HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke insists ‘tanking’ a non-starter

Old
03-14-2012, 10:15 AM
hulksmash

vCash: 500
I'm not a fan of throwing games on purpose, I think its stupid and embarrassing. At least try and if you lose you lose but losing on purpose, that's just idiotic. If Burke wants he can trade up in the draft.

hulksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
what the **** are you talking about?

you said you just read the quote and now question if BB is the man for the job. the quote is useless because without getting in a heap of trouble that is the ONLY response ANY GM could give.

if you question he isn't the man for the job because of Gerber or other actions that has nothing to do with the post I responded to.
A lot of people are wondering if *&*&^^* Burke is the right man for the job, if he indeed is being truthful about not tanking, thus repeating the same mistake he did in 09, maybe the honour he gained will make him the saint he wants to be. Rather than a GM that will ensure this team the best chance of improving it's talent base by drafting high.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:30 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Anyone remember how Burke got the Sedins?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
BTW, out of curteousy I did read your reply yesterday. You should know this.
Appreciated.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:57 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
It took the Senators 5 years and there were 4 fewer teams in the league at the time.

The more you know.
Whoops, 5 seasons. Still, do you think that achievement was harder than Burke coming to Toronto and having success?

And enough with the crappy little comments at the end of your posts. You don't have to act like that to carry on a conversation.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Pi

Good on Burke for not tanking. He realizes that he doesn't have to break a sweat by trying to tank, the team is tanking already without his orders

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

It's just another one of those "for the public" kind of things. Do you honestly think Burke will come out and say "I ordered the team to suck. Deal with it." and expect no response? He's doing what he always does, saying the opposite of what he's really planning. I see no reason why to stray from that. Give the media something to talk about, let them continue their wild guessing. Burke has no reason to give a **** how the public sees him as long as he gets to keep his job and continue the work on this currently miserable excuse for a team.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:00 AM
leafs in five

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
says there’s no chance the Leafs will be bringing up minor-leaguers, signing college kids and sticking them in the lineup or locating Vincent Tremblay and giving him a start in goal.
heaven forbid that a challenge is presented to Burke's ultimate goal in Toronto: to win a Calder Cup.

leafs in five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:02 AM
leafs in five

no way are we going to call up any talented kids as part of some 'tanking' strategy. i want to see what we've got in this Lombardi guy.

leafs in five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
A lot of people are wondering if *&*&^^* Burke is the right man for the job, if he indeed is being truthful about not tanking, thus repeating the same mistake he did in 09, maybe the honour he gained will make him the saint he wants to be. Rather than a GM that will ensure this team the best chance of improving it's talent base by drafting high.
IT DOESN'T MATTER IF HE WANTS TO TANK OR DOESN'T WANT TO TANK. FORMING AN OPINION ON HIS ABILITIES BASED ON THAT QUOTE MAKES NO SENSE.

wake the **** up. the league has rules and if nothing else you know he's going to follow the rules. if he said he wanted to tank maybe it costs him his 1st round pick? then you'd be happier?

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Ometheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Draper View Post
Frankly, all this losing is exactly what Toronto deserves and could be the best thing that could've happened to this team. No one has ever been patient for a real rebuild for this franchise, and now we see why.
Bump.

Ometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Interactif

Quote:
IT DOESN'T MATTER IF HE WANTS TO TANK OR DOESN'T WANT TO TANK. FORMING AN OPINION ON HIS ABILITIES BASED ON THAT QUOTE MAKES NO SENSE.

wake the **** up. the league has rules and if nothing else you know he's going to follow the rules. if he said he wanted to tank maybe it costs him his 1st round pick? then you'd be happier?
Correction, makes no sense to you since you either don't know the background of 09 with Gerber or are simply ignoring it. Thus this quote is valid.

Do me a favour stop the caps, it gives people the impression you are on too much caffeine.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Correction, makes no sense to you since you either don't know the background of 09 with Gerber or are simply ignoring it. Thus this quote is valid.

Do me a favour stop the caps, it gives people the impression you are on too much caffeine.
holy ****, you can't be this dense. he couldn't say anything other than what he did or he would be fined/punished/something for it.

THE CAPS WERE BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEEM TO GRASP THE CONCEPT. It has NOTHING to do with 09 and everything to do with protecting his ass

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Interactif

Quote:
holy ****, you can't be this dense. he couldn't say anything other than what he did or he would be fined/punished/something for it.

THE CAPS WERE BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEEM TO GRASP THE CONCEPT. It has NOTHING to do with 09 and everything to do with protecting his ass
He said the same thing in 09, maybe you skipped a year of watching the Leafs. Then he went out and got Gerber. Does this change your opinion now?

Old
03-14-2012, 11:13 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm curious. If you truly believe dropping to the bottom of the league for several years and loading up with top of the draft players is the ONLY way to build a winning hockey team, why do you still follow this league? Doesn't that make the process of following the building of a hockey team completely boring?

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:19 AM
hdtrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulksmash View Post
I'm not a fan of throwing games on purpose, I think its stupid and embarrassing. At least try and if you lose you lose but losing on purpose, that's just idiotic. If Burke wants he can trade up in the draft.
Right. And use assets like 2nd rounders (which have proven to be more valuable than 1st rounders over the last few years. Don't believe me? Go look to see the players selected in that round over the past 5 years - the list would astound you) to move up a couple of spots in the draft. And that's IF the other team is willing to trade down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometheus View Post
Bump.
Thanks.

We don't deserve to see success because our pride/arrogance/unwarranted sense of entitlement as the "center" of the hockey universe seems to blind us from the realities of the NHL and what it takes to ultimately win a championship.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
I'm curious. If you truly believe dropping to the bottom of the league for several years and loading up with top of the draft players is the ONLY way to build a winning hockey team, why do you still follow this league? Doesn't that make the process of following the building of a hockey team completely boring?
Dropping to the bottom of the standings for just one year is better than hovering around 9th place year after year. Burke himself said teams should be rapidly ascending or declining in this league, not staying mediocre and getting nothing done like the Leafs and Montreal Canadiens. And this is all academic anyway, because we've been at the bottom of the standings for years now.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
It's not the only way of winning, but the Leafs are in free fall mode and it's best if that continues.

Also, I don't know how it's boring if the result of a terrible team = Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos etc all of whom are better than anyone on the Leafs.

I'll still cheer for the Leafs to make the playoffs next year, but this year, all they do by winning is hurt their future. Evander Kane or Kadri? The difference between 4th and 7th is like 2 points right now..and I'd rather pick 4th than 7th.

I wouldn't even mind drafting where we are, just hoping that they don't go on a win streak.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:28 AM
DPyro

Judging by Liles interview the Leafs are tanking.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:28 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
He said the same thing in 09, maybe you skipped a year of watching the Leafs. Then he went out and got Gerber. Does this change your opinion now?
You think that signing Gerber with his 4-9-1 record in Ottawa and 6-7-0 record in Binghamton was an attempt to save the season?

egd27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Whoops, 5 seasons. Still, do you think that achievement was harder than Burke coming to Toronto and having success?

And enough with the crappy little comments at the end of your posts. You don't have to act like that to carry on a conversation.
Poor guy. When is the last time you responded to one of my posts without a shot? Never is a good number.

In any event if you are so right then the facts don't need to be changed.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:40 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Judging by Liles interview the Leafs are tanking.
What did he say? It would be funny if he said too much and the league stripped the Leafs of their first.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
You think that signing Gerber with his 4-9-1 record in Ottawa and 6-7-0 record in Binghamton was an attempt to save the season?
This has been discussed at length, Gerber's career numbers are far better. Regardless it didn't make sense picking him off waivers from Ottawa a team you are trying to finish below to get a higher pick. Murray almost duped Burke had it worked, Burke got lucky Leafs finished just below Ottawa otherwise this famous conversation wouldn't have ever happened.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:43 AM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
His goals against and save% that year with the Sens was still much better than Toskala's, Joseph's, or Pogge's. Pogge had a 0.844 SV% and a 4.36 GAA!

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
His goals against and save% that year with the Sens was still much better than Toskala's, Joseph's, or Pogge's. Pogge had a 0.844 SV% and a 4.36 GAA!
I remember Burke saying something like it was suggested by another team he pick up Gerber. I wonder if that was Murray, if so, Murray is much brighter than I gave him credit for, and Burke is far more gullable than I ever thought. Unbelivable he would go for this.