HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Why is the crowd so quiet at Rogers Arena?

View Poll Results: Why is the crowd so quiet at Rogers Arena?
wrong people have tickets 91 65.00%
expectations are too high 21 15.00%
that's just Vancouver 28 20.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-15-2012, 12:37 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
I get to one or two games a year, I cheer....but not like the NFL fans who cheer just to make noise.

When you spend your money on what is likely your only opportunity to watch a live NHL game a year I often find myself in extreme focus on the ice...might not cheer as loudly, but its because Im intensely focussed on what is happening.

I always lose my voice too, so I must be cheering loud enough.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Awesome Sauce

I really don't think it all boils down to corporate fans. There are definitely a lot of suits in the crowd, but they are not a large fraction at all. The number of people wearing jerseys is way bigger. I really think it is a Vancouver thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Don't buy the corp. arguement at all. We have a TON of hardcore fans in the arena but they all just want to watch the game.
This is what I would say too. Canucks fans are very tuned in to the play, almost "too" into it. By that I mean I often witness rowdier people get shushed by people just sitting intently at what is going on. Also I find that the crowd will often make a lot of noise at certain parts of the game that other crowds might not, such as shots that weren't really good scoring chances, or "Luuuuuu" saves that were not that difficult to make, because they are spontaneously reacting to the play and releasing built-up emotion

Edit: don't even get me started on the in-arena entertainment. Pacific Coliseum has got way better activities and better music by an infinite margin. Seriously, Rogers Arena probably plays the worst music in the league.

Last edited by Awesome Sauce: 03-15-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: edited to add about the in-arena entertainment
Awesome Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:44 PM
yapperface
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
That's the thing - I don't really like rock music. More of a dj guy, and not the type of dj's that would play at Rogers.

So for me I would've far preferred it if they had designed the building to be loud - and as the arena was built with the Canucks in mind, I don't that that's an unreasonable preference.

A great example of a stadium built for volume is CenturyLink field in Seattle. If they had built the Rog along similar lines it would've made Canucks games far more enjoyable.
Yeah, many buildings of the same vintage are built that way. United Center, e.g. Building is built to make money and host everything.

And I've seen Rush (<3 <3) and Roger Daltry at the Rog, and it's a helluva venue. Still, I don't think different acoustics would help much with the crowd sitting on their hands.

yapperface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Wetcoaster

It was no different before the move from The Rink on Renfrew - there was a reason that the Pacific Coliseum was often referred to as the Pacific Mausoleum.

Hint it was not because so many of those Canucks teams of that era were pretty much dead and buried.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by express View Post
you have enough non-suit people to be able to make some noise.

I think more than anything it's expectations. You can even see it in the playoffs.

I remember In the Nonis years even in the first round, the crowd would be rockin'... the last couple of early rounds have been much quieter.

Especially now that we're more or less guaranteed a 2nd place finish, I'm not that shocked it isn't super loud at the arena these days.
Like Henrik, the fans are waiting for the important games before getting excited.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Nick1219

A caller on the radio earlier today shared my opinion....

It was that he watches the game and analyzes everything and just wants to take in the game. See where players position themselves, what they do without the puck, and other such things.

I'm caught up watching the game. I don't make noise or scream Go Canucks Go at the top of my lungs. That doesn't make me any less of a fan though...

Nick1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
It's been like this for years. Sadly, it's a more corporate white collar crowd. Blue collar, working class fans who tend to be more boisterous have been priced out of games. It also dEpends on the team we're playing.
/thread

I wish those hardcore fans who travel to other arena's to watch the Canucks because they can afford those tickets were all bunched up in Roger's Arena, man it would shake the windows for how loud they can get.

...But thankfully the rich corporate crowd gets good and drunk to cheer loud enough during the playoffs!

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:47 PM
hlrsr

I don't think the noise in there translates well to TV but yeah it is definitely quieter in there nowadays. Part of it is the "white-collar" crowd, the other is I just don't think people are able to get as up for games after the playoff run last year. I went to game 5 of the finals and after that I find it hard myself to get really emotionally involved for a regular season game versus the Coyotes. I'm also one of those people that likes to analyze while the play is going on.

That said, I agree with people saying RA doesn't really help in that regard. The music is always loud and it does seem like you can easily get in trouble for being even a bit out of line. A friend of mine was at the Habs game and during a stoppage in play razzed some ****-talking Habs fans by saying "plaaaaayoooooooffs!!!!". The RCMP gave him a stern warning and told him to sit down. Come on now.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
I don't think the noise in there translates well to TV but yeah it is definitely quieter in there nowadays. Part of it is the "white-collar" crowd, the other is I just don't think people are able to get as up for games after the playoff run last year. I went to game 5 of the finals and after that I find it hard myself to get really emotionally involved for a regular season game versus the Coyotes. I'm also one of those people that likes to analyze while the play is going on.

