HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reimer Should Be Odd Man Out

Old
03-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
2012-2013 Goalie discussion.

With all you have seen from Gus this season, does he deserve an extension? Say 1 year, 2 million ish?

W-L-OTL 17-16-3
SV% .906
GAA 2.82
SO 4

In Bold Career best numbers.

Last edited by ULF_55: 03-14-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:42 AM
shaner89

vCash: 500
Disgraceful.

36th out of 45 goalies in save%. That's putrid.

Im biased tho, hated him since day 1

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:44 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Nope. His boat has sailed. Burkes not going into next season with Reimer and Gus again.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

I hope he's re-signed. He's better than Reimer. He needs to play to produce. Our system is also changing to acommodate him much more.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mohare

If you are happy with having the worst (or 2nd worst, i'm looking at you Columbus) starting goaltending in the league then why not keep him. Is he better than Toskala? I think so. Is he good enough? I think not.

Start Reimer next year, sign Vokoun (if the caps let him walk) to be the safety net.

mohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
superrich

I don't think he will be back next year. I think Burke will sign a veteran goalie like Nabokov or Mason, and Reimer will be backup.

superrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohare View Post
If you are happy with having the worst (or 2nd worst, i'm looking at you Columbus) starting goaltending in the league then why not keep him. Is he better than Toskala? I think so. Is he good enough? I think not.

Start Reimer next year, sign Vokoun (if the caps let him walk) to be the safety net.
What fans need to realize is that Ron Wilson's run and gun system was a goalie killer. With the underwhelming defense of Toronto, even Henrik Lundqvist would have looked average.

The Rangers relish their shot blocking in front of Henrik, and the Leafs team is full of pansies.

Great goaltending is a result of solid defensive system and shot blocking.

Hence, Gus is and never was the problem. He should be retained.

03-12-2012, 09:01 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I hope he's re-signed. He's better than Reimer. He needs to play to produce. Our system is also changing to acommodate him much more.
Saying he's better than a 23 year old with less than a year NHL experience coming off a serious concussion isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for a 27 year old keeper in his 3rd. year.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
shaner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
What fans need to realize is that Ron Wilson's run and gun system was a goalie killer. With the underwhelming defense of Toronto, even Henrik Lundqvist would have looked average.

The Rangers relish their shot blocking in front of Henrik, and the Leafs team is full of pansies.

Great goaltending is a result of solid defensive system and shot blocking.
Agreed to some extent. Gus has also Let in alotttt of pathetic goals and at crucial times

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hdtrax

With Reimer under contract for 2 more years AND Burke calling him "the real deal" you have to expect the writing is on the wall for Jonas.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:04 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

.~*Let me look into the future*~.

I see Gus signed for 4 years.
I see bad catch and release.
I see poor puck handling.
I see terrible rebound control.
I see soft goals.
I see no playoffs in Burke's tenure.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
Agreed to some extent. Gus has also Let in alotttt of pathetic goals and at crucial times
And I'm making the argument that the reason for that was the handling of goaltenders by Wilson. One loss for Gus and Reimer is in, one loss for Reimer and Gus is in. No one was ever given a chance to get in a groove of their own and get comfortable with the fact that making mistakes is okay along the way.

I think out of the two, Gustavsson possesses the more upside and he's played very well since Carlyle has taken over. I hope he is retained. I can't stand Reimer.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Ari91

I don't think there are many goalies that can flourish under the kind of system that Wilson had in place. While inconsistent seems to be Gus' middle name, I don't think it's coincidental that he's been playing this well in the short time he's been under Carlyle. Carlyle's system protects the goalie first and foremost by having the D pay more attention to defense while expecting all the forwards to have defensive contributions throughout the game. Despite the losses, I feel that the quality of scoring chances against the Leafs have drastically lowered compared to earlier in the season.

But with all that said, unless Burke wants to trade Reimer, I don't see Gus getting an extension. The team needs a veteran presence and one of Reimer and Gus are occupying that veteran spot and one of them needs to be moved to make room. I think a fair shot for either goalie would be having them play under a system where they aren't expected to make hail Mary save after hail Mary save just to keep their team in games and that's something that people have forgotten. Many goalies can have games where it seems like they stand on their head and you just can't get score on them but how many goalies can do that every game? How many goalies are put in a position where that's the kind of performance that's required for them to help their team win games? I don't see Gus coming back but despite the years as a Leaf, I wouldn't say he got a fair shot to reach his potential and contribute to the team the way I think he can. When he goes somewhere else and puts up awesome numbers, people will forget how he once played in a system that hung him out to dry and instead will complain about how he decided to become 'good' after he took the Leafs uniform off.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Frankiehollywood

2012-2013 Goaltending situation...what do you do?

With the Monster getting an extended look at down the stretch, and Reimer trying to find his game, is this the tandem you want leading the way next year under Carlyle's new system? or should Burke bring in a UFA veteran backup like Marty Biron or Johan Hedberg to mentor Reimer like Giggy did?

Frankiehollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:29 AM
DionPhaneuf3

Definitely don't trust Reimer/Gustavsson. Guys have both been very shaky and inconsistent. I suggest we either bring in a veteran goalie or attempt to trade for a no.1 goalie, preferably moving gustavsson as he's much older than Reimer.

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

You may want to refer to the "Off Season Goaltending Fix" thread for some answers.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1129849

There are many options available, from UFA Harding, Nabokov, or Vokoun. Just a matter of figuring out to either trade or sign at this point.

Last edited by 1927: 03-12-2012 at 09:39 AM.
1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Budsfan

Reimer has not been able to return from the head injury (concussion), he sustained earlier in the season and unless he can get back to stopping the puck, the way he did, when he was signed to be the #1 goal tender, he will probably be gone.

Gustavsson IMO has played well enough, to be the back up next year, or maybe even be the #1 but that depends on the market and since goal tenders seem to be at a premium, it could determine if Gustavsson is the #1 or the backup

I think Gustavsson should be re-signed and the search for another goal tender to be under way, as soon as the season ends.

Scrivens may be a possible back up and being the #1 goal tender for the Marlies in the AHL cup run, may make him the best one available to be the #2 goal tender for the Leafs.

Carlyle's system may help considerably and once all the pieces come together, we can use the goal tending we have.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:49 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I don't think there are many goalies that can flourish under the kind of system that Wilson had in place. While inconsistent seems to be Gus' middle name, I don't think it's coincidental that he's been playing this well in the short time he's been under Carlyle. Carlyle's system protects the goalie first and foremost by having the D pay more attention to defense while expecting all the forwards to have defensive contributions throughout the game. Despite the losses, I feel that the quality of scoring chances against the Leafs have drastically lowered compared to earlier in the season.

But with all that said, unless Burke wants to trade Reimer, I don't see Gus getting an extension. The team needs a veteran presence and one of Reimer and Gus are occupying that veteran spot and one of them needs to be moved to make room. I think a fair shot for either goalie would be having them play under a system where they aren't expected to make hail Mary save after hail Mary save just to keep their team in games and that's something that people have forgotten. Many goalies can have games where it seems like they stand on their head and you just can't get score on them but how many goalies can do that every game? How many goalies are put in a position where that's the kind of performance that's required for them to help their team win games? I don't see Gus coming back but despite the years as a Leaf, I wouldn't say he got a fair shot to reach his potential and contribute to the team the way I think he can. When he goes somewhere else and puts up awesome numbers, people will forget how he once played in a system that hung him out to dry and instead will complain about how he decided to become 'good' after he took the Leafs uniform off.
I can't recall many goalies that left the leafs and played lights out for another team.

In fact I can recall a lot of goalies coming to Toronto and playing amazing: Belfour, Puppa (career high .922 2.25GAA), Raycroft (most regular season wins), and Cujo.

There's only 1 goalie that had a major impact on another team (IMHO)-> Bernie!!!!

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Leafsman

I understand why Burke had ot go with Gus/Reimer and do not fault him for that but it cost this team the season and Burke CAN NOT risk another season on two young goaltenders. The risk is far too great as we have seen.

Unless there is a way to carry 3 goaltenders. Burke has to choose between signing Gus and trading Reims or keeping Reims and letting Gus walk. The trial for a future #1 has been long enough! Time to make the call and bring in a vet stopgap for a couple years!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Ugh I don't know.

On the one hand, going into next season with Gus and Reimer is terribly risky.
On the other hand, Gus has played his best hockey this year, and perhaps it's too soon to give up on him.

I would say, though, that if he were to be re-signed, it should be for one year max.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Leafsman

Is there a way to drop REimer to the Marlies next year without placing him on waivers?

This may be crazy but what are the ramifications of carrying 3 goalies?

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Rinzler

This is a crappy situation the Leafs are in now. Nothing has gone to plan whatsoever.

So here we are with a UFA goalie who at times looked good and at times looked like he should never play in the NHL ever again. We also have a young goalie that has completely lost his confidence after a concussion. Concussions are goalie season killers so I just don't know what to say about Reimer right now.

I think the off-season will go like this in order of preference (from Burke's perspective)

1. Trade for a young starting goalie like Cory Schneider & trade Rynnas or Scrivens
2. Sign a veteran UFA goalie who can carry the load for next year if Reimer struggles (Nabokov, etc) & trade Rynnas or Scrivens
3. Go with Reimer next year, bring up Scrivens (who is has a .920+ sv% and a 2.12 GAA right now on the Marlies) and cut Gustavsson loose July 1st.
4. Re-sign Gustavsson and trade Rynnas or Scrivens.

I guess #3 and 4 are up for debate, but given we have 3 AHL starter quality goalies in our minor system, we have to make a call with these guys. 2 of them are RFAs next year.

Based on everything that has gone on, I don't think they are going to sign Gustavsson for next year but you never know. The Leafs have nothing to gain by signing Gustavsson because signing him will cost us a goalie prospect and I'd rather see those guys get a shot at this point.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Drew75

Gus is gone, unfortunately.

Reimer is not going anywhere - he's having a natural sophmore slump combined with the effects from the post concussion syndrome. It took Ryan Miller a long time to get his back after the same thing.

Reims is young, still developing, and has a future as a solid goaltender in the NHL. Gustavsson will find success with another team, but will likely always be a goalie that allows that softie goal at an inopportune time.

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Stephen

I don't think Gustavsson should lose his job just because Reimer is an automatic for a top 2 goalie position, nor am I comfortable with both of them back nor do I want to see a veteran + Gustavsson that much.Truth be told, if the Leafs cut bait with both, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Is there a way to drop REimer to the Marlies next year without placing him on waivers?

This may be crazy but what are the ramifications of carrying 3 goalies?
No, Reimer would have to clear waivers (and would absolutely be claimed).

I believe you can carry three goalies, but it eats up a roster spot, and the goalie doesn't play, which isn't ideal.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote