HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Equiptment modifications?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2004, 02:15 PM
  #1
glimradnor
Registered User
 
glimradnor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 108
vCash: 450
Equiptment modifications?

I was just wondering if anyone has "tweaked" their equiptment to possibly enhance their (or their equiptment's) performance.

Personally, I bought a Bauer composite shaft last year. It's one of the ones with one convex side and one concave side for increased durability/stiffness and grip.
I'm a left handed shot but decided to get the right handed shaft. With the convex side reversed, the stick now has a really nice whip to it, just as I had hoped. The grip actually feels more comfortable this way for me too...

It was on sale, so I took a gamble and it worked. Has anyone else had an interesting idea and tried it out?

glimradnor is offline  
Old
11-19-2004, 02:21 PM
  #2
Malefic74
Registered User
 
Malefic74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halfway between Nothing and Not Much Else
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
I remember back in about 87 or 88 I followed Ron Hextall's example an replaced all the nylon strings in my glove for regular skate laces. To save my life I cannot remember what it was supposed to do, all it did do was lead to me re-stringing 3 times because of broken laces and eventually switching back to the nylon (which I thankfully kept).

That's about it. Any other modification I have made to my gear has strictly been for comfort or mobility, not to block more of the net.

Malefic74 is offline  
Old
11-19-2004, 02:47 PM
  #3
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Mal... did you use wax laces or regular ones?

That might have made a difference!

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-19-2004, 02:59 PM
  #4
glimradnor
Registered User
 
glimradnor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 108
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
I remember back in about 87 or 88 I followed Ron Hextall's example an replaced all the nylon strings in my glove for regular skate laces. To save my life I cannot remember what it was supposed to do, all it did do was lead to me re-stringing 3 times because of broken laces and eventually switching back to the nylon (which I thankfully kept).

That's about it. Any other modification I have made to my gear has strictly been for comfort or mobility, not to block more of the net.
Maybe Hextall was just messing with people. I'd be kinda tempted to do that if I was in a position where people would listen to me.
"I hold my hockey pants up using industrial grade rope...the kind they use on docked boats. Trust me kids, it's great!"

Comfort modifications are good too. I'm just kinda curious to see how creative people have gotten and if it backfired or not.

glimradnor is offline  
Old
11-19-2004, 04:27 PM
  #5
Icer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
When I was a kid, we used to screw around and make banana sticks (a la Stan Mikita) with horribly illegal curves. They were about as accurate as a blind dart player but goalies hated them because we'd launch shots that were fast and totally unpredictable.

Icer is offline  
Old
11-19-2004, 04:41 PM
  #6
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
I'm sure most people have done that

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
11-19-2004, 04:52 PM
  #7
Malefic74
Registered User
 
Malefic74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halfway between Nothing and Not Much Else
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
They were non-waxed laces as I recall, still can't remember what they were supposed to help and now it's going to bug me. Argh!

My other mods are pretty basic. I've jury rigged the toestraps on my pads so they don't twist quite so much. I have a small tie for my suspender in the middle of my chest so they don't slip off my shoulders. Both of those work pretty well. As does the ubiquitous skate lace as a belt on my pants. I'm pretty sure I broke that lame plastic "buckle" about a month after I bought the pants.

I tape all the straps on chest protector to where I like them so they don't slip and get loose. I've sewn a terry cloth sweatpad into my glove for the inside of my wrist and most importantly, I completely and utterly gave up on the whole socks and garter belt issue about 5 years ago. I just wear a pair of sweats instead.

Nothing overly MacGyver-ish but useful all the same.

Malefic74 is offline  
Old
11-19-2004, 05:11 PM
  #8
glimradnor
Registered User
 
glimradnor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 108
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
Nothing overly MacGyver-ish but useful all the same.
I'm hoping someone comes up with something totally McGyver-ish. Like making his own magical Cooperalls from a dead osprey, rubber boots and an old fishtank...Ideally, the cooperalls would also be able to turn into a jet.

glimradnor is offline  
Old
11-19-2004, 06:57 PM
  #9
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 33,784
vCash: 50
Awards:
gonna sound strange..but for a goalie...bobbie pins...if you got long hair..

I used to. Once the sweat got going...invariably hair would somehow fall into face ..

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline  
Old
11-19-2004, 07:40 PM
  #10
Aerolanche
Registered User
 
Aerolanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
gonna sound strange..but for a goalie...bobbie pins...if you got long hair..

I used to. Once the sweat got going...invariably hair would somehow fall into face ..
Haircut worked for me .


Aerolanche is offline  
Old
11-19-2004, 07:43 PM
  #11
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 33,784
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamix
Haircut worked for me .


yeah..well in the 70's and early 80's mine was down to my shoulders,,,now it pretty much goes down the shower drain.





Gee Wally is offline  
Old
11-20-2004, 03:51 AM
  #12
BCCHL inactive
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country:
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
As an official, it is under my best conscience to advise everybody to be aware of the rulebook(s) you play under for equipment moderation.

Since I know the Hockey Canada rulebook best, here is my advice for those in Canada...

Do not tape your throat protector to make it smaller. I know they can be big and uncomfortable, but if a referee discovers it taped, it is an automatic 10-minute misconduct.

Do not cut the inside leg of your pants. Some pants are made with zippers. If you have such a pair of pants, you must keep the zipper closed. If not, and you cut them, you'll need to tape them up.

You may cut your sleeves, but only as long as your elbow pads remain completely covered. I have noticed that a lot of goaltenders like to tuck their sleeves into their arm pads, exposing the pads themselves. Sorry, can't do that.

Some players don't like the ear-guards in helmets. Well, too bad. They are required.

Tucked in jerseys follow the same concept as sleeves. The top of your pants must be covered. No Wayne Gretzky's allowed.

I'm not sure if this really falls under equipment moderation as it does plain common sense, but keep your chin strap done up properly. You are allowed only one index finger's space between your chin and the strap. If you think you are Eric Lindros or Todd Bertuzzi, you're either going to tighten your chin strap, or take penalties until you do.


If you guys have any equipment legality questions, feel free to ask.

BCCHL inactive is offline  
Old
11-20-2004, 05:00 AM
  #13
Canadian Chris
Registered User
 
Canadian Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,189
vCash: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
As an official, it is under my best conscience to advise everybody to be aware of the rulebook(s) you play under for equipment moderation. http://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/smiles.gif

Since I know the Hockey Canada rulebook best, here is my advice for those in Canada...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Do not tape your throat protector to make it smaller. I know they can be big and uncomfortable, but if a referee discovers it taped, it is an automatic 10-minute misconduct.
True enough....BUT, you can cut the inside, take out some of the linning, and sew it back together thus making it smaller and not getting caught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Do not cut the inside leg of your pants. Some pants are made with zippers. If you have such a pair of pants, you must keep the zipper closed. If not, and you cut them, you'll need to tape them up.
I've cut them...and then had my mom sew in zippers and presto-chango! Life was good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
You may cut your sleeves, but only as long as your elbow pads remain completely covered. I have noticed that a lot of goaltenders like to tuck their sleeves into their arm pads, exposing the pads themselves. Sorry, can't do that.
You don't call that when you do our Rec league games Van...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Some players don't like the ear-guards in helmets. Well, too bad. They are required.
I've never understood players that took them out...what's the big deal???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Tucked in jerseys follow the same concept as sleeves. The top of your pants must be covered. No Wayne Gretzky's allowed.
This I knew...this I think it is somewhat stupid...NOT that I tuck in my jersey..but still...don't understand it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I'm not sure if this really falls under equipment moderation as it does plain common sense, but keep your chin strap done up properly. You are allowed only one index finger's space between your chin and the strap. If you think you are Eric Lindros or Todd Bertuzzi, you're either going to tighten your chin strap, or take penalties until you do.
Agreed here...mine is lose, but if I get hit, my helmet doesn't come flying off...and it's right on the boarderline obscene


and gold

Canadian Chris is offline  
Old
11-20-2004, 09:07 PM
  #14
BCCHL inactive
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country:
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris
True enough....BUT, you can cut the inside, take out some of the linning, and sew it back together thus making it smaller and not getting caught
Yup. As long as the inside of your leg is covered. The worry here is that there are arteries in your leg that could cause you to bleed to death if severed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris
I've cut them...and then had my mom sew in zippers and presto-chango! Life was good
Yup. But if I catch it during a game, the player is using tape, or he's not playing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris
You don't call that when you do our Rec league games Van...
While we call the HC rulebook, rec hockey is not sanctioned. I call players on having their sleeves too short as much as I do for their chin straps, ear guards, etc.

Seriously, I could probably find an equipment issue with 8/10 players in all rec divisions.

Agreed on the rest.

BCCHL inactive is offline  
Old
11-20-2004, 10:13 PM
  #15
usmhuskies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 1,874
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to usmhuskies Send a message via Yahoo to usmhuskies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

You may cut your sleeves, but only as long as your elbow pads remain completely covered.

.


Good thing I played in the US...LOL no for some reason I always cut my sleeves and I am a D man: hey I was only caught once!!!

usmhuskies is offline  
Old
11-20-2004, 10:22 PM
  #16
Keetz
Registered User
 
Keetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Little Falls
Country: Scotland
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
this may be a stupid question but whats up with the ripped inner pant legs anyway? How did this start and why is it done?

Keetz is offline  
Old
11-20-2004, 10:25 PM
  #17
BCCHL inactive
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country:
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keetz
this may be a stupid question but whats up with the ripped inner pant legs anyway? How did this start and why is it done?
It gives players more freedom with leg movement, which helps your skating stride.

BCCHL inactive is offline  
Old
11-20-2004, 10:26 PM
  #18
Keetz
Registered User
 
Keetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Little Falls
Country: Scotland
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
yet its illegal? or did I miss read your earlier post?

Keetz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.