HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Flyers will make the playoffs this year!

Old
11-19-2013, 03:28 AM
LuigiStone*

vCash: 500
The Flyers will make the playoffs this year!

Who's with me? The Flyers will make the playoffs this year!

And Berube and Holmgren will keep their jobs !

They've already turned it around.

LuigiStone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 03:39 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
They're out of playoff contention at the quarter mark. If I remember correctly, that makes the playoffs a big longshot.

Not impossible, but don't get any hopes up.

11-19-2013, 03:46 AM
flyerfanish

Giroux is with you.

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 04:06 AM
dats81

Really depends on how they play at home. We've seen that they can handle the road now I'd really like to see if they can continue the point streak in their own building.

Even back in the Richards and Carter era they had massive slumps at home where they could not mentally adjust to playing in front of the home crowd and having to dictate the play instead of countering the attacks.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Psuhockey

They don't make the playoffs without a long winning streak to make up for the horrid start; say 7-8 games. Not impossible but the scoring is going to have to pick way up from where it is now.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 05:51 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
They're out of playoff contention at the quarter mark. If I remember correctly, that makes the playoffs a big longshot.

They're 4 points out of a playoff spot with one game in hand. Hardly a big longshot. And definitely not out of playoff contention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
They don't make the playoffs without a long winning streak to make up for the horrid start; say 7-8 games. Not impossible but the scoring is going to have to pick way up from where it is now.
They don't need really to make up for their horrid start (although it'd be nice), because every team in the Metro sans the Pens seemed surprised to see the season starting in October.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:10 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
There still in it in my opinion, if only because the division as a whole is having a down year.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

If we win our game in hand we're 2 points out of a play-off spot. I think we're in contention.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 08:12 AM
flyerfanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
There still in it in my opinion, if only because the division as a whole is having a down year.
It must be the division name!

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Swic21

I don't have high hopes. Die hard fan but I feel the new playoff setup has them screwed out of a playoff spot got this year. You basically can lock Washington and Pittsburgh into the top 2 spots, then the 3rd spot is free for the taking with no shortage of tough teams to deal with. And they will not be awarded a wild card spot with their play.

Swic21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:37 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

It's not impossible but it's gonna be tough with the new setup. They pretty much have to not have any major losing streaks from here on in. They start stringing 3 game winless streaks they are pretty much assured to be out. Moreover, they must play wayyyyy better at home...they have pretty much sucked at home last couple of seasons. Nobody fears the Flyers at the WFC anymore...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Garbage Goal

We'd have to start winning a lot and those in front of us would have to start losing more then us. All of them.

Not out of contention, but it's way too early for any big hopes to come about for me at least.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:23 AM
The Dream
Maximum Overdrive

The Flyers are definitely capable of making the playoffs. I think the Flyers will need a big winning streak in these coming weeks though. The next 7 games are all very winnable. So, if the Flyers want to bring themselves back into contention it is going to start now.

The Flyers play: OTT, BUF, NYI, FLA, TBL, WIN, and NSH. All of these games they can win. But, after these games the Flyers will play: MIN, DET, DAL, OTT, and CHI. Some tough games.

So, if the Flyers want to make the playoffs they need to starting winning now.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Funf

We've been very lucky that the rest of our division has played as poorly as it has. Also, I might be wrong on this one but it seems the majority of games being played are outside the division. I don't know if that's good or bad... When we start playing those divisional games it might prove to be a great opportunity to get back in things, or it might just separate us from the pack even further.

Funf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:25 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I think it is possible for sure. 4 points out, 4-1-2 in last 7, 2 solid goalies, much better coaching now.

To be this close with the first line blowing huge chunks all year is actually quite amazing.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:31 AM
kelmitchell

we had such a horrid start just tank this year get a great pick for the draft here in philly trade some ppl that will retire *cough cough* kimmo for a late first early second and draft a goal scorer or our #1 dman next year come back with a vengeance

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Our offence needs to keep playing how it has been recently... from a defence and Goaltender perspective the Flyers have been good enough to be in the playoff picture.

I know the goaltending has been excellent (especially from Mason) and that has helped the D, but the D has been pretty good in it's own regard, and is at worst average, (13-20 range) at best on the edge of the top 10 in the NHL so far.

Flyers now have:

7th best 5 on 5 D in NHL
7th best EV strength D in NHL
11th best overall D in NHL
15th in Overall SA per game

Mason 5th best 5v5 SV% (10 or more games)

13th best PK %
8th best 4v5 in SA/60
8th best 4v5 in GA/60
5th best 3v5 in SA/60

Mason 7th best SH SV% (10 or more games)

So while these stats are by no means perfect, they would seem to indicate that the D, especially PKing but EV as well has been pretty good in its own regardless of the excellent goaltending behind them, as they are similarly ranked to where Mason is SH, though he has been carrying them slightly at EV strength, though they would probably still be in the 11-15 range without him being so good.

