HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Riley Corbin

Old
03-15-2012, 09:56 AM
herbst20

vCash: 500
Riley Corbin

What is the story on Riley Corbin, goalie, and a '95? He was drafted in the 5th round of the OHL draft, but also drafted in the USHL. The article I have read on him is that he is keeping all options open, but that was dated May of last year. The reason I ask, is because the USHL team I follow, Cedar Rapids Roughriders, aquired his rights in a trade this year and I could not find any new informatoin on him. Any information you can pass along would be appreciated, Thanks!

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Top shelf

Riley Corbin

Riley Corbin is playing for the Major Midget Kings in Thunder bay

Top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:17 AM
herbst20

Yes I know he is there now, but I was looking for any information if he is leaning toward the OHL or USHL, what type of goalie he is, attributes?

Thanks though!

Old
03-15-2012, 04:50 PM
TobiasE

last i heard he was leaning NCAA and will use the U as a stepping stone, likely will still need a year to develop before heading to Cedar Rapids

TobiasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:23 PM
herbst20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasE View Post
last i heard he was leaning NCAA and will use the U as a stepping stone, likely will still need a year to develop before heading to Cedar Rapids
Thank you....Cedar Rapids loses both goalies this year.......and I was curious to see if Riley was an option or if Carlson will have to find one in the Entry Draft. Thanks again.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:13 PM
lechef

I know the family well and would like to shed a bit of light on Riley Corbin.
He went to Sioux City's camp 2 years ago and was the best goalie there which is why Luke Strand drafted him. In fact he was given a spot until 3 days after the draft when the Coach/GM (Strand) got fired.

New Head Coach/GM (2011-12 Sioux City) who did not want to rock the boat and kept both of last year's goalies until he traded Hildebrand and Riley Corbin to Cedar Rapids. FYI Corbin outplayed Hildebrand in both training camps in Sioux City so I respectfully disagree that he needs another year of development. He is ready to play junior right now! Look at Martin (Miss), Fotinos (Barrie) and Graham (Bellville). They are playing junior and when they played Thunder Bay Corbin was as good or better than those kids. So, how are they ready and not Corbin? Like I said, GTHL will get the nod.

I am told that Corbin will go where he has the best opportunity to prove himself. He persued the USHL because he is a smart kid and would like the NCAA as an option.
Wherever he ends up I believe he will be great.

lechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechef View Post
I know the family well and would like to shed a bit of light on Riley Corbin.
He went to Sioux City's camp 2 years ago and was the best goalie there which is why Luke Strand drafted him. In fact he was given a spot until 3 days after the draft when the Coach/GM (Strand) got fired.

New Head Coach/GM (2011-12 Sioux City) who did not want to rock the boat and kept both of last year's goalies until he traded Hildebrand and Riley Corbin to Cedar Rapids. FYI Corbin outplayed Hildebrand in both training camps in Sioux City so I respectfully disagree that he needs another year of development. He is ready to play junior right now! Look at Martin (Miss), Fotinos (Barrie) and Graham (Bellville). They are playing junior and when they played Thunder Bay Corbin was as good or better than those kids. So, how are they ready and not Corbin? Like I said, GTHL will get the nod.

I am told that Corbin will go where he has the best opportunity to prove himself. He persued the USHL because he is a smart kid and would like the NCAA as an option.
Wherever he ends up I believe he will be great.
As an independant observer, It was fairly obvious to me that Fotinos and Martin where better prospects. I saw Corbin play significant time last year, I like what I saw, to suggest he was on the same level as those players is untrue.

Good luck to him, wish him well.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:27 PM
lechef

I respectfully disagree that he is not at the same level. I am told that he was ranked #2 by two OHL teams as well as a top 5 by 15 others. Yes, he did interview with 17 of the 20 ohl teams. Difference is those two kids played on a top 3 GTHL teams which always receive preferential treatment. I do believe that all three are strong goalies and time will tell which tender stands above the rest. If Corbin does end up in the OHL next season it will make things easier to judge.

I do wish all 3 kids well.

lechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:32 PM
herbst20

This is great information guys. I appreciate it greatly. CR loses both goalies to college at the end of the year. Hildebrand to Michigan State and McNeely to Minnesota-Duluth. CR will return alot of other players so looking to make a run next year. I have been trying to find as much info as I can on Riley to pass on to my other Roughrider fans.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:00 AM
herbst20

I am going to bump this thread. I see Riley is in Plymouth's camp as a free agent this past week. Can anyone share anymore insight? Thanks!

Old
05-22-2012, 06:34 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
I am going to bump this thread. I see Riley is in Plymouth's camp as a free agent this past week. Can anyone share anymore insight? Thanks!
It does seem strange. Why would Sudbury release a 5th round pick? No mention anywhere on the Wolves' website.

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:16 PM
nickels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
It does seem strange. Why would Sudbury release a 5th round pick? No mention anywhere on the Wolves' website.
I was wondering the same...the Wolves signed Dupuis ...they probably released him
I watched him play last year good goalie...I remember that the Wolves were impressed by him at draft he was ranked 8th amonst goalies that year

nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:48 PM
4theloveofthegame

Whether OHL (Plymouth) or USHL (Cedar Rapids) or any junior team elsewhere. IMO wherever this young athlete ends up that team will benefit from his smarts, skill, talent, vision, agility, and passion for the game both on and off the ice. Good Luck to his future.

Last edited by 4theloveofthegame: 05-22-2012 at 09:32 PM.
4theloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:40 AM
herbst20

Cedar Rapids has their tryout camp June 8-10th so I will hopefully get to see him then. Great to hear his is a good kid and goalie.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:04 PM
herbst20

Per Future Considerations: Sounds like Plymouth will sign Corbin. All I can say is DAMN. Really wish he would have taken the NCAA route.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Ottomatic

Traded from Sudbury to Plymouth for 5th Rnd '13 and 11th Rnd '13

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote