HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Why is the crowd so quiet at Rogers Arena?

View Poll Results: Why is the crowd so quiet at Rogers Arena?
wrong people have tickets 91 65.00%
expectations are too high 21 15.00%
that's just Vancouver 28 20.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Kassassin
#TeamSchneider

vCash: 500
Meh I blame some of the RA hosts. Some are more lenient than others when you're cheering for the team.

Kassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:57 AM
Shareefruck

Off-topic, but....

I understand how people want the atmosphere to be amazing and buzzing, but to be honest, it kind of bothers me that as a hockey fan, people will be upset at you if you just sit there and watch the game. I just feel like a complete tool when I kind of feel obligated to go along with and participate in all that extracurricular stuff. It's kind of an unnatural thing for me.

My first inclination at hockey games is always to tell people to sit down and stop making so many distracting noises because I'm trying to focus on the game.

Loud, excited fans are great hearing them from a distance, but up close, those guys are usually idiotic and unbearable, IMO.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Slenke

Would this be better? Or would you get kicked out head first?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Jp7nq7w#t=216s

Slenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Bougieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slenke View Post
Would this be better? Or would you get kicked out head first?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Jp7nq7w#t=216s
It's seriously my fantasy to see a hockey game with fans that are that enthusiastic and supportive of their team. But if I'm lucky enough to one day be in our arena when a stanley cup winning goal for the Canucks is scored, I will be

Too bad I have to wait and be lucky enough for a once in a lifetime moment, when those fans can enjoy stuff like that probably every game.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:15 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
It's seriously my fantasy to see a hockey game with fans that are that enthusiastic and supportive of their team. But if I'm lucky enough to one day be in our arena when a stanley cup winning goal for the Canucks is scored, I will be

Too bad I have to wait and be lucky enough for a once in a lifetime moment, when those fans can enjoy stuff like that probably every game.
Honestly, Canada at the Olympics was that moment.

Also, I've been a soccer game in Barcelona (vs. rivals Real Madrid). It is actually kind of scary to be in that environment, people were throwing flares at each other, crazy fights, armored cops everywhere and kind of not having control all the time.

DJOpus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Off-topic, but....

I understand how people want the atmosphere to be amazing and buzzing, but to be honest, it kind of bothers me that as a hockey fan, people will be upset at you if you just sit there and watch the game. I just feel like a complete tool when I kind of feel obligated to go along with and participate in all that extracurricular stuff. It's kind of an unnatural thing for me.

My first inclination at hockey games is always to tell people to sit down and stop making so many distracting noises because I'm trying to focus on the game.

Loud, excited fans are great hearing them from a distance, but up close, those guys are usually idiotic and unbearable, IMO.
I tend to agree but I think you can have it both ways. The drunk idiots making noise all game aren't what make for a good crowd, it's cheering for hits, yelling at refs, and chants that make the difference in game imo. I think you can watch the game and still participate in those things.

We need some good chants to keep the crowd involved during stretches of inactivity. "Hey Juice, can you here us?" or some **** like that. I don't know how you go about organizing that or coming up with better stuff then I got, but that's really what we need imo. That way when a big hit comes, or it's time to give it to the refs, the crowd is still involved.

Go Canucks Go is not a great chant imo

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I tend to agree but I think you can have it both ways. The drunk idiots making noise all game aren't what make for a good crowd, it's cheering for hits, yelling at refs, and chants that make the difference in game imo. I think you can watch the game and still participate in those things.

We need some good chants to keep the crowd involved during stretches of inactivity. "Hey Juice, can you here us?" or some **** like that. I don't know how you go about organizing that or coming up with better stuff then I got, but that's really what we need imo. That way when a big hit comes, or it's time to give it to the refs, the crowd is still involved.

Go Canucks Go is not a great chant imo
How about "Shots, Shots, shots, shots...."

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
How about "Shots, Shots, shots, shots...."
Honestly... I love it It's easy to yell and the team would like it I think. Hopefully, it would get it out of the people who love to yell "shoot" system too

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:55 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Off-topic, but....

So you're the type of fan who takes it out on other people because they can't concentrate in an arena with 18,000 other fans. Well done. I'd say work on your concentration so you can zone out the noise.

I mean, we all despise obnoxious drunks, but it's fun supporting the team and making some noise.

I remember going to one of the SCF Away games at Roger's arena and one guy had a vuvuzela horn thinger and he was using it. Then some guy about 50 feet away starts swearing/yelling at him to stop using it. Stood up and pretty much wanted to fight the guy with the horn. It was so pathetic. He finally sat down when the horn-blower's massive friend stood up. Unless people are drunk/obnoxious, it's pretty sad to make people feel bad about cheering. The last thing someone should feel in an arena is uncomfortable for cheering.

Last edited by luongo321: 03-19-2012 at 05:00 PM.
luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:07 PM
neksys

I hate this whole "Oh, its the suits" argument. I see plenty of "suits" cheering their nuts off, just like I see plenty of folks in the corner nosebleeds staying quiet and throwing dirty glances at the guys trying to start the wave.

I've gone to games in all sections of the arena. At the same time my own circumstances have changed - back in the day it was the cheapest seats I could get because I was a student, working part time labour. Now I have a good job and wear a suit to work, and I can afford nicer seats. The amount of crowd noise (or lack thereof) is the same in every area of the rink.

Its a type of snobbery to tell tales like "Once I sat in the club seats and no one looked up from their phones ONCE! They yelled at me when I clapped! All the true fans are working class!"

Maybe its a Vancouver thing, but its not a money thing. Lets also not forget that many of the "working class" folks I know are making buckets of cash - more than me even though I wear a suit.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
So you're the type of fan who takes it out on other people because they can't concentrate in an arena with 18,000 other fans. Well done. I'd say work on your concentration so you can zone out the noise.

I mean, we all despise obnoxious drunks, but it's fun supporting the team and making some noise.

I remember going to one of the SCF Away games at Roger's arena and one guy had a vuvuzela horn thinger and he was using it. Then some guy about 50 feet away starts swearing/yelling at him to stop using it. Stood up and pretty much wanted to fight the guy with the horn. It was so pathetic. He finally sat down when the horn-blower's massive friend stood up. Unless people are drunk/obnoxious, it's pretty sad to make people feel bad about cheering. The last thing someone should feel in an arena is uncomfortable for cheering.
Way to be smug and overly critical about how someone else feels about something just because they don't align with how you feel.

The "yelling at fans for cheering" bit was clearly a bit of a joke-- I would never want to actually do that because people are just trying to have a good time. However, when games are frustrating or intense, my natural inclination is often to feel that way and be annoyed by those people. If I were to act purely selfishly, that's what I'd feel like doing, is all I'm saying.

It's not about concentration, it's about enjoying the experience without having to be annoyed and distracted by ADD fans who *****-and-moan at every play/call that doesn't go their way. I don't find it to be a fun experience joining into things like that, yelling "shooooooott" or commenting on every little thing as the games go on. It's fine that others do it, they should, but as someone who just wants to enjoy and experience the games, I'm just saying it kind of bothers me that I'd get kind of vilified for having this kind of approach to watching games and pressured into feeling obligated to join into things like this. It's not a big deal, but this was more of a "I know this is crazy, but if I'm being honest, I kind of feel this way" comment rather than a "Blargh, you guys should all be like me instead!" comment.

It's just a bit of an unpopular opinion I have about hockey. I like how the atmosphere is from far away, but I hate having to listen to it or being a part of it up close-- if we're just talking about relate-able cheering, whoaa-ing at huge events and groaning at obvious missed calls and such, that's a different story, I do that all the time, but in my experience, I don't think I've ever seen a game with a group of a people where it was simply that-- The situation always comes with a whole lot of unbearable annoyance drowning out some of my enjoyment of the games.

Sometimes during playoffs, I just flat out don't like watching hockey with other people for these reasons. I'm sure SOME people can relate to this.

Just as sort of an aside, if I were to take it one step further, I might just flat out say that in general, I don't enjoy being around vocal hockey fans who have a running commentary as they watch a game-- If it were up to me, people would ominously stare at hockey games watching every moment intently and not making a peep before suddenly erupting in deafening bursts of cheers or groans whenever something significant happens. I would just get rid of all the "Hey come'on everybody, let's make some noise! AAAAHHHHHH" stuff altogether (unless we're just talking about right at the introduction of the games). Crazy, I know, but I think you can have great atmosphere without that. Alot of it is just... fake... noise for the sake of noise.

Just a bit of a pet peeve and random thought of mine. Just be glad Rogers Arena isn't filled with guys like me, I guess.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-21-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old
03-20-2012, 05:37 PM
CanucksBen

Its not that quiet compared to some, and I don't think its the fans fault. I mean at road games I can hear Canucks chants and see tonnes of blue and green in the crowd, simply because they are real fans who follow around the team, insteaed of suits who come to games to impress clients. I hope the trend dies down.

CanucksBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:14 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksBen View Post
Its not that quiet compared to some, and I don't think its the fans fault. I mean at road games I can hear Canucks chants and see tonnes of blue and green in the crowd, simply because they are real fans who follow around the team, insteaed of suits who come to games to impress clients. I hope the trend dies down.
Upper bowl where the 'real' fans sit is just as quiet as the lower bowl.

Many other cities 'suits' (Montreal) make noise...

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Cromulence
Up and at them!

Quote:

It's just a bit of an unpopular opinion I have about hockey. I like how the atmosphere is from far away, but I hate having to listen to it or being a part of it up close-- if we're just talking about relate-able cheering, whoaa-ing at huge events and groaning at obvious missed calls and such, that's a different story, I do that all the time, but in my experience, I don't think I've ever seen a game with a group of a people where it was simply that-- The situation always comes with a whole lot of unbearable annoyance drowning out some of my enjoyment of the games.

Sometimes during playoffs, I just flat out don't like watching hockey with other people for these reasons. I'm sure SOME people can relate to this.

Just as sort of an aside, if I were to take it one step further, I might just flat out say that in general, I don't enjoy being around vocal hockey fans who have a running commentary as they watch a game-- If it were up to me, people would ominously stare at hockey games watching every moment intently and not making a peep before suddenly erupting in deafening bursts of cheers or groans whenever something significant happens. I would just get rid of all the "Hey come'on everybody, let's make some noise! AAAAHHHHHH" stuff altogether (unless we're just talking about right at the introduction of the games). Crazy, I know, but I think you can have great atmosphere without that. Alot of it is just... fake... noise for the sake of noise.

Just a bit of a pet peeve and random thought of mine. Just be glad I'm not in charge of hockey games, I guess.
FWIW I agree with you. I want to be able to watch the hockey game. I watched most of the playoffs by myself so i could really concentrate rather than sitting in a big social group. Some people really enjoy the social aspect of hockey but I want to watch the damn game.

Obviously many other people feel differently so more power to them but I'm a huge Canucks fan and I don't scream my head off at games. Some drunk ass screaming his head off and getting up for beer in the middle of power plays is not a better fan than me because he yells.

I was at a game years ago where some ass behind me literally screamed into my ear non-stop for 3 hours. Not even words. Just "wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" He was just doing it to be an ass. Then he talked about how everyone must hate sitting around him. He was there with his kid so every time the ushers talked to him he said "don't ruin it for my kid" and went back to screaming. Noone should have to put up with that type of thing. Eventually we got moved rather than ejecting him but if Rogers Arena is doing a better job policing that then good.

I was also at that 4 OT game in 2007. A lot of the people around me left because they stopped serving alchohol mid-way through the third. They left GM Place to go watch the game at a bar and drink.

Cromulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:57 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

I'd rather be around quiet but knowledgeable fans than people who scream enthusiastically when their home team ices a puck on an errant pass.

"THIS close, Bubba!"

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:39 PM
AlexandreBurrows

Option 4, the music. Do you really expect people to get pumped up with Sweet Caroline or Dynomite, that club song for 14 year old girls.

AlexandreBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:46 AM
Shareefruck

They shouldn't have a radio-friendly DJ playing popular hits in the first place, IMO. A set soundtrack to up the atmosphere, sure, but the way it is now all looks very bush-league, IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulence View Post
FWIW I agree with you. I want to be able to watch the hockey game. I watched most of the playoffs by myself so i could really concentrate rather than sitting in a big social group. Some people really enjoy the social aspect of hockey but I want to watch the damn game.

Obviously many other people feel differently so more power to them but I'm a huge Canucks fan and I don't scream my head off at games. Some drunk ass screaming his head off and getting up for beer in the middle of power plays is not a better fan than me because he yells.

I was at a game years ago where some ass behind me literally screamed into my ear non-stop for 3 hours. Not even words. Just "wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" He was just doing it to be an ass. Then he talked about how everyone must hate sitting around him. He was there with his kid so every time the ushers talked to him he said "don't ruin it for my kid" and went back to screaming. Noone should have to put up with that type of thing. Eventually we got moved rather than ejecting him but if Rogers Arena is doing a better job policing that then good.

I was also at that 4 OT game in 2007. A lot of the people around me left because they stopped serving alchohol mid-way through the third. They left GM Place to go watch the game at a bar and drink.
It really bothers me that hockey is more of a social event than anything else for..... possibly a sizeable majority of the people who make up the fans in Vancouver. On top of that, it seems like people view you as less of a fan if you don't go along with some of the more superficial aspects of the game. Seems all backwards to me.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-21-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old
03-21-2012, 01:14 AM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Way to be smug and overly critical about how someone else feels about something just because they don't align with how you feel.

The "yelling at fans for cheering" bit was clearly a bit of a joke-- I would never want to actually do that because people are just trying to have a good time. However, when games are frustrating or intense, my natural inclination is often to feel that way and be annoyed by those people. If I were to act purely selfishly, that's what I'd feel like doing, is all I'm saying.

It's not about concentration, it's about enjoying the experience without having to be annoyed and distracted by ADD fans who *****-and-moan at every play/call that doesn't go their way. I don't find it to be a fun experience joining into things like that, yelling "shooooooott" or commenting on every little thing as the games go on. It's fine that others do it, they should, but as someone who just wants to enjoy and experience the games, I'm just saying it kind of bothers me that I'd get kind of vilified for having this kind of approach to watching games and pressured into feeling obligated to join into things like this. It's not a big deal, but this was more of a "I know this is crazy, but if I'm being honest, I kind of feel this way" comment rather than a "Blargh, you guys should all be like me instead!" comment.

Just a bit of a pet peeve and random thought of mine. Just be glad Rogers Arena isn't filled with guys like me, I guess.
See my earlier post. For me, the magic of being at a game is the atmosphere provided by the crowd. I can only wish that the supporter culture in soccer existed in hockey. If everyone just sits on their hands and concentrates on watching, I say best to watch it at home and save your money.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
See my earlier post. For me, the magic of being at a game is the atmosphere provided by the crowd. I can only wish that the supporter culture in soccer existed in hockey. If everyone just sits on their hands and concentrates on watching, I say best to watch it at home and save your money.
Oh I understand that if fans were all like me, the atmosphere wouldn't be much. Still though, I enjoy seeing hockey live in person and it's definitely a bit frustrating to me that I can't do that without feeling guilty about not "contributing" to the atmosphere. I sort of feel like the magic of being at a game should be just soaking in the intensity of the game itself. Great atmosphere is nice, but it's really just icing, isn't it?

I guess I'm just going in circles with this-- I don't have any argument in particular, it's just sort of how I feel about it.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-21-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old
03-21-2012, 02:03 AM
KISSland

I've been to about 15 or so games.. And when I first started going to games I would be as loud as I could possibly be without being annoying. As the time went on I couldn't afford as many games as I wanted to. And as that was happening I notice the decline in enthusiastic fans. I remember getting the whole crowd cheering Go Canucks Go one game, it was probably one of my favorite hockey moments because a couple minutes later we scored(was against the Habs, but still.) But then now... I went to the game a couple weeks ago and this little girl was sitting next to me. She reminded me of how I was being all excited, chanting, just having fun(I then found out by her dad that it was her first game,) when I first went to games, but the crowd was so dead.. I started a chant and maybe about 20 people were going for it.. The kid next to me was chanting like crazy, but it died down as fast it started.

What I'm trying to say is as the tickets get more and more expensive the less likely actual fans show up. There's a lot of corporate thugs that show up in suits or people that go there for what ever reason(gift, etc.)

The only time it gets loud is if we're facing a rivalry, or the leafs, habs are in town, or during the playoffs(for the first bit where it again dies down..)

When I buy a ticket, I'm there for the full atmosphere, that means fans chanting, booing, luuing, and enjoying themselves. Not some library.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote