Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential Starting Lineup Next Year

Old
03-11-2012, 09:49 PM
puck stoppa

vCash: 500
Potential Starting Lineup Next Year

This seems to be an intriguing topic for me. I firmly beleive that True North will develop their players and bring them along slowly. What will the starting lineup be for their first game next season? Will they resign Welly, Glass and Slater? Here are some of my thoughts but there are some holes that need to be filled for sure.

Kane Little Wheeler
Ladd Burmi UFA
UFA Cormier Wellwood
Glass Slater Thorburn
Mitts

Buff Enstrom
Bogo Stuart
Hainsey Postma
Flood

Pavs
Mason

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Not really sure if we'd want to break up L/L/W at this point.

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:08 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

vCash: 50
Sounds good to me although I'd rather have a shut down guy with Hainsey.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:23 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Ladd Little Wheeler
Kane UFA Burmi
UFA Cormier Wellwood
Glass Slater Thorburn
Mitts (if we can't dump him)

Buff Enstrom
Bogo Stuart
UFA Clitsome
Kulda

Pavs
Mason

Hope to see Fehr ($2.2M this year, RFA next), Antro ($4.25M this year $4.75M next) and Hainsey ($5.0M this year $3.0M next) gone.

Of the Thrashers draft picks, don't really see much at forward aside from Cormier in the minor league system. Postma, Kulda and Redmond on D will become NHL regulars.

For those saying that nothing was lost on picking up Fehr, we don't have a 4th round pick this year thanks to the poor deal to acquire him.

Last edited by sipowicz: 03-12-2012 at 11:07 AM.
sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:29 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Hope to see Fehr, Antro and Hainsey gone.
For Antropov and Hainsey. Their value on the market is probably small and they can still contribute to our team. Their salary doesn't matter at all.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:44 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
For Antropov and Hainsey. Their value on the market is probably small and they can still contribute to our team. Their salary doesn't matter at all.
I like Hainsey and think we could get a decent forward in return, I don't like Antro, personally I think he is a lazy player, is overrated and has a salary that he doesn't deserve. Would love to see Zach Parise or Travis Zajac here.

ANTRO has 11 points since Dec 22, 2011 not great, he actually seems to have slowed down (if at all possible since the Xmas break)

Last edited by sipowicz: 03-11-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old
03-11-2012, 11:14 PM
JetsCameHome

Hopefully Antroslug heads to the KHL.

JetsCameHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:17 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 110
Antropovs play (though not deserving of this contract) has not been that poor this year. His point totals are low, but he does so much that this team lacks. He gets dirty in the corners and in front of the net and is a very good Pk'er for us. I wouldn't mind seeing him back.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Critical Mass

Scheifele hasn't put up a massive number of points in Barrie (for a 7th overall pick, anyway), but he's had a 42 point swing in his +/- from last season to this season (-22 to +20). He's obviously playing smart hockey.

If he comes in to camp with some more grit and a few more pounds, he may not automatically be going down to Barrie at the beginning of the season.

Critical Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Antropovs play (though not deserving of this contract) has not been that poor this year. His point totals are low, but he does so much that this team lacks. He gets dirty in the corners and in front of the net and is a very good Pk'er for us. I wouldn't mind seeing him back.

I'm done trying to explain why Antropov is one of the most valuable players on the team to people who don't want to listen and just want to rant and rave about how he should be scoring 80 points a year. You want a small tiny team with no defensive awareness, leadership, grit or attitude, have fun cheering for a MTL like team at the bottom of the standings. Personally, I want to win games and be a damn hard team to play night in, night out. That's why I love Antropov. You can't see why Antropov is extremely valuable to this team, that's your problem.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Crazed Fan

Get Dennis Wideman

Buff Enstrom
Bogo Hainsey
Wideman Stuart

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:34 PM
sipowicz
The Original

For all the Antro apologist's in here did any of you stop and think that maybe there is a reason he was demoted to the 4th line and now see's as little as 10 minutes of ice time per game. Fact is he is just too slow for the tempo of the second half of the NHL season, he seems to be turning the puck over at an alarming rate and really doesn't accomplish much when he is on the ice. Sure he is okay on the PK (he is not on it because he is exceedingly good at it as some think, Jets PK % ranked 23rd in NHL), does take the body down low on occasion and comes up with 2 or 3 good shifts per game not really worth what he is being paid ($4.25M this year, $4.75M next) though and at 31 there is no real upside for this guy.

The NHL is all about speed, you want a physical guy who can skate you bring up Cormier and put him on the 4th line.

Antro's 5 goals since Nov 19th, 2011 isn't exactly contributing to the team in a big way.

Maybe Antro hasn't been used properly in all situations, he could be parked right in front of the opposing goalie on the PP, he supposedly does have soft hands but even that is debatable.

Last edited by sipowicz: 03-12-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old
03-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Wpgpage

Would like to grab Barret Jackman as a UFA I've mentioned other UFA defensive Dmen but I think I've settled on Jackman as my favorite. 3 years 4.2 mil per hes an excellent defensive defenseman a vet and a guy with some play off experience.

L/R
Jackman/Bogo
Toby/Buff
Hainsey/Stuart
Clitsome/Postma(AHL)

Look to move Hainsey in the off season or at the trade deadline, whenever you can get more for him. At that point replace him with one of Postma, Kulda, or Clitsome.

Wpgpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Mossy Oak
Noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
For all the Antro apologist's in here did any of you stop and think that maybe there is a reason he was demoted to the 4th line and now see's as little as 10 minutes of ice time per game. Fact is he is just too slow for the tempo of the second half of the NHL season, he seems to be turning the puck over at an alarming rate and really doesn't accomplish much when he is on the ice. Sure he is okay on the PK (he is not on it because he is exceedingly good at it as some think, Jets PK % ranked 23rd in NHL), does take the body down low on occasion and comes up with 2 or 3 good shifts per game not really worth what he is being paid ($4.25M this year, $4.75M next) though and at 31 there is no real upside for this guy.

The NHL is all about speed, you want a physical guy who can skate you bring up Cormier and put him on the 4th line.

Antro's 5 goals since Nov 19th, 2011 isn't exactly contributing to the team in a big way.

Maybe Antro hasn't been used properly in all situations, he could be parked right in front of the opposing goalie on the PP, he supposedly does have soft hands but even that is debatable.
While I understand both sides of the Antropov debate, I have to say, this fact (Antropov being demoted to the 4th line, or, the "bits and pieces" line, if you will) is indeed telling. It has to be, in my opinion. I don't think one can spin it to try and make it look good or appealing. He's been demoted and his icetime cut, that says something. Especially on a team who's thin down the middle and the only reliable centers this season have been Little (top line/2nd line) and Slater (checking line). There is and has been a key role and icetime there for the taking all season long, granted Antropov did fill it well for a bit.

I like Antropov, and he was one of the guys I liked most early on in the season, but my honest opinion is that he has not been a factor for this team for too long.

And maybe i'm blind, and don't take this as a shot at anyone who thinks this (Holden, I know you like Antro and we view him quite differently), but respectively, I just fail to see how Antropov gets in the dirty areas, plays chippy or physical, makes us a hard team to play, etc. To me, he gets in there every once in a while, and every once in a while he gets pissed off and looks like a man beast, but that is once in a blue moon and not nearly enough. Not enough to credit him for it, in my opinion.

There was a time this year that Antropov was a very good player for this team, I just don't know where that Antropov went. I would defend Antropov to guys I know, and I would laugh at those calling in to 1290 to rag on him. But my honest opinion is Nik Antropov has lost something from the first few months of the season to now. I don't know what, but he's just not very effective out there and that isn't just offensively speaking.

As of right now based on what I am seeing, Antropov is replaceable on this team if we can find the right guy via free agency or trade. Granted his contract likely makes him immovable, so he'll in all likelihood still be here next year. I do find it baffling that Antropov, Miettinen and Fehr cannot form an efficient third line, but it is what it is at this point. Fehr and Miettinen have been the definition of useless this season, so they no doubt drag things through the mud there. But I gotta say, Antropov hasn't been very good himself for quite some time now, in my own opinion.

Maybe he turns it around and makes me look like a fool, I sure hope so. But even if he does, his play overall to this point hasn't been pleasing to me.

Last edited by Mossy Oak: 03-12-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Mossy Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Telegin will be here next year full time, slot him in somewhere.
Scheif, not 100% convinced yet, if he works hard and beefs up over the summer he stands a chance of sticking.

Mungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:01 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Andrew Ladd - Bryan Little - Blake Wheeler
Evander Kane - Kyle Wellwood - David Jones
Patrice Cormier - Alex Burmistrov - Nik Antropov
Tanner Glass - Jim Slater - Chris Thorburn
(Tim Stapleton)

Toby Enstrom - Dustin Byfuglien
Ron Hainsey - Zach Bogosian
Grant Clitsome - Mark Stuart
(Mark Flood, Paul Postma)

Ondrej Pavelec
Chris Mason

UFA signings/re-signings in bold.

Notes:
-Hopefully Wellwood would re-sign for three years. He could be a stopgap at the #2 C before Scheifele is ready to take over that spot (one more year in Barrie, one year in the AHL full time and one year bouncing between the AHL/NHL). I don't think Scheifele is ready for the NHL yet and I don't want to rush him. I'd rather be patient with him, like the Sharks were with Logan Couture.
-I don't expect Antropov or Hainsey to return after their contracts expire next year. I could see both being traded at the deadline. Their spots could be replaced from within by Klingberg and Postma or by UFAs.
-Fehr's time as a Jet is over. I don't see him being qualified, especially at a cost of ~2 million.
-I expect Miettinen to be traded in the summer in a bust-for-bust type deal.

Last edited by WJG: 03-12-2012 at 12:18 PM.
WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Jet
Band of Beavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

I'm done trying to explain why Antropov is one of the most valuable players on the team to people who don't want to listen and just want to rant and rave about how he should be scoring 80 points a year. You want a small tiny team with no defensive awareness, leadership, grit or attitude, have fun cheering for a MTL like team at the bottom of the standings. Personally, I want to win games and be a damn hard team to play night in, night out. That's why I love Antropov. You can't see why Antropov is extremely valuable to this team, that's your problem.
You can't explain the complexity of the game to people. They either get it or they don't.

Some people look at points as the end all and be all of a player's worth on a roster. It's ridiculous.

Antropov gets paid too much, that can't really be debated. However, he is one of our grittiest forwards, amongst a forward core that could use more of it.

03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
I don't want Chevy to go all out.
I don't think we are ready for that yet.

However, if we can get a reasonably priced top 6 UFA forward that would help.
I know it is asking allot... with UFA prices usually going crazy every year.

Resign - Glass, Stapler, Wellwood, Slater, maybe Mason.. deoends who else is out there.

Jones and Flood can go... I feel we got the guys in St Johns that could take their spots.

I doubt Fehr gets qualified

I would live to see mittens go.. but with the NMC and at 1.5mm... I don't see that happening.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:10 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
You can't explain the complexity of the game to people. They either get it or they don't.

Some people look at points as the end all and be all of a player's worth on a roster. It's ridiculous.

Antropov gets paid too much, that can't really be debated. However, he is one of our grittiest forwards, amongst a forward core that could use more of it.
Maybe the problem people have, is that at his price point he should be putting up the points.
Regardless of the other intangibles he can bring

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:21 PM
thed00d

Aaron Gagnon is also signed to a one way deal next year, anyone here see him factoring in to the starting lineup?

Last edited by thed00d: 03-12-2012 at 12:33 PM.
thed00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Samus

Despite what some continue to say, Antropov and Hainsey should be with this team at least until next year's trade deadline as their value will be at its highest at that point. One thing people continue to miss here, Mittens has been placed on waivers this season while Fehr hasn't. My theory is, Jets management are possibly in this for the long haul with Fehr. It has been said he wont be 100% until next training camp. I can see him not qualified and then brought back at a lesser salery.
Offseason moves I predict are the following:
-Miettinen traded for pick/mid level prospect.
-This team is tight, look for Mason, Glass, Slater, Wellwood, Flood, and Stapleton to re-sign
-UFA targets
Defense:
Aaron Rome
Maxime Fortunus
Forwards:
P-A Parenteau
Jarrett Stoll
Torrey Mitchell
Jordin Tootoo
Chris Kelly
David Jones

Keep in mind there isn't any way we end up with all these guys but they all add a little something we need. This team is dying for another big centre. I am more inclined to keep Burmi in the top 6 so guys like Stoll, Kelly, and Mitchell fit the bill. They all bring a gritty game with goal scoring ability and the key here is they can also play the wing, so it allows for depth should we need to mix the lineup up. Tootoo would help the 3rd line and it seems now that he has cleaned up his overall game has come around too. I throw David Jones in here simply if we cannot re-sign Wellwood. Jones to me is much like Wellwood in that they are both streaky players and both have 20 goal ability. Both would also come at a lesser cap hit. I do think P-A Parenteau is going to be waaaaay overpaid this offseason, however he would be a great target should his contract demands be reasonable. Again only if we cannot keep Wellwood I could see us going for him. This team will always keep 8 D on its roster and I could see Aaron Rome be this offseason's Randy Jones type pick up. I see Rome as a better player, he chips in more offense and is more reliable on the defense side. Depth is something that will be taken care of this offseason so we should see plenty of competition during next year's camp. Cormier, Gagnon, and Machacek should all figure in for spots no matter what changes that do or dont occur during the offseason.

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Burmistrov-Wellwood
FA Winger-FA Centre-Antropov
Glass-Slater-Thorburn
Stapleton/Fehr/Cormier/Gagnon/Machacek

Enstrom-Buff
Bogosian-Stuart
Hainsey-Clitsome
FA Depth Defenseman/Flood/Kulda/Postma/Festerling

Pavelec
Mason

Samus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Mossy Oak
Noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

I'd like to think I grasp and understand different concepts of the game and the complexities of it, but my opinions stand on Antropov as I stated above.

*Note: And Jet, I am not taking your comment personally by ANY means. I understand where you're coming from, Holden too. We just view it differently, is all.

Last edited by Mossy Oak: 03-12-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Mossy Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Tintin's Ghost

I think you need to include Antro and Hainsey in the lineup for sake of realism. Trying to find a buyer for an overpaid vet on the downward slope of his career usually only happens at trade deadline and neither guy was moved during that time.

Only assumption I made here was that both Kane and Pavs re-sign with multiple years.

Forwards

Ladd Little Wheeler

Kane Burmi Wellwood*

XXX Antropov Stapleton*

Glass* Slater* Thorburn

13th- Miettinen*

* = pending UFA. Glass and Slater seem locks to re-sign as long as decent offer made. GST is one of the best 4th lines in the league, high energy every game, fan faves. Glass 2 years @ $1,100,000 per year. Slater 3 years @ $1,600,000 per year
Stapleton should receive an offer equal to or slightly higher than current contract. He is a 30 yo role player who has found a niche and productivity with the Jets, I can't imagine he will find a better fit unless he wants to get more minutes on a much weaker team (ie. Parenteau this year for Isles)
Wellwood...I dunno. Has said he wants stability (suggests 2/3 year contract) but I have not heard any comments specific to the Jets. Hopefully we can re-sign him since we are sparse on RW and nothing in the pipeline (Machacek more a grinder at NHL level). Not sure if Parenteau going to FA this summer will impact Welly's contract demands. $5,250,000 over 3 years = $1,750,000 per. Too low??

Defense...

Enstrom Byfuglien

Stuart Bogosian

Hainsey Kulda/Postma**

7th- Clitsome

**- Only guys NOT under contract for next year are the young studs. Can we keep both Kulda and Postma? Which one signs the AHL contract? Redmond is coming up too so maybe we only need to keep one. Kulda is more stay-at-home and Postma is the offensive d-man. I would think Kulda's style better suits Jets needs for 5-7th d-man but Postma has had an excellent year for the Ice Caps and is 2nd leading d-man in the AHL so perhaps he has claimed it.
Keep Clitsome as a gift to the fans and potential chants. Good waiver pick-up by Chevy.

Goalie

Pavelec

XXX

Will Mason re-sign for a smaller amount to reflect his role as back up to Pavs next year? Hope so. Be a shame if he only gets a few games out of his custom Jets pads. Great locker room guy so maybe he accepts 1 year @ $1,000,000. Too low?

I don not think either Antropov or Hainsey will be offered new contract next year. Their roles will be filled by Ice Caps and prospects.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Miettinen is not a UFA, sorry. Can't believe we lucked out and get him all next year too at only $1.3 million.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:32 PM
pondnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

Wow,Antropov has been a big disappointment for the Jets this season.To say he plays with grit and defensive awareness is way out of line or a thick pair of rose colored glasses.The only thing keeping him in Winnipeg is his contract and no other team will touch it.If the Jets management thought differently he would be a second line center playing 20 minutes a game,They really needed him to produce this season and his stats show he has taken a big step backwards despite playing with better players.His pouty attitude doesn`t bold well for him to last long in this organization.You have over estimated his value to the Jets,probably the easiest player to replace on their roster.

pondnorth is offline   Reply With Quote