HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Help with Lotus Notes

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2012, 09:22 AM
  #1
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,425
vCash: 500
Help with Lotus Notes

I figure I'm not the only government cog on this board that's stuck using Lotus Notes, so I figure this is the best place to ask this question.

In Lotus Notes under 'Stationery', I have a bunch of form emails that I have created in response to the most common questions & concerns that I need to reply to. The problem is that if I reply to the email with the stationery, I lose the email thread that preceded it (unless I take the stationery, and copy & paste it into my reply - and there must be a less cumbersome way to do this).

Is there a "reply with stationery" option that I'm not seeing, that allows me to select from my list of form emails, and have it automatically inserted as my reply, or would that make too much sense?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:40 AM
  #2
Mercurial
#lalala
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,178
vCash: 500
What version?

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:01 AM
  #3
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
What version?
We use 8.5.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:26 AM
  #4
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I figure I'm not the only government cog on this board that's stuck using Lotus Notes, so I figure this is the best place to ask this question.

In Lotus Notes under 'Stationery', I have a bunch of form emails that I have created in response to the most common questions & concerns that I need to reply to. The problem is that if I reply to the email with the stationery, I lose the email thread that preceded it (unless I take the stationery, and copy & paste it into my reply - and there must be a less cumbersome way to do this).

Is there a "reply with stationery" option that I'm not seeing, that allows me to select from my list of form emails, and have it automatically inserted as my reply, or would that make too much sense?
I don't use lotus, but could you set up each stationary as a saved signature block? That's what I do in Outlook.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:33 AM
  #5
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis
 
Tap on the Ankle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,583
vCash: 500
Oh man I used to use this questionable software when I had a student job with Health Canada a few years back. Wish I could help you but I'm pretty sure I blocked all those nightmares out of my mind.

Tap on the Ankle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:37 AM
  #6
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
I don't use lotus, but could you set up each stationary as a saved signature block? That's what I do in Outlook.
It's a smart workaround, but Lotus seems to only allow one signature block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap on the Ankle View Post
Oh man I used to use this questionable software when I had a student job with Health Canada a few years back. Wish I could help you but I'm pretty sure I blocked all those nightmares out of my mind.
It's slowly getting better here at HC - PeopleSoft has replaced ILAM, and IE6 is no longer the default browser. We've finally joined the 90s

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:02 AM
  #7
Mercurial
#lalala
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,178
vCash: 500
I've been looking around in mine, doesn't look like it's possible. You can insert a signature, and choose them from files on disk, but that's probably no different from copy-pasting the "stationary".

Someone here was asking the same question in the comments.
http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/notestip...ument&comments

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:20 AM
  #8
Laoghaire
Registered User
 
Laoghaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,326
vCash: 500
May I suggest a time machine to 1997 when Lotus Notes was relevant?

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:47 AM
  #9
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
May I suggest a time machine to 1997 when Lotus Notes was relevant?
I'll pass this on to my manager

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:24 PM
  #10
Mr_Squeaks
Poor Impulse Control
 
Mr_Squeaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Everything in Notes is field-based, including a mail message's (ie. a Notes document's) inclusion and position within a thread. If you felt like writing an agent and spending a little more time than it's worth, you could probably create a message from the stationary, save it as draft, update the thread ID (is it $TUA?) field to the same as the messages already in the thread, set the draft doc as a Response doc to the message you're replying to and then proceed as normal (open the draft, add anything you want and send it).

Kind of a pain in the butt considering you'd want to do it more than once...

It's obviously possible to semi-automate this approach, but making design changes to a Notes mail database can be a pain in the best case - you'd also have to make sure the server doesn't refresh the design on you and remove your new features...

Mr_Squeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
  #11
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Squeaks View Post
Everything in Notes is field-based, including a mail message's (ie. a Notes document's) inclusion and position within a thread. If you felt like writing an agent and spending a little more time than it's worth, you could probably create a message from the stationary, save it as draft, update the thread ID (is it $TUA?) field to the same as the messages already in the thread, set the draft doc as a Response doc to the message you're replying to and then proceed as normal (open the draft, add anything you want and send it).

Kind of a pain in the butt considering you'd want to do it more than once...

It's obviously possible to semi-automate this approach, but making design changes to a Notes mail database can be a pain in the best case - you'd also have to make sure the server doesn't refresh the design on you and remove your new features...
Would the workstations HC even let him do that considering he likely doesn't have an admin account?

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:03 PM
  #12
Mr_Squeaks
Poor Impulse Control
 
Mr_Squeaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Would the workstations HC even let him do that considering he likely doesn't have an admin account?
At the very least it could be done using @Formula in a custom smart-icon... but my point was more along the lines of "it's probably not worth it, but I can't resist answering a Lotus Notes question when it magically appears..."

Mr_Squeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:05 PM
  #13
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Squeaks View Post
At the very least it could be done using @Formula in a custom smart-icon... but my point was more along the lines of "it's probably not worth it, but I can't resist answering a Lotus Notes question when it magically appears..."
yeah, I suppose it's pretty rare these days...

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:11 PM
  #14
Mr_Squeaks
Poor Impulse Control
 
Mr_Squeaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
yeah, I suppose it's pretty rare these days...
15 years of Notes development. My resume reads like a pail of milk with a turd in it. I'll take what I can get.

Mr_Squeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.