HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Maple Leafs need to turn page on Phil Kessel

Old
03-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Yup... it was all Kessel.

The rest of the team played their hearts out despite the play of Phil Kessel. That one win in Montreal was a terrific feat against the horrible Phil Kessel.

Give me a break.
Never said it was all his fault. I said he has sucked in most of the important games he has played for the Leafs.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Volcanologist
Used Register

Another hilarious article by the Toronto media.

yup, let's move our 24 year old top 5 scorer, he's clearly not fitting in.

just hilarious.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrLegend28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Simmons is unreadable, Cox is more balanced. He is still a good writer, he's not paid to be a Leafs cheerleader. There are other writers if you want to read homerish fluff. But the intelligent fans and I am not saying you are not one of them like to be challenged when reading Hockey.
its a ****ing sport give it a break.

MrLegend28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I just backed it up with an example that shoud be very fresh in your mind.

Our play-off chances weren't dead until recently. Over the last 16 games, we've needed wins more than ever. Kessel isn't the only one who has sucked, but he sure has saved his worst play of the season for the most important time. He did the same thing last year. It's not a coincidence.
his worst play was early in the season before the all star break, he stepped it up after that being a point per game and his +/- rating being better. Get your facts straight troll.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
How often does Kessel actually pick up a guy on the back-check? Almost never, and it's not like he can't catch most people in the league. He chooses not to back-check hard.

Every time the Leafs get into an important stretch of games, they **** the bed, and Kessel is a big part of that.

Kessel plays well when there's no pressure. That's why he was great after we were basically out of the play-off race last year, and that's why he was great untill the stretch drive this year.

As soon as things start to go wrong, he can't deal with it, and he goes into extended slumps.

He usually picks the guy up, actually. I think I might make an hour long highlight video of this one of these days to prove this. Phil's only problem is getting the puck out of the zone when it's rimmed along the boards and the defence is pressuring him.

Hmm... he seemed to be scoring in all the early season games that mattered. Or were those games all considered too easy because no one thought the Leafs were going to make the playoffs?

Remember that 5-0 win against Ottawa? That was the biggest game, without a doubt, in the season at that point. Who was the 1st star? Phil ****ing Kessel.

Kessel can't do much about secondary scoring, or the fact that he doesn't have a 1st line center. I mean, honestly... how many people can do what Kessel has, with someone like Bozak as their center? That's a huge bonus to the Leafs, that they don't need a top playmaker to get Phil the puck, he generates everything on his own.

If he's only great when we're out of it, then why is he on a cold streak right now? He was on a 7 game point streak during the first segment of the 1-11-2 run... Those were important games where he was playing really well. Who was the best Leaf during the game in Vancouver? Phil Kessel... he was playing his heart out, despite the defensive perfomances by his teammates, and lack of finish by them as well.

I mean, I could go on, and on, to debunk your arguments, but I don't have the time, nor do I feel it's worth it.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:56 AM
MrLegend28*

you know why these articles are coming out? Cause no one cares lol. You think Burke cares? He does so much for the community and so do his players he aint getting fired.

Kessel isnt getting traded. What logical fan and person wants to trade the dude with the 4th most points?

Hell, you pathetic arm gm's used to **** on Spezza, who's 3rd in points. Remember, hes overrated, his cap is so high wahh wahh.

We should rebuild like Edmonton!! They've had the #1 pick like 5 years in a row and STILL SUCK. Man, I'd loveeee to be them.

MrLegend28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Ometheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundinOurOnlyChance View Post
They're worried he doesn't sign here in 2.5 years I'm worried too, but no way in hell we trade him now.
As I said earlier; the fear from most of you is almost tangible. Imagining that he doesn't like it here and he will abandon us, and we'll be heartbroken.

So before he can break out hearts, as our fear and imagination tells us will CERTAINLY happen: "Blame him, crush him, trade him, he's the problem, we don't like him either!!!!!"

Ometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Mowerman

Quote:
Simmons is unreadable, Cox is more balanced. He is still a good writer, he's not paid to be a Leafs cheerleader. There are other writers if you want to read homerish fluff. But the intelligent fans and I am not saying you are not one of them like to be challenged when reading Hockey.
I'd have more of an intellectual challenge if I was teaching special ed.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
southpaw24

Ahh this old convo..... lol.

Yes it IS Phil Kessels fault that our goaltending and defence has been downright awful, that we cant have a decent PP AND PK its one or the other.

Seriously guys this is a team game, I dont care how much you think one player makes a difference, but it just doesnt work that way

southpaw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beleafer4

Quote:
I just backed it up with an example that shoud be very fresh in your mind.

Our play-off chances weren't dead until recently. Over the last 16 games, we've needed wins more than ever. Kessel isn't the only one who has sucked, but he sure has saved his worst play of the season for the most important time. He did the same thing last year. It's not a coincidence.
Kessel started playing poorly since two games ago. Yes, our playoff chances were done by then. Stats support me.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
Too bad Kessel can't be our #1C, #1RW, #1D and #1 goalie. I thought that's what we were getting in him when we traded for him..

Thought he was a hybrid .

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
Interesting.

Appreciate your efforts in finding that.

With that said, I think we can all agree that Kessel has matured quite a bit since his days in Boston. I mean, Burke isn't exactly a pushover, and I'm sure the ASDraft thing had quite an effect on him (despite what he says).

Also, I think Chiarelli was bluffing on a couple of things there. For example, regarding the frugality claim, he really didn't have any other option other than trading someone he just signed, and that wouldn't be an option per GM ethics.

He explicitly states that his only real option to sign Kessel was to put him on LTIR for the entire season, and he realized that would've been quite a dark cloud on Boston for other FAs so he really didn't have any other option other than to trade him.

Regarding Kessel's money demands; isn't Wade Arnott the same guy who is with Brad Richards, and had that circus going for his services this summer? I'm sure he had something to do with Kessel's $ demands.

With that said, Kessel was, again, very immature back then, and I'm not really saying that I'm brushing it aside, because it definitely plays into how you view the guy, but, at the end of the day, I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he's matured since then.

Old
03-15-2012, 10:06 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
Both Datsyuk and Toews were top 10 in points up until they got injured.
Spezza is 4th in points, I guess you would rather have him than Nash too based on 1 single year.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Captain Clutch 13

If we trade Kessel we will pretty much guranteed be getting a collection of inferior players/picks in return. I'd rather keep the first 40 goal scorer we've had in 10 years.

Captain Clutch 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Spezza is 4th in points, I guess you would rather have him than Nash too based on 1 single year.
spezza done and proven alot heck more than Nash has in his career.

Old
03-15-2012, 10:08 AM
ACC1224

Cox and Simmons aka the Flag Bearers in the Realists parade.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Spezza is over 1 career PPG. Nash is under 1 career PPG. You're grasping at straws now.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Let's see Kessel is 5th in NHL scoring meaning we don't trade him unless a player has more points than him this year. Amazing logic!

No wonder why some team's fanbases find us hard to take seriously.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:10 AM
SteveV*

Leafs fans need to "turn the page" on tired writers. The print version of Howard Berger.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Let's see Kessel is 5th in NHL scoring meaning we don't trade him unless a player has more points than him this year. Amazing logic!

No wonder why some team's fanbases find us hard to take seriously.
none of us are taking you seriously here. It only makes sense trading him if it fits the same age bracket and its an upgrade for us. Neither which is likely to happen.

Old
03-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw24 View Post
Ahh this old convo..... lol.

Yes it IS Phil Kessels fault that our goaltending and defence has been downright awful, that we cant have a decent PP AND PK its one or the other.

Seriously guys this is a team game, I dont care how much you think one player makes a difference, but it just doesnt work that way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Too bad Kessel can't be our #1C, #1RW, #1D and #1 goalie. I thought that's what we were getting in him when we traded for him..

Thought he was a hybrid .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Clutch 13 View Post
If we trade Kessel we will pretty much guranteed be getting a collection of inferior players/picks in return. I'd rather keep the first 40 goal scorer we've had in 10 years.
Bingo.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Kessel started playing poorly since two games ago. Yes, our playoff chances were done by then. Stats support me.
4 goals and -12 in the last 16 games. It that good play?

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
People who think Kessel needs to be traded are plain stupid. We need to get rid of our over PPG sniper so we can get a top 5 pick and hope to draft a guy like Kessel? Great call..
That's not the point....

I agree with Cox here, in fact, it's one of my fears for this team. We have no way in knowing (I actually kind of got called out for this, and rightfully so) whether or not Kessel will sign with us. Cox is stating a potential fact. With the state of this team and Burke wanting to make a Carlyle team, we could definitely see Kessel going. It's not about trading him to get a good player, it's about trading him so he doesn't leave for nothing. He's a UFA this time around, not an RFA, so Kessel holds the cards, not us.

Cox is not demanding he be traded, he's simply writing about the possibility. Which, to be honest, is what we should expect from a Star Leafs article when news isn't exciting. Should we trade him? Of course not. However, now is the time to either appeal to Kessel and try to convince him to stay (yes, now is the time to start, if we start the season before his contract ends, it'll be too late) or we consider plan B and see what other options we have to deal with him.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:14 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Seems like points is a major requirement for you in evaluating a player. If you are consistent, than Jason Spezza must be better than 98% of players in the NHL, better than Toews and Datysuk.

Everytime Kessel is discussed you or someone else will readily cite he is 5th in NHL points, you do realize points only tell part of the story when evaluating a player's value.
Wouldn't that depend on the role they are supposed to play on the team?
The expectation of Kessel is that he will score goals and generate offense. The evidence that he has met that expectation is the fact that he is 5th in the NHL in points.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Wouldn't that depend on the role they are supposed to play on the team?
The expectation of Kessel is that he will score goals and generate offense. The evidence that he has met that expectation is the fact that he is 5th in the NHL in points.
Couldn't of said it better myself.

Quoted for truth.