HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/15/12 - 7:30PM EDT - Toronto VS Tampa Bay

Old
03-15-2012, 10:29 PM
I Am Beat You

vCash: 500
It's nothing new, especially now that Downie's gone. Nothing worse than a soft, boring team that doesn't win. Although at this point I wouldn't complain with a high pick. There are some intriguing names out there.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:54 PM
TBLHoser

Typical from the Canadian Broadcorping Castration
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/at...9&d=1331869952
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Facepalm.jpg‎ (110.2 KB, 41 views)

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:59 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Legendary

vCash: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Wow that's unreal. Wonder how long till they fix that.

Xenophobia Catalyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:03 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

Another game of terrible officiating. I thought the Ottawa game was bad, but this was ugly. The invisible holdling call on Stammer, not to mention the missed mugging calls as well.

How in the **** does no one on our team defend the guy? He's our star, 50 goal scorer, and it seems like Malone is the only one who will stand up to these clowns!

Overall, I like the way we have been playing. I think those who are saying we are soft aren't watching the games close enough. Hall has been throwing his boddy like a mad man, and so has Malone. Stamkos was hitting really well in this game too.

The checking has picked up, and they are playing more physical. My issue is we need more guys in that asswipe Phaneuf's face when he does that to our player. We don't need Stamkos standing up for himself every time.

The powerplay was pathetic, just dreadful. I fail to understand why Boucher kept putting the same guys out there with the same damn setup. Teddy on the left, Malone in the middle, Clark at the point, Stamkos at the right, and Marty skating around. It did nothing, at all. Yet Boucher wouldn't budge, that was irritating.

The shots we had make it seem like we had more chances, but we really didn't. I'd say the loss is due to poor calls, and a pathetic powerplay.

Sucks Tokarski gets pulled when I finally get to see him in person. Couple bad goals, but he didn't have much help. The team really wasn't doing a good job of taking away shooting lanes right in front of the net. Some guys looked lost out there.

The physicality overall is up for this team. Ever since the game went Malone went *******, we have been hitting alot more and I like to see it.

Loved Boucher having a Torts moment. I was trying to recall if Torts ever got penalized for something like that, I would have to think so. Glad to see Boucher showing some heart, that was a stupid call. The guy was a clown, and he got called out.

The playoffs aren't in our future this season gents. But I want to see us finish the year with some dignity.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:34 AM
LightningStrikes

Stamkos is such a goon!

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:59 AM
zeykshade

Glad I DVR'd it. As soon as I checked the officials I knew it would suck. Furlatt is Grade A 100% Awful. Particularly against us.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Benders Lindyhop

It's beyond me how they can lay an ass whipping on the Bruins and then turn around and play dead the very next game against the Leafs. No energy, letting guys just waltz right into the zone.

We saw that they can play physical and hard nosed. Be agressive on the forecheck and the PK. For whatever reason it looked like they just weren't interested in playing last night, let alone playing well.

And yes, Furlatt has got to go. He's a one-man Bolt wrecking crew.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
One thing we had against the Bruins...

An aggressive forecheck. They had no time to move the puck up the ice and we dictated play because of it. That did not happen against the Leafs in the first two periods.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:40 AM
LightningStrikes

It's not like we didn't have enough chances: Connolly with a one timer from Purcell in the 1st period, Thompson with a beautiful toe drag also in the 1st, Stamkos right in front of Reimer in the 2nd, Clark hit the post in the 3rd and Purcell's one timer from Malone also in the 3rd. Reimer was just great last night (34/35 = .971 SV%).

Shots were TB 35-28 TOR, hits were 31-20, blocks were 16-10.

Faceoffs were close (25-30). More alarming were our givaways (8-4), their takeaways (2-10) and well, our defense again.

Liles' goal was just a beautiful give-and-go on the PP, can't really blame anybody. Nobody's covering the far post and/or Crabb on their 2nd goal. And Gardiner's goal results from another brutal giveaway in the offensive zone (a Hedman/Lee co-production).

Plus, surprise surprise, the refs sucked.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:28 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
It's beyond me how they can lay an ass whipping on the Bruins...We saw that they can play physical and hard nosed. Be agressive on the forecheck and the PK.
As fans, we a tendency to overexaggerate both the positives and negatives. As for the Bruins game, the Bolts got multiple fortunate bounces/breaks in the Bruins game, especially early on. Yes, the Bolts had the initial jump and they gave were spurts of energetic play throughout the game, but with such a commanding lead, Boucher had the Lightning sit on their lead for much of the final two periods. The result may have been well-earned but was not completely indicative of the flow of the game.

Quote:
...and then turn around and play dead the very next game against the Leafs. No energy, letting guys just waltz right into the zone...For whatever reason it looked like they just weren't interested in playing last night, let alone playing well.[/
You don't put up 30+ shots on goal by playing "dead". Yes, the Bolts had multiple miscues in the defensive zone but you have to give credit where credit is due. Reimer was simply stellar last night and the Leafs buried their best scoring chances. I saw plenty of physicality from the Lightning forwards and defense and a very active forecheck but I also saw the team fairly sloppy in its neutral zone coverage and commit a slew of turnovers. Some nights things don't go your way offensively. This was one of those nights and the the breakdowns in coverage, turnovers and adequate-but-not-great goaltending compounded the problem. And, yes, the officiating did not help matters.

IMO, the key moment in this game was Nate Thompson failing to capitalize after completing a toe-drag in the slot on a partial 2-on-1 break with roughly 30 seconds to go in the 1st. If he scores there, it's 1-1 heading into the 2nd and the Lightning with the momentum and a fragile Toronto club wondering what they've done to offend the hockey gods. Maybe it doesn't change the outcome of the game but that was crucial, I thought, to how the teams responded coming out of the gate in the 2nd.

Perhaps Hedman's 'play' on the Gardiner goal is lingering in the minds of those claiming the Lightning were 'soft' overall tonight, just as much so the lack of a brawl after Marty was buried by Phaneuf, but I think these instances overshadowed the reality of what was, I thought, a fairly physical contest.

Last edited by nhljohnson: 03-16-2012 at 12:40 PM.
nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!

They were flat all game long, no effort, no execution, nothing was crisp or to the grade just below perfect. They were off big time.

Phaneuf is an ass. Overrated...

I dont know how you guys can post on here, maybe the majority stray away from the general board but there are caps players on there calling Hedman horrible and saying he's terrible.

Do you guys not visit that section? Some people are just flat out imbeciles and they wouldn't be able to tell a donkeys ass from their own brain. Thats how slow and feeble minded some people are on here.

Gardiners goal was filthy? Please. He chipped it around a guy and made a nice toe drag and sniped an AHL goalie against a 50% ahl team, 40% nhl team, 10% Team Alaska. Nice goal, but people need to just pull their head out of their ass sometimes and realize how idiotic they sound.

Sorry for the rant but outside of our little area right here, there are some morons.

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

The main board has an average IQ level of about 5. And is mainly consisted of blind homers and trolls. Or both.

The Caps fan who you're talking about is quite the homer and is well-known for being as such. So I wouldn't take anything he has to say with any hint of seriousness.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Tokala

Lack of effort and intensity last night. Sounded like a home game for Toronto.

Tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Bolts265

Of course...there are times when Hedman is in fact horrible, let us not forget that. He is still a work in progress.

Bolts265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
The main board has an average IQ level of about 5. And is mainly consisted of blind homers and trolls. Or both.

The Caps fan who you're talking about is quite the homer and is well-known for being as such. So I wouldn't take anything he has to say with any hint of seriousness.
Ok thanks for the degree of sanity. Thought I was the only one who thought they were complete morons.

I mean, I'd be a homer and bash everyones up and coming stars too if I had all that fire power and nothing to show for it, like the thing we won in 04 and the thing they've never won.

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:28 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stammertime91 View Post
They were flat all game long, no effort, no execution, nothing was crisp or to the grade just below perfect. They were off big time.
For stretches of play, I'd agree they were 'flat'. Particularly from the start of the 2nd until after Tokarski was pulled. I really thought the Lightning responded well after allowing the PP goal at the start of the game and, again, had they been able to capitalize on one of their chances in the 1st (especially the Thompson scoring chance), you may have a different game. Also, I thought they played fairly spirited in the 3rd period. Please note that 'responding well' and 'spirited' does not mean I think they played great or were firing on all cyclinders, but rather worked hard and well enough to secure decent opportunities to get back into the game and didn't completely mail it in. It may not count for much but it counts for something.

Quote:
...calling Hedman horrible and saying he's terrible.
He has not been his usual Hedmonster since returning from his latest injury, IMO, but, yes, this is an extreme (and stupid) claim. Certainly, his effort on the Gardiner goal will serve as Exhibit A for overstated criticism of his overall play or ability and, perhaps more judiciously, as an indicator that he's still got some growing pains to go through.

He really bit on Gardiner going wide before trying to throw a pass to a crashing forward and was made to look foolish on the toe drag. As somebody who has played defense, I can understand his thinking there although, given the relatively more vertical than horizontal positioning of Hedman to Gardiner, that it was an odd choice--not the usual positioning where you expect a desperation dive. He didn't have to try to lay Gardiner out, but pulling up to let the gap close and using his reach and stick in an attempt to disrupt Gardiner's stick-handling or force a shot-attempt that hopefully will be weak, deflected or blocked as a much safer bet.

Quote:
Gardiners goal was filthy? Please. He chipped it around a guy and made a nice toe drag and sniped an AHL goalie against a 50% ahl team, 40% nhl team, 10% Team Alaska. Nice goal, but people need to just pull their head out of their ass sometimes and realize how idiotic they sound.
If Nate Thompson had scored after pulling a quite similar move in the waning seconds of the 1st, would his effort have been lauded with similar rhetoric? My intuition says yes. As I see it, both Gardiner and Thompson players made great individual efforts and one buried the puck in the net. It happens.

Last edited by nhljohnson: 03-16-2012 at 02:33 PM.
nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:54 PM
I Am Beat You

It's not like our game against Boston was a dominant performance. Aside from early on where we took advantage of some opportunities as well as poor defense and goaltending on Boston's end, we were outshot and outplayed in a sloppy game. In terms of actual play I don't think there was much of a night and day difference between that game and the game last night.

Old
03-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Aside from early on where we took advantage of some opportunities as well as poor defense and goaltending on Boston's end, we were outshot and outplayed in a sloppy game.
That's pretty irrelevant when the score is already 4-0.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 04:39 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
That's pretty irrelevant when the score is already 4-0.
No it isn't. The scoreboard wasn't an accurate indicator of the overall play, as we were pretty crappy for the majority of the Boston game.

Old
03-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
No it isn't. The scoreboard wasn't an accurate indicator of the overall play, as we were pretty crappy for the majority of the Boston game.
Shots were 10-2 in the first period when the game was actually in doubt and the score was 4-0. Hell it was 5-0 before the Bruins got their third shot. Boston pressed while the Lightning sat back so of course the shots are going to be skewed. Do I think the Lightning dominated and played well the entire game? No but they dictated the play early when it mattered. It's natural for the team that has a big lead to let off the gas. If you think the Bruins were the better team because they outplayed the Lightning when they were well behind, agree to disagree.

Old
03-16-2012, 05:20 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Shots were 10-2 in the first period when the game was actually in doubt and the score was 4-0. Hell it was 5-0 before the Bruins got their third shot. Boston pressed while the Lightning sat back so of course the shots are going to be skewed. Do I think the Lightning dominated and played well the entire game? No but they dictated the play early when it mattered. It's natural for the team that has a big lead to let off the gas. If you think the Bruins were the better team because they outplayed the Lightning when they were well behind, agree to disagree.
I said they outplayed us for the majority of the game which is true, although neither team looked overly impressive. I understand your side, I just don't think we were that much of a different team against Toronto.

Old
03-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
I said they outplayed us for the majority of the game which is true, although neither team looked overly impressive.
I agree the Lightning didn't look like a cup contender or anything like that, just don't think the score can be ignored as to why Boston would eventually take more shots. It's like a losing team in football gaining a lot of yards because the other team is in prevent with a big lead.