HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Briere, are you worried?

Old
03-22-2012, 03:53 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Then he would have been sitting since he signed the contract.

He does seem to be at a lower level defensively latelty though and I wasn't sure that was possible

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Then he would have been sitting since he signed the contract.
no excuse. sounds like Leadership Group time to me, if he's as bad as you suggest. that's unacceptable in my view. especially since he can't score.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
no excuse. sounds like Leadership Group time to me, if he's as bad as you suggest. that's unacceptable in my view. especially since he can't score.
It's truly remarkable that you didn't level this amount of criticism against Briere until he dared to criticize Bryzgalov, whereas almost everyone else in this thread has been having this discussion for a few months. Briere criticizes Bryz, and suddenly you come in to lead the charge to extreme levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post

He does seem to be at a lower level defensively latelty though and I wasn't sure that was possible
I think he's been noticeably worse overall in all aspects of the game since his concussion. He seems to just not be able to get things right. At his age, I find that extremely concerning.

03-22-2012, 04:05 PM
mcsarahbell
Rookie User

Send a message via AIM to mcsarahbell Send a message via Skype™ to mcsarahbell
I think he is struggling...but still argue for him. Tuesday night he made the horrible pass at the end of the game, in no man's land. But...he's battling...still setting guys up. If you look at his off-the-puck game it's not as bad as people are killing him for.

For his contract...yes, he's under performing. He's still a good player and I expect him to show up in the playoffs. I think the concussion set him back...and agree with that.

mcsarahbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:11 PM
TheLegendkiller

Hockey gods forcing him to play defense.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

His GAON/60 is 2.29, which is actually an improvement from what it was earlier in the year. That can possibly be chalked up to Bryz getting his act together, that has certainly dropped everyone's numbers a bit.

The other team generally scores more often (even with less average TOI) when guys like Simmonds, Schenn, Jagr, Voracek, and Talbot are on the ice. Also Giroux, but Giroux is out more than Briere is, and we know Giroux isn't a defensive stud either.

Briere is prone to some defensive breakdowns, but as Sarahbell pointed out, he probably isn't nearly as bad as people are saying. The numbers suggest that the opposing team is scoring less when he's on the ice compared to many other players. The only one of our centers who is faring better is Couturier.

Damn though, when Briere messes up, he generally does so in a big way.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
It's truly remarkable that you didn't level this amount of criticism against Briere until he dared ......
that's what he gets for PUBLICLY criticizing ANY team mate in the press.

what is truly remarkable, is that you don't seem to understand that I don't care WHO he called out PUBLICLY, that stuff needs to stay in the locker room.

never-the-less, DB is brutal right now. and the criticism is well deserved.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:24 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

I think people should lighten up on him IMO. 30 pts in 42 games before his injury, that's nae bad considering. He'll get back on his feet soon enough

TyrannoMeszarosRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

if he's hurt, he oughtta sit until he's better. if he's not hurt, there's no reason rookies should be outworking & outperforming him.

this is exactly people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
karma is a you-know-what

Old
03-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Krishna

It's becoming pathetic.. He is so useless right now..

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
if he's hurt, he oughtta sit until he's better. if he's not hurt, there's no reason rookies should be outworking & outperforming him.

this is exactly people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
karma is a you-know-what
Outperforming, sure. Outworking? You might want to watch him closer. He's working...just isn't finishing. He looked damned good in the OT. I would've preferred him on the ice setting up plays over almost all of our rookies.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:52 PM

Whenever he has a chance he fluffs it. That spin shot with Holtby down was slower than a week in prison.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

His ability to finish is nowhere to be seen, and if he tries anymore of those dekes in shootout I'll have a stroke.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Krishna

Quote:
His ability to finish is nowhere to be seen, and if he tries anymore of those dekes in shootout I'll have a stroke.
If Laviolette keeps putting him in the shootout, I'll have a stroke.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:00 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Outperforming, sure. Outworking? You might want to watch him closer. He's working...just isn't finishing. He looked damned good in the OT. I would've preferred him on the ice setting up plays over almost all of our rookies.
This. Dunno what Lavi should do with Briere right now. Keep playing him? Bench him? He's not scoring but he's been doing good moving the puck around and getting into places. But then he's finishing is just godawful.

TyrannoMeszarosRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Kaktus*

Maybe once we get JVR back he will play with Giroux? They played well almost a year ago in playoffs?

I know it is crazy to break up Hartnell and Giroux but what can you do? Got to give Briere linemates. He looked better in OT with Hartnell tonight.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJagr View Post
This. Dunno what Lavi should do with Briere right now. Keep playing him? Bench him? He's not scoring but he's been doing good moving the puck around and getting into places. But then he's finishing is just godawful.
Give couturier more time.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:07 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Read actually had a pretty solid game. Kinda invisible in the first, but playing on the 4th line can do that. Had a solid rest of the game (not just hits) and is really coming through on shootouts.

I'd try him with Couturier and Talbot, throw Voracek with Briere and Simmonds, and get Schenn on the 4th line.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:10 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Maybe once we get JVR back he will play with Giroux? They played well almost a year ago in playoffs?

I know it is crazy to break up Hartnell and Giroux but what can you do? Got to give Briere linemates. He looked better in OT with Hartnell tonight.
This. Briere needs a physical winger to take some of the bigger defenders away from him. Plus they have shown chemistry with each other since he has been in Philly. Some of our best lines were composed of hartnell and briere with some other winger. Giroux and jagr would likely continue playing well with someone else. Even if they were a little less productive offensively, it would be extremely helpful to have and offensively productive Briere. Especially with all of the rookies playing in their first playoffs this season

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:13 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Official Briere T shirt......get em while they are hot and Briere is not .

BP1974 gets one gratis....please send me your address and I will forward it onto Comcast

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:29 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Watch it come out after the end of the season hes got a sports hernia or something like it

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Outworking?
yes, too much gliding around out there. they younger players are clearly hungrier.

and they don't play 4 on 4 in the playoffs. everybody looks better w/ more ice room.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I think Briere is suffering a bit from the increased leniency from the refs regarding holdings etc.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
yes, too much gliding around out there. they younger players are clearly hungrier.

and they don't play 4 on 4 in the playoffs. everybody looks better w/ more ice room.
Gliding? Sure, if gliding is plugging away along the boards, taking a beating from larger players without giving up.

Also, I find it fascinating that you only judge Bryz by on-ice play, yet a big part of your criticism of Briere is based on something which occurred off the ice. That's a neat double standard you've got going there.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Gliding? Sure, if gliding is plugging away along the boards, taking a beating from larger players without giving up.

Also, I find it fascinating that you only judge Bryz by on-ice play, yet a big part of your criticism of Briere is based on something which occurred off the ice. That's a neat double standard you've got going there.

he sure was gliding aimlessly vs Florida, and every other Flyer is plugging away along the boards, taking a beating from players without giving up, so Danny gets no extra credit for that.
i find it funny that you are trying to deflect attention from Danny's horrible play by talking about the goalie.

by the way, i'm judging Danny's on ice 'non play' based on what I see on the ice = very little. Rinaldo had a better attempt on net tonite.

my criticism of his on ice effort is based on his on ice 'effort' or lack thereof.

the fact that he drew this extra scrutiny upon himself by shooting his mouth off publicly is HIS fault, not mine.

karma is just paying him back