HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zibanejad new number one in Ottawa Senators top-20

Old
03-15-2012, 12:36 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerFutureSniper View Post
Prince needs to be higher! After that I pretty much agree with everything and maybe JOB too since he is with the big club after all. Very exciting top 10. After this years draft with Bishop added we could pass Florida for #1 spot amongst prospects.
Not with those grades...

Our 5th, 6th and 7th best prospects (according to HF) have a 6.5C rating, that's awful

Our ranking will go down, our writer is very conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Yet our prospects are winning MVP's, playing as Canada's best players, top 5 in OHL scoring etc...
If we were the Rangers or Leafs (well at least a few years ago), we'd have a heavy bunch of 8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
Michael Sdao 5.5D
Yeah, they clearly follow prospects closely.
Yup, that's laughable

What bugs me is that someone who doesn't follow our prospects closely can't get a real idea about them by visiting that HF page

Andre Petersson 7.0D
Wacey Hamilton 7.0D

Something doesn't work here

Stefan Noesen 7.0C
Mark Stone 6.5C

Extremely low and conservative, both could easily be 7.5C

Jakob Silfverberg 7.0C

Bah, enough said.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:08 AM
Smitty26

Quote:
Michael Sdao 5.5D
Yeah, they clearly follow prospects closely.
yea, Sdao's is way off. Dude had a killer season

Smitty26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:49 AM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty26 View Post
yea, Sdao's is way off. Dude had a killer season
maybe a 6.0 C?

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:22 AM
The Fuhr*

People overreact so much to rankings lol
They are free... If you want better pay for McKeens

Acting all insulted that the prospect is not ranked high... Big deal... If the player is good he will become a player regardless of how he's ranked.

Just seems so silly to complain

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:11 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
I wont comment on their grade but it's gotta feel good when #3 on the prospect list is the best player in the SEL :O

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:23 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post

Acting all insulted that the prospect is not ranked high... Big deal... If the player is good he will become a player regardless of how he's ranked.

This.

Think about what you are paying for for these rankings. Nothing.

So you are basically getting close to nothing. A dude behind a keyboard that may be making worse guesses then some of you are. Certainly isn't watching prospects from around the world on streams, let alone actually seeing them play live.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post

Think about what you are paying for for these rankings. Nothing.

So you are basically getting close to nothing.
That's a fallacy. The advertising model is a lot more powerful than you give it credit. Gigantic corporations that employ engineers by the hundreds depend on it (Google, Facebook, etc.) Subscription fees are not the only way to deliver a quality product.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 06:41 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post

Pretty much this.

As a free service, it still gives a pretty good idea of each prospect, especially if you're the kind of person interested in other team's prospects.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
That's a fallacy. The advertising model is a lot more powerful than you give it credit. Gigantic corporations that employ engineers by the hundreds depend on it (Google, Facebook, etc.) Subscription fees are not the only way to deliver a quality product.
Agreed, but I think for it to work well you need mass clients, not niche clients.

I think HF will have a difficult time getting the ad revenue to pay for creating a quality product for any teams not named Toronto...

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Cowen Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post

If we were the Rangers or Leafs (well at least a few years ago), we'd have a heavy bunch of 8's
Makes it sweeter when their high falutin prospects wash out and our guys come "out of nowhere".

I like the descriptions. Attaching rankings for all but the best is a roll of the dice.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:53 AM
HSF

what is wrong with Silfverberg's ranking?

even our scouting staff think he can be a 3rd liner and maybe a 2nd liner if he is a bit quicker....

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:03 AM
operasen

Couldn't care about the numbers, but like to study the rank order. And it is so strong.

Shouldn't Bishop be on there now?

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:49 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
what is wrong with Silfverberg's ranking?

even our scouting staff think he can be a 3rd liner and maybe a 2nd liner if he is a bit quicker....
Me myself would say it's wrong to have Zibanejad over Silfverberg or even some of the other guys, but that's what draft position and game-winner in the WJC will do for you, I guess.

And yes, I know they're at different stages in their careers.

That being said, the depth of this prospect pool up front - ridiculous.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:54 AM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Me myself would say it's wrong to have Zibanejad over Silfverberg or even some of the other guys, but that's what draft position and game-winner in the WJC will do for you, I guess.

And yes, I know they're at different stages in their careers.

That being said, the depth of this prospect pool up front - ridiculous.
ye HF generally ranks on "potential" and not so much where these guys are in their career. If you are close to being an nhl player or have proven you can play int he nhl they generally give you a "B" or "A"

I agree that Silfverberg is much closer to being an nhl player than Zibby but i think Zibby has a high ceiling

Old
03-15-2012, 09:25 AM
sg58

Quote:
ye HF generally ranks on "potential" and not so much where these guys are in their career. If you are close to being an nhl player or have proven you can play int he nhl they generally give you a "B" or "A"

I agree that Silfverberg is much closer to being an nhl player than Zibby but i think Zibby has a high ceiling
I guess my point didn't get across.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:33 AM
starling

Quote:
Yet, Mikael Granlund is 8.0B despite being 5.10 and never playing a game in NA.
Every writer has his own ideas about these rankings, so they are skewed big time.

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:35 AM
HSF

Quote:
Yet, Mikael Granlund is 8.0B despite being 5.10 and never playing a game in NA.
Every writer has his own ideas about these rankings, so they are skewed big time.
granlund has been a top prospect for sometime now. Silfverberg won't get recog unless he had multiple good season

Old
03-15-2012, 09:55 AM
starling

Henkelman gave 8.0B to Rundblad past summer so I guess he decided to be more conservative this time

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Canuckman44

I always ask....
1). Have they actually seen them play in multiple games(5-10) before a judgement is made.
2). How much bias is there from other postings /writeups/ previous hf rankings.
The B-sens fans should be able to get a better perception of the rankings for those who play in Bingo unless the scouts are posting and I find that highly unlikely.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:21 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

I don't really care too much about the rankings or projections. It's the little blurbs that I like to read and hopefully they're not too far off.

But wow, there is a lot to be excited about with the players Ottawa has on the way and currently on the roster. A lot of very skilled youth.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:15 PM
operasen

I think most of us would take this group of prospects over any other groups at this time. We are stacked on the wings and in net; good down the middle and have a couple on nice D. D is where we will bulk up in the draft, by UFA or trade this off-seaon.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Germz
4th liners ftw

Zibanejad is our top prospect no question. He will be in the NHL soon and he has the highest ceiling. He is also somewhat unlikely to reach that ceiling and could end up as a Fisher type, or a winger equivalent of Fisher.

To be clear: this isn't meant as an insult - yes, Fisher was a 2nd rounder but if you look back at selections at 6th overall over the last decade, a Fisher-type player at 6th would have been pretty decent value. Hell, the 6th overall pick in Fisher's draft year was Rico Fata. More recent 6th overall picks have included Brassard, Filatov, Gagner, Upshall, Montoya, Brule, Ekman-Larsson, Brett Connolly. The higher-end guys were Michalek and Mikko Koivu. Players picked at that position tend to be virtual locks for the NHL and who have a high ceiling, but who fell out of the top five because of question marks for reaching that ceiling.

My guess is we'll see Zibanejad as an NHL regular soon, but we'll need to be very patient with his higher-end offensive potential. It makes me glad that we have Turris, a slightly older young talent (and former blue-chipper) holding down the #2C spot for now. It's also nice to have a guy like Silfverberg walking onto our top 6 or top 9 next season, and to hope that Regin can come back healthy and strong. We have enough young or youngish players to rotate in and out of top-6 roles that we won't have to put our top prospect under a microscope and hope he produces. It's also reassuring to hope that Alfredsson will return for another year, not only as a top-6 offensive forward but also as a veteran Swedish influence for our incoming talent.

All this being said, it would be nice to have one of these Swedish kids, or Turris or someone else develop into an elite forward rather than a 'nice-to-have', because Alfie's impending retirement will leave a big hole. Unless Murray scores some kind of UFA miracle.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Lol @ daug being so far down

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:19 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
I wonder if Turris would be able to switch to wing in a couple years. I thought coyote fans said he played a little wing

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:41 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Hard to please everyone with rankings, they are just one guy's opinion on the player's potential in his opinion, no more or less than our opinion really. I think Hoffman has more potential for example than the writer & most here give him credit for, afterall he leads Bingo in scoring including 17 goals the same as Petersson who everyone loves. I would place Hoffman in Petersson's spot & move Petersson down a few.

I did like seeing Grant & Gryba ranked higher & DD finally making it into the top 20. Kinda funny how Filatov just keep dropping, unbelievable how this guy's potential is slowly becoming irrelevant. Boroweicki IMO is too high as well although he might be our best defensive prospect. I expect there will be about 10 players not on this list by this time next season.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote