Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

How do you say "Nail"?

Old
11-27-2011, 11:50 PM
drive45

vCash: 500
How do you say "Nail"?

There is no Tatar board here, so I will ask this question here: What is the correct pronunciation of "Nail" (as in Yakupov)? The North American broadcasters pronounce it as though it were the Anglo-Celtic name "Neil" (e.g. Neil Armstrong or Neil Diamond). Is that pretty close? Or is it more like 2 distinct syllables like "NAH-yeel" or "nah-YEEL"? Or more like the English word "Nail" (as in 'hammer')? Or something else?

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:33 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
2 syllabes Nah-eel

11-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 04:54 AM
drive45

great reply, Helpoing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
Can't do better than hearing the man himself say it. Very surprised to hear that "Yakupov" is closer to "ya-KUPF" (to my anglo ears, anyway)

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Ihmeilja

Exactly like it's in finnish. Jakupoff.

Ihmeilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:02 PM
ephmrl
#tanknation

Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
Came here to post this haha

ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 09:44 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoVonMatterhorn View Post
Came here to post this haha
Good God. I listened to it like 4 times in a row and can barely hear his last name at all.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 03:19 AM
DanTHEMan71

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive45 View Post
Can't do better than hearing the man himself say it. Very surprised to hear that "Yakupov" is closer to "ya-KUPF" (to my anglo ears, anyway)
It's funny that you should mention that. My background is Russian but I was born and raised in Canada so I'm used to making that mistake when pronouncing some Russian last names.

People in NA tend to make mistakes with the last names ending in "ov". They tend to put the empahsis on the "ov" when the emphasis is usually on the first or second syllabul.

I.E. People say varlamOV, zubOV, makarOV, morozOV. But they're really pronounced var-LAH-mv, ZUbv, ma-KAH-rv, Mo-RO-zv.

It's kinda weird to explain but typically you don't extend the ov, you usally roll over it. Some exceptions I can think of are Kozlov and Fedorov. But Kozlov is more Khaz-lov not Kohz-lov. And Fedorov is more Fyod-rv. It's quite tricky if you don't speak the language.

But either way, if you speak English it's easier to sound out the name and extend the ov. Plus, it rolls better in English dialect.

It would be weird to hear NA commentators actually pronounce foreign names perfectly lol. They'd be saying things like Alex Syomen instead of Semin and that would suck cause there aren't any good puns that go with Syomen lol.

Last edited by DanTHEMan71: 02-26-2012 at 03:26 AM.
DanTHEMan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:09 AM
LOFIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTHEMan71 View Post
It's funny that you should mention that. My background is Russian but I was born and raised in Canada so I'm used to making that mistake when pronouncing some Russian last names.

People in NA tend to make mistakes with the last names ending in "ov". They tend to put the empahsis on the "ov" when the emphasis is usually on the first or second syllabul.

I.E. People say varlamOV, zubOV, makarOV, morozOV. But they're really pronounced var-LAH-mv, ZUbv, ma-KAH-rv, Mo-RO-zv.

It's kinda weird to explain but typically you don't extend the ov, you usally roll over it. Some exceptions I can think of are Kozlov and Fedorov. But Kozlov is more Khaz-lov not Kohz-lov. And Fedorov is more Fyod-rv. It's quite tricky if you don't speak the language.

But either way, if you speak English it's easier to sound out the name and extend the ov. Plus, it rolls better in English dialect.

It would be weird to hear NA commentators actually pronounce foreign names perfectly lol. They'd be saying things like Alex Syomen instead of Semin and that would suck cause there aren't any good puns that go with Syomen lol.
Good luck with finnish names...

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Dafgat

Send a message via ICQ to Dafgat
Funny thread. One notice that drove me crazy when I look at the NHL games is the way how Americans pronounce the last name of Kovalchuk. Seriously, there is K - O - V - A - L(League - close the way how you pronounce the first "L" in that word) - ch (like a (CH)ance) - U (like a tr(UE)) - K.
And there is close to N - A (like (U)nder) - I ((i)nch) - L ((L)eague).
Try to hear that in League. Very close to originally Russian sound.
Heh, though you cant to realize what I am talking about. And of course, sorry for my terrible English. Good luck ^_^

Dafgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:06 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Na-Hab

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 04:46 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTHEMan71 View Post

I think North Americans actually stress the first syllable, though it's often incorrect. I've never heard anybody emphasize the last syllable of a Russian surname. When the surname ends in the -ov suffix, the first syllable is usually the one stressed.

i.e. KO-vol-chuk, DAT-sook, FED-or-ov, YAK-uh-pov.

Before commentators were corrected about which syllable to stress, they could call Shirokov "SHEER-o-kov," and Varlamov "VAR-la-mov."

With some names, especially the longer names, North Americans will stress the second-last syllable. They'll also stress the second-last syllable when the suffix is -in.

i.e. Ah-fan-ah-SENK-ov, Ah-fin-o-GEN-ov, Grig-or-ENK-o, Sah-PRYK-in, o-VECH-kin.

These probably aren't the correct ways to pronounce these names, but that's how North Americans pronounce them.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
I think North Americans actually stress the first syllable, though it's often incorrect.
That's not even 100% accurate either.

The stress should be on the first syllable with Slovak (and Czech) names.

English commentators get those terribly wrong too. c is a 'ts' sound, and 'ch' is as in the German 'ach' or the Scottish 'loch.' It really grates on my when they try to put a hard j in.

Židlický (ZHEED-leets-key) and Chára (KHAAh-rah) are two that are really badly butchered all the time. The Olympiques have two NHL bound players right now, one a Slovak and the other a Czech) that are going to get their names butchered - Jánošík (YANN-o-sheek) and Hyka (HEE-kah). Hyka has already had his name mispronounced on SportsCentre, after that pre-season game with the Flyers.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote