HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tavares finishes with 81 points

Old
03-16-2012, 08:14 PM
luki here

vCash: 500
you didnt respond to the quote at all. If I am an official in the war room, or where ever, I wouldnt rely on a players input. I think I made it clear that I appreciate johnny's attitude, he's alright!

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 07:57 AM
BillD

Johnny not looking to pad his stats, especially with an "iffy" goal. He is a team first (and teammate first) kind of kid...great, great attitude for a prolific scorer at every stage of his career. The complete opposite to a guy like Marcel Dionne, a point and puck hog who put up monumental numbers but never won a thing.
I bet Johhny was busting on Moulson for the "cheapie" he didn't want himself....."here, take that one for you". Pretty funny and leader classy move.

Last edited by BillD: 03-17-2012 at 03:16 PM.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 07:57 AM
HC Bienne
@llopesso19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
im guessing it's a portuguese guy who doesnt speak english too well, and who obviously doesnt agree with pa playing on the first line. The name "the special one" is the nick name of jose mourinho (one of the most famous soccer coaches in the world) who also happens to be portuguese.
you have got that right. you people should worry more about your team that my crappy ability for english.

your coach is a joke. he should be fired. there is no coach like that in swiss league(ok maybe kevin constantine )

HC Bienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:08 AM
leaponover

Listen, i give Tavares credit for sure. He is a strong player and a good leader. Please though, let's not make him out to be God like just because he does what EVERYONE should do and tell the truth to the officials that he doesn't think he touched the puck. I am all for recognizing a players assets but it's sad that we have to glorify Tavares just because he actually tries to tell the truth. THIS shouldn't be such a miraculous thing.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special One View Post
hope johnny do god today. why still parenteau playing in he's line?
I hope he do god also today

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:37 AM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special One View Post
hope johnny do god today. why still parenteau playing in he's line?
John is going to be a special player, I am shocked at how much better he is doing a lot of things than last season. Take note of what you think his weaknesses are, because he will be working on them during the off season.
PA is still on that line because no player of significance was added during the off season or regular season. We will not get significantly better until we get NHL veteran players added to our current roster. I think our need is greatest on the back line, but a big RW for Tavares would be great.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 06:54 AM
OsloBladeIslander

He can, and I hope he will.
My pride tells me it is better to win as much as possible the rest of the season, even if it means getting a "worse" draft pick.

OsloBladeIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsloBladeIslander View Post
My pride tells me it is better to win as much as possible the rest of the season, even if it means getting a "worse" draft pick.
Fortunately for those who feel a top 4-7 pick is the best route for this team to go, there's really little the team can do to alter that now.

With 13 games left, I stated I'd be shocked if the team would win 5 of them. They've taken one of three, in the shootout. I hate those shootout points when you're not playing for a playoff spot. They're useless - and they're a gimmick. It's a skills competition. It's not the 'team' winning a game, it's an individual. A bummer extra point for something where no stat is actually added to the statistics although there's an official game-winning goal.

Anyhow, those 5 wins would only have given them 33 for the season.

Can they win 4 of the next 10? I wouldn't bet on it.

I've harped on it many times, but in light of another playoffless year, it'll be an absolute GM FIASCO if Nabokov and Parenteau simply end up signing elsewhere as opposed to having been moved at the deadline. There has been NOTHING gained by retaining their services over the end of the season.

Nothing...

The trade deadline needed to be handled with a view towards the future, any possible 'hurt' in or 'wrong message sent to' the locker room be damned. The team has long since sent the locker room the wrong message through other acquisitions and decisions such as keeping Niederreiter here for the 4th line ride rather than letting him develop properly in a role of responsibility elsewhere.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Darth Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Fortunately for those who feel a top 4-7 pick is the best route for this team to go, there's really little the team can do to alter that now.

With 13 games left, I stated I'd be shocked if the team would win 5 of them. They've taken one of three, in the shootout. I hate those shootout points when you're not playing for a playoff spot. They're useless - and they're a gimmick. It's a skills competition. It's not the 'team' winning a game, it's an individual. A bummer extra point for something where no stat is actually added to the statistics although there's an official game-winning goal.

Anyhow, those 5 wins would only have given them 33 for the season.

Can they win 4 of the next 10? I wouldn't bet on it.

I've harped on it many times, but in light of another playoffless year, it'll be an absolute GM FIASCO if Nabokov and Parenteau simply end up signing elsewhere as opposed to having been moved at the deadline. There has been NOTHING gained by retaining their services over the end of the season.

Nothing...

The trade deadline needed to be handled with a view towards the future, any possible 'hurt' in or 'wrong message sent to' the locker room be damned. The team has long since sent the locker room the wrong message through other acquisitions and decisions such as keeping Niederreiter here for the 4th line ride rather than letting him develop properly in a role of responsibility elsewhere.
I am thinking that this is going to happen. And its going to piss me off to high heaven.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:21 PM
kmo429

Quote:
He is capable, but I'm thinking he ends the year with 76 points.
He's been at about a PG all season and you think all of a sudden in his last 10 games he'll only get 4 points? Doubt it.

I hope he gets 82, he's already elite wheter hegets 82 or not. He has a really complete game. People dont realize his forechecking and even backchecking are good. Hes urned into asolid 2 way player.

12 points in 10 games is certainly possible. We could see him get those 12 points in 4 games the way JT can turn it one

kmo429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:59 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
He's been at about a PG all season and you think all of a sudden in his last 10 games he'll only get 4 points? Doubt it.

I hope he gets 82, he's already elite wheter hegets 82 or not. He has a really complete game. People dont realize his forechecking and even backchecking are good. Hes urned into asolid 2 way player.

12 points in 10 games is certainly possible. We could see him get those 12 points in 4 games the way JT can turn it one
Johnny is an elite center already and it doesn't matter if he gets to 82 or not, but I want him to get it. It would also mean that he'd get point #200 in his career if he does accomplish it and that'll put him in select company in the 21 and under category.

JT does put up points in bunches so a couple of 3-point games and he's pretty much there. He should get it.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:04 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
To wind up with 82 points and a average a point a game for a whole season. Do you guys think he can do it ? He's been on one of his hot streaks 4-2-6 over his last 3 games, can he keep up this pace or something similar over the next 12 games ?

I never wanna doubt what JT can do, BUT, he has some really difficult games left against teams fighting for playoff position, or even just to make the playoffs. And those teams pretty much know, shut down Tavares, and you shut down the Isles.

Two part question, do you think he will do it, AND, does it really matter ? Does averaging a point a game put you in the "elite" class of the NHL ?
I think 82 points with the nonsense roster we trot out there is pretty nasty. I feel bad for the guy, he obviously excepted the challenge to be this teams savior for the long hall and in turn Wang/Garth says "Here's the keys Johnny, do it yourself"....My question is why is he committed to this team, I'm a lifer Isles fan and I find myself not caring anymore

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:34 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Updated the title. He can definitely do it!

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:58 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Like I said, JT gets points in bunches. A couple more 3-point nights and he'll get it.

I can't remember the last Isles to be a PPG over a whole season?!? Was it Zigmund?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:26 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Johnny not looking to pad his stats, especially with an "iffy" goal. He is a team first (and teammate first) kind of kid...great, great attitude for a prolific scorer at every stage of his career. The complete opposite to a guy like Marcel Dionne, a point and puck hog who put up monumental numbers but never won a thing.
I bet Johhny was busting on Moulson for the "cheapie" he didn't want himself....."here, take that one for you". Pretty funny and leader classy move.
Tavares isn't winning a thing on those Kings teams either.

This is probably what it was like for Dionne back in the day. Maybe 30 years from now, people will think Tavares was a loser puckhog too.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Like I said, JT gets points in bunches. A couple more 3-point nights and he'll get it.

I can't remember the last Isles to be a PPG over a whole season?!? Was it Zigmund?
it's gotta be. Yashin never did it.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:37 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Yashin had 75 in 78.

JT should be the first Islander to score 80 since Palffy.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:37 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
Yashin had 75 in 78.

JT should be the first Islander to score 80 since Palffy.
Incredible. As a 21 year old kid with virtually no assistance. The sky is really the limit for JT. I really think he has the potential to be the best player in the entire league. Give him a guy like Yakupov to play with in the future and you have as good of a duo as anyone in the league.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:25 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Incredible. As a 21 year old kid with virtually no assistance. The sky is really the limit for JT. I really think he has the potential to be the best player in the entire league. Give him a guy like Yakupov to play with in the future and you have as good of a duo as anyone in the league.
And his reward by the generous owner is to play with two second line wings who don't do offer him much to work with.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:15 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I'd be plenty pleased if JT could just score 76 points, so Yashin can stop being the highest scoring Islander since Palffy.

And for anyone curious, here is EVERY SINGLE 65+ point season for the Islanders since the Palffy trade. Spoiler Alert: it's a pretty depressing read.

Yashin: 2001-02 78GP 32G 43A 75Pts
Czerkawski: 1999-00 79GP 35G 35A 70Pts
Blake: 2006-07 82GP 40G 29A 69Pts
Tavares 2010-11 79GP 29G 38A 67Pts
Satan 2005-06 82GP 35G 31A 66Pts
Yashin 2005-06 82GP 28G 38A 66Pts
Yashin 2002-03 81GP 26G 39A 65Pts

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:22 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
I love JT and think he will be in the HHOF after his days are done, with a few Cups on his resume.
But he is not as good as Malkin or Crosby, even when they were the same age as JT. He is not THAT far off, and I know those two had the advantage of playing with much better players (not Crosby his first year though) and each other on many shifts. That is a legitmate reason why there are difference. JT has really closed the performance and talent gap this year, and will continue to incrementally close it, but Malkins size and abilty to score from anywhere on this ice, Crosby's insane skating and leg strength might always keep them just ahead of JT. In an era of really superb yooung talent, JT will be in every conversation about "the best" every year. He is a better hockey player already than Ovechkin and Kovalchuk and on par with Datsuyk and Toews. I still see him being a much better goal scorer in future years than he is now with many 40 goal and possibly 50 goal seasons.
I can't wait to see him improve his shot range and finishing touch and to get a real complimentary RW who can get him the puck and also control it in the offensive zone. MM is fine on that LW even though he is not a 1st line player, but that RW has to be upgraded and JT will take off, be closer to Malkin and Crosby.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:37 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I'd be plenty pleased if JT could just score 76 points, so Yashin can stop being the highest scoring Islander since Palffy.

And for anyone curious, here is EVERY SINGLE 65+ point season for the Islanders since the Palffy trade. Spoiler Alert: it's a pretty depressing read.

Thats just.....disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Amazingly pathetic listing... Wow, not one 80 point guy in ten plus seasons.

Brutal!

Old
03-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
n an era of really superb yooung talent, JT will be in every conversation about "the best" every year. He is a better hockey player already than Ovechkin and Kovalchuk and on par with Datsuyk and Toews. I still see him being a much better goal scorer in future years than he is now with many 40 goal and possibly 50 goal seasons.
It's amazing to say, but this JT definitely looks like a guy who can be a regular 90+ point man with 50 goal seasons in his sites.

Just imagine what he'll be able to do with not only more capable wingers, but better offensive Dmen AND a number of muscle guys in the line-up who'll keep the opponent from taking such liberties with him.

We've got Martin, but imagine if we also had guys like Clutterbuck, Hartnell and Prust dotting the line-up and a Dman who brought the snarl of an Erskine/Cairns?

JT would have SO much room to maneuver!

Old
03-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Amazingly pathetic listing... Wow, not one 80 point guy in ten plus seasons.

Brutal!
Points are overrated stats.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote