HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rate Pekka Rinne's dive in Sharks game. I give em a......

Old
03-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei

vCash: 500
I don't know, usually when goaltenders embellish stuff they have a tendency to immediately look for the referee to make the call. After the tap it looks to me Rinne just focused into Havlat. I could be wrong. What the heck went into Havlat though?

Doothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Last game against LA, Brown had a bit of a dive and Zetterberg went after him for it too. You could actually see him mouth nice ****ing dive.

Seems like the players are getting sick of the diving and the refs not calling it. Havlat goes after Rinne, Zetterberg goes after Brown
Well if they're sick of it they should stop making stupid interference plays. Havlat was stupid for messing with Rinne's skate, and Zetterberg was stupid for interfering with Brown on a potential breakaway.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:30 PM
SharksFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Looked to me like Rinne lost his balance.

And then Havlat went for a dive himself right into Rinne.
Havlat definitively made the extra effort to fall into Rinne after a Pred. pushed him, but that was only because Rinne did a complete dive to try and get a interference call... in the end it actually work for him in a round about way.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:32 PM
OrrNumber4

Havlat hooked him. Like a good player Rinne sold it a bit, but I don't doubt that Havlat threw him a little off-balance (which is still interference/tripping/hooking).

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red08 View Post
Props for Havlat! Reading from the comments here, I guess not a lot of people realize Rinne plays with a chip on his shoulder. Something like this was bound to happen some time or another.
Rinne is incredibly humble; I don't think you could be more wrong on the chip part. I've never seen Pekka dive before nor really embellish; I thought he lost his balance but threw some embellishment in. When Corey Perry speared the **** out of him in the nuts in the playoffs last year, he could have easily flopped around like a fish, but he didn't:

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
8 / 10 Classless Subbans from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stoverall View Post
7/10 sidney crosbys
What's the exchange rate between these two currencies?

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

top tier dive... and props to havlet for not taking it like a punk and going after rinne for his antics...

Danish Pastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:49 PM
ponder

That is an absolutely massive dive, no way he just lost his balance there, that was a crazy light tap. I like Rinne, but that was a huge, HUGE dive. Props to Havlat for going after him, players need to know that diving like this is unacceptable in hockey.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Sureves

Pretty horrible dive

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

I'll give it a 10 simply because I can't tell if he dived or not.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:04 PM
NucksOnly
Go Whitecaps & Lions

Hasek worthy!

NucksOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

If he was fine, and dived. 7/10 Crosby's for Rinne
If havlat tried to trip him. 7/10 Subban's for Havlat.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:15 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Ever since Miller complained there have been way too many week goalie interference calls, and goalies diving

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:41 PM
kakemono

Can there never be a middle ground?

Maybe Havlat caught him at a wierd moment, but Pekka didn't fight himself falling, etc.

We talk in extremes. You have the Shark people screaming DIVE DIVE DIVE CHEATER DIVE and the Preds saying NO DIVE HAVLAT DIE HAVLAT.

Err on the side of the middle ground.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:42 PM
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
That is an absolutely massive dive, no way he just lost his balance there, that was a crazy light tap. I like Rinne, but that was a huge, HUGE dive. Props to Havlat for going after him, players need to know that diving like this is unacceptable in hockey.
This.

And just for clarification, havlat did not get a penalty for that - there were offsetting roughing calls for the scrum, and a tripping call for a play that happened over at the boards.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Again, a team playing with that mentality doesn't have much ground to complain about diving.

Regardless what you think about Rinne in that clip, Havlat interfered with him for no reason twice in 5 seconds. Have a little discipline for crying out loud.
Okay we agree that Havlat did hook him, but it's that tap was nothing. I would much rather see my top-6 guy who just got back from IR, bugging other goalies until they flop, than see my multi-million goaltender flop on the ice like a fish when he barely gets touched. I was fine with this penalty, if Rinne doesn't want people around him he should clear the crease himself.

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Rinne is incredibly humble; I don't think you could be more wrong on the chip part. I've never seen Pekka dive before nor really embellish; I thought he lost his balance but threw some embellishment in. When Corey Perry speared the **** out of him in the nuts in the playoffs last year, he could have easily flopped around like a fish, but he didn't:

Dude it's right there, he clearly flopped. Why is it more logical for Havlat to trip a goalie right in front of a ref, as oppose to Rinne diving?

You say Rinnie is a class act and never does that, well show me all the "Havlat trips goalie" videos and I might take your side. Saying "he doesn't do that" is just the worst excuse.

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

There is absolutely nothing wrong with selling a call. It happens every game. It's just more noticeable when a goalie does it because they have those huge awkward pads on.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsey View Post
Dude it's right there, he clearly flopped. Why is it more logical for Havlat to trip a goalie right in front of a ref, as oppose to Rinne diving?

You say Rinnie is a class act and never does that, well show me all the "Havlat trips goalie" videos and I might take your side. Saying "he doesn't do that" is just the worst excuse.
Good portion of non-Preds fans are saying he lost his balance. You're a sharks fan and saying it's a dive. I said it was a combination of losing his balance and embellishment (i.e. middle ground).

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemono View Post
Can there never be a middle ground?

Maybe Havlat caught him at a wierd moment, but Pekka didn't fight himself falling, etc.

We talk in extremes. You have the Shark people screaming DIVE DIVE DIVE CHEATER DIVE and the Preds saying NO DIVE HAVLAT DIE HAVLAT.

Err on the side of the middle ground.
I'm not a huge fan of this thinking. As Richard Dawkins says..

"...when two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:16 PM
hockeyball

I'm pretty sure Rinne dove based solely on the fact that he got tapped, looked at Havlat and then went all jelly legs.

I'm pretty sure Havlat was so infuriated about it that he went after Rinne for it without really thinking. Probably an "Oh you piece of ****!" reaction. I don't really have a problem with it, that kind of thing can go a long ways to getting a goalie just a little off their game.

The most ridiculous part of the whole thing is after the dive, and the scrum the Pred's only ended up with 2 minutes of penalties.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:24 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

I enjoy Rinne's game... but that was god awful... He did a terrible job selling it.

I really have no idea how some think he lost his balance

nice sell job by Havlat, as he gets cross checked, he gives Rinne one as well...

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Swervin81
Leafy McDreamy

Rinne just lost an edge. After that, Havlat wasn't expecting a 6'5" Gaustad to mug him into Rinne so that's what caused him to brace up and cross-check Rinne.

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:48 PM
RomersWorld*

Rinne took an awful dive against the Hawks earlier in the year, so he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me. 8.9/10 subbans

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Cursed Lemon
Anyone who thinks this isn't a total dive completely forfeits their right to analyze ANY hockey footage from here on out (and all past judgments are now null and void), and is officially blind.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote