HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who gets blamed this year for all the late game collapses?

Old
03-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Isles4ever82

vCash: 500
Who gets blamed this year for all the late game collapses?

This Islanders team leads the NHL this year in late game collapses, they have 9 games when they were leading after 2 periods and lost those games. Who gets the blame? We are the WORST team in the NHL in that department.

The players? Coaches? Or Snow for assembling this discrase of a team?

Who's the scapegoat this year for all the late game collapses?

The last 2 years posters on this site blamed it on Gillies or Konopka because the Islanders coulden't "roll 4 lines".

Well Gillies-Konopka or Haley are not here, so why do we still keep giving up leads? We heard all the excuses last year from certin posters, that the Islanders give up leads late in games because we cant "roll 4 lines" and double shifting players because of "usless" Gillies made our team tired.
That myth has in fact been proven wrong and just shows how absurd that argument even was.
How come we are worse this year? We "roll 4 lines" so that should mean everyone is fresh and not tired like some around here claimed last year when we gave up leads and tried to put the blame on 4th liners. So who's the scapegoat this year?

Who gets the blame this year?

Isles4ever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:33 PM
StrongIslanders90

Wang

Snow

Cappy

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:40 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Wang

Snow

Cappy
Wang bc he will not spend on players and a real nhl coach.

Snow bc he does a poor job of using the funds available to him and poor asset management.

Cappy bc he does not have the mettle to be a NHL coach, let one with a team that lacks, skill, touchiness, and leadership.

The players need guidance, veteran that can calm them down, and to stay mentally focused.

The BEST part is the Isles did not suffer significant man games lost to any critical contributor. This season is 100 percent on the management and coaching staff and exposes them badly for poor decision making.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Isles72

paul martin , dan hamhuis , christian ehrhoff

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:51 PM
scott99

Poor Coaching. The timeout should have been called after Washington's second goal last night. He always waits until it's too late.

Also I blame Nabakov a bit as well. He has not been nearly as good as he was pre trade deadline. He hasn't stolen any games for the Isles, and in fact has been pretty bad since then. It's like he decided to take it easy after the trade deadline. In hindsight, since he's played so poorly, we probably should have dealt him prior to the deadline when his value was so high, I doubt he signs with us. Poulin and Nilsson have been better than Nabakov since the deadline.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Bauer Warrior*

When a business is performing horribly, the owner is responsible.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:58 PM
blitzkriegs

8 points out of the playoffs yet 2 points from 15 in the conference and two ufas are allowed to stay???

Garth wanted too much for PA and it backfired. Same with Nabby.

Now back to the lottery!

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
From a fans perspective the answer is all of the above.

From the teams perspective, NOBODY. Nobody ever gets held accountable for anything with this franchise.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:04 PM
MTK

The arena

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

My blame lays with Wang first and foremost. I rate that at 85%.

I blame Snow 5%, for his lack of a splash last summer, although I know he tried. The excuses have to end sometime.

I blame Capuano 10% for the lack of getting this team ready for important games and holding them accountable. After some of the collapses lately, this team should have taken the ice after the arena cleared out and made them skate till they couldn't walk. Maybe things on LI are a little too cozy.

03-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Wang bc he will not spend on players and a real nhl coach.

Snow bc he does a poor job of using the funds available to him and poor asset management.

Cappy bc he does not have the mettle to be a NHL coach, let one with a team that lacks, skill, touchiness, and leadership.
This. All three need to be replaced.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:14 PM
LAIslanderFan

Snow.

The team collapses late in games, because they're generally a smallish team, and opponants wear them down over the course of a game.

Anyone who suggests the Islanders should use their 1st round pick for Nail if he's available should not point the finger here. The Islanders need to start getting bigger.

Last year the Isles drafted Ryan Strome. I don't question his ability or talent, but Sean Couturier would have been a better fit, so would Dougie Hamilton. Players like Strome need bigger players around them to succeed. Even JT has got to be getting frustrated with the beating he takes game in and game out. Playing alongside two nonphysical players like Moulson and PA only adds to the abuse he has to endure.

Hopefully we'll see Anders Lee in the near future, Kabanov will fill out and Brock Nelson will learn to play with an edge. If that happens, that kind of support will help JT and Strome's game immensely.
In the meantime, let's draft Jacob Trouba. He's big, he's mean and he'll help the Islanders wear down the other teams, instead of vice versa.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
I dont even need to say it, it's all been said.

1. Wang
2. Snow
3. Capuano

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:22 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Wang
Wang
And Wang

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Strome18

Is it the slow starts or the late game collapses?
So between both those stats, we are where we are as a team.
We need more experience and this reminds me of the early 70s.
Hopefully this will be a growing experience for all involved.
Thompson needs to become our coach but with more talent to play with.

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:30 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
I will continue to hold Wang accountable for all this team's problems. A better coach might be able to eke out two or three more wins, a better GM maybe lands at least one decent free-agent, but until we get an owner who stops scamming his way to the salary floor, this will never be a competitive team.

03-14-2012, 02:39 PM
19 in a row

the quality of players and poor business judgment can all be layed at Snow and Wangs feet but if we are talking about games where we were winning and collapsed, to me, Cappy has to take that responsibility... (past) time for a coaching change..

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Volek25

Send a message via AIM to Volek25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
the quality of players and poor business judgment can all be layed at Snow and Wangs feet but if we are talking about games where we were winning and collapsed, to me, Cappy has to take that responsibility... (past) time for a coaching change..
Correct!

These horrible third period collapses, getting scored on the first shot a dozen times, lack luster efforts, passengers, lack of discipline, lack of structure, forecheck, d zone coverage, intensity...the list goes on and on.

These are all characteristics of poor coaching. It is the coaches responsibility (and the players are not completely off the hook either) to instill these things in there team. It is the coach who helps motivate the players to come out hard at the drop of the puck, to push the players, to instill some kind of system and we see game after game the complete lack of everything. There is no mixing up lines to create offense, no matching of lines, no adjustments in game to opponents play, no plan on dealing with defensive faceoffs late in games while protecting a lead...how many times have we heard "that was a set play" used against us and end up in our net? Because we have a coach who is just back there playing coach without a real clue as to how to handle his team, players and game...

Ok, I'm done...

Volek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Original Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Wang

Snow

Cappy
This is the correct answer to any question regarding what's wrong with any facet of this organ-eye-zation

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:25 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Wang - for creating an atmosphere of failure. He couldn't have been any less effective as an owner even if it was his mission. He did this by surrounding himself with "friends", ridding himself and the organization of any competence (I don't need to list them) and using the arena (real-estate development project) to hold the players/fans hostage. Oh, and providing an internal cap that's significantly below the cap floor - way to win! #sad

Snow - inability to reach the cap floor with any player who actually helped the team. Colossal failure. No trades at the deadline or before. No waiver pick-ups out of desperation. No player development at any level with maybe 1-2 exceptions. Refusing to hire a capable coach, either because of payroll or threat to his position or some other reason...bottom line, Isles sending yet another representative to the cheesy lottery draw with Bill Daly. #sad

Capuano - seems like a nice guy, in over his head with this team and this league. While you cannot draw water from stones, I have to think that a better coach would be able to get a bit more from the players in terms of EFFORT and consistency. He looks defeated and doesn't exude any confidence on the bench, I doubt the players can draw anything positive from all the uncertainty and confused-looking Cappy-behind-the-bench image. If he were a celebrity, TMZ would have a whole section on him and he'd probably have a reality show slotted between the Kardashians and Tori Spelling. #sad

The collapse happens because of lack of talent, experience, confidence and complete lack of prior success. Losing is as infectious as winning, probably moreso.

How can you tell the difference between rebuilding and perennial mediocrity? #withthisteamyoucannot

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:26 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post

I blame Snow 5%, for his lack of a splash last summer, although I know he tried. The excuses have to end sometime.

I blame Capuano 10% for the lack of getting this team ready for important games and holding them accountable. After some of the collapses lately, this team should have taken the ice after the arena cleared out and made them skate till they couldn't walk. Maybe things on LI are a little too cozy.
/end thread.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:44 PM
MTK

Wang and Snow share the same blame since they are the same people.

Garth decided Pandolfololol and Staios were perfect for this team. Of course Staios hasn't been that bad...since the team is bad, he looks OK....

Garth once again wanted to much for PA and Nabby.

Garth has chosen the coaches as well as fired the only NHL coach under his tenure.

He needed to use some of his shiny draft picks or prospects to make this team better. I am not talking about selling the farm.

The asset management has been bad.

Garth has stated Charles has not held him back (which we know is BS) but Snow has said that so he shares the same blame as Wang.

Last edited by MTK: 03-14-2012 at 03:51 PM.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post

Agree with this for for most part, but the players get 0% of the blame?

They suck. Plain and simple. On OV's 2nd goal last night the D was a god damn mess. Same with his 1st actually. The players need to take at least 15% of the blame. You could have the best coaches in the game behind the bench and it won't make a lick of difference if the players don't execute.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:34 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
I can't believe that people are actually saying that a late game collapse is because of an owner and GM. While Wang is obviously a horrible owner and people may not like Snow, the only person to be held accountable for the late collapses is Capuano. The team seems to have no problem taking 2-3 goal leads going into the third but they aren't prepared to finish the game strong. The person that can control this and stress the need to play a full 60 minutes is the coach. A good coach would make sure that the first time a team collapses with a 2+ goal lead in the third will be the last time. The coach is obviously not preparing his players to play a full 60 minutes.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Poor Coaching. The timeout should have been called after Washington's second goal last night. He always waits until it's too late.

Also I blame Nabakov a bit as well. He has not been nearly as good as he was pre trade deadline. He hasn't stolen any games for the Isles, and in fact has been pretty bad since then. It's like he decided to take it easy after the trade deadline. In hindsight, since he's played so poorly, we probably should have dealt him prior to the deadline when his value was so high, I doubt he signs with us. Poulin and Nilsson have been better than Nabakov since the deadline.

This

I was hoping Cappy was going too call a time out after the 3rd goal at the very least, but it did not happen.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote