HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#71 | SABRES vs AVALANCHE | WED MAR 14 | 7:30PM ET

Old
03-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
#71 | SABRES vs AVALANCHE | WED MAR 14 | 7:30PM ET

GDT#71: SABRES (33-29-8) vs AVALANCHE (37-30-4) – WED MAR 14 – 7:30PM ET – NBCSN, TSN2 (Full Story)

(AP) – The surging Buffalo Sabres suddenly find themselves just outside the Eastern Conference playoff picture.

The Colorado Avalanche have used an impressive run of their own to climb into the mix in the West.

With both teams seeking a third consecutive win, the visiting Avalanche and Sabres meet for the only time this season
Wednesday night.

Buffalo (33-29-8), which sat in a last-place tie in the conference Feb. 18, has since used a 9-2-1 run to climb into
ninth. The Sabres picked up another two points and inched closer to the East's final postseason berth with Monday's
3-2 overtime win over Montreal.

Left wing Tyler Ennis scored twice, and after Ryan Miller allowed the tying goal with five seconds left in regulation,
defenseman Tyler Myers found the back of the net 2:01 into OT.

"Two months ago, I would say it would've been very tough with our group," Myers said. "But I think we've come a very
long, long way ... the way we responded was a big sign of life with our group.

"Definitely big in the sense that we got the two points. Every game here on out is gonna be a crucial game for us. It's
so tight, it's gonna come right down to the end, we gotta battle for every two points."

Myers won't be around to face the Avalanche after being suspended Tuesday for three games for an illegal hit from
behind Monday.

Miller finished with 26 saves and helped kill both of the Canadiens' power-play opportunities. Buffalo hasn't allowed a
power-play goal in a season-high nine straight games.

"Right now we're looking for positives to build on and wins to build on," said Miller, who improved to 9-1-1 with a 1.78
goals-against average in his last 11 starts.
HODGSON KEEPS HIS COOL (Full Story)

(Buffalo News) – As the Sabres began heading off the ice at the conclusion of practice Tuesday, coach Lindy Ruff
decided it was time for a chat with Cody Hodgson. The trade-deadline acquisition has been struggling, so Ruff called
the center to the blue line for a one-on-one conference.

The message?

"Not to get frustrated," Ruff said.

Hodgson says he isn't discouraged, though it is easy to imagine he might be. He'll play his ninth game for Buffalo
tonight when Colorado visits First Niagara Center, and Hodgson is still looking for his first point. The 22-year-old has
been a consistent point gatherer everywhere else, but so far it's been bubkes in Buffalo.

"Not necessarily frustrating, but I think the chances are there," Hodgson said. "A couple of broken sticks, posts, stuff
like that that just aren't going in, but I'm a pretty positive person and I like to stay pretty upbeat. I know you're this
close to your next shot going in, so I know it's coming."

When it does, it might not be on a top line. The center practiced on the fourth line with left wing Brad Boyes and right
wing Corey Tropp, the same duo he finished with during Monday's 3-2 overtime victory against Montreal.

"This team is so deep and so solid all the way through, there's great players on every line and it's a pleasure to be a
part of it," Hodgson said. "We're winning games, and that's all that matters."
MYERS GETS THREE-GAME SUSPENSION FOR BOARDING PENALTY (Full Story)

(Buffalo News) – There's never a good time to lose a franchise defenseman for three games due to suspension. But
with only 12 games left in the season and the Sabres desperate to climb into a playoff spot, the timing is really bad.

That, however, is the Sabres' reality. The NHL and Brendan Shanahan, the vice president of player safety, handed
Tyler Myers a three-game ban Tuesday night for his boarding of Montreal's Scott Gomez. The big defenseman will miss
tonight's home game against Colorado, Saturday's visit to Florida and Monday's game in Tampa Bay.

The penalty on Myers, who also will forfeit $14,189 in salary, equates to 25 percent of the Sabres' remaining schedule.

"It's tough. There's no doubt," coach Lindy Ruff said. "He's been a big part of our back end."

Myers hit Gomez during the third period of Monday's 3-2 victory over the Canadiens, a win cemented by Myers'
overtime goal. The defenseman had a hearing with Shanahan on Tuesday afternoon, and he made his way toward the
phone call feeling supplemental discipline was coming.

"[Tuesday] morning it looked a lot worse than a lot of guys thought it did [Monday] night when it happened," Myers
said. "Especially with 12 games left in this tight race, it's not a good feeling to even be in this situation."

The suspension-earning sequence started when Myers collided with Montreal's Chris Campoli along the boards, with
the Buffalo blue-liner taking Campoli's stick to the face. Myers then skated toward Gomez below the goal line and hit
him in the back, the forward flying face-first into the boards.
AVS' ROOKIE MARK OLVER PLAYS WITH A FEARLESS STYLE (Full Story)

(Denver Post) – Mark Olver's name is often misspelled, dating to before he was born. There is no "I" in "Olver," just like
the cliche — there is no "I" in "team."

The Avalanche rookie, the son of Colorado Rockies hockey draft pick John Olver — whose name is spelled "Oliver" in
the former NHL team's 1979-80 media guide — is the epitome of a team-first player.

"He plays fearless," Avs coach Joe Sacco said of the 5-foot-10, 170-pound forward, who is playing a key role —
replacing injured star Matt Duchene and centering a line with Peter Mueller and Milan Hejduk. "He's a smaller guy in
stature, but he plays with some bite, with an edge, and goes into the hard areas of the ice.

"He does not shy away from physical play at all, and that's why a guy that size can have success. He's a smart player,
and he's been a spark plug for us."

Olver, 24, is from Joe Sakic's hometown of Burnaby, British Columbia, and has overcome a concussion during training
camp that knocked him out most of the season. After playing 18 games with the Avs last season but most of the time
with Lake Erie of the American Hockey League, Olver began this season living a nightmare.

"Big scrum in the corner, I was on the ice and I think I got kicked in the head," Olver said of the incident in training
camp. "Next thing I know I had a headache, and next day I had a headache. I knew there was something wrong. It
was a painful headache. It wasn't like a mild 'I have to lay down' headache, and they lasted for a few months. I couldn't
do anything. Couldn't raise my heart rate, couldn't do anything to raise my blood pressure."

BUFFALO SABRES

Lineup News & Notes (News)

Above, LW2 is #82 Marcus Foligno; RD#2 will be a call-up from AHL/Rochester. Matt Ellis (MCL), Cody McCormick and
Andrej Sekera (pneumonia) were scratched in Buffalo's last game, a 3-2 overtime win over Montreal on Monday.
Jochen Hecht (concussion) also missed Monday's game and remains on LTIR with his injury. Ellis and Sekera will miss
tonight's game, while Tyler Myers will serve game one of his three-game suspension for this check on Montreal's Scott
Gomez. The Sabres are expected to start Ryan Miller in goal tonight against the Avs.

Weekly Transactions

Buffalo recalled Marcus Foligno from AHL/Rochester on Friday. Buffalo recalled Brayden McNabb today.

According to the Stats

Buffalo are: 27-3-2 when allowing two or fewer goals; 24-4-3 when scoring three or more; 20-4-5 when Derek Roy
records a point; 18-4-1 when Christian Ehrhoff records a point; 11-1-3 when Tyler Ennis records a point; 11-2-4 in
their last seventeen games at First Niagara Center; and 7-2-1 in their last ten games.

Ryan Miller is 9-1-1 in his last 11 starts with a 1.78 goals-against average, but 0-1-2 with a 2.55 GAA in three games
versus Colorado.

COLORADO AVALANCHE

Lineup News & Notes (News)

Above, LW2 is #54 Jamie McGinn. Tyson Barrie (face), Mike Connolly, Matt Duchene (ankle), Stefan Elliot and Chuck
Kobasew (back) were scratched in Colorado's last game, a 3-2 overtime win over Anaheim on Monday. Barrie and
Kobasew remain questionable for tonight's game, while Duchene is out but skating. The Avalanche are expected to
start Semyon Varlamov in goal tonight versus the Sabres.

Weekly Transactions

Zero transactions in the past week.

According to the Stats

Colorado are: 21-9-4 in one-goal games; 11-5-1 in their last seventeen games; and 7-3-0 in their last ten games.

Semyon Varlamov is 7-2-0 in his last nine starts, with a 1.32 GAA and .955 save percentage.

BUFFALO SABRES

1. Can this team ACTUALLY do it? (ALL PLAYOFF CHASE DISCUSSION HERE) <14750 views>

2. Summer Roster Moves: The Speculation Thread <8250 views>

3. Myers facing hearing for Gomez hit [UPDATE: Suspended 3 games] <4250 views>

COLORADO AVALANCHE (Forum)

1. Landeskog's play <41000 views>

2. Semyon Varlamov's play? <22000 views>

3. Here we follow the hunt for a playoff spot <10000 views>

A/V CLUB

03/12: Jamie McGinn talks to Brian Duff following Colorado's 3-2 overtime win over Anaheim. <1:51>

03/13: Lindy Ruff talks to the media following Buffalo's practice. <6:39>

03/13: Cody Hodgson talks to the media following Buffalo's practice. <3:00>

03/13: Tyler Myers talks to the media following Buffalo's practice. <3:21>

03/13: Brendan Shanahan explains the three game suspension for Buffalo's Tyler Myers. <1:55>

03/14: Tyler Ennis talks to the media before Buffalo's game against Colorado. <0:41>

03/14: Brayden McNabb talks to the media before Buffalo's game against Colorado. <1:26>

03/14: Lindy Ruff talks to the media before Buffalo's game against Colorado. <4:27>

03/14: Kevin Sylvester tonight's game between Buffalo and Colorado from First Niagara Center. <1:32>

GAMEDAY CHAT

IRC Server: irc.esper.net ... Channel: #sabres ... If you have questions: FYI - Sabres Chat

GAMEDAY STREAMS

GameCenter Live (subscription required); FirstRowSports and Wiziwig

Last edited by Woodhouse: 03-14-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Nanerpus

vCash: 500
So with the suspension of Myers, then who do we call up? Mcnabb?

By the way, nice GDT.

Nanerpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:27 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

I'll be there! 2nd to last game of the season for me. Who else is going? Fifagod are you?

No Myers makes it a tall order (no pun intended). Is Sekera back? I hope so.

I'll be optimistic here ...

4-2 Sabres

Foligno, Hodgson, or Leino with a goal.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:42 AM
dire wolf
be cool

I doubt Sekera is back from pneumonia already. And if he is, he'll probably lack stamina. They pretty much have to call up McNabb (or possibly Brennan) at this point. Bring me some McNabb please.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436

gonna lose your hat

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:12 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
FK YOU, ISLANDERS

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:22 AM
McTank

Seeing my first game in buffalo this year(live in Toronto and saw them here)

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:29 AM
FoSotC

Cool, hope you have a good time.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:16 AM
Mr Twinkie

Last minute tickets came through.. I'll be at the game tonight in section 110. Still undefeated this year when I'm in attendance, keep it going boys.

Mr Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:39 AM
littletonhockeycoach

I think we're going to be treated to a very good game tonight. Avs have come out hard in the 1st period of late. So have the Sabres. Both teams are trying to make the playoffs. Varley is acrobatic and anticipating shots on him really well. And we all know what Miller's been like. Landeskog had the flu monday night and was hooked up to an IV before the game and still scored the winning goal in OT. Ennis is hotter than hot.

Stastny has been sharp of late. So has McGinn after being traded from San Jose. Everyone knows Downie from his TB days. He's been a force on the ice. Avs are coming in with a solid top 6 and a very decent top 9.

I'd like to see McLeod and Kaleta go toe 2 toe. And it would have been fun to see Landeskog try to put a hit on Myers. (Gabe hits everyone.... always finishes his checks. Leading the team in goals. He's pretty amazing.)

This is the game for CoHo to step up and make some of those unbelieveable marksmanship passes. And get on the scoresheet.

The good news is that one of the few coaches who can screw up his line combo's worse than Ruff is Sacco. The timing of his changes drives me crazy too.

The fat ba**ard looking character behind the Av's been is Adam Deadmarsh. He obviously likes his Wendys.

I'm expecting a fight to break out in my living room during this one. #1 son's favorite team is the Avs with Sabres #2 while #2 son likes the Sabres #1 and Av's #2. My wife simply likes Hejduk and as long as he scores (he won't) she's OK. But it could get ugly if the game is close.

Not trying to upstage Woody. His GDT is excellente as usual. But this is a big game for the clan from Buffalo who have a Littleton address.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:06 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
I think we're going to be treated to a very good game tonight. Avs have come out hard in the 1st period of late. So have the Sabres. Both teams are trying to make the playoffs. Varley is acrobatic and anticipating shots on him really well. And we all know what Miller's been like. Landeskog had the flu monday night and was hooked up to an IV before the game and still scored the winning goal in OT. Ennis is hotter than hot.

Stastny has been sharp of late. So has McGinn after being traded from San Jose. Everyone knows Downie from his TB days. He's been a force on the ice. Avs are coming in with a solid top 6 and a very decent top 9.

I'd like to see McLeod and Kaleta go toe 2 toe. And it would have been fun to see Landeskog try to put a hit on Myers. (Gabe hits everyone.... always finishes his checks. Leading the team in goals. He's pretty amazing.)

This is the game for CoHo to step up and make some of those unbelieveable marksmanship passes. And get on the scoresheet.

The good news is that one of the few coaches who can screw up his line combo's worse than Ruff is Sacco. The timing of his changes drives me crazy too.

The fat ba**ard looking character behind the Av's been is Adam Deadmarsh. He obviously likes his Wendys.

I'm expecting a fight to break out in my living room during this one. #1 son's favorite team is the Avs with Sabres #2 while #2 son likes the Sabres #1 and Av's #2. My wife simply likes Hejduk and as long as he scores (he won't) she's OK. But it could get ugly if the game is close.

Not trying to upstage Woody. His GDT is excellente as usual. But this is a big game for the clan from Buffalo who have a Littleton address.
No upstaging here. We each have our night. Mine is when we play at MSG for a lot of similar reasons you listed.

I'm scared of this one, personally.

4-2 Avalanche

Stassni, Landiscogge, MickLoud (yep), Hayta

Pominville, Sulzer

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:31 AM
Wal Nichushkin
Lurker

vCash: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
OOoooh thats harsh. Poor guy can barely exercise with his PCS.

Either way, good luck to y'all tonight. Can we agree on a three point game?

Wal Nichushkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:48 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
OOoooh thats harsh. Poor guy can barely exercise with his PCS.

Either way, good luck to y'all tonight. Can we agree on a three point game?
You don't ever tell me to ****. You do not swear at me, Kerpal.

Last edited by jBuds: 03-14-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old
03-14-2012, 06:42 AM
Luceni

Are we 4 points out of the playoffs?

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:38 AM
MikeB26Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Are we 4 points out of the playoffs?
Yes thanks to the islanders! And I will be there also. Let's get this win and make some noise in the F'NC for a change. Let's go Buffalo!

MikeB26Sabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:21 AM
CrankyJay

Islanders are simply pathetic.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Rebuild
good 2b a tankster

Brayden Mcnabb gets an emergency recall per a Sabres.com text alert.

(correction, the alert was via the iphone app)

Last edited by Rebuild: 03-14-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Rebuild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:44 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by two Tylers now View Post
Suiiiite

Old
03-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I just don't have a good feeling about this one. I'd love it if they surprise me.

03-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twinkie View Post
Last minute tickets came through.. I'll be at the game tonight in section 110. Still undefeated this year when I'm in attendance, keep it going boys.
You don't say that out loud!

Also with the way the Avs played the other night and seeing Landeskog, I'm actually a little scared of this game.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by two Tylers now View Post

(correction, the alert was via the iphone app)
Possible bad blood to come from this.

McNabb was the one to knock Hishon out last year and I don't think he's even skating yet (could be wrong on the last part).

He would have been on the team this year if he was able.

Anyways, good luck.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:20 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Gonna be at the game tonight. Hoping for a good one.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:29 PM
notHiro

Excited to see McNabb again. I also really like these lines. I'm hoping the fourth line really gets going because Tropp has been good and Boyes has been playing better, hopefully Hodgson can start turning it on too.

Only really worried about the defense this game.

notHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:34 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Will be at this game tonight, so excited. Going to games are my favorite thing to do! Go Sabres!

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:36 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Expect McLeod or somebody wanting to go McNabb tonight. I'm sure Kaleta will step in, though.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote