HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scoring Winger Prospects: What Kings' winger prospect do you value most?

View Poll Results: Who is the most valuable scoring winger prospect to you?
Tyler Toffoli 42 85.71%
Maxim Kitsyn 4 8.16%
Someone Else 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Stats show that Kozun and Holloway are equal, while Vey is a full year ahead of the pace Holloway set. Czarnik is another current Monarch who could be ahead of Holloway that way as well, as in his first year he's on pace for 47 points as well.
The regular season stats are similar for Holloway's 2009-10 season and Kozun's 2011-12 season but the key differences are:

1. Holloway has 4-5 inches on Kozun. Generally speaking, the bigger a player is, the better he will be able to translate his game to the next level.
2. Holloway has been a playoff beast. 14 points in 7 ECHL games in 2008-09, 14 points in 16 games in 2009-10 tieing an AHL record with 6 GWG, 11 points in 7 games in 2010-11, and now 6 points in 4 SEL playoff games.
3. Holloway has shown good progression every season, and that's not something you can just count on for every prospect (see Kozun this year). Great progression this season. Prior to the season, I was thinking a good year of progression (assuming good health) for Holloway and Moller would be in the mid to upper 30s point range (Holloway beat that by a good margin with 49 points; Moller had 31 points).

Right now, I'm just hoping Holloway doesn't become the next Matt Moulson (for another team, anyway).

BTW, Czarnik wouldn't be "ahead" of Holloway as Czarnik started pro hockey a year later than Holloway (Czarnik played his overage season in juniors; Holloway did not).

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:57 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Anyone have an idea on how long the Kings hold the rights to Holloway?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Anyone have an idea on how long the Kings hold the rights to Holloway?
1 more season. Could become a group VI UFA in the 2013 offseason if he doesn't play 80 NHL games next season (both regular season and playoff games count towards the 80 games). Hence the fear of him becoming the next Matt Moulson for another team.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:19 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
The regular season stats are similar for Holloway's 2009-10 season and Kozun's 2011-12 season but the key differences are:

1. Holloway has 4-5 inches on Kozun. Generally speaking, the bigger a player is, the better he will be able to translate his game to the next level.
2. Holloway has been a playoff beast. 14 points in 7 ECHL games in 2008-09, 14 points in 16 games in 2009-10 tieing an AHL record with 6 GWG, 11 points in 7 games in 2010-11, and now 6 points in 4 SEL playoff games.
3. Holloway has shown good progression every season, and that's not something you can just count on for every prospect (see Kozun this year). Great progression this season. Prior to the season, I was thinking a good year of progression (assuming good health) for Holloway and Moller would be in the mid to upper 30s point range (Holloway beat that by a good margin with 49 points; Moller had 31 points).

Right now, I'm just hoping Holloway doesn't become the next Matt Moulson (for another team, anyway).

BTW, Czarnik wouldn't be "ahead" of Holloway as Czarnik started pro hockey a year later than Holloway (Czarnik played his overage season in juniors; Holloway did not).
Good points, but I don't agree in all cases.

On the issue of size you have a point, and I agree with that. My main argument was with lafan, who was simply basing his argument on stats to which I showed it's not so simple.

For playoff points, I agree, that's great but not really important in viewing who is a greater scoring prospect. As much importance as we place on the playoffs, it's the regular day in, day out effort that's gets you to the NHL. No NHL team is going to call up Holloway as a regular if his regular season effort and production don't warrant it simply because they are waiting for him to explode in the playoffs.

Btw, Holloway's playoffs as a pro have been good, but in junior they were sub-par to brutal production wise.

Progression, I'll wait to see him in camp, if he comes back for it. I haven't seen him play in the SEL.

Fair point on Czarnik, though the argument could be flipped around that Czarnik only had three years of Junior A level or higher compitition (college and OHL) while Holloway had four full seasons (and 125 more games, which is essentially two full seasons) in the WHL. Development wise, Holloway had more time at a higher level prior to joining the pro ranks thn Czarnik.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote