HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Fire Them All Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2011, 03:05 PM
JacketFanInFL

vCash: 500
Fire Them All Thread Part II

Light the Lamp brought up an intriguing name: Paul Fenton who is the assistant GM for the Nashville Predators.

He's been a GM on a very successful minor league team, comes from an organization that does it correctly and builds through the draft, and clearly understands that you build from the net out.

Better than a wild card like Hextall in my opinion.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=36986

Old
11-06-2011, 03:11 PM
AlienLanes82

Sounds good to me. What Nashville has managed to do given their financial constraints, in terms of both consistently competitive teams and getting butts in the seats in a new hockey market is truly impressive.

Old
11-06-2011, 03:12 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketFanInFL View Post
Light the Lamp brought up an intriguing name: Paul Fenton who is the assistant GM for the Nashville Predators.

He's been a GM on a very successful minor league team, comes from an organization that does it correctly and builds through the draft, and clearly understands that you build from the net out.

Better than a wild card like Hextall in my opinion.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=36986
No offense, but he didn't bring up anything. Porty reported he was in Nationwide last week.

Old
11-06-2011, 03:13 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

With Howson and Priest sitting together at practice and Arniel still kickin', I wonder if there was some sort of meeting of minds this morning before the 10 am team meeting, with just these three, kind of a "We better hang together or we'll all hang separately" powwow?

I have to be honest, I'm shocked Arniel is still the coach today.... Nothing personal against Arniel, but last night was all the ammo a sane person needed to give him the hook.

Old
11-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Another minor league/assistant NHL GM? No thanks! We have one of those and he sucks! Get one who has actual NHL GM experience! Hell I'd take Mike Keenan, at least he has balls to kick ass! How could he possibly do any worse!

Old
11-06-2011, 03:19 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Another minor league/assistant NHL GM? No thanks! We have one of those and he sucks! Get one who has actual NHL GM experience! Hell I'd take Mike Keenan, at least he has balls to kick ass! How could he possibly do any worse!
keenan is available... Doing Analyst work.

Old
11-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

oh boy...mike keenan...he really knows talent in today's NHL...

Old
11-06-2011, 03:24 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienLanes82 View Post
Sounds good to me. What Nashville has managed to do given their financial constraints, in terms of both consistently competitive teams and getting butts in the seats in a new hockey market is truly impressive.
Nashville has
- a top 3 NHL goalie
- two top 10 dman (they will lose one) and
- play a defensive trap

The most glaring shortcoming is an NHL calibre goalie because good goaltending can hide a lot of mistakes.

If they wait till next year they may be able to pick up UFA like Vokoun or perhaps Huet playing in SEL. This year they could try to trade for Clemmelson or Niittymaki or Nabakov as a short term solution but only if its cheap because playoffs are pretty much a no go.

Old
11-06-2011, 03:28 PM
JacketFanInFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Look at where Howson came from: Not exactly an impressive Edmonton team.

Fenton's demonstrated success at all levels so far and with the correct mentality.

Old
11-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

it would be nice to trade nash to nashville for weber, sign fenton as GM, he resign weber here...its a great fairytale is wish could happen....and sounds great in my head

Old
11-06-2011, 03:44 PM
solomonsacct

Hextall all the way.

Look, this team is going to be very bad for very long. We're locked in contracts so bloated that they would embarrass Real Madrid. And we're the Blue Jackets.

We might as well have some fun.

I look forward to FSN Ohio showing press box chest pounding after goals and all kinds of wild sh**.

Bring in Hex and two dollar beer nights. Why must we suck in the most corporate, bland, stale environment in the history of sporting competition? Let's get drunk.

Old
11-06-2011, 04:58 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

This team has a terribly flawed roster. There is no shut down ability on the blue line. The young forwards are terribly undeveloped. Watching Calvert and Atkinson thrash around wildly on the ice like fish out of water is an indictment of both the GM and the coaching.

They need a GM who will build a proper roster, then institute a system that players learn - no - is ingrained in them in the minors and maintained in Columbus.

Old
11-06-2011, 05:33 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonsacct View Post
Hextall all the way.

Look, this team is going to be very bad for very long. We're locked in contracts so bloated that they would embarrass Real Madrid. And we're the Blue Jackets.

We might as well have some fun.

I look forward to FSN Ohio showing press box chest pounding after goals and all kinds of wild sh**.

Bring in Hex and two dollar beer nights. Why must we suck in the most corporate, bland, stale environment in the history of sporting competition? Let's get drunk.
I like your style Solomon, welcome to the board. On the right is where we keep our mods Over on the left is our cliff

Old
11-06-2011, 06:11 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
keenan is available... Doing Analyst work.
Very true. He was on NHL's XM channel last week and he was asked if he was interested in returning to the NHL as coach. He was, and really sounded like he was chomping at the bit.

I listened to the whole interview thinking from a CBJ perspective and although there's a lot of question marks about how he could coach the 'new' NHL, I can't help but think an "Iron Mike" is exactly what this room needs.

Maybe not Keenan, but someone capable of an 'attitude adjustment'.

Old
11-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

I don't think Keenan is a better choice for this team than hitch....maybe just me...

Old
11-06-2011, 06:26 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
I don't think Keenan is a better choice for this team than hitch....maybe just me...
Hitch has the advantage of already being on the payroll, for sure. Frankly, I don't care who it is, just so long as it's someone else come this time tomorrow, and preferably, the entire front office that put us in this situation.

Old
11-06-2011, 07:34 PM
solomonsacct

Can a tough guy coach even work in today's game? It's not like the old days where guys gave the coach respect via title. Players regularly quit on coaches in order to get them fired today. We've all seen it.

I just don't see some firey, mid-fifties Canadian tough guy coming in and whipping these guys up. They'll just roll their eyes and tell him where to go.

I think Torts looks like a clown when he tries his shtick, for example.

Old
11-06-2011, 07:38 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

This team wont get another damn dollar of mine until changes have been made.

Old
11-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Yeah as much as we'd love to see these millionaires get the bootcamp treatment, I don't think hiring someone just to yell at them a lot will be productive in the long run. They'll tune him out just like they do everyone.

Old
11-06-2011, 07:40 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

What we need is a coach who will keep playing the youth if they screw up once (hey, that's like deja vu!) and send a message to guys like Vermette, Umberger, etc. by sitting their arses in the press box once in awhile.

No rah-rah (Earn It, Hardcore Hockey) stuff. No old school yelling and screaming all the time (like Keenan). No a--hole remarks to the media (like Torts). Just hit the under-performers where it hurts - ice time. One bullet to the head instead of five to the heart, metaphorically speaking.

Old
11-06-2011, 07:52 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
What we need is a coach who will keep playing the youth if they screw up once (hey, that's like deja vu!) and send a message to guys like Vermette, Umberger, etc. by sitting their arses in the press box once in awhile.

No rah-rah (Earn It, Hardcore Hockey) stuff. No a--hole remarks to the media (like Torts). Just hit the under performers where it hurts - ice time.
Good post. I agree. I feel bad for arniel, as this is the second coach this group of players have quit on. But he was brought in to develop the young players , which he hasn't. I can't believe more hasn't been made about what bass had to say to his team. He must have seen enough since he's a newcomer and not used to this. But in the end it lies at the feet of Nash , and I wish it would have been him instead of his best buddy Aaron Johnson that bass shoved. If your the captain, and you know players aren't doing what the coach wants, it's your job to make it known its not tolerated, go to the gm / coach if necessary and get it resolved. Nash must not have any pride in his team, or his role

Old
11-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
This team wont get another damn dollar of mine until changes have been made.
They do change their clothes every morning.

Old
11-06-2011, 08:11 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clitter on the point View Post
Good post. I agree. I feel bad for arniel, as this is the second coach this group of players have quit on. But he was brought in to develop the young players , which he hasn't. I can't believe more hasn't been made about what bass had to say to his team. He must have seen enough since he's a newcomer and not used to this. But in the end it lies at the feet of Nash , and I wish it would have been him instead of his best buddy Aaron Johnson that bass shoved. If your the captain, and you know players aren't doing what the coach wants, it's your job to make it known its not tolerated, go to the gm / coach if necessary and get it resolved. Nash must not have any pride in his team, or his role
And Howson was brought in because he was a "capologist." And Priest was brought in to watch the CBJ's finances. As the kids say these days, EPIC FAIL all around!

Old
11-06-2011, 08:26 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

No rah-rah (Earn It, Hardcore Hockey) stuff. No old school yelling and screaming all the time (like Keenan). No a--hole remarks to the media (like Torts). Just hit the under-performers where it hurts - ice time. One bullet to the head instead of five to the heart, metaphorically speaking.
Very solid points.

Interesting that Arniel started out this way...remember scratching various veterans and such last year?

What happened to that? *sigh*

Old
11-06-2011, 08:30 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clitter on the point View Post
Second time I've seen this referenced...what did bass say? what exactly happened? I missed the debacle last night beyond just some score updates.

Closed Thread