While these stats do not factor in individual games and therefore points, if the numbers continued in a similar pattern regardless of Goalie performance for 82 games similar GA/G could be expected.

If the team SV% was .915 (average) instead of the .918~ it currently is (Ray Emery shorthanded is to blame for it not being higher, .789 SV% SH... ouch) they would have conceded an extra 2 goals so far this season, and be 13th best overall in GA/G instead of 11th.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Flyerfan4life

to early to tell..

the Flyers could stay playing well or could revert to another losing streak.

so im not sure what this season truely holds..

but at least its not the full-tank

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:10 AM
blinds

Well, it's possible. Problem is we've got every reason to fall short. We've gotten lucky so far with the suck that is the Metro division, but Washington and Pitt are starting to pull away, and the way the other division is playing it looks like they'll get both wildcard spots.

That leaves one spot to compete for with Carolina, NYI, NYR, NJD and even CBJ. At this point, I'd say NYI and NYR have the best shot (despite Carolina being ahead), while we're still back with the rest.

If we start playing like 2011-12, we have a great shot at making it. The way we've played since that Pens series though, I think its much more likely that the team continues to underwhelm and fail to live up to its potential.

The last few games have been promising, but not as good as people are making them out. We held on for dear life in the Pit and Wpg games after going up 2-1. They've played better, but the same problems are there. I want to believe the problems are starting to go away, but I feel they'll come back full force for these home games where the pressure will be on for them to control the pace.

We've looked more confident, but I don't think we're out of the woods yet. It's still only 3 games with 3+ goals, and the team continues to look terrified in the 3rd period. I dont think playing at home is going to do anything but exacerbate the issues.

I hope I'm wrong though, I really do. The confidence is starting to reappear.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:33 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Our offence needs to keep playing how it has been recently... from a defence and Goaltender perspective the Flyers have been good enough to be in the playoff picture.

I know the goaltending has been excellent (especially from Mason) and that has helped the D, but the D has been pretty good in it's own regard, and is at worst average, (13-20 range) at best on the edge of the top 10 in the NHL so far.

Flyers now have:

7th best 5 on 5 D in NHL

13th best PK %
8th best 4v5 in SA/60
8th best 4v5 in GA/60
5th best 3v5 in SA/60

So while these stats are by no means perfect, they would seem to indicate that the D, especially PKing but EV as well has been pretty good in its own regardless of the excellent goaltending behind them, as they are similarly ranked to where Mason is SH, though he has been carrying them slightly at EV strength, though they would probably still be in the 11-15 range without him being so good.

While these stats do not factor in individual games and therefore points, if the numbers continued in a similar pattern regardless of Goalie performance for 82 games similar GA/G could be expected.

If the team SV% was .915 (average) instead of the .918~ it currently is (Ray Emery shorthanded is to blame for it not being higher, .789 SV% SH... ouch) they would have conceded an extra 2 goals so far this season, and be 13th best overall in GA/G instead of 11th.

I'd love your analysis of the Norris winner last year against the other players that didn't win.

Love the posts.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post

Flyers now have:

7th best 5 on 5 D in NHL

13th best PK %
8th best 4v5 in SA/60
8th best 4v5 in GA/60
5th best 3v5 in SA/60

You're the best person I've seen use and analyze stats on this site, hands-down.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

I think this team will make the playoffs. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment but oh well.

What else is new?

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I think this team will make the playoffs too. I think Berube is coaching them to have a strong defense and strong goaltending. That being said i dont think our forwards will score nearly as much as they did during the Lavy era.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I think this team will make the playoffs too. I think Berube is coaching them to have a strong defense and strong goaltending. That being said i dont think our forwards will score nearly as much as they did during the Lavy era.
I am certain they will not... (score as much) I imagine they will go from a team who scored 250-260 over a 82 game to 220-230 when up to speed. (~3.1 GPG to 2.8 GPG, just a hunch/if they are a playoff/cusp team that could be reasonably expected.)

That would be fine if the D and goalie play close to how well they have so far.

It should not really affect forwards too much if that is the case, though you would see the change reflected... G would probably lose around 8 points a year (so he would be around 75-85) and everyone else maybe 4-5 (in top 6). That depends on the PP% getting back to normal though due to the % of goals scored on the PP in the NHL.

Old
11-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Appleyard

Two points out of the playoff spot with a game in hand... crazy.