That said, I agree with people saying RA doesn't really help in that regard. The music is always loud and it does seem like you can easily get in trouble for being even a bit out of line. A friend of mine was at the Habs game and during a stoppage in play razzed some ****-talking Habs fans by saying "plaaaaayoooooooffs!!!!". The RCMP gave him a stern warning and told him to sit down. Come on now.
The RCMP????

Old
03-15-2012, 01:58 PM
yapperface
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The RCMP????
More like the Gestapo amirite?

yapperface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:00 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The RCMP????
Cops. VPD. Whatever. Yes, there were police there for some reason.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
lol hardcore.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:16 PM
xtr3m

The Rogers Arena crowd feeds off the game. I guess 'insecure' is a good word to describe it. They need a few goals, a lead to start going. It's a bad catch 22 because the team could always use some extra energy in the first period.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Large public gathering with people drinking and the possibility for criminal acts to be committed by idiots... why would the police be in attendance?

Old
03-15-2012, 02:22 PM
flack

They are taking precautions to prevent a riot in Rogers Arena.

flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
They are taking precautions to prevent a riot in Rogers Arena.
lulz the rich corporate folk are not risking their jobs for a game, they shy away from confrontation.

That idiot who was screaming 'playooofs' to that habs fan was probably uber drunk, and got 'told' by the cop.

Point being the Roger's Arena crowd sucks in general till the playoffs start, but thats ok as long as they get loud when the playoffs start, as the team and the fans feed off of the positive energy from the crowd.

It's Canada's style, it's a reason why some players thrive in a ruckus canadian crowd during the playoffs, its intense and wild!

Old
03-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
The Rogers Arena crowd feeds off the game. I guess 'insecure' is a good word to describe it. They need a few goals, a lead to start going. It's a bad catch 22 because the team could always use some extra energy in the first period.
We've usually been a good 1st period team.

I'm glad its a fairly quiet building. The last thing I want to listen to is some meathead banging on the glass like a primate and screaming and hollering for no apparent reason. Cheer for hits, cheer for goals, cheer for fights...the rest of the time, shut up and watch the game like an evolved human.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:36 PM
VanTampaFan

i resent the suit comments. I am a white collar worker and when my friends and I go we almost always get a talking to from the usher for being too loud, screaming "KILL HIM!" when people are lined up for a hit, etc etc.

I feel it is more the non-fans that buy tickets cause it is the "hot" ticket in town. And you end up in these sections where people either a) dont know the rules, b) dont speak english, or c) both.

Frustrating.

VanTampaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabee88 View Post
i resent the suit comments. I am a white collar worker and when my friends and I go we almost always get a talking to from the usher for being too loud, screaming "KILL HIM!" when people are lined up for a hit, etc etc.

I feel it is more the non-fans that buy tickets cause it is the "hot" ticket in town. And you end up in these sections where people either a) dont know the rules, b) dont speak english, or c) both.

Frustrating.
Why would speaking English (note the capitalization) be a concern?

Old
03-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabee88 View Post

Frustrating.
thinly veiled brag anyone?

If you were a true rich paying fan, you'd be in the lower deck area - away from the die hard loud fans, rich corporate crowd always are in the secure area.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:40 PM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
We've usually been a good 1st period team.

I'm glad its a fairly quiet building. The last thing I want to listen to is some meathead banging on the glass like a primate and screaming and hollering for no apparent reason. Cheer for hits, cheer for goals, cheer for fights...the rest of the time, shut up and watch the game like an evolved human.
That's the kind of mentality which unfortunately results in such a poor atmosphere. No one is asking you to be a caveman but it doesn't make you a meat head to cheer your team on and join in chants. I don't like the people banging on the glass either but to shut up and watch the rest of the game quietly? It's a hockey game, not a broad way show. Winnipeg and Montreal are regarded as two of the best places to watch a hockey game. Are all those people not evolved? This is a sporting event, fans are a huge part of that experience. Any player will tell you it's fun to play in loud and hostile buildings.

Last edited by VanCanucks14: 03-15-2012 at 02:46 PM.
VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
That's the kind of mentality which unfortunately results in such a poor atmosphere. No one is asking you to be a caveman but it doesn't make you a meat head to cheer your team on and join in chants. I don't like the people banging on the glass either but to shut up and watch the rest of the game quietly? It's a hockey game, not a broad way show. Winnipeg and Montreal are regarded as two of the best places to watch a hockey game. Are all those people not evolved? This is sporting event, fans are a huge part of that experience. Any player will tell you it's fun to play in loud and hostile buildings.
The players aren't paying big money to try and enjoy watching the game with some idiot screaming for 60+ minutes straight beside them. Make noise when you have a legitimate reason to make noise, just being at the game isn't license to be a howling baboon.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Bucky Katt

This is a complicated issue and I think those who are trying to blame it on one thing and one thing only ("white collar" crowd) are oversimplifying. I have had shared season tickets for over ten years and sit near the middle in the upper deck and these are my observations, some of these have been touched on already:

Expectations This team is expected to win its division and compete for the Stanley Cup and has been for a decade. There is no reason to get really excited on a game-to-game basis. The atmosphere was a lot different in 2001 and 2002 when the team was trying to scrape into the playoffs. Vancouver fans know what games really matter.

Local culture As has been mentioned, Vancouver is more of a laid back, take it all in, kind of city. People are more likely to go to a game to be entertained as opposed to entertaining themselves.

In-house experience Again, as others have mentioned, every chance for the crowd to get into the game while the game is not on is interrupted by loud music or a promotion. There really isn't a chance to create an organic fan interaction unless it happens during the game.

Quiet are too quiet Yes, the white collar crowd and the reserved people can be really reserved. Many won't even stand and cheer for a goal. I'm not quite sure why they are even there.

Rowdy are too rowdy On the other end of the scale you have people who think the way to experience a game is to get absolutely plastered and then spill their beer on others, yell out slurred, profanity laced insults (more often at the Canucks than at the opponent) and stumble in and out of the row to get more beers and go to the bathroom. Sorry, you don't add to the experience you detract from it.

Crowd fatigue Another issue is that with the sellout streak going on almost ten years, most of the people have been going to many games for many years. The novelty and excitement of each game does wear off over time.

Lame chants Most of the people who try and start something are doing the same old things. "Go Canucks Go" for the 1000th time? The wave? The opposition goalie's name (like against Buffalo when Ryan Miller is on a 3 game shutout streak)? All lame. It would have been awesome if at the end of the Jets game a "Same old Jets" chant or something similar would have started.

People are watching the game Being at the game allows a hardcore fan to do more analysis than you can at home in terms of watching line shuffling, matchups, players away from the puck, interactions with referees and other things.

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
This is sporting event, fans are a huge part of that experience. Any player will tell you it's fun to play in loud and hostile buildings.
Hell yeah!

It's why I love the playoffs here in Vancouver, the uber fans pay for the season ticket holder's extra seats, and go buck wild.

And the rich crowd feed off that and just goes buck wild too!

And Rogers Arena goes bananas!!!!

Gotta love Canadian hockey.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Wetcoaster

Here is the policy - if you disagree then do not attend the games. Being private property the public has access subject to the rules on conduct set out. Do not plead freedom of expression, etc. as it is inapplicable.

CONDUCT & COURTESY

Canucks Sports and Entertainment is committed to creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable experience for all guests. An individual’s conduct must be legally appropriate, respect the rights of others to enjoy the event, and not be offensive or abusive to others.

UNACCEPTABLE CONDUCT IS SUBJECT TO EVICTION OR POSSIBLE ARREST AND INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
  • Use of foul, threatening or abusive language or gestures.
  • Fighting, threatening or offensive conduct towards others.
  • Intoxication or impairment due to alcohol or consumption of illegal substances.
  • Throwing objects or interfering with the progress of the event.
  • Being in possession of alcohol not purchased inside of Rogers Arena.
  • Being a minor in possession of alcohol or providing a minor with alcohol.
  • Smoking inside the arena.
  • Any other conduct that may be deemed by Rogers Arena staff to be inappropriate to the peace and good order of events or which may adversely affect the safety of persons or property.

PLEASE CONDUCT YOURSELF BY:
  • Respecting staff, guests and performers in the building.
  • Drinking Responsibly.
  • Sitting in your ticketed seat & showing your ticket when asked.
  • Not displaying rude or offensive signs and banners.
  • Not wearing indecent or inappropriate clothing.
  • Not blocking another guest’s view of the event.
  • Guests observing other patrons violating these policies or impairing the enjoyment of the event should report the situation to a staff member.
http://www.rogersarena.ca/guest-services/fan-services/fan-conduct