HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks @ Flames Cont...

Old
03-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Phu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
It was probably the game before and it wasn't a big breakaway but it was one on one, but the point stands. Niemi is capable and has made those stops before. It just seems like he lets in every good shot lately. That simply can't be true or we have the best defense in the NHL.
It's actually very close to true, the defense is really not giving up many chances and they are getting buried at a ridiculous rate. Dunno if you follow the FTF scoring chance analyses, but take a look.

They gave up only 5 chances last night and 3 were goals. They gave up only 2 chances in the 2nd and both of them were goals. That is just terrible and you gotta figure the team experiencing that has to be frustrated out of their minds.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
It's actually very close to true, the defense is really not giving up many chances and they are getting buried at a ridiculous rate. Dunno if you follow the FTF scoring chance analyses, but take a look.

They gave up only 5 chances last night and 3 were goals. They gave up only 2 chances in the 2nd and both of them were goals. That is just terrible and you gotta figure the team experiencing that has to be frustrated out of their minds.
Yeah, Kent Wilson at Flames Nation did chances for the game as well and came up with the same numbers pretty much - 5 scoring chances for Calgary, just 2 in the second period that both went in.

Basically every mistake the Sharks have made during this slump has ended up in their net. I still think it's as much bad luck as it is Niemi playing poorly.

Les Wynan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:34 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:

Yeah, I read that. The Sharks gave up a grand total of frickin' five scoring chances, and the Flames score on three of them. That's unacceptable.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
OffSydes
#tank2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yeah, I read that. The Sharks gave up a grand total of frickin' five scoring chances, and the Flames score on three of them. That's unacceptable.
Yet, somehow its not Niemis fault

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

So know we're down to scoring chances and goals per game based on this game as to who the best goaltenders are. I'm gonna need season stats on all teams scoring chances divided by goals and matrix that based on where they were in the standings at all times divided by the goalies pay structure multiplied by Defensive Corsi.

Somebody on that... STAT!

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
So know we're down to scoring chances and goals per game based on this game as to who the best goaltenders are. I'm gonna need season stats on all teams and matrix that based on where they were in the standings at all times divided by the goalies pay structure multiplied by Defensive Corsi.

Somebody on that... STAT!
I realize this is sarcasm (and barely intelligible at that) but I think you're asking for goalie scoring chance SV%? AFAIK not every team has someone tracking scoring chances but this is SV% corrected for shot quality faced for the four seasons before this one: http://behindthenet.ca/goalie_shot_q...=12&mingp=1000

(It's sorted by the goalies whose save percentages exceeded "expectations" by the greatest amount based on where the shots they faced came from)

(Also ignore Lundqvist or any other NYR goalie because the MSG scorer is on crack and has no idea how to record shot locations)

Old
03-14-2012, 05:52 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Whoops.

Old
03-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Huh. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to that order. You got someone like Nitty near the top and Lundqvist near the bottom. And not much disparity.
Sorry I had the wrong column highlighted - it's DELTA you want. Fixed in the original post but here: http://behindthenet.ca/goalie_shot_q...=12&mingp=1000

This makes sense to me. Before this season, I thought Hiller, Luongo and Thomas were the best goalies in the NHL and they all come out looking pretty great along with Rinne and Vokoun who's been elite forever. Obviously guys like Reimer, Bob and Varly had such small sample sizes that the numbers are meaningless.

Old
03-14-2012, 05:56 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
Sorry I had the wrong column highlighted - it's DELTA you want. Fixed in the original post but here: http://behindthenet.ca/goalie_shot_q...=12&mingp=1000

This makes sense to me. Before this season, I thought Hiller, Luongo and Thomas were the best goalies in the NHL and they all come out looking pretty great along with Rinne and Vokoun who's been elite forever. Obviously guys like Reimer, Bob and Varly had such small sample sizes that the numbers are meaningless.
No problem dude.

Old
03-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Paka Ono
Pro Ice Girl Scout

"Well, it was a team effort and I suppose it took every player working together to lose this one."

Paka Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
I realize this is sarcasm (and barely intelligible at that) but I think you're asking for goalie scoring chance SV%? AFAIK not every team has someone tracking scoring chances but this is SV% corrected for shot quality faced for the four seasons before this one: http://behindthenet.ca/goalie_shot_q...=12&mingp=1000

(It's sorted by the goalies whose save percentages exceeded "expectations" by the greatest amount based on where the shots they faced came from)

(Also ignore Lundqvist or any other NYR goalie because the MSG scorer is on crack and has no idea how to record shot locations)
Welp, based on that, he had better deltas with the Sharks last year than with the Hawks during their cup run year. So much for the Hawks had that great defense that sheltered him theory.

Old
03-14-2012, 06:21 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Welp, based on that, he had better deltas with the Sharks last year than with the Hawks during their cup run year. So much for the Hawks had that great defense that sheltered him theory.
Well, he got to play against us so they didn't have to.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Well, he got to play against us so they didn't have to.
Touché

Old
03-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
Chicago (really Quenneville teams in general) plays a wide-open, high-risk style that gives up quality chances...but also creates them at the other end. They just create way more chances than they give up, as you can see in their shot totals, possession numbers or by watching a few Hawks games. I think their defense's awesomeness the two years before this one was more in their ability to fuel the Blackhawks' transition attack than it was in defensive-zone dominance.

Old
03-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Solmors

vCash: 50
Just random fun stats of our new guys so far:
GP G A Pts +/- Shots
Winnik - 8 0 1 1 -2 12
Moore - 10 0 2 2 -3 14
Galiardi - 7 0 0 0 -1 8

Combined-25 0 3 3 -6 34

Mcginn - 8 6 2 8 3 23

Obviously we can't judge anyone by these stats really. But they make me all the same.

Solmors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:34 PM
19sharks19

Quote:

true and, it must be one silent unified sigh of 'w.t.f'. But, we still cannot let Clowe and the bottom 6 off lightly. Their lack of production and support in any way along Niemis inability to backstop a lead, are both at issue for too long a time now.

Bet you, if Nitty were given a shot at relief a game or two, he'd steal the starting role back.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
Bet you, if Nitty were given a shot at relief a game or two, he'd steal the starting role back.
This is something I've been thinking for a while now :/

Old
03-14-2012, 07:56 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
This is something I've been thinking for a while now :/
I as well. With both Niemi and Greiss, when he had some games, are both in similar form and I cannot understand why Todd didn't give Nitty one more shot. The back up role was rightfully his and, it's not like he played himself out of the role. Or, like Greiss has been anything spectacular. Greiss was given some chances and, I personally would be terrified to see him as our starter if we were to make the playoffs. Who cares if Niemi's or Greiss's feelings are hurt. We need some steady goaltending.

Last edited by 19sharks19: 03-14-2012 at 08:41 PM.
19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Ouspensky

I just want to know why a timeout wasn't taken with less than a minute left in OT with that FO in our zone. And why an exhausted Dan Boyle with over 28 minutes of ice time was put out on that final shift.

An absolute failure from the coaching staff once again.

Ouspensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouspensky View Post
I just want to know why a timeout wasn't taken with less than a minute left in the game with that FO in our zone. And why an exhausted Dan Boyle with over 28 minutes of ice time was put out in that final shift.

An absolute failure from the coaching staff once again.
I thought this too, i remember going hmm, this would be a good time to take the timeout. You know this may be as much of an indication as possible that they were playing for the shootout. A tacit acknowledgment that we suck 4 on 4.