HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gleason vs Soucy

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Gleason vs Soucy

Anyone got a recap on both of their bouts?

Old
11-14-2004, 09:06 PM
King Blazer

In the first fight, Soucy cross-checked Gleason from behind in the Monarchs defensive right corner. Gleason then turned the tide a few seconds later and flipped and slammed Soucy, play continued then Garon tied it up. Soucy came over to Gleason in the slot and was taunting him and trying to get him to go. Gleason just stood there like he wasn't going to have any part of it. Then, in an instant, Gleason's gloves were off and Soucy was eating punch after punch. Gleason hit him 5 or 6 times before Soucy could tie him up, Gleason then took him down pounding on him after they hit the ice. WIN GLEASON!

Second "fight", Gleason had fallen along the boards at the point in the Monarchs O-zone, Soucy slid into Gleason while he was down, Gleason took issue with it and when he got up a couple of swings by both, nothing connected be either, wouldn't really classify it as a "fight"....Couldn't tell if Soucy sliding into Gleason was intentional or not. Gleason WAS in a dangerous position on the ice with his head against the boards...

Old
11-15-2004, 04:47 AM
Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
In the first fight, Soucy cross-checked Gleason from behind in the Monarchs defensive right corner. Gleason then turned the tide a few seconds later and flipped and slammed Soucy, play continued then Garon tied it up. Soucy came over to Gleason in the slot and was taunting him and trying to get him to go. Gleason just stood there like he wasn't going to have any part of it. Then, in an instant, Gleason's gloves were off and Soucy was eating punch after punch. Gleason hit him 5 or 6 times before Soucy could tie him up, Gleason then took him down pounding on him after they hit the ice. WIN GLEASON!
I heard this one and it sounded like Soucy got his butt kicked. All they said was Gleason hit him with a right and another right and another right. They said Soucy is a dirty player. They also said that Gleason should have just waited and picked his chance. BTW why were the penatlies even Soucy was being called for something prior to the start of the fight.

I am curious wasnt the Parros fight just before this one. A Falcons players checked Kanko into or near an opern door and Parros it was said was sticking up for his teammate.

Old
11-15-2004, 05:49 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

...And I STILL don't see how people say that Grebs is the better prospect.

11-15-2004, 06:01 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word
I heard this one and it sounded like Soucy got his butt kicked. All they said was Gleason hit him with a right and another right and another right. They said Soucy is a dirty player. They also said that Gleason should have just waited and picked his chance. BTW why were the penatlies even Soucy was being called for something prior to the start of the fight.

I am curious wasnt the Parros fight just before this one. A Falcons players checked Kanko into or near an opern door and Parros it was said was sticking up for his teammate.
Gleason had two choices, back-down and skate away giving the impression he might "respect" Soucy, or do what he did. Soucy pushed the issue to that point. Honestly, it looked like Gleason was going to back down and then BANG!

I was talking with someone that sits very close to the area that the Kanko situation happened. He claims that it looked like Kanko poked the guy in the eyes with his fingers (three stooges kind of thing) while he was half in the visitors bench, through the opened door he was checked through and Parros was right there to clean up the mess...I wasn't nearly close enough to see the eye poke, but I wouldn't put it past Kanko. I don't think Parros being right there had anything to do with what Kanko did. He would have done it anyway, he's a nut!!!

Old
11-15-2004, 06:08 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
...And I STILL don't see how people say that Grebs is the better prospect.
For me, Gleason is without doubt the tougher, more physical, plays with more of an edge D-man than Grebs. They play 2 completely different games....I guess it really comes down to, what people look for in a d-man???

Old
11-15-2004, 06:12 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
For me, Gleason is without doubt the tougher, more physical, plays with more of an edge D-man than Grebs. They play 2 completely different games....I guess it really comes down to, what people look for in a d-man???
Gleason has the offense though too. He just hasn't even tapped into it yet.

Old
11-15-2004, 06:28 AM
Word

Quote:
Gleason had two choices, back-down and skate away giving the impression he might "respect" Soucy, or do what he did. Soucy pushed the issue to that point. Honestly, it looked like Gleason was going to back down and then BANG!

I was talking with someone that sits very close to the area that the Kanko situation happened. He claims that it looked like Kanko poked the guy in the eyes with his fingers (three stooges kind of thing) while he was half in the visitors bench, through the opened door he was checked through and Parros was right there to clean up the mess...I wasn't nearly close enough to see the eye poke, but I wouldn't put it past Kanko. I don't think Parros being right there had anything to do with what Kanko did. He would have done it anyway, he's a nut!!!
Dont get me wrong Soucy should get his butt beat but the timing could have been better is all I am saying. Also if this case had been Flinn then it wouldnt be a problem but Gleason is what the Monarchs no 1 or 2 defenceman. If Soucy did what you say then I think Gleason did right but dont make it a habit because other teams will use it to remove him from the ice.

Kanko - Why is it that the more that I hear or read about this kid the more I want to see him play for the Kings

If you have the chance ask Kanko if he knows if he is a european player and suppose to be soft

Last edited by Word: 11-15-2004 at 06:41 AM.
Old
11-15-2004, 06:51 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Kanko - Why is it that the more that I hear or read about this kid the more I want to see him play for the Kings

If you have the chance ask Kanko if he knows if he is a european player and suppose to be soft
I'd be happy to see him play for the Monarchs...

Ask KJ. He had a grand time interviewing him.

Old
11-15-2004, 07:58 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Dont get me wrong Soucy should get his butt beat but the timing could have been better is all I am saying. Also if this case had been Flinn then it wouldnt be a problem but Gleason is what the Monarchs no 1 or 2 defenceman. If Soucy did what you say then I think Gleason did right but dont make it a habit because other teams will use it to remove him from the ice.
There is little doubt in my mind that Soucy knew exactly what he was doing and yes, he took Gleason off for the 5-mins. You are absoultely right that the timing could have been better. I think it's fair to say that I wasn't the only one in the arena that was surprised when Gleason dropped the gloves and started pounding away. Tim is young and I'm sure as time goes on, he'll learn to pick his battles...

Quote:
In every game Kanko plays, you can pretty much count on at least one pile-up in front of the visitors net with Kanko on the goalie and 2 d-men piled on him. Picture this: All of a sudden you'll look in front of the net, see a pile-up and a purple shirt on top of the visiting goalie and a couple of visiting d-men on top pounding away. Then a black helmet comes sliding out of the frey and we all look at each other and say Kanko..Earlier in the season, opponents would push his helmet from the back so that it would slide over his eyes. Kanko has answered with a helmet that is way too big for him so when they try to slide it, it just comes off. I'd guess that it comes off 5 to 6 times a game now...

Quote:
No way, he'd kick my butt!!!

Last edited by King Blazer: 11-15-2004 at 10:32 AM.
Old
11-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Folks, No BS about soft Euro's otherwise I must interfere.

Old
11-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3
Gonna hit us with your purse, Garry.

I'm kidding! I'm kidding!

Old
11-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Those scandinavians and former Czechoslovaks, they are the ones to blame. They have a history of 'softness' and they give us all a bad name !

Old
11-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
I'd be happy to see him play for the Monarchs...

Ask KJ. He had a grand time interviewing him.
I tried to ask that question.

I think his response was something like

"Wel you know the European and North American styles are very different. I just try to work hard and help my team."

Old
11-15-2004, 03:17 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
I was under the impression he has tapped into it yet, but DT and AM want him to be a more physical, defensive defenseman because he uses his speed to go too deep into the offensive zone.

Old
11-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Bill Guerin wants a word with you.

Old
11-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Bill Guerin has never been one of the smartest.

Old
11-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Bill Guerin has never been one of the smartest.
8 million a year from Dallas says "you're wrong".

Old
11-15-2004, 04:48 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Yup I agree. People say that Grebs is a smart player, doesn't make mistakes.. Well, yes he is a very smart player, but when was the last time you saw Gleason make a mistake? In the OHL, Gleason was one of the leading scorers on defense. In fact in the 01-02 season Gleason was 3rd overall on his team.

Grebs has an advantage on the offensive side, but only by a little bit. Gleason is for sure the more physical player.

Old
11-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us
Yup I agree. People say that Grebs is a smart player, doesn't make mistakes.. Well, yes he is a very smart player, but when was the last time you saw Gleason make a mistake? In the OHL, Gleason was one of the leading scorers on defense. In fact in the 01-02 season Gleason was 3rd overall on his team.

Grebs has an advantage on the offensive side, but only by a little bit. Gleason is for sure the more physical player.
I disgree, about Grebs only have a little bit more offense. I know Gleason put up big numbers but he was told to put on weight and concentrate on defense because that would be the way into the NHL. When I saw Grebs play for those two short games he jumped into the play a lotttt which showed me he wants to score and he will score. Gleason will be a top 4 defenseman but I think Grebs is the next LUBO.

Old
11-15-2004, 06:42 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
I disgree, about Grebs only have a little bit more offense. I know Gleason put up big numbers but he was told to put on weight and concentrate on defense because that would be the way into the NHL. When I saw Grebs play for those two short games he jumped into the play a lotttt which showed me he wants to score and he will score. Gleason will be a top 4 defenseman but I think Grebs is the next LUBO.
Eh.. If I were to give grades on their offense, I'd give Grebs probably a B+, and maybe Gleason a C or C+. So yeah Grebs has a distinct advantage on offense, but Gleason can still put up numbers, if the Kings wanted to use him in an offensive role. In fact, when Gleason got traded from Ottawa to us I read a lot about Tim, and he said that he is categorized as an offensive defenseman, and would like to work more on his defensive game.

And boy he worked on it, and has become as solid as they come. Nobody wants to go into the front of the net with this guy. He always has good inside position, and hammers away on opposing players. The puck goes into the corner, and the other player gets PUNISHED by Timmy. Grebs on the other hand...

And if I were to compare players with Grebs, I wouldn't consider him a Lubo. He plays more like a mini-Lidstrom (whom I think is overrated), or even a Steve Duschene.

Old
11-15-2004, 09:37 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Those scandinavians and former Czechoslovaks, they are the ones to blame. They have a history of 'softness' and they give us all a bad name !
You would think that Scandinavians would be tough, being former Vikings and all....

Old
11-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us
Eh.. If I were to give grades on their offense, I'd give Grebs probably a B+, and maybe Gleason a C or C+. So yeah Grebs has a distinct advantage on offense, but Gleason can still put up numbers, if the Kings wanted to use him in an offensive role. In fact, when Gleason got traded from Ottawa to us I read a lot about Tim, and he said that he is categorized as an offensive defenseman, and would like to work more on his defensive game.

And boy he worked on it, and has become as solid as they come. Nobody wants to go into the front of the net with this guy. He always has good inside position, and hammers away on opposing players. The puck goes into the corner, and the other player gets PUNISHED by Timmy. Grebs on the other hand...

And if I were to compare players with Grebs, I wouldn't consider him a Lubo. He plays more like a mini-Lidstrom (whom I think is overrated), or even a Steve Duschene.
I wouldn't mind if Grebs turned into the next Duschene at all......

Old
11-16-2004, 01:31 AM
two out of three*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I wouldn't mind if Grebs turned into the next Duschene at all......
No believe me that would be great. Im not saying I don't like/want Grebs, Im just saying Gleason is a bit of a better player. Duschene when he was in his prime was one of the best pure skaters if not the best in the league similar to Grebs.

Old
11-16-2004, 03:38 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
I was under the impression he has tapped into it yet, but DT and AM want him to be a more physical, defensive defenseman because he uses his speed to go too deep into the offensive zone.
Correct. He's got the talent though. That's all I'm trying to say.

Closed Thread