HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quick Fun Fact: Young teams can Win

Old
03-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Face Wash

vCash: 500
Quick Fun Fact: Young teams can Win

Dean Lombardi loves to say words to the affect of... "Hey, we're still a young team we still have a lot to learn about winning and playing down the stretch with pressure." He's not wrong Kings are fairly young. The Kings average age and experience of the players who have played at least half the season for this team is listed below.

LAK (76 points)
Exp: 5.57 years

But a quick look at the top two teams in hockey (STL & NYR) show it's foolish to think a young team can't win/dominate.

STL (97 points)
Exp: 5.54 years

NYR (93 points)
Exp: 4.65 years

Kinda sick of DL's "age and experience: excuses. This team should be winning.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Another fun fact:

The St Louis Blues are the #1 team in the NHL with a 20th ranked offense and the first ranked defense. Imagine where the Kings would be with 30 more goals this season. It will be interesting to see how they do in the playoffs.

And I agree with your premise. I think this season HAS to be an anomaly. At least I hope so!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

You mean Kopitar, Brown, Doughty and Johnson aren't kids?

As has been mentioned on here numerous times, the Kings average age is low largely because of players who don't exactly play large roles. Lewis, Clifford, Hunter, King (has been great though), Bernier. Really the only guys on the Kings who would be considered "kids" playing large roles are Doughty and Voynov. And Doughty is in his 4th season with an Olympic Gold Medal. The core of this team is for the most part in their prime years.

And I am not sold on St. Louis either. I would rather finish 8th and play St. Louis than finish 7th and play Vancouver or 5th and play Detroit.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Another fun fact:

The St Louis Blues are the #1 team in the NHL with a 20th ranked offense and the first ranked defense. Imagine where the Kings would be with 30 more goals this season. It will be interesting to see how they do in the playoffs.

And I agree with your premise. I think this season HAS to be an anomaly. At least I hope so!
I would guess that 30 more goals would = 7 to 10 more wins and comfortably in a playoff spot and me living a much more stress-free life.

Likely 1st in Pacific which = home ice in POs.

(when will this be my reality? Do it Deano!)

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
(when will this be my reality? Do it Deano!)
JULY 1st

LOMBARDI: We did have some interest in Parise, but in the end we didn't feel like we could commit that much of our cap space to Zach and at the same time sign all our kids going forward, it just wasn't the right fit. This is a talented and growing group of guys, and we feel the addition of Blair Betts really adds to that.

Old
03-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
JULY 1st

LOMBARDI: We did have some interest in Parise, but in the end we didn't feel like we could commit that much of our cap space to Zach and at the same time sign all our kids going forward, it just wasn't the right fit. This is a talented and growing group of guys, and we feel the addition of Blair Betts really adds to that.
How much would you over pay for Zach? Would you go to a $8.5+ million cap hit to get him away from the East coast?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:55 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
How much would you over pay for Zach? Would you go to a $8.5+ million cap hit to get him away from the East coast?
this is likely the last time a team will be able to do a cheater contract... I can't see him not getting a deal that takes him to 40 a la Richards, Hossa, etc... for a cap hit in the 6-7 range...

sweatypickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
I was more or less making a joke. I have yet to hear a single valid reason that Zach Parise would sign with the Kings, even if they opened up the vault for him.

- He has never lived west of North Dakota.
- The Kings play an awful defensive oriented system.
- The Kings are not a sexy franchise. Have never won a Cup.
- LA is a terrible hockey market.
- No connections to anyone in management or coaching. Played with Greene at UND, that is all I can come up with.

But to answer your question. No I don't think the Kings can safely commit the kind of money Parise is going to get. Since this time last year the Kings have committed over $100 million dollars in cap space to Richards and Carter. And if Richards doesn't return to his level of play from a couple of years ago we may need to add someone else in that 5 mill range. I don't think we could do an 8 year 64 mill deal for Parise.

We have hitched our wagon to Richards and Carter for the next 7-10 years. We'll see what happens.

Old
03-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
this is likely the last time a team will be able to do a cheater contract... I can't see him not getting a deal that takes him to 40 a la Richards, Hossa, etc... for a cap hit in the 6-7 range...
For an East coast team, sure, but to get him to LA is going to cost a lot more money. Dean would have to offer $1+ million more per season to get him in LA.

How high would you go?

Old
03-13-2012, 07:04 PM
CNS
A World Alone

The part the OP is forgetting is that Hitch is great before his shelf life ends and Torts is one of the best coaches in the NHL.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:38 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
For an East coast team, sure, but to get him to LA is going to cost a lot more money. Dean would have to offer $1+ million more per season to get him in LA.
the East coast teams don't get a discount either.. the Kings' caused the Rangers to up their offer (though they didn't get quite as high as Calgary)...

a 90 million/13 year deal would still not hit 7 per regarding the cap hit...

sweatypickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

The Kings are still a young team and can grow.

Rome wan't built in a day.

Old
03-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
The Kings are still a young team and can grow.

Rome wan't built in a day.
Was it built in less than 44 years?

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Shellz

He's hardly making excuses. This time is do or die and it's very important the team learns from times like these. They aren't excuses, it's the truth.

The Blues are play very well, but before that they went a couple seasons without even making the playoffs and what happens if they lose in the first round? They aren't a very good example.

If anything, it shows you can still be a good team with playing a number one defense and a not so good offense. The players just have to buy into it.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:30 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
I was more or less making a joke. I have yet to hear a single valid reason that Zach Parise would sign with the Kings, even if they opened up the vault for him.

- He has never lived west of North Dakota.
- The Kings play an awful defensive oriented system.
- The Kings are not a sexy franchise. Have never won a Cup.
- LA is a terrible hockey market.
- No connections to anyone in management or coaching. Played with Greene at UND, that is all I can come up with.

But to answer your question. No I don't think the Kings can safely commit the kind of money Parise is going to get. Since this time last year the Kings have committed over $100 million dollars in cap space to Richards and Carter. And if Richards doesn't return to his level of play from a couple of years ago we may need to add someone else in that 5 mill range. I don't think we could do an 8 year 64 mill deal for Parise.

We have hitched our wagon to Richards and Carter for the next 7-10 years. We'll see what happens.
Played with Brown and Quick at the Olympics.

Don't see why never having lived west of North Dakota has to do with anything.

Toronto has won a cup, in 1967, are they a sexy franchise because of that?

Parise is a pretty decent two way player, he's not just one dimensional on offense as well.

Am I saying he'll sign in LA? No, we won't know until at least July 1st, but I certainly think it's possible.

SCARFACE909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Blues and Rangers haven't won jack yet. But the Hawks and Pens won with nearly all of their most of their top players being very young, same rookie classes as a lot of the Kings. They both had young multiple players who were picks that were very high.

Now we have other players who are very good also from those same classes as Kane, Toews, Malkin, Crosby, Keith, Letang, etc....05-06 to 07-08. Richards and Carter (05-06) added to Kopitar (06-07), maybe we can do this now too.

- R

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
And I am not sold on St. Louis either. I would rather finish 8th and play St. Louis than finish 7th and play Vancouver or 5th and play Detroit.
I'm not either but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I've brought it up in the past to tomd but I don't believe for a second that the St. Louis blues have a better line up than the Kings. They got a coach who is getting the most out of his players. A coach who coincidentally has had his teams play a defensive style. That is where he and I disagree the most. He thinks the players suck along with everything else with the oganization. I feel like the Kings could use some upgrades on the bottom 6 and an improvement at left wing but other than that, they should be a top 5 team in the conference and competing for the Cup. DL's biggest failures have been his coaching hires.

I still would like to have somebody ask him a question at one of those breakfasts (do they even do those anymore?) his opinion on the Kings needing a top 10 offense to win a Cup. Just point to every Cup winner since the lockout and their ranking in GF and GA the year they won the cup and what his feelings are on that issue. I'd really like to hear what his response to that is.

Old
03-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
He's hardly making excuses. This time is do or die and it's very important the team learns from times like these. They aren't excuses, it's the truth.

The Blues are play very well, but before that they went a couple seasons without even making the playoffs and what happens if they lose in the first round? They aren't a very good example.

If anything, it shows you can still be a good team with playing a number one defense and a not so good offense. The players just have to buy into it.
The Blues have made the playoffs once since the lockout. I'm really curious to see how they perform in the playoffs because although they 20th in goal scoring, no team has won the Cup since the lockout without being in the top 10 in goal scoring. The Ducks were the only team that won it who were not in the top 10.

Old
03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
The Blues have made the playoffs once since the lockout. I'm really curious to see how they perform in the playoffs because although they 20th in goal scoring, no team has won the Cup since the lockout without being in the top 10 in goal scoring. The Ducks were the only team that won it who were not in the top 10.
The Ducks were 8th the year they won the cup.

With our luck St. Louis will win the cup this season and Dean will want to be even more defensive.