HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Frederic St-Denis Recalled

Old
03-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
Except I trust St Denis more than Kaberle or Campoli in the defensive zone.
And I trust RC to screw him up.
God forbid a shot from the point deflects on his shin pads, he'll get bench for it.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Talks to Goalposts

He was a pretty decent 5 on 5 defenseman when called up. I'd be interested to see if he can be better than Campoli.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
He was a pretty decent 5 on 5 defenseman when called up. I'd be interested to see if he can be better than Campoli.
Hopefully for St-Denis he will earn a spot as 7th d-man next September.

Campoli wil be gone, one of Diaz or Weber too, and hopefully Kaberle.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:22 PM
jphabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
And I trust RC to screw him up.
God forbid a shot from the point deflects on his shin pads, he'll get bench for it.
I know this might sound like heresy to some, but I don't think Campoli is THAT bad. Kaberle is, defensively at least, no question. But I think Campoli played a lot better in the last 2-3 weeks. I think people need to remove the hate glasses a little bit and just watch the games.

As for St-Denis, he was a decent filler callup, very similar to Diaz with less offensive upside, he's ok as #6-7, but these players are a dime a dozen.

jphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:26 PM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

Can't wait until next year or two when Tinordi and Beaulieu are our call up options.

Last edited by That Habs Fan: 03-14-2012 at 03:48 PM.
That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Andy

I liked St. Denis during his last stint. Happy to see him back.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Hopefully for St-Denis he will earn a spot as 7th d-man next September.

Campoli wil be gone, one of Diaz or Weber too, and hopefully Kaberle.
I don't really see the point in dumping Weber right now, he's not going to get a great return, still fairly likely to improve and pretty decent insurance as a 7th d if an offensive defenseman goes down. If this year taught us anything its the value of having guys that can play in the NHL in the extended (7-10) depth chart.

St. Denis probably is in good position to be the 4th left defenseman though. Although a healthy Nash might compete for that job and who knows how NHL ready Beaulieu and Tinordi will be. Its much better to have a bunch of guys competing for spots than relying on unknowns.

I'd like to see Kaberle's cap used on a guy that can play 5 on 5 though. Decent chance there is a GM out there that values his assists enough to take him on.

Old
03-14-2012, 03:59 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Hamilton took it to the ice caps last night, they played a really good game so it's hard to see them repeating that again against one of the top teams in the AHL and that's before losing their best D. I'd put Mayer in net and have a few drinks
They were due for a good one after the last couple of efforts against the Marlies. As I've said before we have two legitimate dmen, we didn't win with Henry out of the lineup and we aren't going to win with Freddie out. Good advice I've got the beer cooling.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:02 PM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Could mean a little more PP time for Markov, which I'm anxious to see.

DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:43 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Wouldn't mind having him as our 7th defenseman next year, would be cheap and didn't look out of place in his brief call up.
Is it any different than having Weber/Diaz as a 7th? Which IMO is where they should land if we are going to make a serious run anywhere.

St-Denis is kind of like Darche, he is a good plugger but he doesn't belong on any team with any real chance of doing any damage, and it's even more pronounced in a role as a defenseman.

I am all ok with having these guys in a #7-8 role in the event that an injury does happen, and that management is dead set on giving Tinordi/Ellis/Beaulieu time in the AHL(which they all need). I'm all for giving the guy a chance, I just don't think he's a fit on THIS team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I'd like to see Kaberle's cap used on a guy that can play 5 on 5 though. Decent chance there is a GM out there that values his assists enough to take him on.
We have to find someone to round out the Top 4. We've spent much of the season with Diaz acting as a #3, Emelin a # 4, and Kaberle as a #5. Now that we've got Markov back we should have one of the spots filled in for the Top 4 with him, Subban and Gorges. We still need another guy IMO, if we want to compete. Emelin can fill in for short periods in a Top-4 role as can Diaz, but long-term they just aren't ready for it yet. Kaberle is intriguing because he used to be an average yet adequate Top-4 all-situation defenseman. Nothing so far indicates he can return to that level of 5-on-5 play though.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-UFA
Emelin-Diaz
St-Denis-Weber

Last edited by JGRB: 03-14-2012 at 04:53 PM.
JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Hank Scorpio

Would it be too much to hope for him to leave the team on a two-year paternity leave? Congrats to him and his, I'm looking forward to see St.Denis get another look too.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
We have to find someone to round out the Top 4. We've spent much of the season with Diaz acting as a #3, Emelin a # 4, and Kaberle as a #5. Now that we've got Markov back we should have one of the spots filled in for the Top 4 with him, Subban and Gorges. We still need another guy IMO, if we want to compete. Emelin can fill in for short periods in a Top-4 role as can Diaz, but long-term they just aren't ready for it yet. Kaberle is intriguing because he used to be an average yet adequate Top-4 all-situation defenseman. Nothing so far indicates he can return to that level of 5-on-5 play though.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-UFA
Emelin-Diaz
St-Denis-Weber
While I understand your concern, we also got to remember that we have Tinordi and Beaulieu turning pro. While they will probably start the season in the AHL, I'm not sure I would want to sign a UFA (probably long term) at this point, except for a guy like Sutter.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Diaz
Weber

It's not perfect, but I would go with it. Maybe add a UFA but as a bottom-liner.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:11 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
While I understand your concern, we also got to remember that we have Tinordi and Beaulieu turning pro. While they will probably start the season in the AHL, I'm not sure I would want to sign a UFA (probably long term) at this point, except for a guy like Sutter.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Diaz
Weber

It's not perfect, but I would go with it. Maybe add a UFA but as a bottom-liner.
I'd be alright with that line-up as well, but there is no doubt that Gorges-Subban and Markov are going to have to be 5vs5 workhorses in that setup. I'd consider breaking up those pairings though. I'd probably go

Markov-Subban
Kaberle-Gorges (to give Kaberle a strict defense partner to cover his mistakes, something Diaz can't do yet at the level required)

I do think that Beaulieu will need 1 year AHL, and Tinordi/Ellis about 1.5-2 years a piece before they are ready for the jump. Really Beaulieu would probably be an upgrade 5vs5 over Kaberle at this point, but I don't believe in rushing prospects regardless of how good they may be. He'll be a force if we develop him properly like we did with Subban.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:26 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
Can't wait until next year or two when Tinordi and Beaulieu are our call up options.
Oh yeah !
And Gallagher, Kristo, Holland or Bournival may be called up.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:47 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

[QUOTE=CHamps;46068545]Can't wait until next year or two when Tinordi and Beaulieu are our call up options.[/QUOTE

St-Denis is far and away more NHL ready than both of them (although to be far, I haven't seen much of Beaulieu).

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:52 PM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

I'm well aware that he's NHL ready, but he's yet another of our 'safe' players who don't really stand out for any particular reason.

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Is it any different than having Weber/Diaz as a 7th? Which IMO is where they should land if we are going to make a serious run anywhere.

St-Denis is kind of like Darche, he is a good plugger but he doesn't belong on any team with any real chance of doing any damage, and it's even more pronounced in a role as a defenseman.

I am all ok with having these guys in a #7-8 role in the event that an injury does happen, and that management is dead set on giving Tinordi/Ellis/Beaulieu time in the AHL(which they all need). I'm all for giving the guy a chance, I just don't think he's a fit on THIS team.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-UFA
Emelin-Diaz
St-Denis-Weber
I see Emelin as a legit 2nd pairing guy for next year so I'm not as concerned about that. Although another top 4 would be a welcome addition.

Old
03-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Hopefully not next year, I want them to get a full year in with no interruption. Worked for Subban. In this market where the pressure, praise, criticism can get to young guys head IMO it's good to have that one year of development with not much distraction.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Once it happens half the posts on this board will be about why they should be in the NHL over X and X and about how our organization never trust the youth etc.

St-Denis has been very good I'm happy he gets another chance.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:12 PM
goldglove

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Really?

I thought he was..you know..on the other team.

oh well, congrats to him and the girlfriend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thomas_beatie.jpg‎ (11.2 KB, 2 views)

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:13 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:

Both of those guys should spend AT LEAST 1 full season in the AHL before being called up. Unless its to give them a 2-3 game taste of the NHL and get them some NHL money to play around with.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Habsfanatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reem View Post
Well at least St-Denis work his butt off. He doesn't float around and avoid every possible physical contact like the other 2 softies do , and that even if he is smaller than both.

Kabs and Campor may more points in the NHL but as a depth defensemen i'd take St-Denis on heart and hard work over these creampuffs every day of the week and twice on sunday.
Exactly and Kabs & Campoli's offensive doesn't make up for their defensive gaffes.

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:45 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Great game tonight.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:23 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Great game tonight.
very unsurprising to be perfectly honest

i can't speak for the kind of matchups he plays against but he's been very reliable, has a decent breakout pass and is so-so physical. gorges with more offense is a nice comparison.

no, im not saying he's as good as gorges now, but he could be. shame he's not bigger, meaner and more physical though. he doesn't do any flashy stuff so im not surprised if he starts to get a bad reputation around these parts

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:44 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Good game by St.Denis. Nothing special, he just does what he needs to do.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote