HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sam Gagner

Old
03-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

vCash: 500
Sam Gagner

Hey everyone I know there's probably a thread floating around somewhere but I just want to bring this discussion up again, what would your team offer for Sam Gagner? We are looking for a young top 4 dman.

With the Oilers likely to pick #2 this Entry Draft Grigorenko seems to be the popular option in that spot and would help our team significantly adding some much need size in our Top 6.

So for Edmonton it's kind of a question of do you take Gagner, Dumba/Murray or Grig, Gagner Dman return?

I'm kind of looking for a ballpark return. This isn't a question if you think Edmonton should pick Dumba/Murray or Grigorenko strictly for Gagner value.

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:37 PM
ArrogantOwl

Seems like Nashville might be a good trading partner. They need offense have a good number of D prospects. Although you could be able to pick up Carle in the off-season.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Edmontonoil

I think the oil would be interested in a young good quality goalie for gags....
What about Gagner for jake allen and a 2nd? The blues have no for him since they have two starters in eliott and halak!

Last edited by Edmontonoil: 03-14-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Edmontonoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:32 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontonoil View Post
What about Gagner for jake allen and a 2nd? The blues have no for him since they have two starters in eliott and halak!
No interest in Ganger he really doesn't fit on the blues. Jake Allen will get to develope at a steady pace for the rivermen as their starter. He should be NHL ready when it comes time to resign Elliott and Halak.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:34 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontonoil View Post
And Elliott and Halak's contracts are up in two more years which is about when Allen should be NHL ready. Gagner isn't exactly an ideal fit for a #3 center for the Blues so I would rather see the Blues sign Arnott(or a similar vet) for another year for that role.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:37 PM
rockinghockey

I don't want to trade Gagner for a goalie prospect, we have Bunz that is just a good as a prospect and Allen.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:41 PM
rockinghockey

I see Gagner as a nice fit in ANA, as they have some big wingers and Getzlaf is a big centreman.

I think Gagner for ANA 1st round pick. I know a lot of people are going to say that it could be 7th to 10th but ANA is looking for a player that can help them now and they need a young 2nd line centreman. GAgner would be the perfect fit with Ryan. What about Gagner and Omark for their 1st. Gagner would put up about 60 pts and he is about 50% at the dot and Omark would look good feeding the puck to ANA top 6.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:56 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

cody franson

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:17 AM
I see only darkness

Gagner is a good player but he should not be back with the oilers next year. He needs to play with big wingers which oilers do not have

Gagner + to Nash for Ellis once Suter resigns with them

I see only darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:26 AM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
well, to gauge his value, you would need to think perhaps what would he aquire from an arbitrator, and I would say somewhere in between $4,701,132 to $6,268,175. From there you can take the RFA Offer sheet compensation for that amount which is: First-, second-, and third-round pick. Throw in his age and the fact that he is not really being shopped, and a team would likely have to overpay, and I would think that a first and two seconds is not unreasonable to ask for him, again, his age may play a factor as well in throwing in a prospect.

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:03 AM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0psh3lfclu7ch View Post
well, to gauge his value, you would need to think perhaps what would he aquire from an arbitrator, and I would say somewhere in between $4,701,132 to $6,268,175. From there you can take the RFA Offer sheet compensation for that amount which is: First-, second-, and third-round pick. Throw in his age and the fact that he is not really being shopped, and a team would likely have to overpay, and I would think that a first and two seconds is not unreasonable to ask for him, again, his age may play a factor as well in throwing in a prospect.
He doesn't deserve anything more than 4m IMO.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Pepin le bref

His lack of offensive progression despite good ice time is a concern. His lack of size and strengh makes him pretty much useless as a 3rd-line center. He is a fringe 2nd-line center on a terrible hockey team and dosen't fit on alot of teams in the NHL.

IMO, his value isn't very high.

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:47 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0psh3lfclu7ch View Post
NO chance he gets that. Who would be the comparable?

If I am the OIlers I probably throw out names like Logan Couture and perhaps Claude Giroux.

That said if some team offers a first and two seconds the OIlers would be crazy not to jump.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:20 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Hawks offer Montador and Dylan Olsen?

I hope i'm not the only person who sees middle-low value in Gagner despite his 8 point game. He has 42 points in 63 games. Dont get all upset Oilers fans, i say the following as a team who has to give something up to get Gagner.

In order to properly value Sam Gagner and what he would bring to your team and what you would be willing to give up for him, you have to discount his fluke 8 point game. Its just clearly not indicative of the type of player you're acquiring.

Lets just say, for arguments sake, that instead of having a legendary night, he had a great night and had a goal and an assist (2 points). His point totals as of right now would be 36 points in 63 games. Gagner would then be ranked 47th overall http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...me=points&pg=2 for points among Centers. He'd also be on pace for about 45 points.

What would a team really give up for a guy who has had serious offensive issues, never scoring more than 49 points and is a career -43? http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474040

I know the guy has good/not great offensive potential but i doubt the Oilers get a NHL ready top 4 Dman in return.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:54 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Hawks offer Montador and Dylan Olsen?

I hope i'm not the only person who sees middle-low value in Gagner despite his 8 point game. He has 42 points in 63 games. Dont get all upset Oilers fans, i say the following as a team who has to give something up to get Gagner.

In order to properly value Sam Gagner and what he would bring to your team and what you would be willing to give up for him, you have to discount his fluke 8 point game. Its just clearly not indicative of the type of player you're acquiring.

Lets just say, for arguments sake, that instead of having a legendary night, he had a great night and had a goal and an assist (2 points). His point totals as of right now would be 36 points in 63 games. Gagner would then be ranked 47th overall http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...me=points&pg=2 for points among Centers. He'd also be on pace for about 45 points.

What would a team really give up for a guy who has had serious offensive issues, never scoring more than 49 points and is a career -43? http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474040

I know the guy has good/not great offensive potential but i doubt the Oilers get a NHL ready top 4 Dman in return.
He was playing at a career low pace before the month of feb because he injured his ankle in pre season and had an extremely slow start. His big night just offset his slow start. Plus it happened sooooo.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:00 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
He was playing at a career low pace before the month of feb because he injured his ankle in pre season and had an extremely slow start. His big night just offset his slow start. Plus it happened sooooo.
At the other thing that has happened is Gagner has reverted back to the invisible man much like he did prior to his injury. Soooooo....

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:10 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
At the other thing that has happened is Gagner has reverted back to the invisible man much like he did prior to his injury. Soooooo....
Soooo he's a 22 year old who's struggled to find consistency. What's not completely normal about this? Look what Kyle Turris fetched. Explain to me how Turris is more valuable than Gagner?

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Why a young top 4 defenseman ? There are plenty of veterans who can provide that who will be free agents and you wont have to give up Gagner.

Gagner is worth a No.4 defenseman.. but a young and cheap one who is already clearly a top 4 defenseman is worth more than Gagner because they have greater upside and provide better value for money. So I dont know that you'll find a team willing to trade one that truly matches your definition. You'll probably get offers like David Schlemko + pick which will just annoy you.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:56 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Soooo he's a 22 year old who's struggled to find consistency. What's not completely normal about this? Look what Kyle Turris fetched. Explain to me how Turris is more valuable than Gagner?
That's why he won't fetch a top 4 Dman.

Try pitching THAT to a team. "Well we have a young 2C who has struggled with consistency. Maybe you'll get a 65 point guy or maybe you'll get a 45 point guy, depending if hes injured or not. Oh and he offers little to no defensive stability. Give us one of your top 4 dmen"????

Good luck

Old
03-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Hf as a whole values him pretty low. I dont think there will be sensible offers here.

He's proven more than Turris but would never get a return like that suggested by most HFers here.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:15 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
NO chance he gets that. Who would be the comparable?

If I am the OIlers I probably throw out names like Logan Couture and perhaps Claude Giroux.

That said if some team offers a first and two seconds the OIlers would be crazy not to jump.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I hope that you are not saying you think that Gagner has the same value as either Couture or Giroux, because those 2 are more than one notch above Gagner. They are 2 of the best young centers in the game, Gagner is not. If you take out Gagner's 8 point game, he has something like 34 points in 62 games (or thereabouts). That's not in Giroux or Couture's league.

If that is not what you meant, I apologize. Maybe you could clarify.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:17 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
That's why he won't fetch a top 4 Dman.

Try pitching THAT to a team. "Well we have a young 2C who has struggled with consistency. Maybe you'll get a 65 point guy or maybe you'll get a 45 point guy, depending if hes injured or not. Oh and he offers little to no defensive stability. Give us one of your top 4 dmen"????

Good luck
Not to mention his struggles in the faceoff circle (kind of important for a center).

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:23 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Leopold and Brennan for ganger

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Turris got a prospect and a draft pick not a proven top 4 defenceman. I'm sure the Oilers could get something similar, the quality of the prospect is the question.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:39 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Turris got a prospect and a draft pick not a proven top 4 defenceman. I'm sure the Oilers could get something similar, the quality of the prospect is the question.
If the Hawks traded Morin/Olsen and a 2nd for Gagner I wouldn't be too upset.

If they traded Leddy/Hjalmarsson for him though, yes, I'd be thoroughly upset