HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is the crowd so quiet at Rogers Arena?

View Poll Results: Why is the crowd so quiet at Rogers Arena?
wrong people have tickets 91 65.00%
expectations are too high 21 15.00%
that's just Vancouver 28 20.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

vCash: 500
Why is the crowd so quiet at Rogers Arena?

This is the current Team 1040 poll question. I find it interesting because before the Jets game, Bieksa didn't want to go on record when commenting on this. But after, he admitted that sometimes the Canucks need a boost in their own building and they just don't get it from the fan base. Thoughts?

My opinion: I think the answer is two prongred. First, it's the crowd. You have a lot of corporate people or an older crowd that just don't seem to make noise. I've heard a faint "Go Canucks Go" chant starting in the background and tried to chime in, but it only lasts so long when nobody around you joins. Secondly, I don't think Canucks fans are impressed with a win over Phoenix anymore. We have one thing in mind: the Stanley Cup. It's kind of ironic though, when we use that as an excuse of why the Canucks don't give 100% effort every night many fans aren't that accepting.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:00 AM
skg

It's been like this for years. Sadly, it's a more corporate white collar crowd. Blue collar, working class fans who tend to be more boisterous have been priced out of games. It also dEpends on the team
we're playing. Games against rivals will be much louder.

skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

It's also management at Rogers.

When my dad used to take me to the Pacific Coliseum it was a totally different crowd especially the nosebleeds. We also had 16th row blue line seasons tickets at Pacific Coliseum and most of the seats around ours would have different people each game obviously they were gifted them.

I used to get drunk and yell and never had a problem other then some parents giving me the evil eye. Try that in Rogers and you'd be kicked out in a heartbeat.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:51 AM
express

you have enough non-suit people to be able to make some noise.

I think more than anything it's expectations. You can even see it in the playoffs.

I remember In the Nonis years even in the first round, the crowd would be rockin'... the last couple of early rounds have been much quieter.

Especially now that we're more or less guaranteed a 2nd place finish, I'm not that shocked it isn't super loud at the arena these days.

express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:53 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
It's been like this for years. Sadly, it's a more corporate white collar crowd. Blue collar, working class fans who tend to be more boisterous have been priced out of games. It also dEpends on the team
This. It's so obvious I'm surprised it's a question.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:09 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
Exactly this, sadly.

03-15-2012, 10:09 AM
express

I don't know if i buy the corporate crowd argument.

Calgary and and Toronto are also very corporate but have better atmosphere in their buildings - and they have worse teams.

express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:14 AM
dhabums*

Sounds like you guys should start buying tickets.

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Reign Nateo

Toronto fans: Die hards that have been fans for generations, regardless of the colour of their collars.

Calgary: A lot of "new wealth" and money comes from oil and gas, guys with the money are still pretty down to Earth and rowdy.

Vancouver: Canucks have only been a cool ticket for the last 10 years or so, the rich decided to start coming when they started getting to be a good team... They were nowhere to be found in the Dark Ages.

Been to games in both Calgary and Vancouver frequently. The lower bowl in Calgary is all rowdies in Flames jerseys no matter what their bank account says. They get rich in oil and gas, which is dominated by regular dudes. In Vancouver the people that can afford the seats try to look cool like they're at a Lakers game until the Canucks score or win. They'll be gone again if the Canucks ever stop being the cool thing to do again.

It's just a perfect storm of bourgeois.

That's part of it, but also, Rogers Centre is heavily 'policed' and the Saddledome is a little more relaxed. Heroin beers and all...

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:31 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Toronto fans: Die hards that have been fans for generations, regardless of the colour of their collars.

Calgary: A lot of "new wealth" and money comes from oil and gas, guys with the money are still pretty down to Earth and rowdy.

Vancouver: Canucks have only been a cool ticket for the last 10 years, the rich decided to start coming when they started getting to be a good team... They were nowhere to be found in the Dark Ages.

Been to games in both Calgary and Vancouver frequently. The lower bowl in Calgary is all rowdies in Flames jerseys no matter what their bank account says. They get rich in oil and gas, which is dominated by regular dudes. In Vancouver the peole that can afford the seats try to look cool like they're at a Lakers game until the Canucks score or win. They'll be gone again if the Canucks ever stop being the cool thing to do again.

It's just a perfect storm of bourgeois.
Bingo. I was just going to put this. New, young wealth in Cowtown. Still rowdy.

Basically, Canucks need to build a 25,000 seat arena and then you'll get both, the young rowdies up top in the nosebleeds, and the corporates down below.

B-rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Intangibos

vCash: 50
Doesn't Rogers have terrible sound also? Isn't it way louder there than it sounds on TV?

Intangibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
gongshowmonkey

corporate crowd, that is tired from work and its dark and rainy

who wouldn't be tired

gongshowmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyggZagg View Post
Doesn't Rogers have terrible sound also? Isn't it way louder there than it sounds on TV?
I believe that's the TV broadcast issue as opposed to the actual arena.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Free Kassian

Canucks games are a social event. It's a place to 'be seen,' so many people filling the seats aren't really into hockey anyway.

Free Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:06 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by express View Post

Calgary and and Toronto are also very corporate but have better atmosphere in their buildings - and they have worse teams.
Not at all IMO. As much flack as Rogers Arena gets, it's still louder than Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa and Edmonton(but their team sucks so it's not fair to include them, they are very loud in the playoffs). Still don't know why many of you think Calgary is loud. It's always dead silent. Even their fans are always complaining about it. It was loud back in 04' though.

I think Bieksa should concentrate on his play on the ice rather than worrying about the fans. Aren't these the same players saying they are waiting until games that matter? Why should the fans be at their 100% when the team is clearly not. And the Canucks have ridiculously high ticket prices. Second to Toronto I believe. They are pretty much asking for a corporate crowd and then complain that it's too quiet? Sorry, you can't have your cake and eat it too in this case.

While I say that, the few games I go to a year I cheer my ass off. Some of the people that are quiet ARE wearing Canuck jerseys but they always seem to be really watching the game and analyzing it. That's great but you're at the game and a lot of that in-arena experience should be about fan noise so would it hurt to cheer and join in a chant once in a while?

Anyways his comments definitely bothered me. It's silly on his part to compare a blue collar town that just got their team back to a city that has had their team for 40 years. We'll see how loud Winnipeg is in 10 years. Reverse positions and I'm sure Vancouver would be just as loud anyway. And even if RA is quiet, the support the Canucks get is almost unmatchable. They should appreciate that instead of complaining about things that a lot of real Canuck fans don't have control over like suits.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by express View Post

Calgary has become pretty quiet these days. They used to be the loudest building out there, like what the Jets have now, but since they've fizzled out the last five years or so it's become as bad as it is here.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Zombotron
Ready for Launch

Could partially be because we're just too nice. Always have been.

Zombotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:13 AM
YogiCanucks

Don't buy the corp. arguement at all. We have a TON of hardcore fans in the arena but they all just want to watch the game.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:24 AM
yapperface
#EmbraceTheHate

Is there any way to actually fix this if the organization was so inclined? Send a memo to Rogers Arena security to loosen up, for starters?

I think it's all about team culture. In Winnipeg any suit who doesn't cheer is gonna get funny looks.

yapperface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Wellwood You

Fatigue/Expectations
When fans have the mentality of "third round or bust", it's hard to get up for most regular season games anymore. The crowds in the playoffs are much better, which isn't surprising for fans cheering on a team who in the past five years have 4 Division Titles, 1 Presidents Trophy, 3 Second Round Exits and a SCF appearance.

Culture
People point to fans in Montreal and Nashville as examples of great crowds. They have one thing that Vancouver doesn't, which is a culture of cheering. Montreal is still very "old world", and with that comes a strong background in soccer. They've been raised in a completely different culture where vocal support is expected and organic. Ask the Southsiders what their main hurdle is at Whitecaps games and the answer would be that Vancouverites aren't engrained in that type of supporter culture...yet.

Nashville (and other American cities) benefit from Americans learning a supporter culture through college sports. NCAA football is full of traditional songs and chants and you can see how Predators fans have tried to import a similar environment.

Canadians love their hockey, but for the most part, we are very reserved. Vancouver 2010 was hailed as a breakout for Canada as a whole, in that prior to the Games, Canadians weren't the type to vocally take to the streets and show their pride.

In-arena "entertainment"
This is two pronged. The first links to the culture bit, as most Canucks fans are conditioned to follow the big, bright, Jumbotron. "Clap your hands together!" "Make some noise!" "Go Canucks Go!". Between these three commands, the "Woo!" after goals and "Luuuu" after saves, 95% of fan interaction at Canucks games have been accounted for.

Any organic chants or cheers deviating from the above never have a chance of succeeding because of the music being blasted through the speakers during breaks in play. I understand that Aquilini has bills to pay and we'll have to deal with arena announcements and sponsor messages/ads in between whistles. From first hand experience, however, most crowd interaction isn't killed by these messages, but by some stupid song being played between the announcement and the puck drop.

A personal anecdote, I've attended 3 VAN/CHI playoff games since Patty Kane's cab incident. On a few occasions, I've tried to start a "20 Cents" or "Where's my change" chant to varying degrees of success. By the time one section understands and joins in, it gets drowned out by Dynamite or something or another. Organic chants take time to make their way through the crowd. Right now, the window of opportunity is way too small.

Wellwood You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:29 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
Could partially be because we're just too nice. Always have been.
I agree. I voted for "just the way we are".

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:36 AM
*Injektilo

Funny, I was thinking of starting a thread about this topic after reading this blog post, but I thought it would get locked up for not being thread-worthy.

The cliff notes of the blog post is that the author did the Whitecaps-Impact/Canucks-Habs double-header last Saturday, and was compelled to talk about the difference in the crowd atmosphere and how it is managed by the buildings (and essentially, he much preferred the atmosphere at the Whitecaps game). Here's a key quote in regards to Rogers Arena:

Quote:
When the puck dropped at Rogers Arena, and the canned music was mercifully cut off, the stadium was once again quiet, the fans reduced to spectators. When the Whitecaps kicked off at BC Place, the fans cheered even louder. The Southsiders were a sea of scarves belting out Boundary Road to a John Denver tune. There was life in the building that the Canucks, knowingly or not, had suppressed in theirs.

It was a theme that continued throughout the games. The Canucks didnít allow dead air. Either you were watching the game, or you were paying attention to their message. The Whitecaps used stoppages in play sparingly to plug their sponsors, but for most of the game, live ball or dead, you could hear the crowd.
I think that he raises a very good point. What if the atmosphere sucks at Rogers Arena not because of the type of crowd that goes to the games, but because the building managment stifles any opportunity for the fans to get engaged with the game? If they layed off with the loud music in between breaks in play, would we find that less was actually more when it comes to making the crowd more lively?

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:36 AM
AvantiCanada*

C.R.E.A.M

Most loud and rowdy fans can't afford tickets. They may afford a game or two a year. The vast majority of people that go to games are business people or well to do people who literally stare down people that cheer to loud, its uncouth after all!

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Wellwood You

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
Still don't know why many of you think Calgary is loud. It's always dead silent. Even their fans are always complaining about it. It was loud back in 04' though.
It was loud in '04 because that was the first time in 15 years that they've gotten past the 1st Round.

Wellwood You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:40 AM
luongo321

They think they're too cool to cheer.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote