now i am gonna be pissed, we are so close to last just lose a few games more, drop 1 to montreal and lets get a good player. We can add another player to the roster like colorado has with landeskog and send down one of the overpaid next season.

I have no faith in this team on july 1st, we sign crap every year

Dirty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:22 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
Are you sure - lots of talk on twitter that the Leafs still have one more call-up remaining?

I never properly understand the call-up rules, so any explanation is welcome.
I thought I remembered a tweet stating that. I will double check though.

Yeah, just as I suspected: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...whirlwind-week

Last edited by anderson3133: 03-14-2012 at 02:29 AM.
anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:33 AM
steve1873
44 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
What else is he suppose to say? I want this team to tank and mail it in for rest of the season?

He is not going to say he wants to tank but I'd imagine he does want the team to finish low in the standings as much as possible and get the highest pick you can.

He would probably trade the pick anyway. Hard to believe people still rate this pompous moron

steve1873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:28 AM
stavs

well anyone with half a brain can make a connection that if the GM of a team says they will tank for the rest of the season, fans will obviously not go to see their team lose on purpose, meaning less profits. But I'm sure getting a top 5 pick is on his mind and imagining how much better this team would be with it, only to sacrifice the few remaining games we have left.

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:41 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
well anyone with half a brain can make a connection that if the GM of a team says they will tank for the rest of the season, fans will obviously not go to see their team lose on purpose, meaning less profits. But I'm sure getting a top 5 pick is on his mind and imagining how much better this team would be with it, only to sacrifice the few remaining games we have left.
I agree with the overall point of your post.

Few things I take consideration against though:

1 - This is Toronto; we haven't made the playoffs in 8 years. The home games now are as good as meaningless dead rubbers, yet they are sold out. If Burke did come out and publicly say that they were deliberately going to try and lose games, the seats would still be filled.

2 - Just how much better can one single 18 year old make us?

Old
03-14-2012, 03:44 AM
Mowerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafan519 View Post
I wonder if Burke realizes that 90% of the fans WANT to see this trainwreck of a team sink as far down into the abyss as humanly possibly
Cite your source sweetie.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:54 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

wow you people really expect him to say he wants to tank?

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Dalton

We could have been sellers at the deadline. Trading for all those first round picks Burke talked about. Maybe some prospects. Bring up some kids to fill the holes and get some valuable NHL playing time with the new coach.

Is that throwing games? No. Has anyone been fined for doing that? No. Accused of throwing games? No. Is it contrary to doing one's best to win games. No. It's a perfectly legitimate way of doing business. The Flyers and Ottawa did it recently.

What Edmonton is doing, I don't know. At some point they have to start building a team around their picks. Their apparent refusal to use methods other than the draft is just as poor a strategy as Burke's refusal to use the draft.

I agree Burke could not say anything other than what he did in answer to a lame question. More appropriate questions are "is it time for a rebuild?", "are the Leafs sellers?".

Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:56 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
2 - Just how much better can one single 18 year old make us?
I've been wondering that myself. I don't follow the juniors enough to know but is there any potential Crosby's, Ovechkin's or Malkin's in this draft?

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
Burke is a known liar, he is telling Carlyle behind the scenes, I have to sell the not tank because I was so stupid to miss out on Evander Kane and or B Schenn when I let my stupid pride and morals get in the way of improving this team. Coach worse than Ronnie, we need that high pick, next year is when you actually start coaching. Tank but don't tell anyone...Me Brian Burke stupid, I have been humbled and have learned my lesson.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Dalton

Source: NHL Central Scouting midterm (January 11, 2012) ranking.

North American skaters
1 Russia Nail Yakupov (LW)
2 Russia Mikhail Grigorenko (C)
3 Canada Ryan Murray (D)
4 Czech Republic Radek Faksa (C)
5 Canada Morgan Rielly (D)
6 Finland Olli Maatta (D)
7 Canada Mathew Dumba (D)
8 Canada Griffin Reinhart (D)
9 United States Jacob Trouba (D)
10 Canada Derrick Pouliot (D)

European skaters
1 Sweden Filip Forsberg (C)
2 Sweden Sebastian Collberg (RW)
3 Czech Republic Tomas Hertl (C)
4 Sweden Pontus Aberg (LW)
5 Finland Ville Pokka (D)
6 Sweden Hampus Lindholm (D)
7 Finland Teuvo Teravainen (LW)
8 Sweden Ludvig Bystrom (D)
9 Russia Nikolai Prokhorkin (LW)
10 Finland Mikko Vainonen (D)

North American goalies
1 Canada Malcolm Subban
2 Canada Matthew Murray
3 Canada Brandon Whitney

European goalies
1 Russia Andrei Vasilevski
2 Sweden Oscar Dansk
3 Finland Joonas Korpisa

Link

Old
03-14-2012, 07:56 AM
bberard34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Source: NHL Central Scouting midterm (January 11, 2012) ranking.

North American skaters
1 Russia Nail Yakupov (LW)
2 Russia Mikhail Grigorenko (C)
3 Canada Ryan Murray (D)
4 Czech Republic Radek Faksa (C)
5 Canada Morgan Rielly (D)
6 Finland Olli Maatta (D)
7 Canada Mathew Dumba (D)
8 Canada Griffin Reinhart (D)
9 United States Jacob Trouba (D)
10 Canada Derrick Pouliot (D)

European skaters
1 Sweden Filip Forsberg (C)
2 Sweden Sebastian Collberg (RW)
3 Czech Republic Tomas Hertl (C)
4 Sweden Pontus Aberg (LW)
5 Finland Ville Pokka (D)
6 Sweden Hampus Lindholm (D)
7 Finland Teuvo Teravainen (LW)
8 Sweden Ludvig Bystrom (D)
9 Russia Nikolai Prokhorkin (LW)
10 Finland Mikko Vainonen (D)

North American goalies
1 Canada Malcolm Subban
2 Canada Matthew Murray
3 Canada Brandon Whitney

European goalies
1 Russia Andrei Vasilevski
2 Sweden Oscar Dansk
3 Finland Joonas Korpisa

Link
Where is Galchenyuk in that ranking????

bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Pyromaniac3

Can someone explain what Burke has to do with this explosion? He did build this team but they were 6th in league after Jan after 4months of regular season. If anyone told me, that the Leafs would lose 14 games out of the next 16 games I would have punched you in the face.

I just want to know, after Jan before the slide started what could he have done? How the hell could he have seen this coming?

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmoney67 View Post
Where is Galchenyuk in that ranking????
Got me. I checked the link to see if I made an error pasting. I would have to think that as of January 11th, 2012, He didn't make the NHL's central scouting top 10 or the Wikipedia poster made an error.