HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

On Sather

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2004, 03:24 PM
packfan

vCash: 500
On Sather

I've actually been much more supportive of him them most Ranger fans. I still believe that management didn't let him do some of the things he wanted to when it came to rebuilding. However, he has done a horrible job handling our Europe talent. He has thrown tons of money at players who were old and over the hill but doesn't seem to want to pay a little more to get our Europe talent over here.

I still don't see the point in letting Fedor and Kondratiev play in Russia. While the competition may be better, the game is played there is no realistic to a NHL style of play while the AHL is. There is also a lot to be said for playing well in the NHL due to a system and chemistry. This team has lost a lot due to chemistry and lack of a team system. We have had loads of talent and it has gotten us nowhere. It's not suprising to see why the Devils take players from their minor league system and they fit right in on the big club. They are schooled on their system.

Old
11-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Fletch

packfan..

today's Russian league has a fair amount of NHLers on it. So it's pretty close to NHL play, and the level of competition is quite high.

Old
11-13-2004, 09:38 PM
NYR469

they didn't 'let' kondratiev go back, he had a clause in his contract that let him go back, the rangers couldn't stop him...they only let tyutin go back...

they let tyutin go back because in russia he will be playing in a much better league against nhl players which will make him a better player...it improves tyutin's development and it also always them to call-up liffiton & taylor to play in hartford, so now 4 prospects have been promoted to better situations...

as far as the ahl being closer to the nhl style of play, there are 250+ players over in europe that that isn't a problem for and it won't be a problem for tyutin either.

as far as bringing the other europeans over goes, he can't sign them if they don't want to sign. everyone always says why doesn't sather sign this guy or trade for that guy as if everyone is just waiting for him to ask so they can jump. he can't sign those guys unless they want to be signed. and they are better off playing in europe this year anyway with all the nhlers over there

Old
11-13-2004, 11:03 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Did they actually make an serious attempt to sign any of these kids? That's debatable (especially in Lundqvist's case--given the fact that it would have cost more than just his salary to sign him), but over all, I don't think it's a big deal for most Europeans to make the adjustment (goalies are probably an exception). Of course, we could make the "chemistry" argument, but, anyone who expects the Rangers to be able to add so many new faces to the NHL roster, much less have them play a new system for the first time are going to be in for a shock if they think it's going to happen over the course of a couple of months. It's not like the majority of players who will play for the Rangers (whenever there is a game for them to lace 'em up for) will have been in Hartford this season (and next season and the season after).

Old
11-14-2004, 06:53 AM
packfan

Sorry, but just about every Europe league is soft compared to the NHL. Everybody knows this. A clear example of why Russian players disappear almost every time when the game gets physical

Old
11-14-2004, 10:43 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfan
Sorry, but just about every Europe league is soft compared to the NHL. Everybody knows this. A clear example of why Russian players disappear almost every time when the game gets physical

Cept for the Swedish Elitie League right now...they have over 60 i believe NHLers. Thats a lot. But Compared the the NHL which has ALL Nhlers...it is soft i guess.

Old
11-14-2004, 01:41 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfan
I've actually been much more supportive of him them most Ranger fans. I still believe that management didn't let him do some of the things he wanted to when it came to rebuilding. However, he has done a horrible job handling our Europe talent. He has thrown tons of money at players who were old and over the hill but doesn't seem to want to pay a little more to get our Europe talent over here.

I still don't see the point in letting Fedor and Kondratiev play in Russia. While the competition may be better, the game is played there is no realistic to a NHL style of play while the AHL is. There is also a lot to be said for playing well in the NHL due to a system and chemistry. This team has lost a lot due to chemistry and lack of a team system. We have had loads of talent and it has gotten us nowhere. It's not suprising to see why the Devils take players from their minor league system and they fit right in on the big club. They are schooled on their system.

I assume you watch the AHL and i would say that is NOT even close to what the NHL is, thats why a great AHL scorer and there plenty of them out there that cant even attempt to make an NHL squad . It is a completly different game from AHL and NHL, I would rather see the 2 of them in Russia.

And i dont know what u mean by they wouldnt let Sather build the way he wanted to? To me he wanted to buy a cup just like Neil Smith did after the 94 one. Sather has his own Euro scouts and he dont do the scouting there anyway.The guy did good at acquiring some decent prospects at the trade deadline, but still feel he is not a good fit in NY and needs to go. This team needs a GM who cares about doing the right thing and letting people do what they do best, not Sather who wants to be in 100% control when he should just do what here is here to do and that is be a GENERAL MANAGER.

And also in some cases if not most i dont understand why Sather isnt trying to get some more Euro players over , and you are right seems like he wont give money to young guys or Euro players but will give to older vets some that are past there hay day.

Closed Thread