HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke insists ‘tanking’ a non-starter

Old
03-14-2012, 08:33 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Can someone explain what Burke has to do with this explosion? He did build this team but they were 6th in league after Jan after 4months of regular season. If anyone told me, that the Leafs would lose 14 games out of the next 16 games I would have punched you in the face.

I just want to know, after Jan before the slide started what could he have done? How the hell could he have seen this coming?
He's the GM....it's sort of his job to improve the team. He hasn't done that in three years.

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Gatorade*

Burke is so out to lunch he recently compared Phaneuf to Mark Messier.

"Dion and Mark Messier. Both have rare leadership skills and great intensity!"

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
The California Golden Seals. Sammy Pollock is one of the top GMs in the history of the game. He did pretty well for himself trading older players from his team to make room for young talent. He'd trade them to non playoff teams for their first picks. He won a lot of Stanley cups. His biggest coup was the trade that got him the pick that was Guy LaFleur and a dynasty.

No point. Just a memory.
My favourite Sam Pollock story is that he traded Ralph Backstrom to the Kings laying the path for the Seals to finish last, so that they could draft Guy Lafleur first overall.

Of course second overall was Marcel Dionne....

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
He's the GM....it's sort of his job to improve the team. He hasn't done that in three years.
<ITs also the teams job to compete. Are you satisfied with the compete level?

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Calling Burke a failure is pure conjecture. An unsubstantiated remark used to bolder a personal position. YES, the GROUP has failed. BUt Burke is also the guy that landed cornerstone pieces like Gardiner and potentially Colbourne for non producers like Kaba and Beauchemin. He brought in Ashton and Frattin, who show a ton of jam and some serious skill. Bozak has been solid and redeemed himself after a lacklustre year. And without Gus, there was never any talk about playoffs this year.

That a proven success like Burke has found Toronto to be the toughest challenge of his pro career truly indicates what a mess of a club we really have here.
Burke built the club and I agree. It is a mess.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:40 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Calling Burke a failure is pure conjecture. An unsubstantiated remark used to bolder a personal position. YES, the GROUP has failed. BUt Burke is also the guy that landed cornerstone pieces like Gardiner and potentially Colbourne for non producers like Kaba and Beauchemin. He brought in Ashton and Frattin, who show a ton of jam and some serious skill. Bozak has been solid and redeemed himself after a lacklustre year. And without Gus, there was never any talk about playoffs this year.

That a proven success like Burke has found Toronto to be the toughest challenge of his pro career truly indicates what a mess of a club we really have here.
How would you assess Burke's time in Toronto so far?

I find it ironic that you call Beauchamin a non-producer....you do realize who signed him in the first place right? Or Komisarek? Or Connolly? Or Armstrong?

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:43 AM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Burke built the club and I agree. It is a mess.
He's only really started to build it now. Our club when he took over was pure garbage and never close to a playoff spot until this season and people need to get over that our club didn't have good players to begin with.

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:44 AM
hdtrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Burke has stated otherwise. I think this is letting him off the hook and giving him credit for the results of a failure.

All the positives that come from a lottery pick are purely accidental luck and Brian Burke deserves zero credit for that.
Why would anyone admit that their goal is to lose? Especially when there's lots of hockey to be played and a lot of money to be made?

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:46 AM
One Man Wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Draper View Post
Burke and Co. have already written the season off and WANT a top 5 pick, knowing full well that the trade market simply cannot accommodate their desire for a top center. Burke brought in Carlyle to help facilitate this process all the while taking the pressure off the coach and placing it directly on himself (which is, in his opinion, bearable). Don't be surprised if the (internal) motto for the team right now is go out there and try, but lose all the games you can.
I truley believe this. Burke's going to face a fire storm at seasons end for this teams performance. He will have an excellent crutch. A drafted Top Center. The big fish he has been unable to aquire through trade or free agency. So as you have stated it will never be stated publicly, however I'm sure is very much in the dressing room that this season is over and we are looking at the draft as our future.

One Man Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
How would you assess Burke's time in Toronto so far?

I find it ironic that you call Beauchamin a non-producer....you do realize who signed him in the first place right? Or Komisarek? Or Connolly? Or Armstrong?
Wheres the irony? Beauch did well in ANA, and at times contributed in TOR, but he wasn't a fit. So he was moved, and we got Jake Gardiner and a gem named Lupul. Komi was brought in to make Kaba play with some confidence. He battled injury issues, and Wilson kept him from playing meaningful minutes. Most agree, he will continue to progress under carlyle. Conolly was never meant to be a game breaker. He's on a short term contract until Kadri and or Colborne are ready to graduate. And Armstrong, when healthy, has made a big difference by shutting down opposing top offensive lines. He's had a rotten year with injury.

Burke also signed Verseeg, another non producer who has excelled when he left Toronto. He was parlayed into Biggs I believe...No irony, and no mystery here either, save for the fit that a competitive team has taken an unprecedented nose dive for no apparent reason.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:49 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Do you actually believe our fan base wouldn't be overjoyed by the fact we had a solid group of young studs to build around ?
I honestly believe that this fanbase would not be overjoyed about a "traditional" rebuild for more than 1 season.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Interactif

I just read the quote from Burke and really I am really starting to wonder whether he is the right man for GM fro the Leafs or he just fluked into a Bryan Murray built team and won the Cup.

To even suggest if were managaing Pittsburg the year Mario Lemieux was available he would win out because "It’s not honourable" is really beyond belief. It's plain stupid and speaks to his rigid thinking. One can only hope he is lying, and that wouldn't be a stretch with his track record.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
lol honor?

When does professional sports have honor?

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
lol honor?

When does professional sports have honor?
Honour only applies if you are applying for sainthood, someone tweet that to the GM.

Old
03-14-2012, 08:57 AM
hdtrax

Frankly, all this losing is exactly what Toronto deserves and could be the best thing that could've happened to this team. No one has ever been patient for a real rebuild for this franchise, and now we see why.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I just read the quote from Burke and really I am really starting to wonder whether he is the right man for GM fro the Leafs or he just fluked into a Bryan Murray built team and won the Cup.

To even suggest if were managaing Pittsburg the year Mario Lemieux was available he would win out because "It’s not honourable" is really beyond belief. It's plain stupid and speaks to his rigid thinking. One can only hope he is lying, and that wouldn't be a stretch with his track record.
how do you not get this? the question should have never been asked. the quote means nothing. certainly not a reflection of any GM's ability.

did you ever hear BB say he's not allowed to talk about a player under contract? why do you think that is? do you think BB would ever say he wants to lose to better his draft position? why do you think that is?

this ranks with the stupidest threads of the year.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Burke is a known liar, he is telling Carlyle behind the scenes, I have to sell the not tank because I was so stupid to miss out on Evander Kane and or B Schenn when I let my stupid pride and morals get in the way of improving this team. Coach worse than Ronnie, we need that high pick, next year is when you actually start coaching. Tank but don't tell anyone...Me Brian Burke stupid, I have been humbled and have learned my lesson.
I think this is where I make another passive aggressive but legitimate criticism of your antagonistic stance and you call me an apologist and tell me to get off my high horse.

Though I'm surprised you can see it from your ivory tower.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:34 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

How many years without playoffs?

And fan wouldn't be patient for 15-20 games during a unofficial tank?

Does everyone not see the irony in that?

But note at the trade deadline Burke did not move players for picks, they would not have been high picks, but additionally he did not address the goaltending issue.

Burke purposely left the team with Gustavsson and Reimer to play out the season. Pretty sure that is quite different than bringing in a Gerber to provide some veteran experience.

And while we are talking about it, would it be fair for the fans to suffer through the disorganized run and gun and 3rd. worst defensive team for 60 games and then bring in a better goalie to win a few meaningless games when the season is over, giving up a possible game changer at the top of the draft just to make the season look respectible?

There were all those "Fire Wilson" threads because everyone was happy with how the team was playing. Even when the team was winning people were seeing the problems.

This is Burke's team, and he stayed with Wilson. Don't anyone try and say he isn't accountable.

Bottom line Burke cannot officially tank, but he can go with what brought him here, and bring in a totally different system, and stay with the same goalies.

Thanks Burke.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
I think this is where I make another passive aggressive but legitimate criticism of your antagonistic stance and you call me an apologist and tell me to get off my high horse.

Though I'm surprised you can see it from your ivory tower.
BTW, out of curteousy I did read your reply yesterday. You should know this.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
how do you not get this? the question should have never been asked. the quote means nothing. certainly not a reflection of any GM's ability.

did you ever hear BB say he's not allowed to talk about a player under contract? why do you think that is? do you think BB would ever say he wants to lose to better his draft position? why do you think that is?

this ranks with the stupidest threads of the year.
Think again, his actions speak otherwise by not riding Pogge who is an East Coast goalie in 09 when Toskala went down, but decides it is honourable to sign Gerber. How does one overcome a 10 lbs weight on their backs as this Leafs franchise and still come out ahead?

You mean to tell me you wouldn't want Evander Kane as a Leaf today?

Old
03-14-2012, 09:49 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Think again, his actions speak otherwise by not riding Pogge who is an East Coast goalie in 09 when Toskala went down, but decides it is honourable to sign Gerber. How does one overcome a 10 lbs weight on their backs as this Leafs franchise and still come out ahead?

And this year he is riding out two goalies who are not very good.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:

While I am vehemently anti-tank and I believe the team has to try to do what they can to win, I agree the whole Gerber thing was just stupid.

A waiver pickup when we were out of it made no sense, unless they thought he could help in the future.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:56 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
He's only really started to build it now. Our club when he took over was pure garbage and never close to a playoff spot until this season and people need to get over that our club didn't have good players to begin with.
Ottawa made the playoffs within 4 years of entering the league as a expansion team. If they can start with absolutely nothing and make the playoffs within 4 years, why can't Burke? Burke had a hell of lot more to work with than some other GMs who have made the playoffs in less time.

achtungbaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:08 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Ottawa made the playoffs within 4 years of entering the league as a expansion team. If they can start with absolutely nothing and make the playoffs within 4 years, why can't Burke? Burke had a hell of lot more to work with than some other GMs who have made the playoffs in less time.
It took the Senators 5 years and there were 4 fewer teams in the league at the time.

The more you know.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:

what the **** are you talking about?

you said you just read the quote and now question if BB is the man for the job. the quote is useless because without getting in a heap of trouble that is the ONLY response ANY GM could give.

if you question he isn't the man for the job because of Gerber or other actions that has nothing to do with the post I responded to.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote