HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rejean says Desharnais over Pacioretty for Masterton

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2012, 01:08 PM
  #101
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Uh no, you said no one wants to give him credit for it. Giving less credit is not giving no credit.
Lol.

You know, if you had read my argument with some sort of intellectual integrity this discussion would be over by now.

The point was that the hockey world has a stigma towards short players. To pretend that this stigma doesn't have any effect on a player, which is essentially what is being done by saying "he's just short," is not just giving less credit, it's giving him less credit than he deserves.

But you want to argue about semantics about whether people are giving him no versus little credit?



Also, you'll note that I didn't say "no one gives him any credit," but rather "no one wants to give him credit for how far he's come." That should be understood as "no one wants to give him credit commensurate to the level of his achievement vis-a-vis the impediments that were put in his way."

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:27 PM
  #102
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Hardly, he fits the criteria of the award. He is where he is because of years of perseverance. Perseverance is the main criteria of the award.



You can't talk about his situation as just 'being short,' without talking about what that means for a hockey player.

Lots of guys are 5'7. There's like...one player in the NHL currently who is shorter than DD. There's a reason for that. That reason is that being that short is almost a death sentence for your hockey career.

The only reason DD isn't being considered for the award is that he doesn't have the histrionics of other cases attached to his situation. Maybe if he recovered from alcoholism and did exactly what he's doing now it'd pull on people's heart strings more. But it wouldn't make the argument anymore valid than it is now.
I can't believe I just read this. Bill Masterton died from hockey related injuries. Past "winners" of the trophy awarded in his name have been players who have been stricken by cancer or some other affliction that seriously impaired their ability to havea career. Most players would gladly give up their award to have been spared the life experiences that led to their trophy.

Every hockey player has to show perseverence to get to the NHL and stay there, but there are some people whose lives have been run over by a truck. It's ridiculous to think Desharnais deserves one iota of consideration for this award for being a little smaller physically. In fact he's living a charmed life it would seem.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:27 PM
  #103
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,821
vCash: 500
Noticed that Marty St. Louis never won this award while also being an undrafted small guy that is a much better player than DD. This has agenda all over it.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
  #104
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,335
vCash: 256
Quebec will soon get a team Rejaune, hang in there

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:31 PM
  #105
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Noticed that Marty St. Louis never won this award while also being an undrafted small guy that is a much better player than DD. This has agenda all over it.
It really, really does. I completely agree.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:32 PM
  #106
Ollie Williams
Registered User
 
Ollie Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
............

Almost dying, almost being paralyzed, almost losing everything he's worked hard for.. Coming back and becoming a 30 goal scorer and top line player.

vs.

Being short.

Give me a ****ing break.
Who is to say Desharnais didn't work his butt off for that?

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:33 PM
  #107
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Lol.

You know, if you had read my argument with some sort of intellectual integrity this discussion would be over by now.

The point was that the hockey world has a stigma towards short players. To pretend that this stigma doesn't have any effect on a player, which is essentially what is being done by saying "he's just short," is not just giving less credit, it's giving him less credit than he deserves.

But you want to argue about semantics about whether people are giving him no versus little credit?



Also, you'll note that I didn't say "no one gives him any credit," but rather "no one wants to give him credit for how far he's come." That should be understood as "no one wants to give him credit commensurate to the level of his achievement vis-a-vis the impediments that were put in his way."
You made a blanket, hyperbolic statement that no one gives DD credit for how far he's come. Which is ******** btw. I then countered that no one is saying he should get no credit, just not so much credit to get an award for it. I was just responding to what you wrote, not what I was supposed to read into it.

So who's not being intellectually honest?


Last edited by windycity: 03-16-2012 at 01:39 PM.
windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:52 PM
  #108
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
You made a blanket, hyperbolic statement that no one gives DD credit for how far he's come. Which is ******** btw. I then countered that no one is saying he should get no credit, just not so much credit to get an award for it. I was just responding to what you wrote, not what I was supposed to read into it.

So who's not being intellectually honest?
Seriously, I don't get why folks are screaming that we're not giving him credit if we don't support him being nominated for this award...

By all means, give him credit for making the NHL and playing well. I don't think he deserves to be nominated for an award for doing this. This doesn't mean that I hate Desharnais or respect what he's done.

DD is quickly becoming a guy who you can't say anything remotely negative about without posters freaking out. Folks need to be a lot less sensitive on this. He's a good hockey player who's got heart. I don't think he deserves an award for it. That doesn't mean I hate him. End of story.

And I think that the posters who've accused Rejaune of doing this for political reasons are dead on. No way he writes the article if the player's name is Mike Smith. I'm sorry but it's true and we all know it. Sad thing is that by overhyping the guy, an inevitable backlash will happen with those who start to feel that he's getting overrated.

He's a good player. Let's just be happy about that. We don't need to give him a freaking award for making the NHL.


Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-16-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:57 PM
  #109
DrunkenHabz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Didn't Arpon Basu tweet the same?
Yes and actually quite a lot of people think this way, but it seems HF boards wannabe experts know better. Pacioretty is obviously the first one that comes to mind because of his concussion.

Though, by definition: "...given to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey."

Scratch sportsmanship from the Pacioretty arguments as he himself inflicted a concussion to Kris Letang, and unless you are biased toward the Habs or are just stupid, you can't deny it was a vicious blindside hit. He's been improving on the 'complaining' part over the past weeks, but he needs to think before saying stuff to the media or on twitter that he'll regret afterwards.

If you look at it this way, Desharnais was undrafted, kept working hard even though everybody told him he'll never play in the NHL because he was too small, was among the best of the best in each of his junior teams, never complains about his wingers, never complains about not producing (because he always produces), he's not dirty, rarely goes to the penalty box, he always shows up and give his 110%, he stole the first line spot off Plekanec, he's a beast on PP, is 4/7 in shootouts (now that is remarkable lol).... and this only on his second season in the NHL.

I'm not saying that Pacioretty does not deserve it. In fact I'd give it to him in a symbolic way, just to put an end to the Chara-Pacioretty incident and not make the whole province of Quebec go into a riot (looks like we're good at it). But yes, he of course deserves it, scoring 30 goals after a hit like that is pretty good, but the guy was already on a very good pace before that hit, so he's not exactly challenging the odds here. Chances are he would have done it anyway...

Just pointing to the fact that it is possible for people to have a different (and valuable) opinion than the one the HF boards posters are pushing in your brain.

I mean seriously, what's not telling me any of you guys are fat virgins sitting in front of the computer all day long in underwear, in their parents' basement? What credibility do you got? How can you possibly make more sense than experienced journalists (I'm not saying they all are) who cover the Montreal Canadiens and the NHL for a living? How can you not understand the simple definition of this trophy?

Pac and DD are both excellent choices for the Masterton trophy, you should be happy about that instead of debating on this stupid thread. Thanks, I'm out.

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:10 PM
  #110
obcd1
Registered User
 
obcd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
The two deserve the nomination, I just don't like the article.

Anyway there is still next season for Desharnais.

obcd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:11 PM
  #111
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,470
vCash: 500
Of course he does.

__________________
Interested in checking out 50+ years worth of covers from "The Hockey News?" Check out my collection here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1382901
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:12 PM
  #112
obcd1
Registered User
 
obcd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post
I mean seriously, what's not telling me any of you guys are fat virgins sitting in front of the computer all day long in underwear, in their parents' basement? What credibility do you got? How can you possibly make more sense than experienced journalists (I'm not saying they all are) who cover the Montreal Canadiens and the NHL for a living? How can you not understand the simple definition of this trophy?
You could have made sense but you lost all credibility right there

obcd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:13 PM
  #113
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
I love Davey but Patches was the obvious choice this season.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:21 PM
  #114
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post
Pac and DD are both excellent choices for the Masterton trophy, you should be happy about that instead of debating on this stupid thread. Thanks, I'm out.
So it not this thread, you know the one called "Rejean says Desharnais over Pacioretty for Masterton", which thread should this be debated on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post
How can you possibly make more sense than experienced journalists (I'm not saying they all are) who cover the Montreal Canadiens and the NHL for a living?
Right, because journalists are always right. What exactly makes them any more qualified to opine on this than anyone else here? Because they cover the Habs? So what. What makes them more qualified than the team that nominates the player?


Last edited by windycity: 03-16-2012 at 02:27 PM.
windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:25 PM
  #115
M.C.G. 31
Moderator
#4
 
M.C.G. 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Greece
Posts: 41,503
vCash: 50
At first, I was shocked, but then I realized it's a French journalist backing the best French player on the team, so I'm not surprised.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:25 PM
  #116
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post
Though, by definition: "...given to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey."
Thats essentially every single solid NHLer. They have all shown dedication and perseverance to hockey. Sportsmanship? Well you can basically say every NHLer at one point in time, not acting in this manner.

So DD basically showed what it takes for NHLers to make it to the NHL. Thats not what the award was intended to be.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:28 PM
  #117
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Looking at the past winners, guys who came back strong after going through difficult times. I don't think it's the candidates who have to change, it's the description of the trophy that has to be developped. At this point, it's way too vague of a trophy.

That said, I completely disagree with Rejean and everyone who says that Desharnais should've been nominated before Pacioretty. Desharnais is like every other small NHL player who worked his butt off to be where he's at despite people telling them they're way too small to succeed. Giving that trophy to Desharnais, or any other player with a similar story, would be like reminding him again that he was supposed to be "too small to succeed".

And besides, if Desharnais never has another season like this one, no one will remember him in 10 years. But If Pacioretty never scores 30 again, he'll always be remembered as the guy who came back from a near career ending injury, to have the best season of his career.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:28 PM
  #118
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Thats essentially every single solid NHLer. They have all shown dedication and perseverance to hockey. Sportsmanship? Well you can basically say every NHLer at one point in time, not acting in this manner.

So DD basically showed what it takes for NHLers to make it to the NHL. Thats not what the award was intended to be.
Yes but somebody informed him along the way that he's short so there's that

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:31 PM
  #119
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,834
vCash: 500
I'm sure Desharnais would've seen it as an insult for the Habs to nominate him over Patches. Essentially, Tremblay is saying Desharnais overcame being a midget as if it were some kind of handicap. Besides, Desharnais isn't the first small guy to play in the NHL. By Tremblay's logic all players of small stature (ie. St-Louis, Briere, and one day Gallagher) should win this award. It makes no sense.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:31 PM
  #120
Not The One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montréal, Qc.
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice 31 View Post
At first, I was shocked, but then I realized it's a French journalist backing the best French player on the team, so I'm not surprised.
As opposed to anglo fans backing an anglo player, right?

As opposed to anglo fans constantly regugitating anything Tony Marinaro says but bashing "French" journalists at every occasion.

Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I'm sure Desharnais would've seen it as an insult for the Habs to nominate him over Patches. Essentially, Tremblay is saying Desharnais overcame being a midget as if it were some kind of handicap. Besides, Desharnais isn't the first small guy to play in the NHL. By Tremblay's logic all players of small stature (ie. St-Louis, Briere, and one day Gallagher) should win this award. It makes no sense.
For an NHL player, being 5'6'' is kind of a handicap. How many players of that height were drafted in the last 10 years?

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:33 PM
  #121
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
As opposed to anglo fans backing an anglo player, right?

As opposed to anglo fans constantly regugitating anything Tony Marinaro says but bashing "French" journalists at every occasion.

Right?
ummm what? i rarely if ever see anyone think Marinara Sauce has any valid point. That goes for Jack Todd as well.

So your just throwing out crap now.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:33 PM
  #122
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,097
vCash: 500
I never cease to be amazed by Tremblay; it takes a real talent to display one's ignorance of the subject matter and blatant bias in so condescending a manner.

I'm quite amazed at how he can run down an exceptional draft year, which has yielded no less than three significant NHL players -- Grabovski, Emelin, and Streit -- and paint that as a failure because Desharnais was not drafted, even though he was not drafted by any other club either and the Canadiens were the ones to actually give him his shot.

I also note that he can't resist taking a shot at Timmins and quoting a nebulous "insider" who says the Habs' drafting needs to be overhauled... let me remind you that by many objective measures, the Habs are one of the five best-drafting clubs of the last 10 years, if not outright the best.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:35 PM
  #123
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
As opposed to anglo fans backing an anglo player, right?

As opposed to anglo fans constantly regugitating anything Tony Marinaro says but bashing "French" journalists at every occasion.

Right?
Mission accomplished for Rejaune...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:38 PM
  #124
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I never cease to be amazed by Tremblay; it takes a real talent to display one's ignorance of the subject matter and blatant bias in so condescending a manner.

I'm quite amazed at how he can run down an exceptional draft year, which has yielded no less than three significant NHL players -- Grabovski, Emelin, and Streit -- and paint that as a failure because Desharnais was not drafted, even though he was not drafted by any other club either and the Canadiens were the ones to actually give him his shot.

I also note that he can't resist taking a shot at Timmins and quoting a nebulous "insider" who says the Habs' drafting needs to be overhauled... let me remind you that by many objective measures, the Habs are one of the five best-drafting clubs of the last 10 years, if not outright the best.
Totally agree on all pts. The guy is a complete a$$ clown. His problem with our drafting is that we're not taking enough Quebecois.


Last edited by windycity: 03-16-2012 at 02:44 PM.
windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:49 PM
  #125
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,097
vCash: 500
I'm also curious why 60-70 point center Koivu and 60-70 point center Plekanec were not suitable to be dubbed number one centers, but 60-70 point center Desharnais is.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.