HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke insists ‘tanking’ a non-starter

Old
03-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Tapcondition

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
And where has Burkes path led us ?

He's said many of things you're saying yet the team is still no better than they were under JFJ . He's tried to win every year but has done nothing but tank , at least this year he kept the pick .

How come Pitt's and Chicago's competitive spirit/skill development wasn't destroyed ?

I've heard every bs excuse but the fact's are Burke has done nothing but lose since he's been here . This large fact seems to be always ignored by fans who share your view .
Burke's inability to build a team has nothing to do with whether or not intentionally tanking is a legitimate strategy. In the case of Pit/Chi they did a full strip-down in order to literally re-build the entire team from scratch. If Burke came out and said we were starting from scratch, then you're damn right we better come in last place.

But that's a whole different thing than saying "hey if you aren't going to make the playoffs, why bother trying at all?" which seems to be the logic coming from most tank supporters.

Tapcondition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:54 PM
birddog*

Imagine if Burke had traded the Leafs 1st at the deadline thinking it was middle of the pack...

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:57 PM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Maybe, though throwing him to the wolves when he clearly wasn't ready would have been pretty cruel. There was no assurances that Gerber was going to be superior either.
A sumo wrestler would've been superior to a goalie with an .850 save percentage. COME ON!

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:13 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcondition View Post
Burke's inability to build a team has nothing to do with whether or not intentionally tanking is a legitimate strategy. In the case of Pit/Chi they did a full strip-down in order to literally re-build the entire team from scratch. If Burke came out and said we were starting from scratch, then you're damn right we better come in last place.

But that's a whole different thing than saying "hey if you aren't going to make the playoffs, why bother trying at all?" which seems to be the logic coming from most tank supporters.
What does this have to do the your original post i responded too ?

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Tapcondition

Quote:
What does this have to do the your original post i responded too ?
Your response had very little to do with what I said, so I was pretty limited in how I could respond.

Old
03-14-2012, 03:18 PM
One Man Wolfpack

Brian Burke the Man of Contradiction....Here's some doozies

Burke: As far as this season goes Ron Wilson has been our number 1# Star... gives him an Extention : Fired 2 months later

Burke: My history has been to build my teams from the net out : Oh Boy!!!

Burke : "Truculence", "Pugnasity", "Belegerence" blah blah blah : We sure are Brian we sure are........

Burke : We have No intention of a tank. We beleive in this core and a tank would not be honorable.....Next he will say this

Burke : It was clear to me the game against Florida after the deadline that this team needed a new direction. We were aware of this and put the actions in place to put us in a position to move forward with a new core group. Alex (Galchenyuk) has been in our sites for a long time. This is the player we coveted since the begining of the season....

Ah yes Leafs Fans thats our GM. Thank God he's still with us. He almost left his position to be the most succesful Car Salesmen the world has ever seen!!!!

One Man Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

This team is just actually a complete joke.
Enough talk, and produce some results.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:28 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Your response had very little to do with what I said, so I was pretty limited in how I could respond.
Your original post said drafting high had consequences . I disproved this and then you shifted the goal posts .

Old
03-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Tapcondition

Quote:
Your original post said drafting high had consequences . I disproved this and then you shifted the goal posts .
I said tanking had consequences.

Old
03-14-2012, 03:41 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
I said tanking had consequences.
OK , tanking had consequences , i disproved this and then you moved the goal posts .

Old
03-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Tapcondition

Quote:
OK , tanking had consequences , i disproved this and then you moved the goal posts .
You did not disprove anything I said, you just pointed out that Burke is a failure so far. I wasn't even talking about the Leafs, but more the idea of tanking not being a legit strategy and instead being armchair GM fantasy.

Unless, of course, we're talking about a full rebuild. Which we aren't.

Old
03-14-2012, 04:06 PM
deprw

If my teams GM, Coach or Players said that we should tank. I would say they have to go. You can't say you want to lose. Never. That's stupid! They're paid to win and at least they have to try.

We as fans can hope we tank. I hope we get as high pick as possible, but I don't want my team to release statement that we want to tank. If we lose and get good pick that is only positive thing this season. If you get rid of dead weight for sake of getting good assets, that just wise. Burke couldn't do that because at the TDD we were still in the race. Not anymore, so we play out the season with team we have. I hope that we get best pick possible, but at the same time I'll wait that they do their best on the ice. That's the purpose, not losing. Good pick is just one positive outcome of terrible season.

deprw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Imagine if Burke had traded the Leafs 1st at the deadline thinking it was middle of the pack...
Woooaaaaaaa talk about history repeating itself.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
Woooaaaaaaa talk about history repeating itself.
It would just be called the Brian Burke Hat Trick...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote