HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Leafs Biggest Rivalry

Old
03-14-2012, 06:34 PM
TheAngryHank
Expert

vCash: 500
The 8 seed , they can never seem to get over that hump.

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:35 PM
PresidentCamacho*

I haven't felt even a bit of rivalry with another team in years, as a Leafs fan.

I suppose if I had to pick, it might be Ottawa, where the rivalry shifted from hockey to boxing with the Orr/Carkner bouts. Right now, I suppose we have a bit of a rivalry with the Habs in who can pick the highest in the draft which is a sad fact, but it does mean something to myself.

The Leafs don't have a rival in terms of winning hockey games.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Kibb

Toronto
Buffalo

Montreal

Boston

Kibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
Not a Leafs fan, but right now I think the Leafs hate the Bruins more than anybody. I would love for the Leafs vs Habs rivalry to be reborn though.
I hate the Bruins simply because they're better than us. In every facet of the game. And they could easily beat us up too if they decided to goon it up. Which is just icing on the cake. I enjoy watching the Leafs play the Habs or the Senators. I dread the Leafs playing Boston.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:51 PM
oilforone

I think the leafs are much like my Oilers. When you suck it is pretty hard to have a rivalry and they have generally sucked for even longer than the Oilers.

oilforone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:56 PM
superrich

Leaf's biggest rival is first round picks. They always get rid of them.

superrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
That's debateable...During the 06 and 07 playoffs, I learned to have a healthy hatred of the Sabres and I'm sure their fans felt the same way.

Rivalries are born from playoff hatred.

As for Ottawa hating Boston. Simply not true. In fact, I think Sens and Bruins fans probably get along the best because of our mutual hatred of Toronto and Montreal. I spend a lot of time in Boston and when I'm donning Sens gear, most Bruins fans come up to me to chat about hockey. My friend who wears a Habs hat gets booed and yelled at.

I don't know too many Sens fans who hate the Bruins as vociferously as they do the Leafs and Habs. It's hard for us to hate them because they have Chara and Kelly and Chiarelli too.
Agreed, I like the Sens.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BernierNo1Fan

I hate the Habs more than the Sens.

BernierNo1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:06 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSLOCK REBEL View Post
You apologize as if we thought that. Different conferences + The Leafs haven't won since 2003 or something.

We just don't like you, there's a difference. The last time our teams played I believe the Leafs board went through 3 GDTs complaining about the Canucks so I believe the dislike is mutual.
It's obvious you guys don't like us. It's obvious from the fans and the media alike. It amazes me how much Canuck fans and media speak about the Leafs. And yet in Toronto, outside of the playoff run a year ago, nobody cares about the Canucks. Although we do think the diving, complaining brand of hockey sucks to watch. But otherwise you guys are unimportant to us. (Well, other than having Daniel and Hendric in my pool.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:25 PM
oilforone

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
It's obvious you guys don't like us. It's obvious from the fans and the media alike. It amazes me how much Canuck fans and media speak about the Leafs. And yet in Toronto, outside of the playoff run a year ago, nobody cares about the Canucks. Although we do think the diving, complaining brand of hockey sucks to watch. But otherwise you guys are unimportant to us. (Well, other than having Daniel and Hendric in my pool.
And it is that reason why the rest of Canada has little empathy for TO. We have to hear about you in the media so much it is annoying.

oilforone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Most likely the Habs, its very cultural rivalry, more of Montreal vs Toronto thing, but I think the Leafs have/had a very good one with Detroit.
I tried arguing for Detroit as the only major rivalry left for the Leafs, invoking the fact that, even if they only play Detroit once a year (as opposed to playing Ottawa, Montreal and Boston 6 times a year apiece) Detroit yields the (much?) better games.

And, since Toronto didn't make the playoffs for so long, Montreal and Ottawa are now off-ice rivals with nothing to show for it on the ice.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:39 PM
HarrisonFord
Lost a bet

Leafs biggest rival is clearly themselves.

I hate Ottawa much more than Montreal.
Players I hate on Ottawa:
Foligno
Spezza
Neil
Phillips
Ronald McDonald

Second most hated is easily Boston for me. But that has nothing to do with the players (except Matt Cooke 2.0, who I despise), and more to do with the fact that a couple family members love Boston and hate the Leafs.

Third most hated would be Montreal though. However, even though we've tanked this year, we're still better than they are up and down their roster (except for Price).

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:23 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilforone View Post
And it is that reason why the rest of Canada has little empathy for TO. We have to hear about you in the media so much it is annoying.
If the Vancouver media didn't want to hear about Toronto, they should stop talking about Toronto.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:26 PM
playasRus

The Habs. They're even outhustling you guys at tanking right now

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:30 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

has to be montreal. ottawa is irrelevant here.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote