HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zibanejad new number one in Ottawa Senators top-20

Old
03-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Pilgore88

vCash: 500
I don't understand why they have to have different people writing these, it just does not make much sense. I know these really mean nothing, it just irks me the wrong way when looking at other teams prospects who are clearly inferior to some of ours get better ratings. And wouldn't Wiercoich, with his 7.0 C be a higher rated prospect then Borowiecki with a 6.5 C?

I mean, look at the leafs ratings, half their prospects are 7.0 C's. and Blacker a 7.5?
Brad Ross, their 9th rated prospect with a higher ranking then Stone? If they are not going to correctly do something why bother? I know it's a free resource but still.

Actually, Blacker is worthy of a 7.5 ranking, it is just the different rating scales that are the problem.

Last edited by Pilgore88: 03-15-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 06:13 PM
starling

Leafs 20th prospect is 7.5D (as is Puempel). Wow what an insane prospect pool they have

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 06:20 PM
alfstheman

How is Brad Peltz not last in the list? Or on the list at all...

Has he ever even played a game for anyone?

Whats his deal?

alfstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Lol following that for prospects is about as accurate as following Eklund for trades...

That said.. well yeah, Zibby is obviously our best spec.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:46 AM
starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfstheman View Post
How is Brad Peltz not last in the list? Or on the list at all...

Has he ever even played a game for anyone?

Whats his deal?
Peltz is one of "Other notables". I don't see him being notable at all though.

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Curious - does Klinkhammer not qualify due to age considerations? Seems like a useful depth guy to have, poor man's power forward.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

Isn't Peltz father friend with Melnyk or something like that?

The Turret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbe View Post
Isn't Peltz father friend with Melnyk or something like that?
He's a very rich man, whose influence stretches to the far regions of the world...

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
People overreact so much to rankings lol
They are free... If you want better pay for McKeens

Acting all insulted that the prospect is not ranked high... Big deal... If the player is good he will become a player regardless of how he's ranked.

Just seems so silly to complain
Agreed. The order of the prospects look pretty good, that is what I looked at.

I think there are so many potential gems that got drafted late due to size, injuries or skating ability. Hoffman, Pageau, Petersson could all be star scorers at some point or not pan out at all. It is so early and they have so much potential. Heck you could add Stone and Da Costa to that, plus Butler who is already in the NHL. You could even throw Puempel and Prince in there. I like the strategy of drafting talented guys with some question marks and seeing if they develop. Better than drafting for size. Talent rules. One or two of these guys will likely pan out into a star or semi-star player. Bingo should look good next year and better the year after.

Noessen, Silvferberg and Zibanejad will almost certainly be good NHL players, at very least quality 3rd liners. After that we have a bunch of depth young forwards already on the roster and a great deal of boom or bust potential stars.

I wish we had a couple more defence prospects to go with the forwards, I think Murray will address defence almost exclusively in the off season.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:23 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

There is no sense in arguing the grades. Their useless anyways.

The writeups that thet the author used was very solid...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Ishdul

The ratings are absurdly conservative and therefore useless.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishdul View Post
The ratings are absurdly conservative and therefore useless.
Conservative ratings aren't useless, so long as they are consistently so, and you know that they are conservative.

If you want to compare our prospects to one another with these ratings, they are fine (as far as being conservative goes, I have issues with other aspects of them though). The problem arises if you want to compare them to another teams prospects, where you would have to adjust based on the relative conservatism of each teams ratings...

They're free though, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Tomas W

The way Silfverberg is playing right now, he must be considered your top prospect.

But of course Z-bad is younger.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Don Draper

Essentially if the letter grade is to be taken seriously, our 5-15th prospects are all equal.

Don Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 02:31 PM
sg58

Very surprised to see that so many has Zibanejad as the best prospect, really.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:01 PM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-04-2012 at 01:23 PM.
True Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:21 PM
sanityplease

So,

Silfverberg=Brad Ross
Stone=Josh Nicholls & Jerry D'Amigo
Noesen=Greg Mckegg, even though Noesen's a year younger & grittier & higher scoring

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:06 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail2012 View Post
I saw your Twitter post.

Do you care to share what your thoughts are on him?
- What happened? Does he feel entitiled now?
- Has he been working hard in practices/games?
- Do you have any reason to believe that this is something that can/won't be corrected?
- What do you project for him for the 2012-13 season? And also 3 after his ELC is over? I realize these would just be your projections.

Thanks, your opinion is well-respected with me.
Well, thank you.

I don't watch him in practice, so couldn't tell you anything about that. It should also be noted that some of the dis(credit) can be directed Djurgården's way. Their veteran players, the coaching changes, the terrible year, the pressure of playing for what should've been a contender now going into relegation rounds.. Yeah, it's not been an easy ride for him.

What's bothering me about Zibanejad this year, though, is that in his draft year, whether it was in juniors or with the big club during his terrific last few months when he climbed the rankings, he was always the hardest working player on the ice. He was running over guys, winning board battles, etcetera.

This year, there are games every once in a while when he does, but also lots of games where he doesn't. There are also some tendencies for more complaning about teammates, with looks and body language but that may be more of the process of becoming more comfortable with the team and being a key player on the team than anything.

Ziba was drafted as a terrific character guy, everything you'd want, really, but he'll need to bring his game more often.

I'm not worried he's not gonna compete hard once he comes over, but when he gets comfortable here, whenever that is, I hope he's matured enough to realize he can't take shifts, games, off. That's about it.

(Fredrik Claesson had a terrific game, by the way. Wanted to say something positive.)

Old
03-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Minister of Offence

steffeG, I know you aren't in the room but you'd have a better take on it than most here would.

Is the togetherness of the team/atmosphere in the room/etc that much worse this year vs last year?

I made the point in the other thread, motivation and energy isn't always a conscious thing. We saw it last year, coaching turmoil, lack of togetherness can destroy the heart a team plays with.

I think there's several players playing their ***** off for coach MacLean this year that wouldn't have under Cory Clouston..and it may not have been because they would choose not to.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:17 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
steffeG, I know you aren't in the room but you'd have a better take on it than most here would.

Is the togetherness of the team/atmosphere in the room/etc that much worse this year vs last year?

I made the point in the other thread, motivation and energy isn't always a conscious thing. We saw it last year, coaching turmoil, lack of togetherness can destroy the heart a team plays with.

I think there's several players playing their ***** off for coach MacLean this year that wouldn't have under Cory Clouston..and it may not have been because they would choose not to.
Yeah, I don't think it's a big secret that the room isn't the best, which is kind of surprising giving how many "good guys" there are on the team, and local boys with passion for DIF. Also, lots of the same guys who played for them in the finals the other year. Losing always have that effect, I guess.

But sure, there are lots of factors that "helps" Mika in this case, it isn't all him, hopefully. But then again, at some point, you gotta look at him.

Old
03-18-2012, 09:48 AM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-04-2012 at 01:23 PM.
True Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:08 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail2012 View Post
to lay into all the current Spezza bashers, you know, all the posters that don't understand the game and have never played it before, that think he should be playing his best...EVEN THOUGH HIS BEST FRIEND JUST DIED, and he has a baby due any second.
Hey, I totally get the Spezza sentiment here, obviously the guy deserves some slack, I'm with you on that one... but if all you're going to do is accuse people of not knowing anything because they've never "played the game before", why even bother posting here? Here's a hint: none of us have ever played at a level even close to approaching that which they play at in the NHL. It's not like Andreas Dackell secretly posts here under the pseudonym "GK" or anything.

I'm sure there's a board full of ex CJHL players who enjoy tearing apart "common" fans because they "don't know what it's like, man!". Until you find that board however, please refrain from thinking that the fact that you're the best player at your local pick-up game gives you any authority around here whatsoever.

You're just a guy. I'm just a guy. Deal with it. Your attitude is shockingly toxic at times.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Hey, I totally get the Spezza sentiment here, obviously the guy deserves some slack, I'm with you on that one... but if all you're going to do is accuse people of not knowing anything because they've never "played the game before", why even bother posting here? Here's a hint: none of us have ever played at a level even close to approaching that which they play at in the NHL. It's not like Andreas Dackell secretly posts here under the pseudonym "GK" or anything.

I'm sure there's a board full of ex CJHL players who enjoy tearing apart "common" fans because they "don't know what it's like, man!". Until you find that board however, please refrain from thinking that the fact that you're the best player at your local pick-up game gives you any authority around here whatsoever.

You're just a guy. I'm just a guy. Deal with it. Your attitude is shockingly toxic at times.
Why would you "out" Andy like that?

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:26 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Why would you "out" Andy like that?
Whoop, my bad! Sorry Andre... I mean "GK".

Hopefully I can remember not to mention the fact that "aragorn" is really Krzysztof Oliwa...

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote