HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#70: Rangers vs. Pens

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Graves94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelaur22 View Post
Re: Nash, if your defense is tired and can't bother to stop goals from happening, then your team needs to be able to keep up offensively. Gabby is the only elite scorer on this team. Yeah, Richie got 2 goals against Ward and Nabokov in home games but they suck and we won't see them in the playoffs so they don't count. We needed Nash if for no other reason than to give us the opportunity to catch up when we get down 1-3 against a team like the Pens.
Yes, well said

Old
03-15-2012, 09:36 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I said it this morning in the GDT, this was a test of our team's character. They failed, miserably. How do you not show up for this game? Pathetic.

It is truly shocking to witness how much Hank and Cally mean to this team. as bad as we played, with Hank in net we have a shot in this one. 4th and 5th goals do not happen.

Finally, it's no secret but the Pens commentators are an audio abortion. Biggest homers in the league, biggest whiners in the league, and just generally know nothing about hockey.
Yep, I wasn't fully expecting a win, but I expected them to come out and play like something was on the line. Yet the first 10 minutes role around and they can't even complete a tape-to-tape pass.

They should be ashamed.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
He wants the prospect JT Miller to be in the line-up ASAP.
Especially because Torts love rolling three lines. He requires a really good third line defensive center who can win faceoffs. Hence, JT Miller.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Amazing how a group of NHLers can be so scared of another team, one we're ahead of with 10 games left.

Pathetic display from everyone aside from our first line.

Not sure how anyone could say Marc Staal is back, he was awful tonight and hasn't even come close to what he brought last season.
Well we aren't panicking to make the playoffs like last year. The worst thing that happens is that we get knocked to 4th place. I can live with it.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:39 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves94 View Post
Exactly!

If anyone really thinks that at the moment, we are a better team than the Penguins, they are either delusional or drinking to much kool aid. I know we were missing some key players, and MAYBE we would have won this game, but can anyone really expect us to win a 7 game series against these guys?

We are on the right track though, and Sather will have to get creative this off season to get more offense, hoping that in the short term we get our players back healthy and Hank can carry us as far as he can this year.
maybe not 7, but if we played em, we'd beat em in 4.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:41 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Boyle is good on the PK(usually), but he is not good five on five. Either offensively or defensively. He can't skate or turn. So he can't cover the LARGE amount of space required for the center to cover. Often times he is caught way out of position. Prust and Feds cover A TON of his mistakes.
Very fair points. Boyle is a very likable guy, but looking at what he's put in for us objectively he really hasn't been filling the third line center roll to a T.

Old
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Well, atleast we aren't panicking to make the playoffs, like last year. The worst thing that happens is that we get knocked to 4th place. I can live with it.
The reason why I'm only furious after bad losses for a little bit. It's nice knowing the season won't end in a few weeks.

However it would be very Rangeresque to lose the division lead with less then 10 games left in the season. There's a reason why I am always skeptical with this franchise no matter how good things are looking.

Old
Machinehead
Hanta Yo

We'll see in the playoffs. If it doesn't work out, we come back next year. I got knocked back to reality a little bit tonight, but in doing so I realized just how good this team has been.

Old
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelich View Post
You didn't need to deal a 1st round pick. Preds got A. Kostitsyn for a 2nd and conditional 5th. Hawks got Oduya for a 2nd and 3rd. I would have done both of those deals. Instead we got John Scott.
Oduya's another lefty. Assuming Del Zotto's not out long term, which of Staal, McDonagh, and Del Zotto do you see him playing over? Kostitsyn might have been nice, but he's nothing special. Neither of those pieces makes us better than the Penguins.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:42 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Well, atleast we aren't panicking to make the playoffs, like last year. The worst thing that happens is that we get knocked to 4th place. I can live with it.

If someone told us before the season that the Rangers would finish 4th in the East most people would have said "Cool, thanks."

/trying to remain calm

Old
03-15-2012, 09:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelich View Post
You didn't need to deal a 1st round pick. Preds got A. Kostitsyn for a 2nd and conditional 5th. Hawks got Oduya for a 2nd and 3rd. I would have done both of those deals. Instead we got John Scott.
But if the Jets could get the same return and not deal Oduya to a top Eastern conference team with an increased likelihood of those picks being later in those rounds, why would they think twice about dealing him to a Western conference team? If the Jets had any hope for making the playoffs, they likely could have been facing the Rangers in the first round with the way the standings were shaping up at the deadline. They'd have no incentive in dealing Oduya to the Rangers unless we had the highest offer for him, and I doubt anyone would have wanted to try and top a 2nd + a 3rd rounder.

Kostitsyn is shaping up to be a good acquisition for the Preds but no doubt his game has gotten an emotional boost from being reunited with his brother. Again, there's no telling why the Habs would make a comparable deal with an eastern conference rival if they could get comparable value from a cross conference team... From the Rangers perspective, I can't think of why they would feel that Kostitsyn would be a good fit for the Rangers or their style of play. He was not exactly having a good season to boot and was on pace for low 30's in point production.

I'm not suggesting the Rangers shouldn't have made a trade, just pointing out there that there was very slim pickings for 'value' deals out there at the deadline. Lots of teams were active on the trade deadline looking to make specific acquisitions to bolster their teams heading into the playoffs, but you saw from the little activity and the going rate for some of the players being moved, that there wasn't a lot to be had out there unless GM's were desperate and willing to overpay. With the way the organization has been drafting in the early rounds, that 2nd and 3rd round pick in this upcoming draft have significantly more value to the organization than adding an average depth acquisition at the trade deadline. I would have been willing to deal any of our B-level prospects, but I'm sure any teams the Rangers talked to were either interested in high round picks or our A-level prospects which the Rangers weren't interested in parting with.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 03-15-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old
03-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Very fair points. Boyle is a very likable guy, but looking at what he's put in for us objectively he really hasn't been filling the third line center roll to a T.
Honestly, he had one solid game in Carolina. I was impressed with him in that game. He then followed that with about six bad games.

I created a thread about it a couple weeks back, I do NOT trust him as our third line center going into the playoffs.

The only way he is going to be taken out of that role is if he has an injury. Torts has been way too stubborn with him.

Old
bouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
This team is fatigued and the defense has gotten steadily worse as the season progressed so I'm not really sure if Nash would have helped all that much. The defense is probably my biggest concern right now.
If I told you at the beginning of the season that half our D in March would be comprised of Bickel/Stralman/Eminger what would you have said.

D looks spent, and half of these guys are 7th or 8th Dmen.

Old
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Oduya's another lefty. Assuming Del Zotto's not out long term, which of Staal, McDonagh, and Del Zotto do you see him playing over? Kostitsyn might have been nice, but he's nothing special. Neither of those pieces makes us better than the Penguins.
No, they don`t make NYR better than the Penguins, but getting better is getting better.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelaur22 View Post
Re: Nash, if your defense is tired and can't bother to stop goals from happening, then your team needs to be able to keep up offensively. Gabby is the only elite scorer on this team. Yeah, Richie got 2 goals against Ward and Nabokov in home games but they suck and we won't see them in the playoffs so they don't count. We needed Nash if for no other reason than to give us the opportunity to catch up when we get down 1-3 against a team like the Pens.
Yeah, we should've given them Hagelin or Stepan, McDonagh or Del Zotto, Kreider, Dubinsky, and a 1st for Nash and his massive contract. That would've been a brilliant move. This team needs more offense, but that's what the offseason's for. If you can't keep the puck out of your own net, then you won't win, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
No, they don`t make NYR better than the Penguins, but getting better is getting better.
So we should've dealt for Oduya, who Torts likely wouldn't play when our top three left defensemen are healthy? Like Wolfgaze said, both of those guys got dealt from the East to the West. You're assuming those guys could've been had for a similar return within the Eastern conference.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:47 PM
pavelich

Quote:
I just thought they would be good depth moves for when inevitable injuries crop up. They weren't going to win us the Cup or make us better than the Pens but we'd be better off with Oduya getting minutes over Bickel, Eminger or Stralman. I agree Kostitsyn is nothing special but he'd be an upgrade over Feds or Mitchell.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Sayba

Quote:
There was nothing out there. Paul ****ing Gaustad brought back a first round pick as a rental. Making a deal at the deadline would've required giving up significant young assets. No thanks.

Where he belongs is the AHL, which is where he'll be when our defense is this next year:

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-Erixon
Stralman
We have enough prospects to trade, only so many years in the window to win with Hank, Gaborik...

Old
03-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Well we aren't panicking to make the playoffs like last year. The worst thing that happens is that we get knocked to 4th place. I can live with it.
That is still a pretty big worst. That could mean Philly, Boston, & Pittsburgh back-to-back-to-back. I wouldn't take that bet, anyone who will, feel free to contact me.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:56 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Yeah, we should've given them Hagelin or Stepan, McDonagh or Del Zotto, Kreider, Dubinsky, and a 1st for Nash and his massive contract. That would've been a brilliant move. This team needs more offense, but that's what the offseason's for. If you can't keep the puck out of your own net, then you won't win, period.

So we should've dealt for Oduya, who Torts likely wouldn't play when our top three left defensemen are healthy? Like Wolfgaze said, both of those guys got dealt from the East to the West. You're assuming those guys could've been had for a similar return within the Eastern conference.
No. I was not for getting Oduya, but thought Kostitsyn would have helped. Never thought that Oduya was where NYR needed to go.

And as for Kostitsyn not being anything special, his abilility to hit the net is a lot more special than some of our players. I would take him over Dubinsky 8 days a week.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

The whole team looks gassed. Schedule guys screwed us over last quarter of season

Old
03-15-2012, 09:57 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

No Cally, no Lundqvist. No MDZ. I dont know what some fans expected tonight. Take the two most important players and their best PMD off the Penguins and they wouldn't beat us either

Old
03-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Machinehead
Hanta Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
No Cally, no Lundqvist. No MDZ. I dont know what some fans expected tonight. Take the two most important players and their best PMD off the Penguins and they wouldn't beat us either
Actually they already did beat us without Crosby and Letang....twice.

Old
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
Exactly. If the roles were reserved we win 5-2 instead of them. That's why I'm not worried at all and will bounce back easily like we've done all year

Old
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Actually they already did beat us without Crosby and Letang....twice.
He most likely means without Malkin, Crosby and Letang

Old
03-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

What is this I am reading about Arron Asham singing "New York, New York" in the Penguins locker room after the game? Where is that level of desire on our team?

Closed Thread