HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Very interesting summer ahead

Old
03-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Maximum Cheddar

vCash: 500
Very interesting summer ahead

I am very interested to see what happens to the Leafs roster over the summer. For instance with Carlyle liking the strategy of having a full blown checking line this means that there will be a good 10 players or so battling for 6 top 6 jobs. What happens at the center position if Colborne is ready. Does this mean that we don't go after a top 6 center because we have Grabovski and Colborne. If so what happens to Bozak and Connolly if they are not good enough to be full blown checking centers. What about all the hard charging kids trying to break into the line-up. This is all in addition to Burke possibly bringing in players in trades, free agency and a high draft pick. Because of the Leafs not having players good enough defensively to play full blown checkers, these are the players I see challenging for top 6 jobs.

Kessel
Lupal
Grabovski
Bozak
Kulemin
McArthur
Colborne
Kadri
Frattin
Ashton
Connolly

11 players 6 spots. As I said this is not including free agents, trades or a high draft pick. Should be a very interesting summer.

Maximum Cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:37 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lupul-xxxxx-Kessel
xxxxx-Grabo-Kadri
Kulemin-xxxxx-Frattin
xxxxx-Steckel-Brown

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Lupal Lupol Lupul... I am waiting to see Lupil and Lupel on these boards now.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Locks
Kessel
Lupul
Grabovski

Contenders
MacArthur
Kulemin
Kadri
Frattin
Bozak

Unlikely to Return
Connolly

Minors
Colborne
Ashton

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:47 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

All I want to see this summer is.

-Draft top 5

-Get another top 6 center PLEASE. X-Grabo-Bozak-Steckel is GOOD center depth. Said top 6 center does not need to be Getzlaf or Staal, just a competent top 6 center.

-Kadri earning a full time spot in our top 9.

-Get rid of Lombardi, Armstrong, Connolly and Komisarek.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:54 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Cheddar View Post
I am very interested to see what happens to the Leafs roster over the summer. For instance with Carlyle liking the strategy of having a full blown checking line this means that there will be a good 10 players or so battling for 6 top 6 jobs. What happens at the center position if Colborne is ready. Does this mean that we don't go after a top 6 center because we have Grabovski and Colborne. If so what happens to Bozak and Connolly if they are not good enough to be full blown checking centers. What about all the hard charging kids trying to break into the line-up. This is all in addition to Burke possibly bringing in players in trades, free agency and a high draft pick. Because of the Leafs not having players good enough defensively to play full blown checkers, these are the players I see challenging for top 6 jobs.

Kessel
Lupal
Grabovski
Bozak
Kulemin
McArthur
Colborne
Kadri
Frattin
Ashton
Connolly

11 players 6 spots. As I said this is not including free agents, trades or a high draft pick. Should be a very interesting summer.
There are no UFA forwards that can play in the top 6 who will sign with the Leafs -- none. In a trade you need to give to get. Lower your expectations or you will be disappointed.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:55 PM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post

-Draft top 5

-Get another top 6 center PLEASE. X-Grabo-Bozak-Steckel is GOOD center depth. Said top 6 center does not need to be Getzlaf or Staal, just a competent top 6 center.

Just out of curiosity, do you think anyone the Leafs draft this summer will be NHL ready? I'm thinking only one, possibly 2 players in this draft will stick with their NHL teams.

My biggest fear this summer is the Nash sweepstakes. He's for sure going somewhere, but where? Burke loves the big trades, and big names. His ego is such, that he has to at least get in on the action, even if he doesn't take it all the way. I would love to see him in a Leafs uni, but the cost scares the crap out of me.

Whichever GM is successful at landing Nash will overpay dearly.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:56 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Locks
Kessel
Lupul
Grabovski

Contenders
MacArthur
Kulemin
Kadri
Frattin
Bozak

Unlikely to Return
Connolly

Minors
Colborne
Ashton
and lombardi and armstrong will vanish

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Jake Gardiner
He's everywhere!

Quote:

-Draft top 5

Id like to add to that Sign Justin Schultz, and Parise. Its realistic.

Jake Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr TML View Post
Id like to add to that Sign Justin Schultz, and Parise. Its realistic.
Parise signing in Toronto is not realistic.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:58 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
and lombardi and armstrong will vanish
So nothing will change.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:01 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:

-Draft top 5

dont get your hops up. All these players have done is let our prospects develop? this is a good thing i bet there was a reason why burke got them all out of here next year so the prospects can play the year after. You shouldn't just be given a spot, like a test, ur not just given an A, u need to earn it, these prospects havn't earned that A year and will get there chance trust me. also, i doubt Colbrone is ready enough yet, look at Giroux as a perfect example, let the prospects develop and they can become stars (look at Schenn as an example of rushing prospects)

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:02 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr TML View Post
Id like to add to that Sign Justin Schultz. Its realistic.
fixed for u bro, i think u missed the thread about Parise not wanting to sign here + he is in NJ and will prolly re-sign.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:08 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
fixed for u bro, i think u missed the thread about Parise not wanting to sign here + he is in NJ and will prolly re-sign.
INB4 "but he grew up a Leafs fan!!!!!"

If you only had two choices, where would you rather sign? A team that defied odds and is comfortably sitting in 6th set to face the underdog 3rd seed, where you started your career? Or a dismal team in the throes of despair nowhere close to playoff contention with extreme media pressure hounding you?

It's a really tough choice I'm sure

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Parise signing in Toronto is not realistic.
Give him Kovalchuk money and he seriously considers. Parise at a $6.3 caphit is pretty good.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:15 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Give him Kovalchuk money and he seriously considers. Parise at a $6.3 caphit is pretty good.
15 year term too?

Old
03-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
15 year term too?
The 15 years is key to the whole thing. When his take-home salary drops down to $1 million around year 10, and he can no longer play at a $6.3 caphit level, send him down the street to the Marlies where he can ride out the rest of his career in relative comfort.

Old
03-24-2012, 02:25 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
The 15 years is key to the whole thing. When his take-home salary drops down to $1 million around year 10, and he can no longer play at a $6.3 caphit level, send him down the street to the Marlies where he can ride out the rest of his career in relative comfort.
While I don't doubt the logic of it being possible, it's unlikely and quite frankly unprofessional. When you go into signing a contract, you should sign it without the mind that you're just going to bury the guy. It is the key, but there's no way Burke hands out that kind of deal. Personally, there's no way I'd want Parise for 15 fricken years. There's seriously not a player in the league I'd give double digit term to, it's just way too risky, especially in this market that kills players.

Old
03-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
While I don't doubt the logic of it being possible, it's unlikely and quite frankly unprofessional. When you go into signing a contract, you should sign it without the mind that you're just going to bury the guy. It is the key, but there's no way Burke hands out that kind of deal. Personally, there's no way I'd want Parise for 15 fricken years. There's seriously not a player in the league I'd give double digit term to, it's just way too risky, especially in this market that kills players.
Teams all around the league are taking advantage of contracts like that, and it's a team like the Leafs that should have pioneered that way because of how successfully wealthy they are. You need to view this less as "burying a guy" and more a "enjoy the retirement package", because when these guys are near 40 years old and they've already taken home 95% of the money owed to them, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they just outright retire at that point.

The Leafs can do things the "honourable" way, as they have been, and end up with guys like Connolly instead of Richards.. Or they could do whatever it takes to build the best possible team with the best talent available.

Old
03-24-2012, 03:14 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Should be an interesting off-season.

-we're going to add another quality prospect who can hopefully make an impact in thw next 2-3 seasons.

-we've got a new coach and lots of guys that have underperformed. New coach = clean slate, lots of our dead weight guys could be gone.

Should be very interesting!

jmart21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:55 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you think anyone the Leafs draft this summer will be NHL ready? I'm thinking only one, possibly 2 players in this draft will stick with their NHL teams.

My biggest fear this summer is the Nash sweepstakes. He's for sure going somewhere, but where? Burke loves the big trades, and big names. His ego is such, that he has to at least get in on the action, even if he doesn't take it all the way. I would love to see him in a Leafs uni, but the cost scares the crap out of me.

Whichever GM is successful at landing Nash will overpay dearly.
Yakupov - Will play in NHL next season (just too damn good)
Grigorenko - Another season in QMJHL (could make the jump, but Roy, his coach says he could use another year)
Forsberg - Season or two away (has to transition from Euro game)
Galchenyuk - Season or two away (missed a lot of development due to injury)

Dumba, Murray, Rielley - Would all be hard-pressed to crack our defense core given our depth in NHL defenseman

So to answer your question, no. But that doesn't mean much. Most of these guys would automatically vault to #1 or #2 on our top prospects and have some truly high-end upside. Would love to add Forsberg or Galchenyuk if we don't win the lottery.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Barilko14

For me, personally interested in three positions.

#1 C
#1 LD
#1 G

Not saying all three are changed, and all three may be addressed from within, but there will be turnover before next season begins.

No. 1 centre - the only way I see Bozak there again next season is if another Top 6 forward is brought in to strengthen the 2nd line. Bozak is capable of playing between Lupul and Kessel but not the ideal option.

No. 1 LD - could be Gunnar again, maybe Gardiner continues to develop and gets some chemistry with Phaneuf in the preseason. Outside chance Schenn porgesses quickly under different tutelage and Phaneuf plays the left side with Schenn on the right. IMO one of Gunnar, Schenn or Franson is gone this summer, and this move could effect who's playing with Phaneuf.

#1 G - I pray that Burke takes this opportunity this summer with Gusty being a UFA and lets him walk and addresses our weakness between the pipes. Preferably use some assets to acquire either Schneider or Bernier, or plan B sign a capable backup like Biron to mentor Reimer. IMO Giguere leaving had a big effect on Reimer's game this year.

Barilko14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:23 AM
frankthetank91

I can't wait for this summer.

All I want is:

A) Keep our pick and draft a stud.

B) Get Schultz from FA.

C) Get a number one goalie, ideally Kiprusoff or Luongo, Gus can walk Reimer can regain his form under one of them.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:42 AM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
I can't wait for this summer.

All I want is:

A) Keep our pick and draft a stud.

B) Get Schultz from FA.

C) Get a number one goalie, ideally Kiprusoff or Luongo, Gus can walk Reimer can regain his form under one of them.
Slow down cowboy. You're talkin crazy talk. Kip maybe but Luongo and his contract can stay far far far away. I'd like to see Harding on this team tbh.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:48 AM
LetzgoEggo

This summer is going to be massive for this club. BB has got a lot of decisions to make.

LetzgoEggo is offline   Reply With Quote