HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke ‘inclined’ to keep Leafs' first-rounder

Old
03-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardslane View Post
That's a very interesting proposition.

Phaneuf is from edmonton and is good for 40+ points a year when healthy. he adds size and strength to their D.. some defensive short commings would be better hidden with the forward group the oilers have..
Burke not only traded for Phaneuf but also supported the idea of naming him team captain.

Bailing on Phaneuf now for a high draft pick would be self admittance of another mistake he made. In addition it would signify a 180 degree course in team rebuild direction now into a draft rebuild, something he has spoken out against as a desire to build his team on high draft picks and then wait patiently until it bears fruit.

The Kessel trade the epitome of emphasizing that point by dealing multiple high picks at the very beginning of his his rebuild plan.

Not going to dispute the premise of ULF suggestion based on Burke's previous actions of the past because Vancouver is a successful team today because of a draft rebuild that began with the Sedins. But Burke is not following that blue print here but rather his Anaheim model where trading away high picks returned him Pronger and success.

03-15-2012, 03:16 PM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardslane View Post
Once we know our gauranteed position at the end of the season it'll be interesting! wherever we finish we can potentially move back 1 slot if a team below us wins the lottery but that's it.

The way things are looking i just want to finish at least 5th worst.. a chance to move up and that would gaurantee us an elite forward if we chose to draft one.

Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Greigorenko, or Forsberg. You can't lose with any of those guys. Then Defenceman wise there are some beauties as well in Dumba and Murray.

I think Edmonton takes Dumba,Murray, reilly, or reinhart.

I'm not sure what Carolina would take to be honest.. they could use either a D man or forward..

Islanders are taking a D man.. so they'll take whichever edmonton doesn't take imo when they pick.. unless they move up and win the lottery.

It's funny because we all want the leafs to take a #1 center so winning the lottery puts us in a funny spot.. we could potentially move down to #3 if we won the lottery if we knew columbus wanted yakupov and edmonton Dumba.. If we had our sights set on Grigorenko or galchenyuk we would make something happen..

winning the lottery would you want burke to take yakupov?? the clear consensous #1? or draft a position of need in a #1 center.

Man oh man the options he'd have would be over whelming.. that would put their front office to work@!
This would be my plan if we won the lottery.

Plan #1 - Trade Phaneuf/Schenn (rather trade phaneuf as he's more expensive and incompetent as a captain) for a top 5 pick. If we manage to do that then I say to draft Yakupov with our first then get Galchenyuk or Dumba.

Plan #2 - If we cannot trade phaneuf/schenn for a top 5 pick then I'd we trade down to 3rd or 4th (depending on what the other teams plan on doing). We draft Galchenyuk and draft whoever with the other pick.

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Rainney

This moron better keep the pick.

Rainney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:20 PM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Burke not only traded for Phaneuf but also supported the idea of naming him team captain.

Bailing on Phaneuf now for a high draft pick would be self admittance of another mistake he made. In addition it would signify a 180 degree course in team rebuild direction now into a draft rebuild, something he has spoken out against as a desire to build his team on high draft picks and then wait patiently until it bears fruit.

The Kessel trade the epitome of emphasizing that point by dealing multiple high picks at the very beginning of his his rebuild plan.
I don't think it would be self admittance of a mistake. I don't see how trading for him was a mistake when we gave up nobodies. He has been captain for a few years now so its not like we are dumping our captain after only 1 year of service. It would be the right move to send him packing now before its too late. I don't see him going for a discount price when his contract expires anyways and he'll always be a defensive liability. Trade him now and we will save 4m in cap space (about 2.5m cap hit for whoever we draft). We wouldn't get worse defensively either.

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Interactif

Burke has to say he is keeping the pick, if he said less, the pick would be lesser value. I wouldn't be surprised if he dealt it this year, it has been proven he will deal picks(1sts) if he feels a player can help sooner than later.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Timing is everything.
If Burke wanted more 1st rounders he would have been a seller at the trade deadline to obtain that commodity and then he could have bundled multiple 1sts to move up in the draft.
Those 1st. rounder would have been in the 20's, probably high 20's like the 2 picks he got last year.

Quite different dealing for a Biggs than it is dealing for a Landeskog.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Everlong
-

"Inclined" to keep the first rounder?

It all depends on where the team finishes in the standings. If we finish in the 6-7-8 range, he better keep it. Any later and it opens the possibility for trade up/trade down scenarios. I don't like the idea of trading it for a roster player straight up.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:43 PM
soulie

WHY doesn't Burke just shut the hel- up. Somebody needs to put a muzzle on the guy cause everything he says is starting to grate...

soulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Fenton

Quote:
What a top five pick will give Toronto is some much needed hope for the future, with a bona fide high end prospect to add to the roster on a low entry level salary for three years.
Because that is what Schenn provided us with right?
Oh wait, all he has provided us with is some mediocre defense and a lacklustre offensive skill set. Good thing he throws a youtube-worthy hit every now and then or else he would have been shipped out already.

I hope Burke doesn't **** this pick up.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:07 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulie View Post
WHY doesn't Burke just shut the hel- up. Somebody needs to put a muzzle on the guy cause everything he says is starting to grate...
Maybe you should stop following hockey so closely if interviews with the GM bother you so much?

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:17 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Maybe you should stop following hockey so closely if interviews with the GM bother you so much?
granted, burke has become the biggest embarrassment in the nhl, or at least top 3 since coming here, with his contradictory statements and statements that have made him look downright foolish in a year or two

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:20 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
Obviously, as the fans are the client to MLSE and the ones that pay the bills.

Its the fans money that makes them rich, so of course they will cater to their target market when attempting to extract it ($$) while attempting to run a profitable business. Every successful business operates under that principle not just the Leafs.

You're a season ticket holder and you likely would love to see this pick bundled with a few Marlies/prospects and watch Rick Nash skating down the wing in Blue and White while attending games next year. You said earlier "I'm sure the vast majority of fans would be happy if Burke traded the pick for a recognizable name"..

You're buying tickets, paying for parking, eating a Burke hot dog and washing it down with your favorite beverage, wearing your Leafs jersey with the "recognizable name" printed on the back, while attending home games. So when you renew your season ticket package for next season, you would be solidifying my point, because you're the fan in the story that MLSE is catering to.
If that were true they would have been buyers at the deadline.

Like any fan, I'd love to see the Team be competitive again. How they do it is their problem. Similar to my Accountant, I don't care how he saves me money. Just save me money.

I don't park at the ACC or own a Jersey.

I wise hockey man once said(paraphrasing) "if you listen to the fans, you'll end up sitting with them".

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:20 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
granted, burke has become the biggest embarrassment in the nhl, or at least top 3 since coming here, with his contradictory statements and statements that have made him look downright foolish in a year or two
If other teams got the media exposure the Leafs get, Burke would have a lot of company. Its just that most hockey markets dont give a crap what the GM thinks so they bother asking.

Just wait until Roy becomes the coach/Gm of the Habs.....

Old
03-15-2012, 04:26 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Obviously, as the fans are the client to MLSE and the ones that pay the bills.

Its the fans money that makes them rich, so of course they will cater to their target market when attempting to extract it ($$) while attempting to run a profitable business. Every successful business operates under that principle not just the Leafs.

You're a season ticket holder and you likely would love to see this pick bundled with a few Marlies/prospects and watch Rick Nash skating down the wing in Blue and White while attending games next year. You said earlier "I'm sure the vast majority of fans would be happy if Burke traded the pick for a recognizable name"..

You're buying tickets, paying for parking, eating a Burke hot dog and washing it down with your favorite beverage, wearing your Leafs jersey with the "recognizable name" printed on the back, while attending home games. So when you renew your season ticket package for next season, you would be solidifying my point, because you're the fan in the story that MLSE is catering to.
this is absurd, every team in the nhl can say this

of course providing a better product in the present (rather than waiting with blue chip talent kids) insures that the immediate attendance is also greater

why just single out toronto, why not every other market?

in fact, toronto would have the easiest time tanking and waiting because we have the greatest revenue certainty in the nhl and it's not even close! once you get a young star in your core it's not hard for the fans to see the bigger picture.

you think oiler fans don't know what they're trying to accomplish and are not on board? i'm pretty sure most know where hall or rnh came from, and are understanding of the rebuilding process

Old
03-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Leafs03

I'm he trades our first away i'm going to riot. We ducking need a elite.prospect who we are looking forward to watch in the future. None of this kadri ****. What a bust.

Kessel, kadri for first overall.

Leafs03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:34 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
I'm he trades our first away i'm going to riot. We ducking need a elite.prospect who we are looking forward to watch in the future. None of this kadri ****. What a bust.

Kessel, kadri for first overall.
49gp 7g 11a 18p

50gp 9g 5a 14p

One of these statslines is Kadris. Care to guess who the other one is? People on this board go nuts for him. Drafted the same year.

Old
03-15-2012, 04:37 PM
number72

I'll believe Burke when he actually drafts the player rather then when he says something that he may or may not actually fulfill on .

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

I wouldn't mind if he moves the pick for Nash. Like most of the posters here, CBJ loves draft picks, almost more than players it seems (sarcasm). A pick can go either way. With an established young (under 30) star calibre guy, you know what you're getting.

If its the first and Kadri, plus a defender like Franson, I think you at the very least get Howsens attention.

Personally, Id like to see that deal expanded to include a goalie swap.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Toasterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
And here comes the ****-storm!
Well, some fans are on suicide watch because this will be 7-8 years without playoffs so it makes sense to trade the pick to try to gets vet players to make the playoffs next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
To get someone like Yakupov, I'd consider that. This team certainly could use a home grown future star.
Yakupov isn't from Ontario or even Canada, so drafting him is worthless and asking for heartbreak.

Toasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:46 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
49gp 7g 11a 18p

50gp 9g 5a 14p

One of these statslines is Kadris. Care to guess who the other one is? People on this board go nuts for him. Drafted the same year.
has to be b. schenn

yea i think people are wayyyy too hard on kadri on this board. he hasn't set the world on fire, but he hasn't been terrible.

i think retarded comments by burke and wilson are not helping because they're being parroted by a majority of our fanbase. i call them retarded because the deficiencies he has are shared by more than a few players on our roster and he is more than deserving to be up...

i swear if we had seguin and he put up 20 points in his rookie year i'd be scared to come on this board

Old
03-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Toasterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Yeesh.. I don't know about that. I think you give the majority of the fan base too much credit lol
Like the Wilson firing and not letting Grabo walk as a free agent, the fanbase will ask for one thing and then complain about it when it actually happens.

Toasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:55 PM
T M L
Sense of Entitlement

All Burke needs to do is look at Seguin in a Bruins jersey, and he will never trade another 1st again.

Lets hope the Leafs get a top 3 pick. They need it.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Ruski

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
It would be a great position to be in, I had been thinking this myself. I'm kind of of the mind Grigorenko might be a better fit for us and I guess he goes anywhere from 2-5 depending on teams needs and ratings of the players.

That said, hard to resist the best player available, Yakupov could take MacArthurs spot on the second line right away and create an asset in making him expendable.

If we took one of the Centers how long would it be before they could step in on Kessels line ? Yakupov seems to be the only choice that would instantly improve our team.
Yakupov is a center, but i would love to see Yakupov, Grabo, Kuli

Ruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:03 PM
SteveV*

Seriously guys, the ONLY team Burke means is Columbus. Most teams are still fighting for a playoff spot, not trying to cobble together draft day deals for players. If this first is already in play, you can bet your bottom dollar it's Nash related. Other teams aren't even entertaining the draft yet, only a team OUT of it and with a player they WILL be moving. I'd trade that first for Nash, it's now a very big piece!

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
All Burke needs to do is look at Seguin in a Bruins jersey, and he will never trade another 1st again.

Lets hope the Leafs get a top 3 pick. They need it.
...amusing that people still think this way. And how quickly we forget how the Kaberle deal, plus the other assets acquired by Burke related to this deal have all led to improvements across the board.

Seguin toiling on a Leaf team completely void of other top assets is a likely bust, IMO...

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote