HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Teemu Hartikainen Recalled from OKC

Old
03-14-2012, 11:43 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
True, but last year he was called up to a last place team who had all but given up and he was playing his first ever games in the NHL. I think part of his impressive showing was looking good by association.

He's better than his callup from earlier in the season, but I also think his callup from last year may have given people an unrealistic view of him as a player. And I'm a huge Hartikainen fan.
I disagree. He said in his blog that he was totally worn out and still recovering from an injury. To put any stock into his earlier call up this year would be a mistake. He was just as hungry as he was last year but eventually a persons body just cant go anymore.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:49 AM
SometimesY

This year I thought Hartikainen would be a regular in the NHL.. that is until we signed so many rugged forwards. Hopefully they give him a decent chance. I love this kid! Please don't trade him in the offseason Tambolowe.

SometimesY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
He was playing his 4th game in 4 nights, and then his 5th in 6 nights or something stupid like that.

Maybe if the NHLPA cared about anything besides $$$ it would bargain for a clause that doesnt allow NHL teams to do that to players.
I'm pretty sure the NHLPA does have a clause like this to protect its members (something about barring teams from playing a player 3 games in 3 nights or something), however I think it's only concerned about NHL games played...an amalgam of AHL and NHL games played consecutively doesn't apparently register on their radar.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Latex*
DM is good

I hope they give him some proper ice time.

I don't think he has the skating to be a 4th liner/ grinder, so I'd like them not kill all his offence. And I'm not sure if he has the skillset to be a top 9 player at this stage so my feelings are a bit mixed.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post

I don't think he has the skating to be a 4th liner/ grinder, so I'd like them not kill all his offence. And I'm not sure if he has the skillset to be a top 9 player at this stage so my feelings are a bit mixed.
we have a lot of these players in the organization. Paajarvi, Lander, Hamilton and Pitlick are in the same boat. Hopefully we get 2 or 3 of them to pan out.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:02 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
This callup is great news. I actually was posting about this very idea just yesterday. Obviously, Tambi reads my posts.

Seriously, though, I'm excited to watch the game tonight now. I was considering giving it a miss for the first time this year -- heck, in three years (yes, I've watched every damn game for the last three seasons. ). Damn Oilers: they always find a way to draw me back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I think and hope they'll try
Harti-RNH-Ebs
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Horc-Omark
Petrell-Bel-Jones

The top line needs a grinder, Hall fits nice with Gags and Hemmer and Omark should be tried with Horc and Smyth, could be a great line (although low production).
Agreed completely on top 3 lines. Exactly what I've been thinking. For the fourth line, I'd much rather see Eager-Belanger-Petrell out there. Jones has been doing nothing for me for the last half of the season.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:09 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
This callup is great news. I actually was posting about this very idea just yesterday. Obviously, Tambi reads my posts.

Seriously, though, I'm excited to watch the game tonight now. I was considering giving it a miss for the first time this year -- heck, in three years (yes, I've watched every damn game for the last three seasons. ). Damn Oilers: they always find a way to draw me back in.

Agreed completely on top 3 lines. Exactly what I've been thinking. For the fourth line, I'd much rather see Eager-Belanger-Petrell out there. Jones has been doing nothing for me for the last half of the season.
Fair enough, I give Jones the benfit of a doubt due to his capacity as I percieve it and you need to know that I am extremely biased when it comes to Eager... To put it nicely, I ******* hate Eager, that's why I basically never comment on him or include him in any line up.

EDIT: Oh, and just to be clear, my feelings for Eager go way back and has nothing to do with his game in EDM.

LaGu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:20 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

He's been playing very well with Josh Green and MPS; hope he gets a good shot up here. Love for him to play with RNH and Eberle, he's what they need.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:24 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
I disagree. He said in his blog that he was totally worn out and still recovering from an injury. To put any stock into his earlier call up this year would be a mistake. He was just as hungry as he was last year but eventually a persons body just cant go anymore.
He wasn't just called up once though.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:30 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post

This was my thought when he was called up last time. He could end up being the solution to top 6 or bottom 6, so I hope he has a good call up this time.

Why would they even bring him up if he was injuried last time? That's just terrible.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Timo

Why do people mistake Gagner's size with being soft? The guy gets trampled every shift, but gets up every time and keeps trucking.

Gagner also attempts to hit. Usually not incredibly successfully, but attempts them at least.

Penner is soft and huge.
Gagner is small, but I wouldn't use the word 'soft' on him.

Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:40 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
easy now.

The NHLPA preaches all the time about how they are dedicated to improving player safety. This would have nothing to do with educating fans. A player is more likely to get hurt if he is forced to play 4 games in 4 nights or 5 games in 5 or 6 nights. That all I was trying to say, but of course as your answer confirmed $$ will be more important than safety.
I don't mean to pile on, and I certainly understand the point you are trying to make... but did you think about it in practice?

If Harti has just played x games in y nights.... I can't call up one of his team-mates either. Do I just play my NHL squad a man short? Is that safe?

Again... these guys are professional athletes. They are on the ice every day regardless. As long as he's not nursing an injury, he gets the call.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:56 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
His numbers in oklahoma isnt good, but he has improved lately when moved to another line(they said). Want to see harti up for a stint, but he hasnt earned 1 line minutes, he is replacing eager in the 4 th line and can hopefully get some top shifts (pp) and go from there.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
I don't mean to pile on, and I certainly understand the point you are trying to make... but did you think about it in practice?

If Harti has just played x games in y nights.... I can't call up one of his team-mates either. Do I just play my NHL squad a man short? Is that safe?

Again... these guys are professional athletes. They are on the ice every day regardless. As long as he's not nursing an injury, he gets the call.
The NHL obviously has their rule in place for a reason. Teams usually have no practice or an optional skate after games on consecutive days for a reason as well. Harti was coming back from a pretty significant injury as well in case you missed that in an earlier post. Makes more sense to dress a guy like Hordichuck or dress 7 Dmen as many teams often do when short a forward, than it does to risk injury to a young player coming off of an injury.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Truth Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
He wasn't just called up once though.
It was actually the same case for both call-ups. Both times he had played multiple games in a row.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:54 PM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
True, but last year he was called up to a last place team who had all but given up and he was playing his first ever games in the NHL. I think part of his impressive showing was looking good by association.

He's better than his callup from earlier in the season, but I also think his callup from last year may have given people an unrealistic view of him as a player. And I'm a huge Hartikainen fan.
Whoa! This is no place for rational thought...

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote