HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tavares finishes with 81 points

Old
03-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Bauer Warrior*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Tavares is 10 points away from 200 in his career. If that's not ridiculous I don't know what is.
It's about 66.3 points a season. Very good, but not ridiculous.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:10 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI94wasaFLUKE9 View Post
I think he means Tavares always goes up to a ref and says look I didn't touch that puck that's moulsons goal or whoever. Hes done that like 3-4 times in his career.
This....Read in the paper today that Tavares went to the official scorers and told them he did not touch the puck. This is awsome imo....Moulson was 1 away from 30 and Tavares was almost at his first 30 goal season and he makes it his buisness to get his teamate to 30, when the replay clearly shows the puck hit JT and changed direction..This is why I love Tavares, hes a special player and the leader of our team.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:32 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
To wind up with 82 points and a average a point a game for a whole season. Do you guys think he can do it ? He's been on one of his hot streaks 4-2-6 over his last 3 games, can he keep up this pace or something similar over the next 12 games ?

I never wanna doubt what JT can do, BUT, he has some really difficult games left against teams fighting for playoff position, or even just to make the playoffs. And those teams pretty much know, shut down Tavares, and you shut down the Isles.

Two part question, do you think he will do it, AND, does it really matter ? Does averaging a point a game put you in the "elite" class of the NHL ?
whether he can do it or not, that doesnt decide wether he is elite in my mind. Stats do say a lot, but not nearly as much as you are apparently reading into them. Thats what happens when you want to spend additional time pondering hockey. Its what the media want. But its not important.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:35 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
This....Read in the paper today that Tavares went to the official scorers and told them he did not touch the puck. This is awsome imo....Moulson was 1 away from 30 and Tavares was almost at his first 30 goal season and he makes it his buisness to get his teamate to 30, when the replay clearly shows the puck hit JT and changed direction..This is why I love Tavares, hes a special player and the leader of our team.
why would the officials care what tavares says? Would be ridiculous if they didnt decide based on video footage.

Old
03-15-2012, 05:32 PM
HC Bienne
@llopesso19

hope johnny do god today. why still parenteau playing in he's line?

HC Bienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:52 PM
jmg27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
why would the officials care what tavares says? Would be ridiculous if they didnt decide based on video footage.
This!!! After see the replay again before tonights game, it is obvious it went off Tavares and was deflected and then of course ended up in the net. Do the official score keepers just ignore the video and go off what the player says? He prob didnt even know it hit him. I dont care about who really the goal goes to, just curious as to why the officials can change it b/c of what a player says rather then what is obvious in the video.

jmg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:01 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg27 View Post
This!!! After see the replay again before tonights game, it is obvious it went off Tavares and was deflected and then of course ended up in the net. Do the official score keepers just ignore the video and go off what the player says? He prob didnt even know it hit him. I dont care about who really the goal goes to, just curious as to why the officials can change it b/c of what a player says rather then what is obvious in the video.
This really doesn't matter, it's Tavares' character shining through that matters. The way he conducts himself, the way he treats his teammates, he is obviously the next captain. Tavares really is a throw back the the 70's and early 80's type of player that would only bad mouth one player on the team, themselves. Whenever they interview Tavares, the only time you hear him talk about himself is when he states he isn't doing enough to help, that he could do better, that he expects more of himself. All the other times, he is always thinking/talking about his teammates first.

We are quite lucky to have Tavares on this team. That is a HUGE understatement.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Tavares is 10 points away from 200 in his career. If that's not ridiculous I don't know what is.
then you do not know what ridiculous is.
its good but FAR from Ridiculous
Ridiculous would be 300 points

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special One View Post
what language is this ? what ?

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special One View Post
Well, Streit got a few points...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
LMAO!

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:24 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
This really doesn't matter, it's Tavares' character shining through that matters. The way he conducts himself, the way he treats his teammates, he is obviously the next captain. Tavares really is a throw back the the 70's and early 80's type of player that would only bad mouth one player on the team, themselves. Whenever they interview Tavares, the only time you hear him talk about himself is when he states he isn't doing enough to help, that he could do better, that he expects more of himself. All the other times, he is always thinking/talking about his teammates first.

We are quite lucky to have Tavares on this team. That is a HUGE understatement.
Good post and I'm in total agreement. As good as he's been on the ice, he's a better person off of it from everything I've seen of him. This is HIS team and I think everyone knows it. He will be the next captain of this team and wear that letter for a REALLY long time.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Original Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg27 View Post
Maybe you have additional video feeds but the videos I saw were fairly inconclusive. Therefore if the player himself who was credited with the goal says he didn't touch it (and trust me he would know if he touched it or not) then why wouldn't you make the appropriate change?

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Original Rob

Quote:
Thank you for defining "Ridiculous"!

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:44 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
It clearly went off of Tavares and If they didnt care why didnt he get the goal. In the paper it was said that the word was Tavares went to the offical score keeping and said it never touched him....

Old
03-16-2012, 12:45 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
this really doesn't matter, it's tavares' character shining through that matters. The way he conducts himself, the way he treats his teammates, he is obviously the next captain. Tavares really is a throw back the the 70's and early 80's type of player that would only bad mouth one player on the team, themselves. Whenever they interview tavares, the only time you hear him talk about himself is when he states he isn't doing enough to help, that he could do better, that he expects more of himself. All the other times, he is always thinking/talking about his teammates first.

We are quite lucky to have tavares on this team. That is a huge understatement
this this this

Old
03-16-2012, 02:21 PM
luki here

Quote:
im guessing it's a portuguese guy who doesnt speak english too well, and who obviously doesnt agree with pa playing on the first line. The name "the special one" is the nick name of jose mourinho (one of the most famous soccer coaches in the world) who also happens to be portuguese.

Old
03-16-2012, 02:24 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
It clearly went off of Tavares and If they didnt care why didnt he get the goal. In the paper it was said that the word was Tavares went to the offical score keeping and said it never touched him....
So your arguement is based on a newspaper article. OK, then it must be true.

Use your own reasoning. Would be ridiculous if players had any influence on who goals get accredited to, wouldnt it be? Imagine the significance in the race for stat leader...

If indeed that is the reason why JT didnt get the goal, then the officials made a ridiculous decision.

Old
03-16-2012, 02:31 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

I don't care if Tavares gets to 82 points. If he doesn't score another point this year I still know what I saw, and that was a very good player becoming a star, followed by a star turning into a superstar. This kid is ELITE, and that is all that matters. He is already a top 10 center in this league. I would not be surprised to see this kid break 100 points next year, he is that good.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:43 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
I don't care if Tavares gets to 82 points. If he doesn't score another point this year I still know what I saw, and that was a very good player becoming a star, followed by a star turning into a superstar. This kid is ELITE, and that is all that matters. He is already a top 10 center in this league. I would not be surprised to see this kid break 100 points next year, he is that good.
+1

and I also want to agree with some of the previous voters who stated that tavares has shown humility and teamspirit in both interviews (that is easy) and on the ice (not so easy after possibly deflecting your mates puck). He can be the NYI leader. But it is also important not to put too much (being the one elite player on the islanders is already a cement bag) pressure on his shoulders. Whether he should be captain now or not, is probably something the NYI shrink should think about rather than cappy.

Old
03-16-2012, 02:46 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Okay ridiculous is a strong word. Still, I didn't think he had close to 200 points. I guess I just wasn't paying attention.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:57 PM
jmg27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Rob View Post
Maybe you have additional video feeds but the videos I saw were fairly inconclusive. Therefore if the player himself who was credited with the goal says he didn't touch it (and trust me he would know if he touched it or not) then why wouldn't you make the appropriate change?
Listen I agree with everyone, and like I said I dont care about who gets the goal. I was just more or less curious about the actual offical scoring and how that works from a players word compared to the video.

At around 1:10 of this video, and I could be wrong but its pretty damn clear it hits and redirects off his stick/knee/shin area and goes into the glass/net. I would think the redirection of the puck off of him would be conclusive enought but it doesnt matter. Again more curious about the scoring part of it then who gets the goal/point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ugHtY25kaI

jmg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:38 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Okay ridiculous is a strong word. Still, I didn't think he had close to 200 points. I guess I just wasn't paying attention.
I don't think it's too strong a word when you consider the **** stains that he's had to play with on this team for the past 3 years.

cjdv16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:46 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Wasn't there a game when JT had 2 goals but shouldve had a hatty earlier this year when moulson shot a puck off JT's foot and it went in? I mean JT was behind the goalie and the puck was going in regardless, but it was clear as day that it hit him & went in. Then Johnny had a hatty the next game as well

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:00 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
So your arguement is based on a newspaper article. OK, then it must be true.

Use your own reasoning. Would be ridiculous if players had any influence on who goals get accredited to, wouldnt it be? Imagine the significance in the race for stat leader...

If indeed that is the reason why JT didnt get the goal, then the officials made a ridiculous decision.
NOt the first time Tavares has done this....Theres players out thier who would hear thier name and never think to change it wether the touched the puck or not