HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#70: Rangers vs. Pens

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2012, 08:44 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
I agree. The Pens are red hot right now and look like world beaters. But then again, so did the Wings last month. And then the Bruins a couple of months before that. And look at what's happening to them now. AFAIAC, better that the Pens peak right now than in the playoffs.

Pitt has more talent and depth than us.... on paper. But as every veteran fan knows, a goalie on fire in the postseason can be the great equalizer. With the lighter regular season workload he's had this year, there's hope that Hank will be fresh and play lights out when playoff time arrives.

Anybody else stuck with watching the ROOT sports network feed notice how the announcers kept trying to compare MAF to the King? I mean, c'mon! Don't those clowns realize how homerish and lame they sound to the national audience tuned in through NBC-SP?
yes, that ROOT sports feed was PAINFUL. i cannot stand those guys. they are in an elite, and i mean ELITE class of homers. i dont think ive ever seen them give props on a good play, and every call that goes against them, they usually end up saying "i dunno about that". just like all their fans i have to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I think it's important to remember the Rangers are the 4th youngest team in the NHL. They have a rookie playing on the first line LW, they have a kid with half a season of experience coming into this year playing on the top defensive pair, and they have another handful of player swith 3 years of NHL experience or less.

And, they';;, in all likelyhood become even younger next year when likely 2 or 3 of Kreider, Erixon, or JT Miller make the team and guys like Fedotenko, and others go the way of the dinosaur.

This team hasn't learned to win in the playoffs yet. They haven't learned how to sustain winning even for a full season. This is basically year 1 of the Rangers, from rebuilding, to becoming winners. Most of us picked them in the 4-6 range coming into this season, they will all likelyhood finish with one of the 2 best records in the East, and if they played in any other division in the east would have run away with the conference.

Pittsburgh, btw, is actually the 6th oldest team in the NHL if anyone cares. Theyve won a cup, they have that experience.

Next year, if the Rangers can get Nash or Parise, will really be the year where I think they go from being a good team, to being a Great team.

Go get me this team heading into next year:

Nash - Richards - Gaborik
Hagelin - JT Miller - Chris Kreider
Anisimov - Stepan - Mitchell
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

MCD - Girardi
Staal - Erixon
MDZ - Sauer
Miller on the 2nd line already? i havent seen him play yet, but is he THAT good to be playing above Stepan at this point? even what ive read on the boards, i didnt get that impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Not as bad of a game as the score would indicate given the circumstances, but the Rangers looked outmatched. Biron was solid, aside from that 4th goal, but otherwise, the defense was abysmal.

Richards/Hagelin/Gaborik were once again the most dangerous forward line.
out first line was the only line i can remember doing anything noteworthy. every other line just seemed to be eating minutes.

and ill have to disagree with you Zenith on your opinion of Biron. yes he made some really nice saves, which were memorable, but i think they are getting in your view on the rest of his performance. Marty has looked slow lately....getting back in position, side to side when the puck is behind the net, etc... i worry every time he gets a start anymore.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:45 AM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
The whole credibility of the damn league has to be called into question when the game gets moved to NBC-S because of the return of Crybaby, and the NATIONAL BROADCAST is the re-transmission of the Pittsburgh feed.

It's more evidence in the file that the league is in bed with Pittsburgh.

With all that going on, the Rangers were the equivalent of a 16 seed last night.
What are you talking about? The game was still broadcast on MSG, it was not NBC exclusive. I'm not surprised they showed the Root feed on NBC, as the reason they picked it up in the first place is because of Crosby. (and no, I don't like the Root Sports broadcasters one bit)

This does not put the "credibility of the league" in question.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Stepanformayor*

I must say it's certainly enjoyable to read our PGT's after losses. I mean, If I was a betting man, I'd say 99 pct of our online fanbase is hopped up on 6 Monsters or Red Bulls and a half a gallon of gin by the time they get to typing some of this nonsense.

This team is fine. Thank your lucky stars they are going to clinch a playoff spot two weeks before the season ends, will have a rested goalie, and should be 99 pct healthy.

This team has nothing to prove. They've been gutting out "character" wins all season. Yeah, it sucks when super scrubs like Bickel and Boyle are deciding games, and Dubinsky and Staal are underachieving, and Macdonagh falls back down to earth.

Heaven forbid the 21, 22, 23 and 24 year old "veterans" of the team slip and stumble every so often.

I mean, are people criticizing Stepan? This kid has been anything but outstanding in a sophomore season no less. He gets removed off the top line (while he was producing) and now he sucks?

The only beefs I have is the obsession with Boyle and the inability of Staal and Dubinsky to wake up. Sather gambled on Staal being Staal come deadline time, and he isn't close. A veteran d-man might have helped. Sather did it every year at the deadline except this one. For that, I'm confused.

It took the Pens a 10-game friggin winning streak to make a game out of this. 10 GAME WINNING STREAK. And theyre still 3 games away from taking over the division.

Please. Come off the ledge. It's ok to be a little upset, but two days ago we were all in love with everybody.

Devs win Saturday and rangers beat the Avs, and faith is restored. You'll see.

Great post!! Stepan was producing Richards was not. There is no talent on the wings here thats a big problem!!

Old
03-16-2012, 08:56 AM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
What are you talking about? The game was still broadcast on MSG, it was not NBC exclusive. I'm not surprised they showed the Root feed on NBC, as the reason they picked it up in the first place is because of Crosby. (and no, I don't like the Root Sports broadcasters one bit)

What am I talking about?

Yes, it was on MSG, but only on MSG in the tri-state area. Those of us who already paid for the game through Center Ice had another game stolen from us.

The fact that the whole country minus those in the NYC area were force-fed Pittsburgh homerism and Crosby, Crosby, Crosby is flat out sickening. A national broadcast should be neutral, not a love fest for the VISITING team.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:01 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
What am I talking about?

Yes, it was on MSG, but only on MSG in the tri-state area. Those of us who already paid for the game through Center Ice had another game stolen from us.

The fact that the whole country minus those in the NYC area were force-fed Pittsburgh homerism and Crosby, Crosby, Crosby is flat out sickening. A national broadcast should be neutral, not a love fest for the VISITING team.
AMEN!!! i noticed last night that it didnt only seem like homerism, it felt straight up like turning into one of those $#itty reality tv shows.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:02 AM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
What am I talking about?

Ah, I guess that's true. I forgot games on NBC SN (even non exclusive) prevent it from being seen on CI.

It's interesting that NBC did not produce their own broadcast, the first time Crosby returned this season and NBC decided to pick up the game I remember reading an article about how they turned the bus around and headed their production to that game.

Btw, Root Sports is absolutely horrendous. Homerism on a level I don't think you can find anywhere else. Maybe I'm just spoiled by MSG, but Root Sports is really, really bad.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:02 AM
shelaur22

Even people in Pittsburgh hate the Root announcers.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:06 AM
shelaur22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1717 View Post
It's not just the past ten games that Pittsburgh has been hot. 22-4-1 in their last 27 games and have the best record since the all-star break. Ever since their 6 game losing streak earlier in the year they have obviously been very good. Don't be surprised if the rangers are hosting the flyers in the first round. However, the penguins have the 2nd toughest remaining schedule in the NHL so it will certainly come down to the wire.
I think it's funny that no one is really talking about the Flyers. They're only a game behind Pittsburgh, correct? I haven't checked the scores. Could they eventually take the conference, and we play the Pens in the first round? Would that be possible?

Old
03-16-2012, 09:25 AM
NikC

while i'm happy with the way they've played this season, it's becoming disheartening to realize that another quality season from Lundqvist is evaporating, while the team in front of him struggles to score goals.

I understand the lost yesterday was mostly due to defensive blunders, but i'm looking at this team going forward the rest of the season into the playoffs. Our biggest liability, once again is the ability to score goals.

Playing against top teams like the Penguins, it's inevitable that our defense will make mistakes, however this situation becomes compounded by the fact that we cannot score more than 2g on a consistent basis! Our defensive pairings are wearing down because of how much of the game is played in our end of the ice! That and the fact that they know they have to so little offense to work with each game, leaves then NO margin for error.

This is not a good scenario for winning hockey games. Again i'm happy for this season and for the improvement. I'm looking forward to the playoffs and some sucess. But... I'm already looking forward to the offseason, and bringing in another elite scoring talent, possibly another top offensive defenseman as well.

I hope this kid Krieder was worth holding onto, because we need at least a 20g season from him next year.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Ah, I guess that's true. I forgot games on NBC SN (even non exclusive) prevent it from being seen on CI.

It's interesting that NBC did not produce their own broadcast, the first time Crosby returned this season and NBC decided to pick up the game I remember reading an article about how they turned the bus around and headed their production to that game.

Btw, Root Sports is absolutely horrendous. Homerism on a level I don't think you can find anywhere else. Maybe I'm just spoiled by MSG, but Root Sports is really, really bad.
It wouldn't have been much different if NBC did their own broadcast because Pierre is constantly on his knees going gaga over Crosby's farts. He was literally BLUSHING when talking about watching Crosby a lot in practice recently.

Also, since the lockout there has NEVER been a picked-up national broadcast that was the Rangers broadcast. Any time it's Pittsburgh playing you get ROOT sports, which is suspect in itself, but I do think that the fact that MSG is never re-broadcast as a national cast has more to do with Dolan/MSG not allowing it than some conspiracy against the Rangers. You have to remember most local broadcasting stations are little crapholes like...ROOT sports, whereas MSG is an Emmy winning network with tons and tons of revenue. It's the difference between a big market and Pittsburgh.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
while i'm happy with the way they've played this season, it's becoming disheartening to realize that another quality season from Lundqvist is evaporating, while the team in front of him struggles to score goals.

I understand the lost yesterday was mostly due to defensive blunders, but i'm looking at this team going forward the rest of the season into the playoffs. Our biggest liability, once again is the ability to score goals.

Playing against top teams like the Penguins, it's inevitable that our defense will make mistakes, however this situation becomes compounded by the fact that we cannot score more than 2g on a consistent basis! Our defensive pairings are wearing down because of how much of the game is played in our end of the ice! That and the fact that they know they have to so little offense to work with each game, leaves then NO margin for error.

This is not a good scenario for winning hockey games. Again i'm happy for this season and for the improvement. I'm looking forward to the playoffs and some sucess. But... I'm already looking forward to the offseason, and bringing in another elite scoring talent, possibly another top offensive defenseman as well.

I hope this kid Krieder was worth holding onto, because we need at least a 20g season from him next year.
It's not just defense, the Pens gave us plenty of scoring opportunities. they were pretty loose defensively and we didn't finish. Fleury made some outstanding saves but there were opps where the shot could have been too good for him to stop and instead the shots were stoppable. I'm looking at you John Mitchell.

Old
03-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
I must say it's certainly enjoyable to read our PGT's after losses. I mean, If I was a betting man, I'd say 99 pct of our online fanbase is hopped up on 6 Monsters or Red Bulls and a half a gallon of gin by the time they get to typing some of this nonsense.

This team is fine. Thank your lucky stars they are going to clinch a playoff spot two weeks before the season ends, will have a rested goalie, and should be 99 pct healthy.

This team has nothing to prove. They've been gutting out "character" wins all season. Yeah, it sucks when super scrubs like Bickel and Boyle are deciding games, and Dubinsky and Staal are underachieving, and Macdonagh falls back down to earth.

Heaven forbid the 21, 22, 23 and 24 year old "veterans" of the team slip and stumble every so often.

I mean, are people criticizing Stepan? This kid has been anything but outstanding in a sophomore season no less. He gets removed off the top line (while he was producing) and now he sucks?

The only beefs I have is the obsession with Boyle and the inability of Staal and Dubinsky to wake up. Sather gambled on Staal being Staal come deadline time, and he isn't close. A veteran d-man might have helped. Sather did it every year at the deadline except this one. For that, I'm confused.

It took the Pens a 10-game friggin winning streak to make a game out of this. 10 GAME WINNING STREAK. And theyre still 3 games away from taking over the division.

Please. Come off the ledge. It's ok to be a little upset, but two days ago we were all in love with everybody.

Devs win Saturday and rangers beat the Avs, and faith is restored. You'll see.

Great post!! Stepan was producing Richards was not. There is no talent on the wings here thats a big problem!!
I agree, Boyle is crap. Pruster can actually produce some offense, but he needs to albatross (BB) out of his way. Once the play hits Brian's stick start back skating; we are about to play defense.

Old
03-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 1000
Quote:

False. Those of us out of market no longer had access to any other feeds outside of the NBC one. Originally I would have been able to enjoy that game on MSG instead of listening to the giant turds that do Pittsburgh games.

Old
03-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Melrose_Jr.

That broadcast was an embarrassment. Even my wife had lost patience half way through the first.

After last night, I'm definitely NOT renewing Center Ice next year. Would I have been able to watch the MSG feed through GameCenter?

Old
03-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelaur22 View Post
I think it's funny that no one is really talking about the Flyers. They're only a game behind Pittsburgh, correct? I haven't checked the scores. Could they eventually take the conference, and we play the Pens in the first round? Would that be possible?
Doubtful. Too many three point games in the NHL.

Old
03-16-2012, 10:48 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

The road to the cup out of the Eastern Conference will go through Pittsburgh, not New York...that's just a fact.

The Rangers were beat in all facets of the game last night, they weren't hard on enough on pucks, their skill is below average, and they were out-competed.

When you don't have the skill to match up with teams in the NHL, and last night's Rangers lineup did not have it, then you have to out-compete; and they didn't. Coupled with a few of those juicy rebounds that Marty gave up last night and you have a recipe for a loss that's handed to you well.

This team needs to compete until some of the prospects pan out and inject some more skill into this lineup. The Rangers will probably finish in the 4 spot, hopefully be matched up against Philly, and then we'll have to deal with the Pens in the 2nd round most likely.

Last night was the night. Go up 8 with the Pens having a game in hand or settle for up 4 with the Pens having a game in hand. Could have easily helped get the conference right there, but it didn't work out.

Hoping for quick returns from Cally, DZ, and Henke.

Old
03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
What am I talking about?

Like it or not, Crosby is the face of the league so learn to deal with it. If he played for us, you wouldn't have a problem with it.

Old
03-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelaur22 View Post
Heaven forbid that happens; it will be ba-bye in the 1st round for us.
It's been really laughable how a lot of our fans have been trashing the Flyers(who we've been beating consistently but have had way more injuries than us) all year; did you really think they weren't going to pull it together with all the talent they have there?

At this stage of the season, we should be worrying about our own team and how the remainder of the season plays out

Old
03-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Pucks View Post
I second this because it's spot on.....I wish the Rangers during those years they barely made the playoffs and before when they didn't would just have totally threw in the towel like Pittsburgh for last place and to get all those top 5 picks. Instead we fought those years prior to the lockout to make the last spot in 8th and ended up 10th and missed those top picks.....seemed almost deliberate on the Pens part during that time
I agree with you there; I remember the prevailing mood in my section and most other fans at that time was the hope that we would be bad enough to grab off a lottery pick.

Old
03-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
lol is NHL.com serious?? Crosby's assist: Must See! Crosby the best on all fronts! Crosby takes down Rangers.

Jesus i barely knew Crosby was out there except for Sam creaming every time he hopped on the ice.

Old
03-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
A few conclusions we can draw from this game and season:

We have had a very good year this year, and have overachieved.
We are low on talent versus at least 3 other teams in our conference.
Our depth is not good.
Without Henrik.....no chance of winning even 1 playoff round.
Bryan Boyle hets far too much ice time and is seriously limited.
Brandon Dubinsky has lost his game, and has sucked balls all season.
Johnny Malkin Mitchell belongs in Hartford.
Stu Bickel belongs in Hartford.
The real Marc Staal will not be back until at least next season.
Ruslan Fedotenko is washed up.
Our most likely outcome is out in round one or round 2.
We need more of the prospects to grow and come through to compete for the cup.
Yeah, this year's record has hid some weakness in the roster for sure.

Consider that the team next year will be adding:
- Kreider
- Erixon
- 100% (hopefully) Marc Staal
- (hopefully) Mike Sauer
- Potential free agent scorer

and subtracting some of this year's weak links to make room.. I think that this is a good building year but I'm not really going to be getting my hopes up until next season, I think that this year's team has too many holes due to injuries and borderline NHLers.

Still doesn't make it any easier to watch the Rangers lose to the NHL's welfare case, though.

Old
03-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Boyle needs to be on the 4th line, and Anisimov needs to the our checking line center. Stepan needs to play with Cally, and we need Erixon to come up and be effective.
Right on the money; Boyler definitely a 4th liner and Steps looks lost out there with nobody to create for/pass to; I've been talking up Erixson for weeks too!
Nice post!

Old
03-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Yeah, this year's record has hid some weakness in the roster for sure.

Consider that the team next year will be adding:
- Kreider
- Erixon
- 100% (hopefully) Marc Staal
- (hopefully) Mike Sauer
- Potential free agent scorer

and subtracting some of this year's weak links to make room.. I think that this is a good building year but I'm not really going to be getting my hopes up until next season, I think that this year's team has too many holes due to injuries and borderline NHLers.

Still doesn't make it any easier to watch the Rangers lose to the NHL's welfare case, though.
Well stated! This is a building process long term and while I'm not throwing in the towel or waving the white flag as of yet, the harsh reality is we have too many holes, not enough top shelf talent and our success to date this season has been 100% predicated on the system Tort's has the team playing, nothing less, nothing more.

Old
03-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Fataldogg

I'm not too concerned about the loss. We played the NHL's best team, one with Crosby and Letang back in the line up, and lost 5-2 with Lundqvist, Callahan, and Del Zotto out of the line up. It was to be expected.

That said, Lundqvist would not have made much of a difference. Biron didn't have a chance on the majority of the goals. Callahan / Del Zotto are much needed at this point. No secondary scoring. And you can't break up Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik because that is the most dynamic line we've seen this season.

Putting Callahan with Stepan could establish a decent second line. Stepan and Anisimov look lost without Gaborik though. It shows how much Gaborik has carried those two this year.

Old
03-16-2012, 02:41 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
I agree, Boyle is crap. Pruster can actually produce some offense, but he needs to albatross (BB) out of his way. Once the play hits Brian's stick start back skating; we are about to play defense.
thought it was me but it does seem like boyles stick is rubber or has a hole in it cause every time the puck goes to boyle it goes to the other team right after. i sure do hope cally and dz returning will get any line beside the top line a goal.

Closed Thread